Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 08-01-2019, 11:05 PM   #41
karbomusic
Human being with feelings

Below is the original setup I designed and built in 2015 - It's been in service and rock solid ever since but there's more to it now - the Pi's in the diagram are Windows IoT but there are also different use case cams running MyEyeOS which is also headless but I can remote in via web GUI to those and WinIot.

There also a number of other controllers/sensors that have been added with additional ESP8266s and/or Arduino which now update OTA. I even have one that watches my garage door and if I forget to close it, it closes it for me. I used Node Red for a short time (again headless) but I already had all it's functionality in my setup so I dumped it.

I also built a master web control panel for the entire system.

Old 08-02-2019, 04:40 AM   #42
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
You should probably avoid it.
In fact my Reaper based Keyboard setup -> https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...60&postcount=5 is such a headless embedded system.

"On Tour" it does not feature a monitor, mouse, or computer keyboard. But for configuration I can attache those (or use remote desktop etc).

Right now it runs on Windows 7, but I would rather use an "embedded" (aka IoT) Windows distribution (as long as Linux is not an option).

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 08-02-2019 at 04:45 AM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 06:30 AM   #43
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome_oneil View Post
I have several dozen Pis deployed in the Chicago area that work as filters for Positive Train Control network data streaming back to my office in Seattle. They're cheap, they do the job, and while they aren't particularly reliable, they're cheap.

There are also several projects that place several dozen Pis on a network that allow students to develop software intended to run on large scale super-computing arrays without having to pay for time on those systems until they are sure their project is ready to run.
Are you using Windows IoT for these projects, and couldn't the same thing be done with a Linux variant (like Raspbian) to bypass any Microsoft involvement? I have to wonder what additional communication goes on between Windows IoT and Microsoft when you use Windows IoT for your own projects.

Quote:
In short, they are great any time you need something easy to deploy that you don't really care if it frys itself or not.
I use my Pi as a media center streaming 1920x1080 full frame .TS video for one of it's normal tasks. The solid finned aluminum case I put on mine employs thermal paste on each of the main chips, so even though I am hammering it for hours on end streaming recorded movies and such, it never stutters or has any kind of stability issues.

Quote:
I'd never run Reaper on one, though.
I hooked my DAW's eight input rack mount audio interface up to my Pi, and it did quite well recording four tracks of drums at once while playing back two guitars and a bass track, all with multiple FX like compressors, EQs, and reverbs. More than using one for multi-tracking like my test, I could see using one as a multi-track field recorder. Especially the new model 4.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 10:31 AM   #44
jerome_oneil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
Are you using Windows IoT for these projects, and couldn't the same thing be done with a Linux variant (like Raspbian) to bypass any Microsoft involvement?
We use Raspian for them. We need these things to handle tons of filtering, so Python, awk, etc.. are important to us. We looked at Windows IoT for some of the computational load and GPS work, but it was easier just to move the data in house and do it there.

Quote:
I have to wonder what additional communication goes on between Windows IoT and Microsoft when you use Windows IoT for your own projects.
None with these no matter what they run. There is no internet access for them. If you aren't in my office, they don't exist.

Quote:
I use my Pi as a media center streaming 1920x1080 full frame .TS video for one of it's normal tasks. The solid finned aluminum case I put on mine employs thermal paste on each of the main chips, so even though I am hammering it for hours on end streaming recorded movies and such, it never stutters or has any kind of stability issues.
That's not really an industrial application. That is a pretty typical consumer use case and they're fine for that. I do the same thing at my house. I have one running Volumio.

Mine sit in rail yards hooked up to 220MHZ radios that require at least 75vdc to operate, attached to 12' whip antennas that are subject to atmospheric events like getting smoked by lightning. So they get cooked pretty frequently.

You can see the Pi shelf on the bottom of the rack.

This is the back of the rack that contains the locomotive radios.

We are looking at replacing all of that with a single Cisco integrated service router. We can deploy code directly into the router as Docker containers. It makes the package a whole lot smaller, removes a ton of moving parts, and only requires infrastructure to support the radios. And it's a whole lot more reliable because the ISR is designed for industrial tasks.

Quote:
I hooked my DAW's eight input rack mount audio interface up to my Pi, and it did quite well recording four tracks of drums at once while playing back two guitars and a bass track, all with multiple FX like compressors, EQs, and reverbs. More than using one for multi-tracking like my test, I could see using one as a multi-track field recorder. Especially the new model 4.
That's great, but the only question I have is "why?" I can get four really good tracks out of a handheld field recorder. In fact, my Zoom is frequently used for just that. I use the two external channels and configure a recorderman setup, and then hang the recorder and its coincident pair over the top of the kit.

I can't conceive of what I would get out of doing this on a Pi other than the "Gee that's neat, I did this on a Pi" aspect.
jerome_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 10:49 AM   #45
karbomusic

Quote:
In fact, my Zoom is frequently used for just that. I use the two external channels and configure a recorderman setup, and then hang the recorder and its coincident pair over the top of the kit.
I've done exactly that in the past but for some reason mics 3/4 would not pad down enough to prevent the clip light. I don't know what it is about Zoom lately even my H3VR can't handle louder sources. Granted the 3/4 thing was condensers but still.
Old 08-02-2019, 12:51 PM   #46
Glennbo

Quote:
We use Raspian for them. We need these things to handle tons of filtering, so Python, awk, etc.. are important to us. We looked at Windows IoT for some of the computational load and GPS work, but it was easier just to move the data in house and do it there.
Good to know. I plan to buy some weather sensors for my Pi just to dink around and write my own weather monitoring app for kicks.

Quote:
Mine sit in rail yards hooked up to 220MHZ radios that require at least 75vdc to operate, attached to 12' whip antennas that are subject to atmospheric events like getting smoked by lightning. So they get cooked pretty frequently.

[...]

We are looking at replacing all of that with a single Cisco integrated service router. We can deploy code directly into the router as Docker containers. It makes the package a whole lot smaller, removes a ton of moving parts, and only requires infrastructure to support the radios. And it's a whole lot more reliable because the ISR is designed for industrial tasks.
Quite an elaborate setup! One of my last projects before cutting loose from the workforce was writing values to RFID tags as they printed, then using them so a whole show case of merchandise could be inventoried with a quick wave of an RFID reader. That's the extent of my experience with radio stuff and programming.

Quote:
That's great, but the only question I have is "why?" I can get four really good tracks out of a handheld field recorder. In fact, my Zoom is frequently used for just that. I use the two external channels and configure a recorderman setup, and then hang the recorder and its coincident pair over the top of the kit.

I can't conceive of what I would get out of doing this on a Pi other than the "Gee that's neat, I did this on a Pi" aspect.
It's obviously the gee wow factor. I mean, if I were to bring an eight channel audio interface to remote location for recording a live event, bringing a laptop wouldn't be much less convenient than bringing a Pi. But then, why is REAPER available for a Raspberry Pi if it is of no value?
Old 08-02-2019, 01:12 PM   #47
jerome_oneil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
Good to know. I plan to buy some weather sensors for my Pi just to dink around and write my own weather monitoring app for kicks.
One of the original use cases for all of this was to try to figure out if an atmospheric condition called "tropospheric ducting" was at play. Weather is hard.

Quote:
Quite an elaborate setup! One of my last projects before cutting loose from the workforce was writing values to RFID tags as they printed, then using them so a whole show case of merchandise could be inventoried with a quick wave of an RFID reader. That's the extent of my experience with radio stuff and programming.
I came into the railroads about six years ago out of the internet dot com space. I fully expected dudes with coal shovels and boilers and stuff. I was genuinely (and pleasantly) surprised at just how much technical sophistication and maturity the roads have. Then I considered that they basically invented the first air gap interface (that being a hook on a pole used to catch the mail bucket at stops in the west) and it made more sense.

Behold, the precursor to the cell phone!

Quote:
It's obviously the gee wow factor. I mean, if I were to bring an eight channel audio interface to remote location for recording a live event, bringing a laptop wouldn't be much less convenient than bringing a Pi. But then, why is REAPER available for a Raspberry Pi if it is of no value?
I often ask that question regarding Reaper on Linux as a whole. But I guess there are enough "gee wow" people that want it to make it worth the effort.
jerome_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 01:36 PM   #48
Glennbo

Quote:
One of the original use cases for all of this was to try to figure out if an atmospheric condition called "tropospheric ducting" was at play. Weather is hard.
I don't plan to make weather predictions, although a falling barometer, falling temps, and high humidity might be an easy one to guess. More than anything, I just want to read a bunch of weather sensors that are outside, and display the data in a nice custom built desktop gadget, much like a stock ticker I created that polls the market all day and shows me how my stuff is doing.

Quote:
I came into the railroads about six years ago out of the internet dot com space. I fully expected dudes with coal shovels and boilers and stuff. I was genuinely (and pleasantly) surprised at just how much technical sophistication and maturity the roads have. Then I considered that they basically invented the first air gap interface (that being a hook on a pole used to catch the mail bucket at stops in the west) and it made more sense.

Behold, the precursor to the cell phone!
What a contraption that was. I wonder how many mail bags got shredded during high speed pick up.

Quote:
I often ask that question regarding Reaper on Linux as a whole. But I guess there are enough "gee wow" people that want it to make it worth the effort.
I use nothing but the Linux version of REAPER and have discontinued using it in Windows completely, although it is still there as an alternate OS to boot. I don't do it for any gee wow factor though, I do it because it works just as well as the Windows version on my machine, and I prefer to run Linux.

The only Windows plugin I didn't get working in Linux was Lexicon's MPX Native Reverb, and to be honest, I didn't even try coz I didn't want PACE or iLok stuff on my machine any longer. I even smoked it from the Windows side and put the iLok dongle with it's license in a drawer. I have more than enough FX, both Windows and native Linux VSTs, but they aren't what defines my music, so I'm not married to any of them.