Old 01-18-2021, 03:08 AM   #441
KuulArt
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by siniarch View Post
Hi KuulArt,
Thanks for your interest. As you can read from the post above, I hit a snag and I'm updating the internal components to fix it and improve everything about the unit. I really thought I was able to have a fully functional unit by the end of this month, but the changes I'm making are delaying this. I rather delay it 1 month than send out a product that is not fantastic.
So, looking to finish this in February. I will probably do a 10 unit run first. Take deposits to help pay for the parts, then will most likely ship 1 month after deposits. So, if say, I take deposits mid-late February, then I could ship mid-late March. I'd like to do it faster, but when I send out for printing board, it takes 1-2 weeks. Making the cases takes 2-3 weeks. So everything is dependent on the manufacturing. If it was up to me I'd get this thing finished in 2 weeks, but sometimes I feel like my hands are tied.
I'll keep you posted with progress as more things get done.
I understand, thank you for the detailed answer.
All things considered this seems to be moving in a very rapid pace.

Do you have some ballpark estimate for the price?

I have been wanting something like this for ages and even considered building my own but I could only imagine how much time and effort it would take.
KuulArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 03:27 AM   #442
siniarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuulArt View Post
I understand, thank you for the detailed answer.
All things considered this seems to be moving in a very rapid pace.

Do you have some ballpark estimate for the price?

I have been wanting something like this for ages and even considered building my own but I could only imagine how much time and effort it would take.
The price is one of the elusive items of the project. Ideally, I'd like to keep it below $1000. But the problem is that with all the changes, I really have to figure it out when I commission 10 units to be made.

Adding the new chip to the encoder modules will make it very difficult to keep the encoder modules the same size as they are now. They were already pretty tight as far as electronic parts. So, if adding this chip increases the size of the encoders even 5-8mm in one direction, then the entire unit gets much bigger. And I'm trying to keep it no larger than the size of a Letter sheet of paper 8.5"x11". (which is pretty much the smallest you can keep these encoders fit without putting them too tight and always be bumping other encoders). One thought is to make the board be a 4 layer boards instead of 2 layer boards to try and keep the size the same. This would help, but will add perhaps another $50-80 to the cost. So, trying to avoid this. As it is, the new additions (new chip, faster CPU, Direct connection) will add maybe $30-50 to the production cost.

What I might do is sell the first 10 units at a discounted price, even if I make very little money on them. And then do another 10 units at slightly higher price. and eventually get units at a price where I can make it a business and sustainable. Now mind you, other companies (meaning larger companies) would not touch this unless they could make at the very least 100-200% profits on a product such as this. I don't think I'll be making nearly those kind of profits. I'm a small operation, so my overhead is smaller. What I can say is that the initial batches will be people that are not paying too much more than the cost of the unit.

I hope once I get twenty units out in the real world, that those users will be so happy with them that they will be my ambassadors and share videos and testimonials. That will help drive sales for sure. And when they have others try the units, I think they will see the real value and all the features included. I don't think people will understand the potential until they really see it at work. But I better just let the unit do the talking.
siniarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 03:58 AM   #443
andyp24

Good to know, thanks Siniarch, and I appreciate your efforts to get this 100% right first time.
andyp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 05:14 AM   #444
andyp24

Just out of interest, how confident would you be about shipping units (or at least, taking full payment) before 5th April?

That MAY have an impact on my decision about whether I can order (due to tax year/accounting reasons).

Andy
Old 01-18-2021, 07:54 AM   #445
siniarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyp24 View Post
Just out of interest, how confident would you be about shipping units (or at least, taking full payment) before 5th April?

That MAY have an impact on my decision about whether I can order (due to tax year/accounting reasons).

Andy
I won't take partial payment until I know for sure I can deliver a Full Working Product I will be proud to put my name on. Therefore, if you need to make full payment at that time due to tax reasons, then I could certainly take full payment at that time. I just don't want to make a habit of it. Once I get 10-20 units sold, I should be a little better off where I may be able to build units and then sell them when they are completed. So, I'm pretty sure I can make that happen prior to April 5th.

I know there are some small manufacturers that work the other way around and although their products are top notch, their reputation has suffered because of delays delivering product. (I'm thinking about a specific audio manufacturer from Chile which makes great gear, but people have to wait almost a year at times).

The only exception to that statement is if I do a crowd funding campaign where I try to sell 200 or 500 or even 1000 units. That would make it impossible for me to deliver so many within a month. But that will be stated on the crowdfunding campaign so that people can know what to expect as far as delivery times.
Old 01-18-2021, 08:02 AM   #446
andyp24

Great, thanks.

Watching this space... :-)
Old 01-18-2021, 08:15 AM   #447
siniarch

Quote:
Great, thanks.

Watching this space... :-)
BTW Andy,
I found this which seems to indicate that the Import Duty would be 0%
https://www.trade-tariff.service.gov...ies/8471606000
Either that one or this one I believe:
https://www.trade-tariff.service.gov...ies/8543200000

Hope that helps.
Old 01-18-2021, 08:25 AM   #448
andyp24

Thanks - I had a look through all their categories but couldn't really see one that fit exactly. Sound recording equipment seemed the closest, but there didn't even seem to be a category for electronic musical instruments that I could find.

So yeah, maybe list it under "Nuclear Reactors or parts thereof" :-D

A.
Old 01-18-2021, 08:30 AM   #449
siniarch

Quote:
Thanks - I had a look through all their categories but couldn't really see one that fit exactly. Sound recording equipment seemed the closest, but there didn't even seem to be a category for electronic musical instruments that I could find.

So yeah, maybe list it under "Nuclear Reactors or parts thereof" :-D

A.
Hahaha. Yeah. I searched for Midi controller and that one came up. Not sure how the go from "Section XVI: Machinery and mechanical appliances; electrical equipment; parts thereof, sound recorders and reproducers, television image and sound recorders and reproducers, and parts and accessories of such articles"
to "Nuclear reactors, boilers, machinery and mechanical appliances; parts thereof"????

But that second link I have says "signal generators" and I'm thinking that this controller generates MIDI signals. So, I'm thinking the second link might be more correct.
Old 01-18-2021, 08:32 AM   #450
andyp24

Also, if you consider Reaper/another DAW a "Sound Recorder" then this would be a "parts or accessories thereof", so the second category is probably the one :-)
Old 01-18-2021, 08:59 AM   #451
airon

The DJ Techtools folks were fairly creative on their declaration for the MFT I got during a sale. $200 came to about 240 Euros, about 32 below normal. You could ask them. They're nice people.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 05:34 AM   #452
siniarch

Default SiniCon FX Configurator

NOTE: This post has many images. In the interest of keeping the thread from overflowing with large images, I created smaller images with a link to the full size image below it. Please click on the link to view the large size file.

That being stated, I'd like to ask anyone that has the time and inclination to take a look at the images and let me know what you think. I've created most of the GUI for my FX Configurator. I'm speaking to a developer (coder) to get the app to do all the necessary functions to create a ZONE Text file, but also load any previously made Zone file, etc...

If you need an explanation, or if I've left out some function that needs to be added, please let me know.

Thank you:

Main Display

https://i.imgur.com/vSq9e82.jpg

ScreenType 01

https://i.imgur.com/Vrid23s.jpg

ScreenType 02

https://i.imgur.com/7YDyeVn.jpg

ScreenType 03

https://i.imgur.com/2SBESwh.jpg

ScreenType 04

https://i.imgur.com/aC4HGBV.jpg

ScreenType 05

https://i.imgur.com/qaukPxC.jpg

ScreenType 06

https://i.imgur.com/sqKGQRF.jpg

ScreenType 07

https://i.imgur.com/2LWfLJx.jpg

ScreenType 08

https://i.imgur.com/JWvMai5.jpg

Encoder Screen

https://i.imgur.com/Ohg1qP4.jpg

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.
Thank you very much.
Old 01-23-2021, 07:10 AM   #453
Gass n Klang

looks nice, but why not have the display above the encoder? Isn't that much better readable while turning knobs?
Old 01-23-2021, 07:18 AM   #454
siniarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gass n Klang View Post
looks nice, but why not have the display above the encoder? Isn't that much better readable while turning knobs?
Actually, I had it with the screens above initially but after I assembled the first prototype it became clear that the screen below is actually less blocked by fingers when turning the knob. The only way that it worked with the screen above was when the surface was tilted above 60-65 degrees. If you read some of the previous posts, you can see some of the test footage.
Old 01-23-2021, 08:38 AM   #455
Funkybot

Hi Luis, looks great! When it comes to the displays, maybe it would help to choose what you want to do in the display. I'm imagining one more dropdown column in the GUI that shows the type of display. So first you pick "FXParamNameDisplay" or maybe "FXParamValueDisplay" then you drag in the FXParamater from the left. Maybe the dropdown includes options for:

FXNameDisplay
FXParamNameDisplay
FXParamValueDisplay
FixedTextDisplay

I'd probably have a dropdown with the above display types, then in the field to the right of that allow users to drag parameters, or enter freeform text if using the FixedTextDisplay. Very similar to what you're currently doing just slightly different.

Anyway, just a thought. Very excited.
Funkybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 08:42 AM   #456
Gass n Klang

Quote:
Actually, I had it with the screens above initially but after I assembled the first prototype it became clear that the screen below is actually less blocked by fingers when turning the knob. The only way that it worked with the screen above was when the surface was tilted above 60-65 degrees. If you read some of the previous posts, you can see some of the test footage.
ok cool!
Old 01-23-2021, 02:40 PM   #457
siniarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
Hi Luis, looks great! When it comes to the displays, maybe it would help to choose what you want to do in the display. I'm imagining one more dropdown column in the GUI that shows the type of display. So first you pick "FXParamNameDisplay" or maybe "FXParamValueDisplay" then you drag in the FXParamater from the left. Maybe the dropdown includes options for:

FXNameDisplay
FXParamNameDisplay
FXParamValueDisplay
FixedTextDisplay

I'd probably have a dropdown with the above display types, then in the field to the right of that allow users to drag parameters, or enter freeform text if using the FixedTextDisplay. Very similar to what you're currently doing just slightly different.

Anyway, just a thought. Very excited.
Funkybot,
You'll have to explain it a little better for me. As always, I'm all ears.

Here's a video I made showing the basic (navigation) functionality for the app.

Let me know what you think.

Thank you.
Old 01-23-2021, 05:03 PM   #458
Nick Morris

Quote:
Funkybot,

Thank you.
It’s better every time we get a look.
Old 01-23-2021, 07:32 PM   #459
Funkybot

Quote:
Funkybot,

Thank you.
Watching the video, it already works exactly like I was trying to describe. From the screen prints alone I wasn't getting it, but now that I've seen it, what I was suggesting is already there. So nice job! lol
Old 01-23-2021, 10:44 PM   #460
drumsareme

Getting excited...

;-)
drumsareme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 10:48 PM   #461
siniarch

Quote:
Watching the video, it already works exactly like I was trying to describe. From the screen prints alone I wasn't getting it, but now that I've seen it, what I was suggesting is already there. So nice job! lol
Great to hear. I was trying to understand what you meant, but glad it is implemented already. I might send you an email to help with defining the pull down options and the Zone Navigators. I'm still a little hazy on those as I haven't used them in a while as far as writing Zone files lately.

Also, I want to figure out the new CSI with the Toggle line being added to the Encoder section. If that makes sense?

Just know I might pick your brain to make sure this thing can output a proper Zone file that works with the new CSI.

As always, thanks so much.
Old 01-23-2021, 10:49 PM   #462
siniarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumsareme View Post
Getting excited...

;-)
Thanks for the support Drumsareme. Always nice to hear people are interested in the project.
Old 01-24-2021, 02:24 AM   #463
Pink Wool

Looking good! Hopefully these won't be too expensive so I can get one!

Keep up the good work!

PW
Pink Wool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 02:58 AM   #464
siniarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Wool View Post
Looking good! Hopefully these won't be too expensive so I can get one!

Keep up the good work!

PW
Thank you for the kind words.
Old 01-25-2021, 03:01 AM   #465
siniarch

Default WEBSITE

Started working on the website. Images are still temporary for now. Please let me know what you think.

www.SiniCon.io

Thank you,

SiniArch
Old 01-25-2021, 03:30 AM   #466
Nick Morris

Quote:
Started working on the website. Images are still temporary for now. Please let me know what you think.

www.SiniCon.io

Thank you,

SiniArch
Site works great. Was hoping for some info on the bottom buttons. I’m too early.
Old 01-25-2021, 03:34 AM   #467
siniarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Morris View Post
Site works great. Was hoping for some info on the bottom buttons. I’m too early.
Thanks Nick. What would you like to know?
Old 01-25-2021, 10:14 AM   #468
Nick Morris

what buttons you are using and what are their capabilities. 8 of them, right?
Old 01-25-2021, 12:52 PM   #469
siniarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Morris View Post
what buttons you are using and what are their capabilities. 8 of them, right?
Hi Nick,

Yes, there will be 8 buttons. They have an OLED screen right on top of the button which is 64x64 pixels and I believe is capable of showing 65,000 colors. (it might show more, but I'm being conservative just in case)

As far as capabilities, for now, I'm thinking of keeping the screens to 3 lines of text. I feel like this will give a good size text so that you can fit 7-9 characters, whiles still remaining large enough for people to be able to read. But I may have to adjust this. At the moment, I'm not planning to introduce icons/graphics, but in the future I may add that. Meaning, you won't be able to assign a stop icon or a play icon, etc... to the button screen. I'm trying to keep it simple for now. But it may be a feature I add later on.

Hope that answers your questions.
Old 01-25-2021, 02:26 PM   #470
Nick Morris

Quote:
Hi Nick,

Yes, there will be 8 buttons. They have an OLED screen right on top of the button which is 64x64 pixels and I believe is capable of showing 65,000 colors. (it might show more, but I'm being conservative just in case)

As far as capabilities, for now, I'm thinking of keeping the screens to 3 lines of text. I feel like this will give a good size text so that you can fit 7-9 characters, whiles still remaining large enough for people to be able to read. But I may have to adjust this. At the moment, I'm not planning to introduce icons/graphics, but in the future I may add that. Meaning, you won't be able to assign a stop icon or a play icon, etc... to the button screen. I'm trying to keep it simple for now. But it may be a feature I add later on.

Hope that answers your questions.
yes, this was exactly the info I was looking for. Icons would be great
Old 01-25-2021, 02:41 PM   #471
Funkybot

Icons would be good, but if CSI is controlling the text on screen, then text potentially works out even better because I could label some of the modifiers assigned to the buttons. I'm thinking maybe the screen shows (using maybe FixedTextDisplay)...

DisplayUpperButton1: Play
DisplayMiddleButton1: Loop
DisplayLowerButton1: Home

And my .zon would be something like:

Code:
Button1                Play
DisplayUpperButton1    FixedTextDisplay "Play"
Shift+Button1          CycleRecord
DisplayMiddleButton1   FixedTextDisplay "Loop" 
Alt+Button1            GoZone Home
DisplayLwewrButton1    FixedTextDisplay "Home"
...versus an icon where I've got a Play icon on the screen and no hints as to what the modifiers do. And then what happens in an FX.zon? Would it still show the play icon? Text feels "more CSI."
Old 01-25-2021, 04:20 PM   #472
siniarch

Quote:
Icons would be good, but if CSI is controlling the text on screen, then text potentially works out even better because I could label some of the modifiers assigned to the buttons. I'm thinking maybe the screen shows (using maybe FixedTextDisplay)...

DisplayUpperButton1: Play
DisplayMiddleButton1: Loop
DisplayLowerButton1: Home

And my .zon would be something like:

Code:
Button1                Play
DisplayUpperButton1    FixedTextDisplay "Play"
Shift+Button1          CycleRecord
DisplayMiddleButton1   FixedTextDisplay "Loop" 
Alt+Button1            GoZone Home
DisplayLwewrButton1    FixedTextDisplay "Home"
...versus an icon where I've got a Play icon on the screen and no hints as to what the modifiers do. And then what happens in an FX.zon? Would it still show the play icon? Text feels "more CSI."
This was my thought as well. But I might still add icons. In theory, in certain zones, I could also make the Button assigned to Shift to display a different ICON on the buttons that it can MODIFY. and then go back to the regular ICON when the Shift Button is released. But I'd have to test if this can work.

But I like the idea of seeing the button and already knowing what the modifiers do rather than have to press the modifier to find out.
Old 01-26-2021, 05:20 AM   #473
andyp24

If CSI allows more than two modifiers (eg Ctrl, Shift, Option, Alt), how would you handle the display of button functions if all of them are mapped to it?

Eg a button that has a function assigned to

Button
Shift+Button
Ctrl+Button
Alt+Button
Option+Button

Thanks
Old 01-26-2021, 05:38 AM   #474
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
If CSI allows more than two modifiers (eg Ctrl, Shift, Option, Alt), how would you handle the display of button functions if all of them are mapped to it?

Eg a button that has a function assigned to

Button
Shift+Button
Ctrl+Button
Alt+Button
Option+Button

Thanks
Good point and to expand the question, CSI actually also allows all the combinations too:

Button
Shift+Button
Ctrl+Button
Alt+Button
Option+Button

including, for instance:

Shift+Ctrl+Button
Shift+Alt+Button
Shift+Option+Button

and ALL the combinations all the way up to:

Shift+Ctrl+Alt+Option+Button

I forget how many that is in total, but it's a ton
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 06:02 AM   #475
andyp24

In that case, I guess the answer is either:

a) The most "common" functions appear on the button all the time as Siniarch proposed, and others appear only when the modifier is held down

or

b) VEEERY small writing

:-)
Old 01-26-2021, 07:19 AM   #476
andyp24

More seriously, is something like this possible?

The button displays on the top line (in a bigger font) what it will do if pressed on its own.

On lower lines (in a smaller font) it displays what it will do if one of the 4 modifier keys is pressed.

But then, if one of the modifier keys IS pressed (for example Ctrl), it changes display to:

On the top line (bigger font) it displays what it will do if pressed with the Ctrl key held down.

On lower lines (in a smaller font), it displays what it would do if one of the other keys is held down AS WELL AS Ctrl

Similarly, if Ctrl+ALt are pressed, it changes to:

Top line: what happens if the button is pressed while Ctrl-Alt held.

Lower lines: what happens if one of the remaining two modifiers is pressed AS WELL AS Ctrl+Alt

That might be getting far too clever... But this project is ambitious, right?
Old 01-26-2021, 08:17 AM   #477
Funkybot

Does CSI allow for things like...

DisplayUpper
Shift+DisplayUpper
Alt+DisplayUpper

...it might but I never tried. If so, that should be possible within Reaper+CSI. If not, maybe a CSI Feature Request?
Old 01-26-2021, 08:54 AM   #478
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Does CSI allow for things like...

DisplayUpper
Shift+DisplayUpper
Alt+DisplayUpper

...it might but I never tried. If so, that should be possible within Reaper+CSI. If not, maybe a CSI Feature Request?
Wow, I'm out running errands and not at my computer, but please give this a try !

If it works, we also just eliminated the need for Takeover
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 09:02 AM   #479
Funkybot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Waddington View Post
Wow, I'm out running errands and not at my computer, but please give this a try !

If it works, we also just eliminated the need for Takeover
Just tried this...

Code:
Zone "SelectedChannel"
     SelectedTrackNavigator
     DisplayUpper1                      TrackNameDisplay
     DisplayLower1                      TrackVolumeDisplay
     Shift+DisplayLower1                MCUTrackPanDisplay
...and it totally works!!! Sometimes I have a good idea. I'll bet dollars to donuts I'm not the first to try that.
Old 01-26-2021, 09:50 AM   #480
andyp24

Hey, come on, it was partly my idea too.... :-)

(.... in a round-about way)