Old 11-08-2018, 02:26 PM   #1
pandabot
Human being with feelings
 
pandabot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 12
Default ChordGun (tool for inserting chords and scale notes)

This tool fires scale chords and notes into a composition, either by sequencing through the MIDI Editor or recording directly into Media Items.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CqVYcN3VAw

You can install it using ReaPack
pandabot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 03:22 PM   #2
amagalma
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,341
Default

Very nice! Thank you!
amagalma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 03:42 PM   #3
Vagelis
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Larisa, Greece
Posts: 107
Default

Great thanks!!
Vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 07:54 PM   #4
EpicSounds
Human being with feelings
 
EpicSounds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5,106
Default

very cool.
__________________
REAPER Video Tutorials, Tips & Tricks and more at The REAPER Blog
EpicSounds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:08 PM   #5
lachinhan
Human being with feelings
 
lachinhan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Can Tho - Viet Nam
Posts: 75
Default Awesome

Awesome! Thank you
__________________
NK Recording Studio
Email: lachinhan@gmail.com or admin@thuamninhkieu.com
Website:nkpro.top
lachinhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 12:19 AM   #6
Nantho
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 92
Default

Very cool ! Thanks a lot
Nantho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 02:44 AM   #7
X-Raym
Human being with feelings
 
X-Raym's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: France
Posts: 5,238
Default

Really advanced script, well done !
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 03:26 AM   #8
Eliseat
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Cologne
Posts: 637
Default

Holy macaroni!

This is incredible!

Many thanks for your great work.
Eliseat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 03:39 AM   #9
DaveKeehl
Human being with feelings
 
DaveKeehl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 1,587
Default

Omg this is awesome. Great work!
__________________
My band: Spotify | iTunes | YouTube | Bandcamp | Amazon | Google Play
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClI...NKp8d-lsUKRu2Q
REAPER Contest: Website | Donations | YouTube
DaveKeehl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 04:26 AM   #10
vanhaze
Human being with feelings
 
vanhaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 4,698
Default

Can't believe this, WOW !!
vanhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 06:44 AM   #11
Ozman
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 477
Default

Very nice.
Very useful.

Option request:
Can it be made to use the scales from the chosen reascale file?
I use Z-ultimate, which have some exotic scales within it.
It would be nice to have it wholesomely integrated in such a way.

Also, like Lokasenna's Theory Helper, if there's a scale already in use, that it defaults to that scale?

Overall, I'm loving it!
Ozman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:21 AM   #12
Jason Brian Merrill
Human being with feelings
 
Jason Brian Merrill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Northeastern PA, USA
Posts: 20,677
Default

now, all we need is an arpeggiator to make realistic piano parts
__________________
Beliefs do not require respect. People do.
Jason Brian Merrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:33 AM   #13
vitalker
Human being with feelings
 
vitalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 4,281
Default

What a powerful thing!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexan View Post
Make a thread "F%#! you Reaper! I quit!" to get more views and feedback since these kind of threads get much more traction
SoundCloudFR: "Real" Non-destructive GLUEAll the REAPER names
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:49 AM   #14
Jason Brian Merrill
Human being with feelings
 
Jason Brian Merrill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Northeastern PA, USA
Posts: 20,677
Default

oh man, if only the midi track could report back to chordgun, and you could automatically trigger scale notes of the chord you're on!!!

Great tool - will be using this one
__________________
Beliefs do not require respect. People do.
Jason Brian Merrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 09:04 AM   #15
Jason Brian Merrill
Human being with feelings
 
Jason Brian Merrill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Northeastern PA, USA
Posts: 20,677
Default

is there a way to call a script from a track template? I'd love to have this just automatically show up
__________________
Beliefs do not require respect. People do.
Jason Brian Merrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 11:49 AM   #16
pandabot
Human being with feelings
 
pandabot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 12
Default

thanks everybody

Ozman: i don't have any plans to integrate the reascales, but I can tell you how to add scales if you're willing to get your hands dirty

Jason Brian Merrill: check out RapidComposer for making more complicated articulations and arpeggiations, this is just a simple tool but it is open source so you could add that stuff if you want. I feel like adding articulations would be like opening pandora's box towards complexity, and would probably end up recreating stuff already available in tools like rapid composer.

I'm not sure if tool states are included in project templates, if not there are the "startup action" Actions available through SWS extensions https://imgur.com/a/1TCCSYp
pandabot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 12:24 AM   #17
vanhaze
Human being with feelings
 
vanhaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 4,698
Default

pandabot,

Do you maybe have a list with all available keyshortcuts in Chordgun
which you can post here ?
I watched your YT video but the showed shortcuts go abit to fast for my seeing.
vanhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 05:57 AM   #18
Ivannn Bennnettt
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 219
Default

Thank you much!
Ivannn Bennnettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 07:12 AM   #19
Jason Brian Merrill
Human being with feelings
 
Jason Brian Merrill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Northeastern PA, USA
Posts: 20,677
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandabot View Post
thanks everybody

Ozman: i don't have any plans to integrate the reascales, but I can tell you how to add scales if you're willing to get your hands dirty

Jason Brian Merrill: check out RapidComposer for making more complicated articulations and arpeggiations, this is just a simple tool but it is open source so you could add that stuff if you want. I feel like adding articulations would be like opening pandora's box towards complexity, and would probably end up recreating stuff already available in tools like rapid composer.

I'm not sure if tool states are included in project templates, if not there are the "startup action" Actions available through SWS extensions https://imgur.com/a/1TCCSYp
I could hook it up with another program, sure - this is such a good tool.
__________________
Beliefs do not require respect. People do.
Jason Brian Merrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 07:41 AM   #20
vitalker
Human being with feelings
 
vitalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 4,281
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post
pandabot,

Do you maybe have a list with all available keyshortcuts in Chordgun
which you can post here ?
I watched your YT video but the showed shortcuts go abit to fast for my seeing.
You can change the speed to 0.25, but I've made screenshots of them.
https://imgur.com/a/jl7oaqW
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexan View Post
Make a thread "F%#! you Reaper! I quit!" to get more views and feedback since these kind of threads get much more traction
SoundCloudFR: "Real" Non-destructive GLUEAll the REAPER names
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 07:55 AM   #21
vanhaze
Human being with feelings
 
vanhaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 4,698
Default

Very kind of you, thank you for the effort vitalker !
vanhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 09:05 AM   #22
pandabot
Human being with feelings
 
pandabot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 12
Default

hey very nice

they're also available when you right click in ReaPack browser and click "About this package" https://imgur.com/a/FVHtpJc
pandabot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 09:30 AM   #23
vitalker
Human being with feelings
 
vitalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 4,281
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandabot View Post
hey very nice

they're also available when you right click in ReaPack browser and click "About this package" https://imgur.com/a/FVHtpJc
It is far better.
Thanks.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexan View Post
Make a thread "F%#! you Reaper! I quit!" to get more views and feedback since these kind of threads get much more traction
SoundCloudFR: "Real" Non-destructive GLUEAll the REAPER names
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 01:49 PM   #24
vanhaze
Human being with feelings
 
vanhaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 4,698
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandabot View Post
hey very nice

they're also available when you right click in ReaPack browser and click "About this package" https://imgur.com/a/FVHtpJc
Aha, didn't know that ; great tip !
vanhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 06:01 AM   #25
micha
Human being with feelings
 
micha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Germany
Posts: 110
Default

what a great tool! thank you for that!

one queston: is it possible, to let play, just as long as a key or mouse is pressed?


grrets

micha
micha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 07:58 AM   #26
pandabot
Human being with feelings
 
pandabot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 12
Default

it is definitely possible to detect when a mouse key is released and what you describe was actually the original behavior, but decided I liked this behavior better with having a single mouseclick ring out

unfortunately it is not possible to detect when a key is released, although I came up with a hack that seems to work on my machine (note offs are detected with just a small delay). The problem is that it relies on a number that you have to tweak before it works right, and this number is likely different for each user's machine so decided against implementing it for the general public
pandabot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 10:40 PM   #27
hopi
Human being with feelings
 
hopi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Right Hear
Posts: 13,627
Default

great thing and thanks.... I too do wish there was a clk on the GUI to play nothing... i.e., all notes off...
__________________
...should be fixed for the next build... http://tinyurl.com/cr7o7yl
https://soundcloud.com/hopikiva/angel-rain
hopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 05:43 AM   #28
micha
Human being with feelings
 
micha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Germany
Posts: 110
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandabot View Post
it is definitely possible to detect when a mouse key is released and what you describe was actually the original behavior, but decided I liked this behavior better with having a single mouseclick ring out

unfortunately it is not possible to detect when a key is released, although I came up with a hack that seems to work on my machine (note offs are detected with just a small delay). The problem is that it relies on a number that you have to tweak before it works right, and this number is likely different for each user's machine so decided against implementing it for the general public
ok. great tool anyway!
micha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 09:07 PM   #29
MusoBob
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 415
Default

Thanks awesome ! I might add that into ReaTrak https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=212645
Had to right click Record Arm button > Monitor Input as well as arm to get sound, if anyone else has that problem.

Last edited by MusoBob; 11-15-2018 at 09:36 PM.
MusoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 08:12 PM   #30
Fergler
Human being with feelings
 
Fergler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,646
Default

Great tool! Using it with joy

Can you add dim7 and aug7 chords?
__________________
Check out my hip-hop, funk-rock band Theatre Crisp
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 10:22 PM   #31
MusoBob
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 415
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergler View Post
Great tool! Using it with joy

Can you add dim7 and aug7 chords?

I have a massive list of chords in Script: ReaTrak snap midi takes to chords.lua
it just converts the chord name or one of it's alias to a reascale, rather than having more buttons you could just have a textbox with an enter button you enter other chord names in maybe ??
MusoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 01:04 AM   #32
Breeder
Human being with feelings
 
Breeder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Croatia
Posts: 1,858
Default

No words...simply awesome!
Breeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 06:01 AM   #33
pandabot
Human being with feelings
 
pandabot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergler View Post
Great tool! Using it with joy

Can you add dim7 and aug7 chords?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusoBob View Post
I have a massive list of chords in Script: ReaTrak snap midi takes to chords.lua
it just converts the chord name or one of it's alias to a reascale, rather than having more buttons you could just have a textbox with an enter button you enter other chord names in maybe ??
I'm not going to do that, but if you want to add chords it's not too bad just search the source for the string "chords = {" and you'll see where they're all defined and you can add entries to the list there. Similarly if you search for the string "scales = {", you can add new scales by adding new entries to that list.

Note that because of the way the scripts are packaged up, you will have to add this new entry to not only the GUI action but also all of the keyboard shortcut actions in order for everything to work properly. Unless you only ever use the GUI action, then all you have to do is add your new chord/scale one time by editing the pandabot_ChordGun.lua file.
pandabot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 02:07 PM   #34
vgmrmojo
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 14
Default chordgun won't stopping playing chord

When I play the chord with chordgun it does not stop it just plays the chord forever.How do I stop this > Using the latest version of reaper
vgmrmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 02:27 PM   #35
pandabot
Human being with feelings
 
pandabot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 12
Default

Try the Action "pandabot_ChordGun stop all notes from playing"
pandabot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.