Old 07-16-2021, 06:27 AM   #1
Roscoe P. Coltrane
Human being with feelings

Default Default 6 theme to support 125%?

'Retina/HiDPI:Automatic rendering to HiDPI and Retina displays; new Default 6 theme supports 100%, 150% and 200% natively '

Hi, any chance of adding 125%, because for some displays/trackcounts the 100% is too small and 150% m is too much.

I have attempted to change all sorts of things but no joy - combinations of windows and reaper settings.

Surely not too hard to do - batch convert all the theme pngs and possibly write a script to adjust a 150% settings file to the new settings?

I have a new 4K 42.5 inch screen - I cant find my optimum settings. (
Roscoe P. Coltrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 06:30 AM   #2
Roscoe P. Coltrane

The main issue is the mixer channell width and font sizes.
Old 07-17-2021, 07:04 AM   #3
mplay

I can imagine it'll be quite a bit of work to add 125%, but I'm in the same boat with my 4k screen.
mplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 07:19 AM   #4
Roscoe P. Coltrane

This needs to be fixed, cant have a situation where reaper is not suitable for some 4k screen sizes.

As time goes by there are going to be more and more people with this problem so any chance of getting this fixed soon?
Old 07-17-2021, 08:48 AM   #5
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe P. Coltrane View Post
This needs to be fixed, cant have a situation where reaper is not suitable for some 4k screen sizes.

As time goes by there are going to be more and more people with this problem so any chance of getting this fixed soon?
With the greatest respect 4K at 42" means good size pixels that suit a lot of material without the issues that say 27" 4K screen users experience.
Most people would not have an issue with 100, 150 and 200% settings on that screen. So it will depend on your viewing distance and the Windows/OSX scaling you have chosen.

I'm using a mix of 100 and 150 on a 21:9 screen with 3/4 the resolution of 4K, but as the panel is only 34" the pixels are slightly smaller (IOW higher DPI) for me than the would be on your screen.

Just sit a little closer or scroll slightly more. Also make sure your display is properly calibrated. If colours and contrast are as good as possible that helps a lot.

It would be really nice if Reaper gets Vector scaling one day, but it sounds like that will never happen. It is situations like yours that suggests merely expecting everyone buying the appropriate size screen and sitting close enough for the high dpi themes isn't going to solve the issues for everyone, or at least won't be perfect for everyone's seating positions and quality of vision.

A great deal of VST and VSTi developers are using scaling VSTs now, even the free ones (most of mine now - or if not they offer nice big GUIs anyway). so at least the issue is largely avoidable when using virtual instruments and FX.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 08:55 AM   #6
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Surely not too hard to do - batch convert all the theme pngs and possibly write a script to adjust a 150% settings file to the new settings?
The theme code is already scale independent, so that would be no work at all. The images, however, would be months of work; all of the images in the theme are hand made for each image at each size. I have to draw the line somewhere, I drew it at 100/150/200.

If you're okay with the kind of blurry images you get from re-rasterizing bitmaps, then you can tell Reaper to do that itself. Options > Preferences > Advance UI/system Tweaks > [ ] Scale UI elements.
Old 07-17-2021, 09:02 AM   #7
Softsynth

Another suggestion.

Use 150% scaling for the mixer section on the "150%_C" setting. This gives you slender (if plain) tracks which magnify with all the detail when you select a given track.
Old 07-17-2021, 09:03 AM   #8
Roscoe P. Coltrane

Also with the greatest of respect,the solution is not for me and others to jump through loads of hoops to still get what we dont want.

The reaper way is to solve problems and deliver - not botch - there is a simple solution.

The problem is reaper snaps the magnification to certain levels so you cant get it the right size.

I do wonder that the two resize options should have been 125% and 150%?

Thanks and take care.
Old 07-17-2021, 09:07 AM   #9
Roscoe P. Coltrane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsynth View Post
Another suggestion.

Use 150% scaling for the mixer section on the "150%_C" setting. This gives you slender (if plain) tracks which magnify with all the detail when you select a given track.
Hi Softsynth - posts crossed.

Thank you for your reply.
Old 07-17-2021, 09:09 AM   #10
Roscoe P. Coltrane

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
The theme code is already scale independent, so that would be no work at all. The images, however, would be months of work; all of the images in the theme are hand made for each image at each size. I have to draw the line somewhere, I drew it at 100/150/200.

If you're okay with the kind of blurry images you get from re-rasterizing bitmaps, then you can tell Reaper to do that itself. Options > Preferences > Advance UI/system Tweaks > [ ] Scale UI elements.
Hi White Tie thanks for the reply.

Could you not use GIMP to batch convert the images from the 200% set down to 125%?
Old 07-17-2021, 09:12 AM   #11
Roscoe P. Coltrane

Quote:

'Options > Preferences > Advance UI/system Tweaks > [ ] Scale UI elements.'

set to 1.25 only affects height not width.
Old 07-17-2021, 09:13 AM   #12
Roscoe P. Coltrane

Thanks for the suggestions - nothing actually solves the issue.
Old 07-17-2021, 09:35 AM   #13
Softsynth

Alternatively try 100% mixer setting but with default 6 theme adjuster
If track selected = Extend with sidebar.

Combine that with colour coding your tracks.
Old 07-17-2021, 09:41 AM   #14
Roscoe P. Coltrane

Quote:
Alternatively try 100% mixer setting but with default 6 theme adjuster
If track selected = Extend with sidebar.

Combine that with colour coding your tracks.
Hi thanks

Does not change the font size.
Old 07-17-2021, 10:13 AM   #15
Roscoe P. Coltrane

After some time reflecting with a beer in the UK sunshine - how about a 125% option just for mixer channells - should not be too many new images?
Old 07-17-2021, 10:49 AM   #16
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
'Options > Preferences > Advance UI/system Tweaks > [ ] Scale UI elements.'

set to 1.25 only affects height not width.
Try again; it does indeed scale in both dimensions.

Just to be clear : I'm not going to add 125% to the theme. If I were to, I would add 133% (the scale factor of very cheap laptops) but I'm not going to do that either. I have to draw the line somewhere!
Old 07-17-2021, 11:11 AM   #17
Roscoe P. Coltrane

Try putting in 1.25 - it does not work.

v6.32 - July 9 2021
Old 07-17-2021, 11:16 AM   #18
Roscoe P. Coltrane

Go 1.34 or higher it snaps upwards.
Old 07-17-2021, 12:24 PM   #19
Roscoe P. Coltrane

Dear Mr Big (Justin) 125% or 133% needs to happen - can you pay WT what he needs to get this done because otherwise the GUI spoils the experience on certain monitors.

TIA
Old 07-17-2021, 12:33 PM   #20
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

That's not how things work here. The answer is no; if you're not comfortable with that answer I can give you a less honest but more palatable answer, if you like.
Old 07-17-2021, 12:58 PM   #21
Softsynth

Rosco P Coltrane, remembering that this is a whopping great 42-inch monitor screen - why don't just you ask Boss Hogg if you can move your chair 1-2 feet forward so that you can see the screen a bit better, and stick with 100% theme elements?
Old 07-17-2021, 01:21 PM   #22
Roscoe P. Coltrane

Quote:
Rosco P Coltrane, remembering that this is a whopping great 42-inch monitor screen - why don't just you ask Boss Hogg if you can move your chair 1-2 feet forward so that you can see the screen a bit better, and stick with 100% theme elements?
Because if I get the GUI just right, Daisy Duke has promised to flash me her knockers.
Old 07-17-2021, 02:01 PM   #23
Softsynth

Quote:
Because if I get the GUI just right, Daisy Duke has promised to flash me her knockers.
Correct pronouns please!
This is a politically correct inclusive site now so you should say "Daisy Duke has promised to flash me their knockers".

It sounds like you've got more chance of commissioning a new unreconstructed series of The Dukes of Hazard for 2021 than getting a 1.25 scaled GUI theme.
Old 07-18-2021, 04:28 AM   #24
Roscoe P. Coltrane

Yes, seems as likely as a pig laying and egg and Boss giving me a pay rise.

I suppose I have to accept that the resizing issue will not be solved in the near future. Reaper is hardly alone in not getting things 100% right....or 125% right.
Old 07-18-2021, 09:49 AM   #25
rncwalker

If you are on windows 10, then re-scale you windows OS. It will allow you to set it at 125%"

Try different settings to get what you want, 125% might not be what you want!

Robert
rncwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 10:05 AM   #26
rncwalker

Quote:
I suppose I have to accept that the resizing issue will not be solved in the near future. Reaper is hardly alone in not getting things 100% right....or 125% right.

How is 125% correct, some may say it isn't

WT made the best choices he could, but the power of Reaper is that you can change the theme "Images" to work with your 125%.

Some things you have to do your self, if you really want it so bad.

Maybe some of the people who make themes here, might make a 125% theme.

Robert
Old 07-18-2021, 12:32 PM   #27
Roscoe P. Coltrane

Thanks for the replies. No combo of settings works.

125% right for me others 135% etc.... thats the point.... needs to be flexible so everyone has their porridge just how they like it.

Oddly enough, I can get WT's imperial theme to scale to a better mixer width than the default. Very nice looking theme but I would like to stick to the layout of the default. Ideally I would like a hybrid.

I think the moral of this story, for me at least is dont assume any monitor size will work exactly how you want it. Work off 24 inch multiples/fractions.

I have the skills but not the time to create a theme. I reckon I'll just buy another monitor, keep the 42 inch for work stuff.
Old 07-18-2021, 12:44 PM   #28
Softsynth

Pull up a chair!
For a lot of people simply sitting the correct distance from the screen and calibrating it properly will be enough, when combined with a mix of theme size elements, and occasionally a little bit more scrolling.
Old 07-18-2021, 02:30 PM   #29
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
I can get WT's imperial theme to scale to a better mixer width than the default.
That theme doesn't do scaling. I'm not sure what you're doing, but I believe you've misunderstood some core principles. Perhaps you could share some screenshots of what you're seeing?
Old 07-18-2021, 03:03 PM   #30
airon

Quote:
Hi thanks

Does not change the font size.
Aah. I actually did that via the theme teaker(action list). That dramatically improved the readability of the MCP insert,send and parameter knob areas for me.

I use a 1440p, 27 inch screen, giving me about 109 ppl. Changing the right „Walter“ font helped me a lot.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 03:09 PM   #31
Roscoe P. Coltrane

Imperial does scale mixer channell width with the advanced UI/system tweaks, and in a more predictable way. Default sometimes only increases mixer height. The one thing I would most like to see on the default theme is the mixer channell name's style because that really pops.

Re default: I have found a usable combo but the trick was to scale the default downwards 0.8 from a 150% mixer layout.

I know it wont happen but, an auto individual mixer channel width would be quite useful - set a starting ideal channell width, the area fills up like this until full and then to avoid scrolling, any new channells are added by reducing the average width, keep adding until below a certain minimum width then scrolling is enabled as more channells added.

Last edited by Roscoe P. Coltrane; 07-18-2021 at 03:29 PM.
Old 07-19-2021, 01:41 AM   #32
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
This scales the elements uniformly, of any theme. It is independent of theming.
Old 07-19-2021, 10:11 AM   #33
Roscoe P. Coltrane

Seems this topic has been brushed under the carpet, without even a moved link message. Someone taking tips from Boss?

This is not about colour themes or icon sets.

Having looked again today my previous solution is not good enough to settle with.

Question: is there a global scale option? I cant see one in the tweaker. Not the advanced ui resize option that reduces clarity.
Old 07-19-2021, 10:25 AM   #34
Roscoe P. Coltrane

Here is a screenshot of default on 4k 42 inch monitor.

Right at the top, what is the best way to increase the text size 'a section'?

Thanks

Edit Wont upload -

'Reaper all default on 4k 42 inch screen.png:

The Dimension limits for this filetype are 800 x 600. We were unable to resize your file so you will need to do so manually and upload it again. Your file is currently 3847 x 2159. '
Old 07-19-2021, 10:31 AM   #35
Roscoe P. Coltrane

For my pdf
Reaper all default on 4k 42 inch screen.pdf:
Your file of 431.9 KB bytes exceeds the forum's limit of 250.0 KB for this filetype.

How about we increase these sizes, this is not the 90's?
Old 07-19-2021, 10:33 AM   #36
Roscoe P. Coltrane

Defeats the point because now the resolution is reduced, anyway?
Attached Images
File Type: gif Reaper all default on 4k 42 inch screen.gif (45.9 KB, 143 views)
Old 07-19-2021, 10:37 AM   #37
Roscoe P. Coltrane

This is nonsense.

Nobody should have to waste days setting scaling and fonts to a personally pleasing size.

Reaper coding took how many hours? The gui is arguably the most important thing and it is not right.

Thanks for the replies and goodbye.

I'll stick with my smaller monitor or upgrade to a larger one than 42 inches at some point.
Old 07-19-2021, 01:03 PM   #38
Pink Wool

This is probably the best place to get help on a theme. WT already gave you an answer but you never know, if you ask nicely, someone might make a 125 % scale theme mod? Not likely but it could happen!

Quote:
This is nonsense.

Nobody should have to waste days setting scaling and fonts to a personally pleasing size.

Reaper coding took how many hours? The gui is arguably the most important thing and it is not right.

I'll stick with my smaller monitor or upgrade to a larger one than 42 inches at some point.
Perhaps not!
Pink Wool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 06:31 PM   #39
rncwalker

Quote:
This is nonsense.

You're wrong, that's why Windows gives you the ability to scale the OS, which in turn will scale all programs on it.

Coding Reaper has taken many years to get where it's now.

It really sounds like you have not tried any of the suggestions given to you. You do not even know if 125% will give you what you want. Just so you know, the scaling in reaper will only scale the Theme and not the rest of reaper. Windows scaling is your best option.

I do not know of any DAW maker that has the entire program to anyone's liking, there always is something someone does not like and they think it's wrong, everyone else has no problem with it.

Every program has it's good and Bad points. Select the DAW that is the best to you!

Do not sit around and wait for the DAW programmers to give you what you want, Just make music and it will eventually come.

I myself have a 3 monitor setup and have gone through many ways to make things work for me.

I have 2 23" (1920x1080) & 1 34" (2k, I purposefully stayed away from 4k knowing what problems it will bring(your going through it now)).

the 2 23" are set at 125% and the 2K monitor is set at 100%
In reaper I have set the scaling to 1.10
I also use Reaper readers to increase the Font size, beware that increasing font sizes also will increase window size a little.

It's a lot of trial and error until you get the best that you can.

Do works the best for you.

Robert

Last edited by rncwalker; 07-19-2021 at 09:01 PM.
Old 07-20-2021, 02:33 PM   #40
Roscoe P. Coltrane

Quote:
Originally Posted by rncwalker View Post
You're wrong, that's why Windows gives you the ability to scale the OS, which in turn will scale all programs on it.

Coding Reaper has taken many years to get where it's now.

It really sounds like you have not tried any of the suggestions given to you. You do not even know if 125% will give you what you want. Just so you know, the scaling in reaper will only scale the Theme and not the rest of reaper. Windows scaling is your best option.

I do not know of any DAW maker that has the entire program to anyone's liking, there always is something someone does not like and they think it's wrong, everyone else has no problem with it.

Every program has it's good and Bad points. Select the DAW that is the best to you!

Do not sit around and wait for the DAW programmers to give you what you want, Just make music and it will eventually come.

I myself have a 3 monitor setup and have gone through many ways to make things work for me.

I have 2 23" (1920x1080) & 1 34" (2k, I purposefully stayed away from 4k knowing what problems it will bring(your going through it now)).

the 2 23" are set at 125% and the 2K monitor is set at 100%
In reaper I have set the scaling to 1.10
I also use Reaper readers to increase the Font size, beware that increasing font sizes also will increase window size a little.

It's a lot of trial and error until you get the best that you can.

Do works the best for you.

Robert
I have a 1st degree in computer science, I currently work in computer science research in academia. Part of my research involves improving GUI's. This is partly why this situation is so frustrating - I know there is a solution and for whatever reason it has not, and will not be implemented.

I must admit I find your patronising one-dimensional assumptions to be quite distasteful - if someone is generous enough to give me their time and experience the least I can do is at least follow-up on their suggestions. I have tried every suggestion and the fact is it does not work how I would like it to.

'You do not even know if 125% will give you what you want.' - was a particularly patronizing and incorrect post.

Really? So you are a mind reader? Your above statement is factually untrue. I have tried that, mixer channel width does not change when you change Windows OS level from 100% to 125%, on a 4K 42 inch screen - I suspect it's the same on all 4K screens. So you are wrong, and that is a fact. If you don't believe me try it, if you can't be bothered to check then don't reply and tell me I am wrong.

For anyone interested in mixing 2 x 24 inch and a 32/34 inch, get the 32/34 in QHD and not 2k - it has the same pixel density so you can keep everything on default scaling.

Having said the above, no hard feelings.
Take care and goodbye - I wish you the best of luck.
Writing on forums is not my idea of fun - making music is.