Old 11-16-2018, 03:06 PM   #1
Tod
Human being with feelings

Default Horizontal Zoom in/out in the Midi Editor?

To best explain, I'm working on video tutorials in the Midi Editor. The problem I'm having
is not being able to zoom in & out precisely, and when I have to redo a video capture, I can't
get the same zoom position I had in the original capture.

I'm aware of the finer scroll on the scroll bar, but it's not close enough to get the degree of
precision I need.

I checked out the zoom scripts in ReaPack, but couldn't find anything that worked.

I think being able to zoom precisely in very small increments would probably do the job.

What do you think scripters, any ideas?
Old 11-17-2018, 08:15 AM   #2
Tod

Humm, a little bump.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:48 AM   #3
FnA

Hi Tod. Is it possible for you to use the Project Sync mode while you make these videos? Maybe you could use SWS save/restore arrange view slots to have same zoom level to go back to do another video take? Just an idea. I imagine it could be insufficient or unworkable in your particular case.

I think some things might be possible with “chunk editing” style script for fine zooming non-synced midi editor, but that is beyond my abilities. There could be something else, but I don’t know it, other than hand scroll/zoom or the scroll bar manipulation that you mention.
FnA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 04:15 PM   #4
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by FnA View Post
Hi Tod. Is it possible for you to use the Project Sync mode while you make these videos? Maybe you could use SWS save/restore arrange view slots to have same zoom level to go back to do another video take? Just an idea. I imagine it could be insufficient or unworkable in your particular case.

I think some things might be possible with “chunk editing” style script for fine zooming non-synced midi editor, but that is beyond my abilities. There could be something else, but I don’t know it, other than hand scroll/zoom or the scroll bar manipulation that you mention.
Thanks a lot FnA, for your reply, I think you've answered my question and there's probably not much I can do.

Project Sync won't work because I'm using 2 projects for this, one project has all the dialog, as well as
where I'm assembling the video and editing it over the dialog. The other project is where I'm getting my
screen capture videos in the Midi Editor. This is working quite well except when I have to go back and redo
something, or simply to continue on but the screen has changed from what I need it to be.

I don't know if the save/restore arrange view works in the Midi Editor, but I've used it enough to know it
would add another cog to the wheel which is already confusing enough.

If Reapers zoom didn't get out of sync with it self, there would be no problem, but it does so, quite often,
and is nearly impossible to get it back.

Again thanks FnA, your scripts have been very very useful.
Old 11-18-2018, 06:16 PM   #5
FnA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
I don't know if the save/restore arrange view works in the Midi Editor, but I've used it enough to know it
would add another cog to the wheel which is already confusing enough.
I don't think it will, unless Project Sync is being used, but I'll mention that there are Save/Restore Slot 1-5 actions for loop selection as well and an action in the MIDI Editor to zoom to project loop selection. I realize this may not be helpful, but figure I should mention it anyway. I am not aware of any dedicated functions for zoom/scroll in the MIDI Editors. Again, it MIGHT be doable with chunk editing, but I'm not sure, and don't entirely know how to do that stuff safely anyway.
FnA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 06:53 PM   #6
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by FnA View Post
I don't think it will, unless Project Sync is being used, but I'll mention that there are Save/Restore Slot 1-5 actions for loop selection as well and an action in the MIDI Editor to zoom to project loop selection. I realize this may not be helpful, but figure I should mention it anyway. I am not aware of any dedicated functions for zoom/scroll in the MIDI Editors. Again, it MIGHT be doable with chunk editing, but I'm not sure, and don't entirely know how to do that stuff safely anyway.
Thanks again FnA, I've got that "zoom to project loop selection", and I gave it a try, the problem is I'm
capturing the whole screen, well 1920 x 1040 pixels. The problem I ran into is that it was difficult to
get a proper loop set up. However, you just gave me an idea, maybe I could setup a loop, say between two
markers. That would give me a base, then zoom in or out from there. Heh heh, that might work.

Thanks for sticking with me FnA.