Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 08-10-2018, 08:02 AM   #1
audiojunkie
Human being with feelings

Default Carla Plugin Host Newbie Questions

Hey everyone,

This is your friendly (and persistent) local newbie with a new question:

As I understand it, the Carla Plugin Host can run as a native VST. And within that VST, I can load additional LADSPA, DSSI, LV2 and VST plugin formats, as well as GIG, SF2 and SFZ sound banks, and it can play audio and MIDI files. That's quite an impressive list!!

Does Carla save patches (of these various plugins and their settings), that are recalled upon the opening of the Reaper project, or do I have to set up the patch every time I use it? Ideally, I would like to set up a track with the LV2 patch chain that I want hosted in Carla, and not have to think about it again when I open Reaper to work on the track the next day.

Thanks everyone!!
audiojunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:35 AM   #2
xdudex

Other friendly neighborhood newbie here! I too am very curious of this.

Junkie, if I get some time here during lunch I'll attempt to test this and report back.
xdudex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 09:06 AM   #3
xdudex

Yes! From what I tested, CARLA as a plugin itself will save whatever you add to the rack as well as the plugin settings within the rack. This is awesome.

Now I didn't test the patchbay or I/O connections, etc... but the plugins definitely seem to save your settings when reopening the project.

EDIT: One nifty feature... after building an FX chain, you can export it as a Carla file. Then in another project or another track (after adding Carla as a plugin) you can just open the Carla file (Open option) and it'll import all the plugins you had chosen and their settings.

Last edited by xdudex; 08-10-2018 at 09:17 AM.
xdudex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:45 AM   #4
audiojunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdudex View Post
Yes! From what I tested, CARLA as a plugin itself will save whatever you add to the rack as well as the plugin settings within the rack. This is awesome.

Now I didn't test the patchbay or I/O connections, etc... but the plugins definitely seem to save your settings when reopening the project.

EDIT: One nifty feature... after building an FX chain, you can export it as a Carla file. Then in another project or another track (after adding Carla as a plugin) you can just open the Carla file (Open option) and it'll import all the plugins you had chosen and their settings.
Nice!! This is what I really wanted to know!! Thanks for testing!!
audiojunkie is offline   Reply With Quote