Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 11-08-2018, 12:42 PM   #1
cullam
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper can't find files - that are clearly there

So, I've just installed Reaper on my Desktop, and gotten both my desktop and laptop copy to keep the Reaper Media folder in my dropbox. Specifically because I want to be able to record on my laptop, and edit on my desktop. So, trying to load projects on my desktop for the first time, I get a replace missing file dialog, for every take. When I browse for the file, I go to the folder where they are, and in Reaper's dialog, it shows that folder being empty of anything except for the project file. If I tell it to just look for wav files, they still don't appear. In windows explorer, I can see that they are plainly there. Anyone know what's going on here? I've got the error box, along with the path to the files shown in an image, attached. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: png reaper error.PNG (47.7 KB, 503 views)
cullam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 12:56 PM   #2
solger

Just to clarify (since it's not visible in the Windows Explorer in your screenshot): Is the drive letter in the path 'E:\Dropbox\...' the same on both the Desktop and Laptop?

Quote:
If I tell it to just look for wav files, they still don't appear.
Have you also already tried to browse for the files manually?: https://reaperblog.net/2015/02/video...offline-files/

Last edited by solger; 11-08-2018 at 01:02 PM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 01:21 PM   #3
cullam

Yeah, manual search is the trouble I'm having. I use the Search for File button, select the folder that they're in. That doesn't seem to do much, so I use the Browse for File button, go to the folder that they're in, and I just see the project file. None of the wavs appear.

As for the drive, that is only on the desktop, which I'm using for this now. That's where I opened the project file from, and where I'm trying to tell it to find the missing wav files. Do I need to have the paths on the two systems be identical? I'd imagine that if they aren't, I'd just have to tell it where to find the tracks. But of course, the problem I'm having now is that when I tell it where to find the tracks, it doesn't see the files, when I show it the folder that they're in.
Old 11-08-2018, 01:48 PM   #4
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cullam View Post
Do I need to have the paths on the two systems be identical?
I'd imagine that if they aren't, I'd just have to tell it where to find the tracks.
Yeah, in general, relinking the files will be necessary every time the path changes. So this extra step won't be necessary when having identical paths on both systems (if possible).

Quote:
I'd imagine that if they aren't, I'd just have to tell it where to find the tracks. But of course, the problem I'm having now is that when I tell it where to find the tracks, it doesn't see the files, when I show it the folder that they're in.
It seems strange that it only shows the .RPP project file and not any of the other files in the same folder ...

In the Browse for file dialog window: is the file type filter box to the right of the file name field set to [All supported media files] (to make sure that no file types are filtered out)?

Otherwise does it make any difference when launching Reaper as admin (via Right-Click > Run as administrator)?
Just to check if it might perhaps be a file/folder user permission problem ...

Last edited by solger; 11-08-2018 at 02:04 PM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 02:18 PM   #5
cullam

Yeah, I have the type set to All Supported Media Files. Just to be paranoid, I tried setting it to just show wavs. No dice. Also no luck running as admin, although that was a good idea.
I'm totally stumped here. Is there any way that the dropbox file properties are messing it up? I really can't see how they would be.
Old 11-10-2018, 11:37 AM   #6
cullam

Default SOLVED

I found the problem. Dropbox was lying to me on my laptop about file synching. The actual wave data files hadn't been transfered over, only the peaks files - which are still .wav, but have no real audio data. I've given Dropbox a thump to notice that it still has files to upload, and that should take care of the issue.
Old 11-10-2018, 12:24 PM   #7
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cullam View Post
I found the problem. Dropbox was lying to me on my laptop about file synching. The actual wave data files hadn't been transfered over, only the peaks files - which are still .wav, but have no real audio data. I've given Dropbox a thump to notice that it still has files to upload, and that should take care of the issue.
Great to hear that you could resolve the issue

As a general side note:

Do you perhaps have file extensions set to be hidden?: https://www.howtogeek.com/205086/beg...le-extensions/
Because ReaPeak files have .reapeaks as file extension and in your screenshot it shows, for instance, only '01-Top-181106_2044.wav' (filename) instead of '01-Top-181106_2044.wav.reapeaks' (filename + extension)
Old 11-14-2018, 10:31 AM   #8
Philbo King

I've had the same problem with Dropbox. In general it's best to not map a project to any sort of cloud storage, but keep the working copy on a local drive, and use cloud storage for backup and file transfers only.

I switched to Google Drive a while back. Dropbox (free) limits you to 2 GB, while Google limit is 15 GB.