Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 10-16-2021, 03:04 AM   #41
marcmarc
Human being with feelings

@sockmonkey72
But what you don't understand is that, when I play, I CAN HEAR ALL the notes I play.
The same notes that are skipped on the recorded item.

And yes the raw input is as you describe it

C3 note-on (count of C3s = 1) START C3
C3 note-on (count of C3s = 2) |
C3 note-off (count of C3s = 1) |
C3 note-off (count of C3s = 0) END C3

And YES I can HEAR exactly what I play, so in your example 3 notes.

And NO reaper doesn't RECORD the thing, so in your example it's 1 note recorded.

You seem to think it's a very clever feature… good for you.

From my POV (and the POV of the other DAW tested - DP and Cubase for me, Cakewalk for SimCom) it is a bug and I have to use the above mentionned workaround.
marcmarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 04:21 AM   #42
sockmonkey72

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcmarc View Post
@sockmonkey72
But what you don't understand is that, when I play, I CAN HEAR ALL the notes I play.
The same notes that are skipped on the recorded item.

And yes the raw input is as you describe it

C3 note-on (count of C3s = 1) START C3
C3 note-on (count of C3s = 2) |
C3 note-off (count of C3s = 1) |
C3 note-off (count of C3s = 0) END C3

And YES I can HEAR exactly what I play, so in your example 3 notes.

And NO reaper doesn't RECORD the thing, so in your example it's 1 note recorded.

You seem to think it's a very clever feature… good for you.

From my POV (and the POV of the other DAW tested - DP and Cubase for me, Cakewalk for SimCom) it is a bug and I have to use the above mentionned workaround.
I didn't say it's clever or good, I said it's logical and not a violation of the MIDI spec. I'd prefer the behavior you're expecting, as well.

All I am trying to do is help you improve your bug report to the point that a dev can begin to look at it. Instead, you are getting bogged down in prose descriptions of problems no one can see but yourself. I'm done, hope you can get your problems solved.
sockmonkey72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 03:21 PM   #43
lunakid

New here, just noticed this issue myself (as I rarely record MIDI). Is this a regression? Can't possibly have been always like that.

Since I've seen some comments trying to explain this away, or saying this is not even a problem, or that it's not Reaper... Consider this basic scenario:

Reaper 6.36, 1 new empty project, 1 VST, 1 empty MIDI item, 1 MIDI keyboard.

I start recording in "Replace" mode. I play simple C major chords. And they play just fine through the VST, as expected...

But then, as the cursor proceeds, I can see in horror as *some of the already played and drawn* new notes get erased after the fact, as soon as I lift the keys!...

I think it's a hard sell that this somehow makes any sort of actual practical sense whatsoever, and it should be "expected behavior". This really needs to be addressed (fixed).

(Even if some obscure settings somewhere may be causing some conflicts or interference that somehow result in this behavior, even that would still be a bug, for it could happen without clear warning or indication that we're in a special "lossy recording" mode, only available in Reaper.)
lunakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 07:28 AM   #44
sockmonkey72

What is the software supposed to do in this situation?

Let's call this a note event:
Code:
x------o
, where x is on and o is off.

You are proposing the following scenario on input:
Code:
x------------o
        x------------o
That could mean:

Code:
x-----------------o (ignoring any note-on/note-off data if a key is already pressed)
or

Code:
x---o
     x-------o
             (----o) (terminating and retriggering a note if a new note-on arrives)
or

Code:
x-----------------o
     x--------o (we don't know which note-off belongs to which note-on)

And that's not me just being argumentative, that's a real ambiguity of the data and the MIDI spec. The fact that your synth can handle multiple C3s on a single channel is great, but not required, and not necessarily common. So REAPER is collapsing the data to the first option in this case.

Like I said, I agree that it appears broken. I just think it's one of several bad options in this case.
Old 12-28-2021, 02:11 AM   #45
PdxLuke

I was just experiencing this same issue when recording MIDI from my Juno 106 and trying to play it back. One note would not play back despite the note clearly being present and not overlapping with any other notes. I finally figured out what the issue was, and this might be something others here will want to check on. I switched to the event list view and saw that right around where the problem note was there was an "all notes off" event. I deleted this and everything plays back perfectly.
I'm guessing this is a byproduct of the Juno being a very early MIDI-equipped synth that sends MIDI messages in a less conventional way or something. Anyway, I highly reccommend you check the event list view if this happens to you because it's likely you'll spot some silent note-killing event like I did. Hope this helps.

Last edited by PdxLuke; 12-28-2021 at 02:32 AM. Reason: After leaving a sort of lengthy rant post about how this still wasn't fixed I actually stumbled across the above fix. :)
PdxLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 08:30 AM   #46
andihausi

I also have this problem. It happens pretty random and I cant explain to myself why it is happening.
Tried the same midi file with different VST instruments, but still there. When I export the midi item and open it in another DAW it plays just fine.

Has anybody found the cause or a solution for this?
andihausi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 01:40 PM   #47
Qylvaran

I'm having the same problem. For detail, here is a portion of my MIDI event list. None of the preceding note events overlap the ones shown, and it is the only MIDI track in the project. I have tried it with multiple instrument plugins, including ReaSynth. Any note event at exactly 15.1.00 refuses to make a sound. If I start the note slightly before or after that it works as expected. This does not look like it's caused by what sockmonkey72 described.
Attached Images
File Type: png 2022-01-02 EventListReaper (2).png (43.9 KB, 61 views)
Qylvaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 01:53 PM   #48
sockmonkey72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qylvaran View Post
I'm having the same problem. For detail, here is a portion of my MIDI event list. None of the preceding note events overlap the ones shown, and it is the only MIDI track in the project. I have tried it with multiple instrument plugins, including ReaSynth. Any note event at exactly 15.1.00 refuses to make a sound. If I start the note slightly before or after that it works as expected. This does not look like it's caused by what sockmonkey72 described.
Cool, send that project to the devs. Hopefully they can fix it.

The various issues with stuck notes and other MIDI weirdness are my only "serious" issue with using REAPER. I wish that the developers would prioritize some of these issues, too.

I would pay extra to get MIDI worked on and these various nuisances tightened up, in fact (although I do not have the impression that dev priorities work like that). I don't know what else to do beyond being pushy and repetitive, so this thread is definitely on the right track!

My observation is that the devs ignore threads with known issues (maybe commenting a few years later when they swing around to working on that area of REAPER). Not sure if that's 100% true, but it's true at least some of the time... So maybe this is all known and on a very dusty todo list in the "scary guts of REAPER (not easy)" pile.

Last edited by sockmonkey72; 01-02-2022 at 03:08 PM.
Old 01-14-2022, 01:22 AM   #49
mozart999uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcmarc View Post
For me ReaControlMidi does nothing, in input FX or in output FX.

But in the meantime I've found a better workaround (to what we can call a real bug!).
No more MidiPipe in the path.

"MIDI note length control" (from cfillion in ReaPack) inserted as input FX and it just works!
It works with all the settings set to default but I've put Max lenght to 0.2
My lord thanks so much for this! I was having exactly the same problem with my Bop Pad and reaper.It was driving me mad I'm on windows 10 though, rather than mac.

I noticed it when doing finger rolls on the bop pad. They would sound as rolls when I was playing them but the midi was recording one long note instead of a roll.

Here's a screen shot:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h6x7umc7f4...audio.png?dl=0

What this shows is two tracks being recorded simultaneously. top is the midi from bop pad, bottom is the audio output from kontakt.

This shows that while recording, Kontakt was receiving the multiple hits and having no problem playing them back. However, I think due to a problem with note offs (where the next note on is received before the previous note off), Reaper was only recording one long note, rather than the roll.

I tried these rolls in Cubase and there was no problem.

Here's a screen shot of reacontrol midi on prefx showing what the bop pad is sending:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/it3y3undtz...0roll.png?dl=0

I've had this too with my piano controller, some times fast repeated notes on one key get recorded as one long note .....

BTW be interested in chatting to you about how you use your bop pad in reaper. I'm new to it and still learning it's potential with various VSTi's
mozart999uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 10:31 PM   #50
Sparky46

I don't see a plugin named "Reapack"???
Sparky46 is offline   Reply With Quote