Old 10-14-2018, 07:22 AM   #1
dtpancio
Human being with feelings

Default Treating two tracks as identical

I record my guitar tracks with the Axe-Fx II which as two stereo outputs, a dry and a wet. I use them both because I can reamp if I want, using the dry track or I can load a plugin to the dry track and use the twos panned. It happens to re-record some parts, using takes and crossfades.

The functionality I'm looking for is to manage this two tracks in the same way.

If I have a wet recording with some takes recored after, to correct mistakes, for example, I would like to the automatically the same with the dry recording.

I know there's the possibility to group tracks, but I cound't find a way to do what I'd want.

Thanks in advance!
dtpancio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 08:54 AM   #2
Robert Randolph

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtpancio View Post
I record my guitar tracks with the Axe-Fx II which as two stereo outputs, a dry and a wet. I use them both because I can reamp if I want, using the dry track or I can load a plugin to the dry track and use the twos panned. It happens to re-record some parts, using takes and crossfades.

The functionality I'm looking for is to manage this two tracks in the same way.

If I have a wet recording with some takes recored after, to correct mistakes, for example, I would like to the automatically the same with the dry recording.

I know there's the possibility to group tracks, but I cound't find a way to do what I'd want.

Thanks in advance!
In reaper you group items, not tracks.

Check out this video for a start:

Robert Randolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 03:18 PM   #3
dtpancio

You can group tracks parameters but it's not what I'm looking for.

And thanks man but you're video doesn't help me too.

What I'm looking for is..imagine having a stereo track, left is wet, right is dry, every time you record, add takes, cut, paste, etc. you're applying these operations on both the wet and the dry channel. That is what I'm looking for, and I can do it already since I can set the stereo track as inputs 2 and 3 of the Axe-Fx II (1 is left wet, 2 is right wet, 3 is left dry and 4 is right dry). The problem is, as you can imagine, I have to mono signals where I'd like to have to stereo signals on two separate tracks.
Old 10-14-2018, 05:26 PM   #4
Robert Randolph

Quote:
You can group tracks parameters but it's not what I'm looking for.

And thanks man but you're video doesn't help me too.

What I'm looking for is..imagine having a stereo track, left is wet, right is dry, every time you record, add takes, cut, paste, etc. you're applying these operations on both the wet and the dry channel. That is what I'm looking for, and I can do it already since I can set the stereo track as inputs 2 and 3 of the Axe-Fx II (1 is left wet, 2 is right wet, 3 is left dry and 4 is right dry). The problem is, as you can imagine, I have to mono signals where I'd like to have to stereo signals on two separate tracks.
If you record these items on separate tracks, you can treat them as one. That's what the video explains.
Robert Randolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 06:48 PM   #5
domzy

maybe record it as a 4-channel file ( and split it to two stereo files later, if need be)
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 07:06 PM   #6
SonicAxiom

Quote:
so you wanne record the wet and the dry stereo signal coming from the Axe-FX simultaneously? As domzy suggests, do the following:

Create a track where you will record the wet AND dry STEREO signal at once as a multichannel file (4 channels). To accomplish this, create a track, label it something like "guit rec" and set the track to 4 track channels in the track's routing dialog. Uncheck "Master send". Right-click the track's input selection, choose "4-channel" and pick the 4 channels you want (like Axe-FX 1 through Axe-FX 4).

Create two more empty tracks. Label one of them "Axe-FX wet" and the other one "Axe-FX" dry". Open the routing window of "guit rec" again and create a send to "Axe-FX wet". Then create another send, this time to "Axe-FX dry". Configure this latter send to send from audio 3/4 to audio 1/2!

You can now record both stereo signals simultaneously on the "guit rec" track into a 4-channel file. You can also record takes if you like. The first two channels of the 4-channel file (= wet signal of the Axe-FX) can be manipulated via the "Axe-FX wet" track (fader, mute, track fx, etc.) while the dry stereo signal arrives at the "Axe-FX dry" track. You might normally wanna mute this track as it is only meant as a backup for re-amping purposes. In case you wanna re-amp using this signal, you could create a hardware output directly from that track, using the appropriate output into the Axe-FX and record the processed signal on another track or just mix it live on-the-fly (latency may have to be compensated manually).

The track cofig looks like this:

Old 10-18-2018, 01:27 PM   #7
dtpancio

Thanks! That's exactly what I need! Works great, thanks again!
Old 10-18-2018, 01:34 PM   #8
SonicAxiom

Quote:
Thanks! That's exactly what I need! Works great, thanks again!
you're welcome! happy to hear that it works for you