Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 11-20-2018, 12:32 AM   #1
Equal
Human being with feelings

Default Linux not ready for audio production

Hi,

I am going to pose a question/statement which has been on my mind for a while and would like to ask you opinion.

It seems to me that linux (ubuntu 18 in my case) is just still not ready for professionally doing audio production.

Some plugins don't work with any bridge.
My version of Kontakt always crashes on first load and keeps taking away cpu. After first load it works moderately ok. Same goes for the free version of Kontakt.

The sample plug-in from spitfire audio (Labs) just does not recognize the library location or something else is bugging it.

All in all I just feel tired of finding workarounds for everything. I feel ready to switch back to windows, where reaper and all other software works like a charm... out of the box.

What do you guys say?
Equal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 03:16 AM   #2
4duhwinnn

It's not a matter of switching, it's trivial to maintain
a linux setup alongside whatever else you need/love.
Plenty of win users have an ipad or mac, and mac users
have plenty of dell and asus desktops and/or laptops.

If Kontakt is the center of your workflow, there are a few
people here using it well, and some info to help is at the linvst
web-site, as well as in several previous postings here.
Cheers
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 09:16 AM   #3
JamesPeters

Linux is ready. If you need some specific Windows-only software to run, then for you that's a bit of a different story. But it's not the fault of Linux. That's the fault of the developers who will not make their software for it. In a number of ways it's actually a better platform for a DAW than Windows or OSX.

You are what's known as an entrenched user of Windows. For just that one piece of software alone you would probably stick with Windows. I understand too. But let's put the focus on where the problem really is: developers who should be developing software for Linux. It may seem pedantic to say this but I think it's important we make the distinction clear in our language. Someone else on the forums was recently saying Reaper isn't ready in Linux. Lol. No it's neither of these things. Blame Native Instruments and I mean literally do that, contact them and tell them that they need to develop a Linux version of Kontakt. The more people telling them that the sooner they will do it. Be sure to tell them it's for use in native Linux Reaper, as a VST plugin.

I should make it clear where I stand on this. I think bridging is a good solution for some people, but in a perfect world it shouldn't be necessary. I would hope that software developers finally take Linux seriously at this point. This is a chicken or egg situation and someone has to go first. If they expect their potential customers to already be using Linux before they develop for it, they miss the point that people like you won't make the switch until the software is available. That is something to their own credit, for having created software that makes people entrenched users of an operating system. Perhaps eventually they will get the idea that "if they build it, people will come". Anyway the fact that Reaper is available natively on Linux might help spur other developers.

Last edited by JamesPeters; 11-20-2018 at 09:40 AM.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 10:21 AM   #4
s wave

Default Agreed linux is ready...

There are always options. I have long been done with proprietary type OSs. Its a choice. Some people have the money to pay for total out-of-the-box working systems. Some people like to forge forward and create new and exciting things as well as out of necessity. I would love to have a great spectral wave graphic audio editor; but I don't. Not having that has allowed me to find, pursue and create many sounds and songs that I wouldn't have had otherwise. To me success is seeing the exchange. I just can not stand when there is an internal problem within windows with no work around. I feel very comfortable knowing that not having a few specific plugins is worth it in exchange of other headaches brought with bloated OSs. If I need a sound I will find a way to create it, sometimes it is better than the plugin sound I don't have. Or I will find someone who can help me better achieve my goal.

Just to have REAPER working on a flexible secure Linux OS with built in Logical Volume Manager is enough for me. I can hot swap - cold swap or add many more hard drives or storage devices let alone for NAS or incredible soft synths set ups or midi controller options. I guess if I really needed a specific vst sound I might record it with a win 7 set-up and export it.

Like stated above, many people here are happily using Kontakt here. The crashes could be coming for a variety of reasons. I had many many crashes using Windows. Generally they were from some seemingly unrelated reason. One was from a HP proprietary monitor driver... of all things. I got that ironed out fairly quick and easy with linux. Something, I think I never could have done on a win system. I run a few PCs for specific reasons... I use Ardour for a few plugins I have come to like. I just export the wave file to Reaper. If you are having some problems specifically with certain hardware or drivers or whatever... there are some very smart people here that will help you. tc
s wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 10:22 AM   #5
s wave

Default Agreed linux is ready...

There are always options. I have long been done with proprietary type OSs. Its a choice. Some people have the money to pay for total out-of-the-box working systems. Some people like to forge forward and create new and exciting things as well as out of necessity. I would love to have a great spectral wave graphic audio editor; but I don't. Not having that has allowed me to find, pursue and create many sounds and songs that I wouldn't have had otherwise. To me success is seeing the exchange. I just can not stand when there is an internal problem within windows with no work around. I feel very comfortable knowing that having a few nice plugins is worth it in exchange of other headaches brought with bloated OSs. If I need a sound I will find a way to create it, sometimes it is better than the plugin sound I don't have. Or I will find someone who can help me better achieve my goal.

Just to have REAPER working on a flexible secure Linux OS with built in Logical Volume Manager is enough for me. I can hot swap - cold swap or add many more hard drives or storage devices let alone for NAS or incredible soft synths set ups or midi controller options. I guess if I really needed a specific vst sound I might record it with a win 7 set-up.

Like stated above, many people here are happily using Kontakt here. The crashes could be coming for a variety of reasons. I had many many crashes using Windows. Generally they were from some seemingly unrelated reason. One was from a HP proprietary monitor driver... of all things. I got that ironed out fairly quick and easy with linux. Something, I think I never could have done on a win system. I run a few PCs for specific reasons... I use Ardour for a few plugins I have come to like. I just export the wave file to Reaper. If you are having some problems specifically with certain hardware or drivers or whatever... there are some very smart people here that will help you. tc
s wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 11:49 AM   #6
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equal View Post
Some plugins don't work with any bridge.
My version of Kontakt always crashes on first load and keeps taking away cpu. After first load it works moderately ok. Same goes for the free version of Kontakt.
If you have to have Windows plugins, you should probably stick with Windows. I have successfully gotten Komplete Elements, EZ-Drummer, PSP Vintage Warmer, and a bunch of other Windows plugins working quite well in Xubuntu 18.04, but I left a bunch of other plugins back in Windows that require an iLok and PACE, which I'm sure won't fly running in WINE.

I've personally adopted a philosophy that since the recording of multi-track audio works great in REAPER for Linux, that I will use it as my primary DAW. My machine is dual boot so if I needed a plugin that won't run in Linux I could simply boot Windows and work on the song there, but in reality, I've done multiple projects in Linux, never once wanting to boot Windows for a plugin that doesn't run in WINE/Linux.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 12:37 PM   #7
kytdkut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
[...]but I left a bunch of other plugins back in Windows that require an iLok and PACE, which I'm sure won't fly running in WINE.
[...]
Hijacking to say: authorizing plugins via iLok License Manager is working for me. I'm currently using some Eventide stuff and the Soundtoys bundle (probably can't live without these).

Back in thread: Kontakt is a complex bit of software, it has its quirks even on Windows IIRC. Other (W$) plugins work fine. I'm kind of done searching plugins, with u-He, Soundtoys, and Airwindows (!!!) stuff I'm happy. But anyways I hate big samplers so maybe my case would be different if my workflow relied on them.
kytdkut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 02:44 PM   #8
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytdkut View Post
Hijacking to say: authorizing plugins via iLok License Manager is working for me. I'm currently using some Eventide stuff and the Soundtoys bundle (probably can't live without these).

Back in thread: Kontakt is a complex bit of software, it has its quirks even on Windows IIRC. Other (W$) plugins work fine. I'm kind of done searching plugins, with u-He, Soundtoys, and Airwindows (!!!) stuff I'm happy. But anyways I hate big samplers so maybe my case would be different if my workflow relied on them.
The main one that I'm pretty sure won't work in Linux is the Lexicon MPX Native Reverb, which requires an iLok2 or higher hardware dongle.

I do also have SoundToys "Little Plate" and Eventide EQuivocate in Windows, which I believe both will work with the software only version of PACE, but I haven't bothered trying to get them to work in Linux.

As for Kontakt, I upgraded to the full version on the Windows side of my dual boot DAW, so I had a deactivated license for Komplete Elements which has a stripped down library of samples. With the help of some of the more Linux savvy people here, I was able to install Komplete Elements and activate it online with no issues.

I'm running it on WINE-Stable in Xubuntu 18.04, and it has performed equally well with how it previously performed in Windows.

One day I will deactivate the full version of Kontakt in Windows and then re-activate it in Linux, but for now I can live with the more limited sample library since I mostly record real instruments.
Old 11-21-2018, 02:56 AM   #9
monty

unfortunately there are some plugins that do not work with wine, but there will probably be more linux plugins coming soon, because more and more people are totally frustrated by windows. The reaper team has now taken a big step forward w/ the linux version and there will be certainly follow more & more DAW developer in near future to provide linux daw & plugins ...
Linux is very stable compared to windows and without integrated OS spyware crap. I'm very happy with my kubuntu installation.
Manjaro-KDE RT, AMD FX-8350, 16GB, nvidia GT 630, Multiscreen (2x 22", 1x 15"), Reaper (latest) Theme: iLogic Next, Interface: Tascam US-16x08, ControlSurface: Tascam US-2400, Monitors: JBL 4412A, Tascam VL-S3 & Alesis Elevate 3 mkII
monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 06:16 AM   #10
Jack Winter

Quote:
How do you get iLok working?

I've been trying to install Soundtoys v5 and can for the life of me not get it working. Still have 2 days or so to take advantage of the sale..!
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 08:58 AM   #11
X2theL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Winter View Post

I've been trying to install Soundtoys v5 and can for the life of me not get it working. Still have 2 days or so to take advantage of the sale..!
Oh yes, please elaborate. Soundtoys are maybe the last reason I still have a Win 7 partition. I don't have Wine installed but some positive news here would probably make me try my luck.

Also interesting in this regard:

https://www.soundtoys.com/version-5-...now-available/

Seems like we can now use them without iLok.

As for the OP: don't judge an operating system by its ability to run software compiled for a different operating system. Linux is "ready for audio production". Most plugin developers are probably just afraid of the expected increase in support requests should they provide Linux builds.
X2theL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 09:09 AM   #12
Glennbo

Not Soundtoys, but I just got Arturia's Minimoog V working last night, running in Wine and bridged with LinVST. I booted up Windows and ran REAPER there for the first time in a couple months to look through all my plugins, checking to see if there were any I had overlooked. Sure enough that was one of them, so I got out the disk I had made back a year ago, ran the installer, put my serial number in and it worked.

If you guys get Soundtoys stuff to fly I would be real interested to know what it takes, because I have a license for Little Plate, which is a reverb I really like and one of the only Windows plugins I haven't even tried to bring over to Linux, since I have it setup in Windows with an iLok2 dongle.
Old 11-28-2018, 09:25 AM   #13
Jae.Thomas

sure it is - if you know how to hack it or don't need certain plugins.

It's marginally better than it was in 2005
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 10:48 AM   #14
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
It's way better than in 2005 In fact reaper for linux is most of the way there, but IMO plugin support is really a weak aspect (depending on what you do)..
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Old 11-28-2018, 11:30 AM   #15
Glennbo

Quote:
It's way better than in 2005 In fact reaper for linux is most of the way there, but IMO plugin support is really a weak aspect (depending on what you do)..
That said, I just got ballsy and installed Toontrack's product manager. Once I signed in it showed me the 15 products I have purchased from them, and let me click my way to installing the Steinway grand piano, Wurlitzer, Rhodes, and upright grand pianos.

I had been holding off on trying to install those, because I knew I would need to do it online, where with EZ-Drummer I have a physical disk that I installed from. The online installer works just like it does in Windows, and is making me think now about trying to install the full version of Kontakt, which is the same situation.

I have already installed Komplete Elements, but that one I have a physical disk for, so I will have to do the online install to get the full version of Kontakt just like the Toontrack stuff.
Old 11-28-2018, 11:48 AM   #16
Jack Winter

AFAIK Toontrack products have worked for a long time, but I haven't used any for the last few years. Interestingly they are apparently built with JUCE, so probably just a few recompiles away from potentially being native linux :S

Native access and even the older kompletes are harder. Follow the LinVst instructions, the biggest problem is the app bombing out after downloading a zip or iso. Then you need to manually install it. Apparently wine is missing the functionality to mount the download properly so the app crashes.

When I tested kontakt it appeared to work surprisingly well.

Sounds horrible, but it is doable. After all it's just the install..
Old 11-28-2018, 12:23 PM   #17
Glennbo

You and OSXmidi helped me get Komplete Elements installed from my actual DVD disk. It did have the mount issue where the Mac portion was visible but the Windows part was not.

I installed Native Access and am downloading the full Kontakt library right now. When I first ran it, it showed all my purchased products and had the Kontakt Application marked as damaged, which was likely due to it being Kontakt Player and not the full version. I clicked the fix it button and it now says it's installed but I haven't tried it yet since the library is only 25% downloaded.

I like the strings and horns from Kontakt, which is what I used it mostly for in Windows. Hopefully it isn't going to want to do an install from an ISO once this download finishes, but I think I'll go look up those posts on how to do it, while waiting . . . Just in case.
Old 11-28-2018, 12:30 PM   #18
Jack Winter

I still haven't installed kontakt + libs with NA. I imagine that you get iso files and have to use the same options to mount them. I seem to remember there is a way to point the install at where the libs are.
Old 11-28-2018, 01:11 PM   #19
Glennbo

Quote:
I still haven't installed kontakt + libs with NA. I imagine that you get iso files and have to use the same options to mount them. I seem to remember there is a way to point the install at where the libs are.
I just checked it out and it is downloading an ISO file into my downloads folder. I'm going to burn it to a DVD when it's done, so I'll have a installable copy that doesn't need to be downloaded for future use.

I dug out my Linux cheat sheets and found the info on making the Windows part of the ISO visible so you can run the install. I'll include it in this post in case anybody reading this can use it.

--------------------------------------------------------------
The iso file needs to be mounted as a udf with a unhide option because the iso is Windows/Mac and the Windows part needs the unhide option.

sudo mount -t udf ~/.wine/drive_c/users/user/Downloads/isoname.iso -o unhide /mnt

cd /mnt and then install.
Old 11-28-2018, 07:36 PM   #20
JamesPeters

Quote:
sure it is - if you know how to hack it or don't need certain plugins.

No hacking necessary. Only a couple steps to optimize a distro for audio use (fewer than Windows requires).

And if you "need certain plugins", you're probably a terrible musician/producer.
Old 11-28-2018, 08:13 PM   #21
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
No hacking necessary. Only a couple steps to optimize a distro for audio use (fewer than Windows requires).

And if you "need certain plugins", you're probably a terrible musician/producer.
I'm dependent on the Windows "Talent" plugin, which doesn't work properly in Linux, so I'm screwed!!!
Old 11-28-2018, 08:20 PM   #22
JamesPeters

Quote:
I'm dependent on the Windows "Talent" plugin, which doesn't work properly in Linux, so I'm screwed!!!
That's when you get the "complete" Ableton package and just use all the included sounds in rectangular chunks to "make songs" and "be a musician" that way.
Old 11-28-2018, 10:26 PM   #23
Klangfarben

Can we go back to the part about someone actually getting ilok licensing working? I've had no luck with this or ilok cloud. If someone actually did manage this, please post what distro you're using and steps please!
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 06:30 PM   #24
4duhwinnn

Hi, I started a new topic for this, as there are many excellent
products that should run fine, once the software-ilok is
functioning, and apps can get registered
Cheers
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 05:10 AM   #25
Mcgiver69

Quote:
The main one that I'm pretty sure won't work in Linux is the Lexicon MPX Native Reverb, which requires an iLok2 or higher hardware dongle.

I do also have SoundToys "Little Plate" and Eventide EQuivocate in Windows, which I believe both will work with the software only version of PACE, but I haven't bothered trying to get them to work in Linux.

As for Kontakt, I upgraded to the full version on the Windows side of my dual boot DAW, so I had a deactivated license for Komplete Elements which has a stripped down library of samples. With the help of some of the more Linux savvy people here, I was able to install Komplete Elements and activate it online with no issues.

I'm running it on WINE-Stable in Xubuntu 18.04, and it has performed equally well with how it previously performed in Windows.

One day I will deactivate the full version of Kontakt in Windows and then re-activate it in Linux, but for now I can live with the more limited sample library since I mostly record real instruments.
I would recommend you try Oril River, it's for windows and I have it working bridged with LinVst and it is absolutely superb. Oh and best of all it is FREE!!!

https://www.kvraudio.com/product/ori...-denis-tihanov
Mcgiver69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 07:15 AM   #26
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
well, apparently you aren't a R3AL pr0ducer unless you dont "need" plugins.

Old 11-30-2018, 07:16 AM   #27
Jae.Thomas

Quote:

Don't have to do anything to windows here............
Old 11-30-2018, 08:28 AM   #28
Glennbo

Quote:
That's because Windows does _it_ to you, whether you like it or not!

The very reason most of us are using Linux!!!

I now have the full version of Kontakt, Komplete Elements, Arturia Minimoog V, Superior Drummer 2, EZ-Drummer 1, EZ-Keys, Native Instruments B4 Organ, FM7, and pretty much every other Windows based VSTi plugin I own working GREAT in Linux, and I'm no longer a source of constant data mining revenue for Microsoft!

I played this through REAPER for Linux from my V-Drums into Superior Drummer using a custom drum kit I created using drum samples from 5 different Toontrack libraries.

https://www.soundclick.com/html5/v4/...ongID=13812827

Linux IS ready for audio production on my machine. YMMV
Old 11-30-2018, 08:30 AM   #29
Jae.Thomas

and i think that sums it up nicely... YMMV
Old 11-30-2018, 08:42 AM   #30
Glennbo

Quote:
and i think that sums it up nicely... YMMV
If you are referring to the Windows plugins, believe me when I say I could have done the very same drum demo, only using these real drums which are mic'd up right behind me just like you see 'em. I don't even use Superior Drummer for anything now other than an elaborate metronome until I can put these drums on a track.

Last edited by Glennbo; 11-30-2018 at 08:49 AM.
Old 11-30-2018, 08:53 AM   #31
kytdkut

Quote:

Oh, sorry, I completely forgot about checking the forum, hope you're still in time to get the bundle (these are one of the best plugins I ever used... I'm using them in all my projects)

I don't have any specific advice on how to make iLok License Manager to run

Specs are these:

Arch Linux, 4.19.5(-ck, not relevant), wine(-tkg —again, not relevant, this did work with wine-staging)

Will install on a fresh wineprefix and see what overrides it needs
Old 11-30-2018, 08:57 AM   #32
JamesPeters

Quote:
well, apparently you aren't a R3AL pr0ducer unless you dont "need" plugins.

Specific ones, yes.

Quote:
I guess I could post a bunch of links from the forum of people having to change their power configuration in control panel, reconfigure how Windows uses audio, fight with drivers and conflicts, or just generally deal with odd problems that Windows 10 has caused a bunch of people. But hey if it works for you then I guess it's perfect right? And I guess that means Linux is crap right?

Last edited by JamesPeters; 11-30-2018 at 09:06 AM.
Old 11-30-2018, 09:02 AM   #33
kytdkut

Quote:
Will install on a fresh wineprefix and see what overrides it needs
It does not need any wine override. I've created the fresh wineprefix, ran 'License Support Win64.exe' and then ran '[...]/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/iLok License Manager/iLok License Manager.exe' and that was it. From there you login into your account and authorise things, then run the plugins (they have to be installed in the same wineprefix as the iLok manager) with LinVST or whatever and that's all

But I guess this is not working for some of you?
Old 11-30-2018, 09:10 AM   #34
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Specific ones, yes.

I guess I could post a bunch of links from the forum of people having to change their power configuration in control panel, reconfigure how Windows uses audio, fight with drivers and conflicts, or just generally deal with odd problems that Windows 10 has caused a bunch of people. But hey if it works for you then I guess it's perfect right? And I guess that means Linux is crap right?
nah it just means people don't really use it.
Old 11-30-2018, 09:14 AM   #35
JamesPeters

Quote:
nah it just means people don't really use it.
I'll be sure to tell Glennbo he's not a person.

Or was that the appeal to popularity fallacy?
Old 11-30-2018, 09:15 AM   #36
Glennbo

Quote:
deal with odd problems that Windows 10 has caused a bunch of people
I wish Linux would hose my audio device on every update like Windows 10 does.

I just love the smell of motherboard audio in REAPER!
Old 11-30-2018, 09:16 AM   #37
Glennbo

Quote:
I'll be sure to tell Glennbo he's not a person.
No need, as an artificial intelligence, I already knew that!
Old 11-30-2018, 09:16 AM   #38
Jae.Thomas

calm down boys
Old 11-30-2018, 09:17 AM   #39
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
I wish Linux would hose my audio device on every update like Windows 10 does.

I just love the sound of motherboard audio in REAPER!
well i mean, that doesn't happen of course. Not to mention I don't have to learn a new language to install a driver for my fireface
Old 11-30-2018, 09:18 AM   #40
JamesPeters

Quote:
calm down boys
Ok dad.

Enjoy trolling the Linux forum, You know, the forum for the operating system you would rather use but are too scared to because you might have to use your brain for a few seconds.