Old 01-16-2021, 11:12 PM   #1
Solomon
Human being with feelings

Default Question about window focus

I'm experimenting with using Reaper in my brand-new two-monitor setup, and I've got a question. How do y'all handle this situation? I'm running on Windows 10.

I've got the main Reaper window on one screen in full-screen mode, and I've got the SWS Marker List window on my other display, alongside an Emacs window (that's a text editor). I'm using the Marker List to jump around my project checking out various regions, and I'm using Emacs to take notes as I go.

I'm often not sure which window has the keyboard focus, and I can't really figure out how to tell! I can always give focus to Emacs with alt-tab, but what can I do if the Marker List has focus and I want to give focus to the main Reaper window?

The window list in the alt-tab screen includes the Reaper main window but does not include the SWS Marker List window. If I switch focus to Reaper, and then try to zoom in with the up-arrow, oops, the Marker List intercepts the keystroke so I'm out of luck.

Any suggestions?

Solomon

P.S. sure I could use my mouse and click on the Reaper window to give it focus, but that's a hassle for several reasons (1. reaching for the mouse disrupts my flow; 2. on a two-display system it's often hard to find the mouse cursor; 3. clicking in the Reaper window can often have unintented side-effects, such as selecting things or moving the edit cursor; 4. I'm generally trying to avoid touching the mouse because it gives me RSI).
Solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 11:19 PM   #2
Fergler

An autohotkey script might work for you in this case. You could additionally assign it to keyboard shortcuts which would only work while Reaper is open.

Autohotkey is not too hard to figure out. Here's the WinActivate command which is what you'll need:
https://www.autohotkey.com/docs/comm...inActivate.htm

Looks like some or part of this may work for you (take out the maximize part):
https://www.autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=20147
Old 01-16-2021, 11:31 PM   #3
Solomon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergler View Post
An autohotkey script might work for you in this case.
Wow. This could be a game-changer. Thanks!
Solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 09:54 AM   #4
UNdark

Default Window Focus

If thats happening using fx chain/floating windows - check this out. Your arrange window doesn't actually need to be focused for the hot keys to work..

https://youtu.be/wntJ-dB3s-c
UNdark is offline   Reply With Quote