Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 08-01-2014, 11:42 AM   #1
otakuxumpothazon
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper Doesn't Recognize US-2400

Hi, I had my US-2400 working fine.

Then I decided to move my computer into another room and run the cables through the wall, just to get rid of the noise from the computer. I got a USB hub with 4 inputs to hook my two MIDI controllers, MegaDrum drum module, and the US-2400 into. This required reinstalling the drivers for each of these devices.

Everything works fine except, you guessed it, the US-2400. REAPER doesn't even recognize it now. Tried installing and reinstalling the driver numerous times. On an XP64 system. Latest Reaper. The system recognizes it given that when I uninstall the driver and turn it on, it discovers, and auto installs the driver. But still nothing in Reaper.

Any idea what may have caused this?

Regards,

Otaku
otakuxumpothazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 01:11 PM   #2
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Audio interfaces don't like hubs at times, in particular unpowered ones. Could also be a sub-standard/broken USB cable...
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 08:04 AM   #3
otakuxumpothazon

Ok, that is what I was kind of suspecting. I tried to run the USB adapter for the mouse and keyboard through the hub and it didn't like that either. I'll grab some USB extension cables to see if that fixes the problem.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:10 AM   #4
Ollie

But consider the maximum USB cable length specs (IIRC 5 meters or something). I had some negative results with high power devices and USB extension cords.
Old 08-02-2014, 11:41 AM   #5
otakuxumpothazon

Yea, just went and got an extension cable instead of just a longer USB cable and it still isn't working. Back to the store to get the longer USB cable I had in my hand for $15 more than the extension cable!
Old 08-04-2014, 05:06 PM   #6
otakuxumpothazon

OK, got a longer cable and still not working. Shows that USB is connected, but nothing in Reaper. It shows in Device Manager and I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling drivers. Moved the control surface into the room with the computer and used the original cable from when it was working. Still nothing.

I'd hate to think this thing is fried somehow. Just been sitting there really and have a surge protector on it.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:47 AM   #7
Ollie

After resetting the hardware setup to its initial state (no other cables, no hubs etc.)...

- Try removing reaper-midihw.ini from the resource folder, then check if all devices show up again in Preferences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by otakuxumpothazon View Post
Tried installing and reinstalling the driver numerous times. On an XP64 system.
- Maybe you hit the "10 device limit" by now?

http://www.rme-audio.de/en_support_t...t_faq_10entryd
Old 08-05-2014, 05:00 PM   #8
otakuxumpothazon

Did the 10 device limit first and I was at that. So I cleared it out per the instructions and restarted. Still hasn't worked.

Tried removing the Reaper Resource file. It recreates it when Reaper starts and only showed items that had been powered on since it was created. US-2400 didn't show up.

Again, tried to uninstall and re-install drivers.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:07 PM   #9
otakuxumpothazon

Got off then phone with Tascam and they recommended a few things. Removing the hub during the US-2400 being started and restarting, some other stuff. They said something is wrong with the unit and to send it in. Before I did that, I figured I'd install Reaper on my laptop and plug the US-2400 in. Recognized it no problem.

So the problem lies somewhere on my desktop. I am wondering if a clean install of Reaper would solve the problem. As a last resort, running a repair on the OS.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:20 PM   #10
Fex

A clean install of Reaper couldn't hurt, but you could try installing a second Reaper to a separate folder, rather than trashing your saved preferences.
Fex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:39 PM   #11
otakuxumpothazon

Yep, installing in second location didn't do anything.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:18 AM   #12
Ollie

If you just do an install to a second location, that wouldn't do much since it shares the same configuration files/resource folder with the other one. You'd need to tick the "portable" checkbox in the installer to create an independent install with everything on default settings.

However if you already tried deleting reaper-midihw.ini, that's all a "portable" install would reset. You can try it anyway though.

Also double-check if you have the duplicated all settings for the US-2400 (in REAPER and elsewhere) on the desktop.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:33 PM   #13
otakuxumpothazon

Long story short, I ended up doing a clean install of XP64 due to some other issues that came up. It looks like a Windows update is causing the issue with the US-2400. Not sure which one though. US-2400 was working fine with Reaper after the clean install. After Windows Update did like +150 updates, Reaper quit recognizing it. Weird.

So, going to start uninstalling updates starting from the most recent ones until it starts working again. If that fails, might just change the OS.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:01 AM   #14
otakuxumpothazon

Yep, it failed. Uninstalled the most recent updates to at least a month before the issue started happening and still wouldn't recognize the US-2400.

Instead of doing a clean install and doing one update at a time, I figured it is time to update my OS. Installed Windows 8.1, which has a bit of a learning curve, but I am getting used to it. Opted for 8.1 over 7 because supposedly it is less resource hungry than 7, but probably not quite as good as XP64. It also, performs rendering a little quicker according to some benchmarks I looked at. Happy with some of the features, especially how USB drivers are not installed as a generic "USB Audio Device" so you can actually tell them apart.

At any rate, US-2400 is working perfectly with the latest OS updates and most of my software re-installed; also, with my other USB MIDI gear installed.

However, SD2.0 is crashing Reaper when I load a project using it and click the FX button, but that is a topic for a different thread. A problem I had with XP64 too, but somehow resolved it. Its always something... god damn computers.