Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 11-11-2019, 09:11 AM   #1
SmajjL
Human being with feelings

Default Microsoft: Defender ATP is coming to Linux

https://www.zdnet.com/article/micros...linux-in-2020/

maby oops place.. (not REAPER music topic) was thinking Linux people.. ohh well, spank me gently..

Last edited by SmajjL; 11-11-2019 at 01:16 PM.
SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 09:36 AM   #2
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmajjL View Post
https://www.zdnet.com/article/micros...linux-in-2020/

maby oops place.. (not REAPER music) was thinking Linux people.. ohh well, spank me gently..
This is for Linux email servers so they won't distribute emails with Windows viruses to machines running Windows is my guess.

Either that or Microsoft wants to trick Linux users into installing M$ surveillance software onto their Linux machines.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 09:53 AM   #3
SmajjL

I don't think your Glennbo'ness of very HOT burning Linux flame is without reason and ending anytime soon & I was happier being ignorant I think.. haha
What is the world coming to... .. .

Old 11-11-2019, 10:20 AM   #4
Glennbo

I could see the first example I posted as being a legit possibility, but the second example is based on my distrust of Microsoft.

For example, two nights ago I decided to do some astro-photography out in my backyard, and upon plugging my Canon EOS into my Windows 8.1 laptop (one of the two remaining Windows machines in my house), I am alerted that Windows can't automatically install the driver.

The freeking camera had been previously setup, but since then I had disabled automatic installation of drivers because Microsoft keeps hosing my WiFi by installing a bad Broadcom driver. Anyway, I had my telescope setup and ready to capture some images so I clicked the panel asking me to allow that again. I did, it finally worked, I got some great shots and then last night my WiFi went wonky on the laptop again. Freeking Broadcom driver was installed again! GRRRRRR!!!

The telescope with Canon camera attached.

And some captures of the moon, the M110 galaxy, and the Double Cluster.

Last edited by Glennbo; 11-11-2019 at 12:09 PM.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:31 AM   #5
SmajjL

Nice!! looks like you rrrreeealy! want to get far-far away from Microsoft
Just an hour ago I saw someone's eye here as an avatar and thought about the crab nebula.

I've experienced that Windows can install a new connected device before me, but after I install the proper one and Windows should decide to re-install something else over it, never happened for me, that would be something to make a song about in that case LoL…

So if I pull the internet plug and install my stuff, all goody, then connect internet, this can happen? oooooook… ? hmm

Old 11-11-2019, 10:46 AM   #6
Glennbo

Quote:
Nice!! looks like you rrrreeealy! want to get far-far away from Microsoft
Just an hour ago I saw someone's eye here as an avatar and thought about the crab nebula.
I've seen the avatar you mention and wondered if that is his eye, and if so how much security risk he's opened up posting it.

Quote:
I've experienced that Windows can install a new connected device before me, but after I install the proper one and Windows should decide to re-install something else over it, never happened for me, that would be something to make a song about in that case LoL…

So if I pull the internet plug and install my stuff, all goody, then connect internet, this can happen? oooooook… ? hmm
This is, Microsoft assumes they always know better than me, and I take that as an insult. They tried ramming Windows 10 down my throat on more than 15 machines I administered, and every time I'd do something to prevent the automatic installation of an OS I didn't want, they'd circumvent my method of blocking it, and try again to the point of becoming a malware attack.

My WiFi driver issue had been resolved by disabling automatic installation of drivers and me manually rolling back the original Microsoft driver. The Broadcom driver works initially, but then fails and at that point won't re-connect to the router until the router has been rebooted. Never ever happens with the Microsoft driver, but Windows 8 will install the bad Broadcom driver the moment I allow Windows to install drivers for me, since Microsoft thinks they know better than me what works on my hardware.
Old 11-11-2019, 11:37 AM   #7
SmajjL

I know about Windows7 EOL is coming up, but it is not Windows8 EOL? so should not Windows7 users be "forced whiptie-doo'ed" / upgraded into 8 first, not 10?
.. not that this might be happy nation XP anyway, just thinking..

At least Microsoft is Big Company (with reputation to loose) been around for a loooooong time, and if a programmer does crap that is out of line there, fixed+fired! *I hope*
One thing is MS and their business gets my info for everything to work, another if bad-trolls get it.. and I hope MS make it their business to protect us. (Optimistic theory)

On the Linux side I download a whole Distro.iso from some dude/dudette I don't know, but hey, it's open source, all is well.. eum?
.. not that simple should I be picky and I have been on Windows for so long obviously feel safer in their arms (for now)
So for Linux, it helps if the Distro have been around for a while without bad oopsies.

Old 11-11-2019, 11:59 AM   #8
Glennbo

Quote:
I know about Windows7 EOL is coming up, but it is not Windows8 EOL? so should not Windows7 users be "forced whiptie-doo'ed" / upgraded into 8 first, not 10?
.. not that this might be happy nation XP anyway, just thinking..
The two touchscreen devices I have running Windows 8.1 have official support until January 10 2023, and for that reason I am leaving them as Windows for now. When their expire date closes in though, I plan to turn them into Linux machines along with all the Win7 machines that are now running Linux.

Interesting side note: Yesterday the Linux media machine in my living room was acting up and I identified that it's power supply was going out. Since that is one of the machines with an Intel CPU that will never get a fix through microcode from Intel to address the mds security flaw, I pulled that machine and put my Raspberry Pi 3 B+ in it's place. I have xfce setup on the Pi, installed Kodi for it, and configured it to work with my existing media center remote control. The thing acts and performs just as well as the full computer it replaced, so that media machine is officially retired now, and I have fewer Intel processors to worry about.

Quote:
At least Microsoft is Big Company (with reputation to loose) been around for a loooooong time, and if a programmer does crap that is out of line there, fixed+fired! *I hope*
One thing is MS and their business gets my info for everything to work, another if bad-trolls get it.. and I hope MS make it their business to protect us. (Optimistic theory)

On the Linux side I download a whole Distro.iso from some dude/dudette I don't know, but hey, it's open source, all is well.. eum?
.. not that simple should I be picky and I have been on Windows for so long obviously feel safer in their arms (for now)
So for Linux, it helps if the Distro have been around for a while without bad oopsies.
I use bogus information everywhere I have to enter information. Even on my music page I am Glennbo Dood from Carrier, IP, USA.

https://www.soundclick.com/member/de...memberID=45205

I don't trust Microsoft more because of their big company status, and actually trust them less since their business model has shifted from one that was making money off of sales of operating systems to one that now makes money from data harvesting their users information. YOU are Microsoft's product now!

Last edited by Glennbo; 11-11-2019 at 12:12 PM.
Old 11-11-2019, 12:22 PM   #9
SmajjL

Yeah, and there is that.. security *beep* that someone exposed, how the heck would we know if someone did not mention it, and was not some of 'em older than Windows7 itself? when it was heaven on earth?

So when all is fixed, I am starting to think there is supposed to be holes & ways anyway, new ones will come, around we go.

Yeah, I reacted with a *Meh* with Windows8, but that was more about the direction away from the PC feel and after that I kinda got all their "permission" questions in my eye, ah-ha, at least they ask.
The trolls i'm thinking about don't ask.

And is your phone really turned off now? you sure?
Like, dauym.. where are we going.. hehe

Old 11-11-2019, 12:49 PM   #10
Glennbo

Quote:
Yeah, and there is that.. security *beep* that someone exposed, how the heck would we know if someone did not mention it, and was not some of 'em older than Windows7 itself? when it was heaven on earth?

So when all is fixed, I am starting to think there is supposed to be holes & ways anyway, new ones will come, around we go.

Yeah, I reacted with a *Meh* with Windows8, but that was more about the direction away from the PC feel and after that I kinda got all their "permission" questions in my eye, ah-ha, at least they ask.
The trolls i'm thinking about don't ask.

And is your phone really turned off now? you sure?
Like, dauym.. where are we going.. hehe
With both Windows and Linux I never install stuff that someone tells me is cool or useful or is a gotta have app. With Linux I installed Xubuntu, put in the hosts file from MVP Hosts to block known malware and parasite addresses, installed NoScript in Firefox, and set Firefox to never store anything or accept any cookies unless I specifically made an exception for them.

A lot of sites flat out don't work at all, or have gaping holes where stuff is being blocked, but I'm not picking up unwanted stuff along the way. If I really want to see something on a site I know nothing about and don't yet trust, I'll look at it through the free proxy server from StartPage.com and if the page still won't render, I blow off trying to see it. It's just not that important to me to drop my shields.

As for phone security, I did NOT give any credit card info or other info I deem to be sensitive to Apple, and have only installed a very select handful of apps that I disabled GPS, and access to all other data on. Also I use my iPhone as my connection for a Panasonic whole house phone system, and the phone always is sitting in the other room in a cubby hole where it's camera would only see a dark image of wood surrounding it. Siri is turned off along with a TON of other items I saw more security risks in than benefits from.
Old 11-11-2019, 01:10 PM   #11
SmajjL

And I am defending myself by beeing very un-interesting (civilian) if they want to try my copy of Massive X, just ask damnit..
But yeah, I think I could learn a thing or two from you (this is the New common sence 2020) but if I go all the way even, then I might end up with an Xbox or something.. heh
I have simply not got slapped hard enough yet, been internet lucky or something.

There are lots of people not so internet/computer savvy though, hope Microsoft is the good guy.
Did they not desperately not so long ago even give their source code to China or something?

Btw, even Firefox has the "for study" thing that everyone? unchecks by principle, and Native Instruments has data collection checkboxes, like, ok? this is simply the new normal?
*beep*

Last edited by SmajjL; 11-11-2019 at 01:34 PM.
Old 11-11-2019, 03:54 PM   #12
SmajjL

https://youtu.be/_15DReQKbt8?t=1471

He said somewhere around there they have send their Windows source code to NSA sceptics.

Still not sure what is the proper way to embed a tube on this forum if anyone is in the mood to mention it ..

Old 11-11-2019, 05:45 PM   #13
Glennbo

Quote:
https://youtu.be/_15DReQKbt8?t=1471

He said somewhere around there they have send their Windows source code to NSA sceptics.
He's probably referring to back when they could allow 128 bit encryption for copies of Windows sold domestically, but had to dumb it down to 64 bit encryption for exported copies.

Quote:
Still not sure what is the proper way to embed a tube on this forum if anyone is in the mood to mention it ..
You take only the last part of the URL and put it inside of youtube tags. The video you linked was at a specific start point, and I don't know if that works, but taking the end of this full video URL, https://youtu.be/_15DReQKbt8 and reducing it to _15DReQKbt8 Then put that between an open and closed youtube html tag and you get this.

Old 11-11-2019, 05:53 PM   #14
SmajjL

Haleluljah! thanks Glennbo!

Old 11-11-2019, 11:55 PM   #15
s wave

Thanks for WARNING me... Why in heck would I even think of accepting MS's so gracious offer... It tells me that they are up to something again... RLOL. tc
s wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 02:20 PM   #16
azslow3

I like Linux and use it (and only it) at work. I also develop under Linux (even for Windows).

But till RME release complete drivers for Linux, Linux is as easy to use and install as Windows and all games can be run there out of the box, my home computer will run Windows.

No, I am not noob in Linux. I was making completely own installations from scratch (before I have found LinuxFromScratch, which has saved me finding and writing 100s of patches for every new own version), I can fix buggy programs and drivers in case they annoy me, make it run smoothly, etc. But common, I want relax and have fun at home
azslow3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 03:12 PM   #17
Glennbo

So if Microsoft comes out with Linux Defender are you gonna install it?
Old 11-13-2019, 03:41 PM   #18
azslow3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
So if Microsoft comes out with Linux Defender are you gonna install it?
May be, why not?

Independent from what we want, in realty administrative department is using Windows ("bosses" use Apple and real scientists use Linux...). Windows servers are accessed remotely, from Linux based thin clients (the effort for Windows administration is drastically reduced that way). All real Windows computers and server have anti-virus installed, but something should effectively check e-mails. And here I am ready to apply whatever works good (money is not an issue). Not that we have no spam and virus protection already, but I have nothing against 1,2,3... filters more.

The biggest physic center (CERN, in France/Switzerland) is using MS for mail filtering. Funny, but when someone from that domain try to register on my DE experiment related site, I get notification "your e-mail could not be delivered, please login to your Office365 account to clarify"

But... I have not received a single spam e-mail on my cern.ch address yet. So it may be overprotected, but it works.
Old 11-13-2019, 08:51 PM   #19
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by azslow3 View Post
May be, why not?

Independent from what we want, in realty administrative department is using Windows ("bosses" use Apple and real scientists use Linux...). Windows servers are accessed remotely, from Linux based thin clients (the effort for Windows administration is drastically reduced that way). All real Windows computers and server have anti-virus installed, but something should effectively check e-mails. And here I am ready to apply whatever works good (money is not an issue). Not that we have no spam and virus protection already, but I have nothing against 1,2,3... filters more.

The biggest physic center (CERN, in France/Switzerland) is using MS for mail filtering. Funny, but when someone from that domain try to register on my DE experiment related site, I get notification "your e-mail could not be delivered, please login to your Office365 account to clarify"

But... I have not received a single spam e-mail on my cern.ch address yet. So it may be overprotected, but it works.
I guess what I meant was, do Linux users need Microsoft to defend them if they aren't running a mail server?
Old 11-13-2019, 11:36 PM   #20
azslow3

With good functioning wine and many free plug-ins, that may be not bad idea
I really have worries that some worm can sneak into my wine environment. So I periodically check self-cross-compiled programs for viruses online, after running them under wine.
Also I have seen several Linux viruses. They do not appear often, but they exist.
Old 11-14-2019, 04:41 PM   #21
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by azslow3 View Post
With good functioning wine and many free plug-ins, that may be not bad idea
I really have worries that some worm can sneak into my wine environment. So I periodically check self-cross-compiled programs for viruses online, after running them under wine.
Also I have seen several Linux viruses. They do not appear often, but they exist.
I'm down to just Kontakt and Superior Drummer for running Windows plugins now. All my audio plugins are native Linux VSTs and my browsing is locked down with hosts file, noscript and no cookies.

For me, I'd be more concerned about allowing Microsoft into the inner workings of the Linux I run, but that's just me.
Old 11-26-2019, 11:53 AM   #22
zoso2

This isn't really meant for most Linux users. Since Microsoft has the Windows Subsystem for Linux they are bringing Windows Defender and the Edge browser to Linux to integrate Linux more seamlessly into an already established Windows network/environment. This allows enterprises to maintain Microsoft support and the peace of mind that provides across their entire network or business or whatever.

If anything the Microsoft name legitimizes Linux to the corporate suits who make the decisions and sign the contracts with OEM partners.

For most Linux users it won't make any difference, but for some it will allow them to use the OS of their choice in their corporate environment.
zoso2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 06:10 AM   #23
SmajjL

If i scan my Linux Steam backup copy/paste with proton installed from with-in Windows10, Defender sees/detects proton_dist.tar as Trojan:Win32/Occamy.C
Alert level: Severe

Would be great to get that in your eye on Linux if, Defender, went Linux..