Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 05-30-2019, 11:17 AM   #1
musicbynumbers
Human being with feelings

Default v5.978+dev0530 - May 30 2019

v5.978+dev0530 - May 30 2019
  • + Freeze: fix warning message when freezing a track with pre-FX sends [p=2140260]
  • + Media items: apply fades identically to all items even if they previously had customized fade curves [t=221424]
  • + Tempo envelope: add action to set project display range to current project min/max bpm
  • + Track manager: avoid inconsistent track visibility state [t=221397]
  • + macOS: allow 32-bit VST/AU bridging on Mojave
  • # API: fix GetUserInputs() with 16 + extrawidth + separator [p=2140362]
  • # Tempo envelope configuration: center window on Windows [p=2140356]
  • # Tempo envelope: add action to set display range
  • # Tempo map: fix initialization of tempo envelope range in new project tabs [p=2140334]
This thread is for pre-release features discussion. Use the Feature Requests forum for other requests.

Changelog - Pre-Releases

Generated by X-Raym's REAPER ChangeLog to BBCode
Old 05-30-2019, 12:02 PM   #2
bFooz

Quote:
Notation: trill
Small noteheads work fine.

There is still problem with the trill line for different note lengths, but another underlaying bug is present:

Top staff - Lower note is tied into next measure, upper note is shorter.
BUG - noteheads are missing for the lower note.

Bottom staff - ok, no tie into next measure.

bFooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 12:06 PM   #3
Edison

Default Window

[QUOTE=musicbynumbers;2140968]v5.978+dev0530 - May 30 2019
[*]+ Tempo envelope: add action to set project display range to current project min/max bpm

Hi, musicbynumbers

Please, Do you already have the location where the contents of the "Tempo Envelope Display" window will appear in the 'ReaperLangPack' file? See the Image
So that I can translate to the Brazilian Portuguese language.

Could you help me with this? Because the template ReaperLangPack..is not updated since December 2018.

Kind regards,
Edison

Last edited by Edison; 08-12-2019 at 02:33 AM.
Edison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 12:28 PM   #4
heda

very good improvements to the tempo envelope. Love the new action to adjust range to min/max.

Still, if I copy and paste tempo from one project to another with smaller range, the values are clamped to the new min/max.
It could check the min and max tempos being pasted or inserted and adjust the display range before pasting. That would fix the small issue, I think. Not critical.
Thank you!
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 12:41 PM   #5
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bFooz View Post
Top staff - Lower note is tied into next measure, upper note is shorter.
Nice bug! Fixing, thanks.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 12:42 PM   #6
Reflected

bug:
@ MIDI editor: "Erase event" mouse modifier does not work in velocity lane

can't erase or reset

ouchhh
Reflected is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 01:07 PM   #7
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflected View Post
bug:

can't erase or reset

ouchhh
That's by design. Is it obvious that you'd want to erase notes by editing their velocity?
Old 05-30-2019, 01:09 PM   #8
Breeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
That's by design. Is it obvious that you'd want to erase notes by editing their velocity?
Might be easier to delete stuff that are span over a lot of octaves at low zoom level.

The user is the one who picks the mouse modifier, so why not let him decide on how to use it? IMHO of course...another option maybe if it's too much to remove a restriction. But I can see it being usable in certain mentality.
Breeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 01:14 PM   #9
Reflected

Quote:
Reset them to default velocity (96 / 100) - yes
Old 05-30-2019, 01:16 PM   #10
Breeder

Quote:
Maybe another mouse modifier context, especially for the velocity lane?
Old 05-30-2019, 01:17 PM   #11
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeder View Post
Why not.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 01:24 PM   #12
Reflected

of course I like it when I can choose my own fav actions.
but reseting the velocity with the mouse drag is very basic tool, it feels strange without it.
Old 05-30-2019, 01:39 PM   #13
Swi

I have found that my issue in the last few dev versions where muted notes in the midi editor do not color correctly only occurs on a track that I have run this sws script on

SWS: Set selected track(s) children to same color

If I don't use this script to color tracks the notes mute as expected in the midi editor.

For what it's worth.
Swi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 02:09 PM   #14
juliansader

Speaking of muted events... Currently, muted CCs block the automation curves that connect surrounding unmuted CCs, and also change the color of the fill below the curve.

This means that the user does not see the actual curve that will be played.

I suggest that muted CCs should not be connected with curves; instead, they can be drawn as isolated lollipop heads without any automation curves, and automation curves should only connect unmuted events.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 03:08 PM   #15
EvilDragon

Who says 96 is supposed to be default velocity? What should be the actual default? Different instruments will respond differently to it...

Dunno I don't think we need that mouse modifier. But I agree that it should be possible to remove events in velocity lane with the corresponding mouse modifier, Breeder makes a good point.
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 03:22 PM   #16
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Who says 96 is supposed to be default velocity? What should be the actual default? Different instruments will respond differently to it...
There is no, but should be finally...
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 03:39 PM   #17
asai

Agreed, with ED re: removing velocity events with mouse.

Perhaps there could be an action to set all selected velocities to a default number (set in prefs). I often find myself doing: select all->event props->set velocities to same number. I'm not much of a keyboard player so my capture performances have to be heavily edited.
asai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 04:15 AM   #18
gofer
-blänk-

Are there changes to the MIDI track and item color modes still considered?

There has certainly been a regression from the latest official release. Keep in mind that the reason to have track color mode enabled is so we can tell which track an event is playing on.
However, if we, say, have all our Strings tracks green and use brightness to distinguish between different string sections (Violins, Violas, Celli, Double Basses) the current version doesn't allow for this, because a wide range of different brightnesses will display as very much the same color in the MIDI editor:

Also look at the note in the upper right, it's on the active item. Why is it the darkest note on the screen, when it's acually on the brightest track?

In the official release things are not accurate as well, but at least there's a difference between very bright and pretty dark:

Why can't we have really accurate note colors in these modes in the first place? The regression happened when people complained that selection is not obvious enough in track/item color modes. But I don't think this is an improvement at all. It made an already not perfect situation even worse.

While selection is now more obvious when looking at a single track, it is hampering with the purpose of the mode. You'll choose this mode because you're looking at multiple tracks. But a selected note on a dark track can look scarily similar to an unselected note on a brighter track (this is no regression, happened in older versions as well, just in a different range of brightness):

(in this example, the upper note is from the dark track, but selected)

I think using brightness as a means to indicate selection is the wrong way to go, if the original color is nowhere retained. Please rethink this.
Attached Images
File Type: png Track colors v978 0530.png (20.6 KB, 1437 views)
File Type: png Track colors v978 official.png (22.4 KB, 1446 views)
File Type: png Track colors sel vs unsel.png (12.7 KB, 1433 views)
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 04:42 AM   #19
mccrabney

^ as i mentioned the last time this came up, it might help in some track color cases to have the optional ability to assign a single color to all selected midi data, regardless of track

if i use 10 midi tracks and none of them are pink, pink would be an incredibly obvious indication of which data is selected and which is not -- rather than selection just changing the brightness of selected data.

obviously wouldn't work for every use case but we're deep in workflow weeds anyway, and in this example the proposition fits my needs while hopefully allowing for gofer's issues to be resolved
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 05:28 AM   #20
EvilDragon

Agreed with gofer's points.
Old 05-31-2019, 07:30 AM   #21
X-Raym

Code:
# API: fix GetUserInputs() with 16 + extrawidth + separator [p=2140362]
@Schwa
Nice ! almost ready

So we can now have custom separator on retval CSV,
but we should have the same separator as input val CSV,

Indeed, in my scripts the GetUserInput value is saved so the script can be re-run with the last input values.
We can input comma separated values on field, however we can't input this csv back in default input fields, cause it will split the string at each commas, not bothering with the custom separator.

It we could have the custom separator also affecting the string we put in the input_csv fields, it will be perfect.

Thanks !
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 11:58 AM   #22
Tod

Default Note Names

Thought I'd mention this, the "Note Names" do not reflect the CCs anymore. All CCs show their regular names.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 12:24 PM   #23
gofer
-blänk-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
^ as i mentioned the last time this came up, it might help in some track color cases to have the optional ability to assign a single color to all selected midi data, regardless of track

if i use 10 midi tracks and none of them are pink, pink would be an incredibly obvious indication of which data is selected and which is not -- rather than selection just changing the brightness of selected data.

obviously wouldn't work for every use case but we're deep in workflow weeds anyway, and in this example the proposition fits my needs while hopefully allowing for gofer's issues to be resolved
If that doesn't mean that in your example selected notes will be completely pink but still have an area (more that the tiny one pixel border) with the original track color, then I am with you. In track color mode I do want to know a note's track when it's selected as well.

Looking at my pics, a different issue jumps at me:
In the track list of the latest pre-release item names will only be shown when they are changed from Reaper's defaults. Instead it shows item position only. The pic from the release version shows them proper.

That test project was born rather hastily in my basic temlate (not orchestral) in the latest pre. I didn't even notice that I forgot to change item names after I chose to make the example about instrument groups in an orchestra... My lazyness is obvious in the pic with the same project in the release version.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 12:29 PM   #24
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Thought I'd mention this, the "Note Names" do not reflect the CCs anymore. All CCs show their regular names.
Confirmed.
Old 05-31-2019, 06:19 PM   #25
_Stevie_

Quote:

I concur.
Old 05-31-2019, 06:20 PM   #26
mccrabney

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
If that doesn't mean that in your example selected notes will be completely pink but still have an area (more that the tiny one pixel border) with the original track color, then I am with you. In track color mode I do want to know a note's track when it's selected as well.
that'd be a nice touch.
Old 06-01-2019, 02:21 AM   #27
juliansader

Quote:
Reflected may be referring to this old bug report of mine, which describes the issue in more detail.

The velocity lane is currently somewhat idiosyncratic, using a combination of CC lane actions, piano roll actions, and hardcoded actions. Alt+leftdrag is the standard "Erase" mouse modifier in the MIDI editor (both CC lane context and Piano roll context), so I think most new users would expect it to work in the Velocity lane too.
Old 06-01-2019, 02:42 AM   #28
EvilDragon

Agreed. It would be... what's the word I'm looking for, I can't quite remember...

...ah yes. It would be CONSISTENT
Old 06-01-2019, 04:34 AM   #29
mccrabney

did someone say consistency? because not being able to move the edit cursor by clicking empty space in the velocity/cc/envelope lane continues to surprise me, no matter how many times i do it. sorry for the off topic but i can't be the only one that this confuses
Old 06-01-2019, 01:47 PM   #30
EvilDragon

Yes that's by design (for the past several prereleases now). It looks betterer.
Old 06-01-2019, 01:53 PM   #31
schwa
Administrator

Old 06-01-2019, 02:08 PM   #32
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
did someone say consistency? because not being able to move the edit cursor by clicking empty space in the velocity/cc/envelope lane continues to surprise me, no matter how many times i do it. sorry for the off topic but i can't be the only one that this confuses
You are certainly not the only one. In envelope lanes ("Track" context), I have left-click linked to "View: Move edit cursor to mouse cursor".

(Not only should clicking in empty space in the CC lane do something useful like moving the edit cursor, it should also stop deselecting all events.)
Old 06-01-2019, 02:17 PM   #33
EvilDragon

I would want it to deselect all events because that's how it works in the empty piano roll for me, too.
Old 06-01-2019, 06:52 PM   #34
Breeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppelganger View Post
@schwa, works, thanks

very disputabable)
I find bars easier to edit when there are multiple velocities at the same position. They also let you know the note length when editing velocity so that might be nice. Then again, lollipop look does look cleaner. There are so many options for MIDI editor, one more wouldn't hurt.
Old 06-02-2019, 01:47 AM   #35
juliansader

Was Doppelganger referring to the thin horizontal bars that indicate note length (and that are missing in his GIF), or to the thick vertical bars that were used instead of lollipops in previous versions?

In case of the latter, see EvilDragon's answer.

In case of the former, MIDI Editor -> Options -> CC/velocity lane -> Show note length in velocity lane.
Old 06-02-2019, 07:29 AM   #36
Breeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
In case of the former, MIDI Editor -> Options -> CC/velocity lane -> Show note length in velocity lane.
Duh! I'm between projects so I try dev build but quickly revert to public release. I should really start using portable install
Old 06-02-2019, 07:52 AM   #37
G-Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
v5.978+dev0530 - May 30 2019
[list][*]+ Tempo envelope: add action to set project display range to current project min/max bpm
Thanks! This should have a button in the
"Tempo envelope: Set display range..." dialog
labeled "set to" beside "Actual project tempo .."
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 12:33 PM   #38
Reflected

Quote:
bug:

can't erase or reset

ouchhh
Quote:
Quote:
Might be easier to delete stuff that are span over a lot of octaves at low zoom level.

The user is the one who picks the mouse modifier, so why not let him decide on how to use it? IMHO of course...another option maybe if it's too much to remove a restriction. But I can see it being usable in certain mentality.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
Why not.
Quote:
of course I like it when I can choose my own fav actions.
but reseting the velocity with the mouse drag is very basic tool, it feels strange without it.
Quote:

Dunno I don't think we need that mouse modifier. But I agree that it should be possible to remove events in velocity lane with the corresponding mouse modifier, Breeder makes a good point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
There is no, but should be finally...
Quote:
Originally Posted by asai View Post
Agreed, with ED re: removing velocity events with mouse.

Perhaps there could be an action to set all selected velocities to a default number (set in prefs). I often find myself doing: select all->event props->set velocities to same number. I'm not much of a keyboard player so my capture performances have to be heavily edited.
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
I concur.
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
Reflected may be referring to this old bug report of mine, which describes the issue in more detail.

The velocity lane is currently somewhat idiosyncratic, using a combination of CC lane actions, piano roll actions, and hardcoded actions. Alt+leftdrag is the standard "Erase" mouse modifier in the MIDI editor (both CC lane context and Piano roll context), so I think most new users would expect it to work in the Velocity lane too.
Quote:
Agreed. It would be... what's the word I'm looking for, I can't quite remember...

...ah yes. It would be CONSISTENT

fix soon hopefully?
Old 06-04-2019, 01:01 PM   #39
EvilDragon

There was no need to quote so many posts, man.
Old 06-05-2019, 04:19 AM   #40
lowellben

Quote:
I would want it to deselect all events because that's how it works in the empty piano roll for me, too.
Please yes. Muscle memory for me makes this a must lol. Ahhhhh. Please.