Old 04-15-2018, 02:59 AM   #1
Orel
Human being with feelings

Default 2 questions about musical notation view

Hi everyone !

I am currently trying to work on a piano score, so I am dealing with a treble clef and a bass clef

I can't figure out how to write a note higher than a c# in bass clef or lower than a b in treble clef. It switches between both staffs, making me unable to write a high D in bass clef for example, wich is pretty current.

Thx for reading

Edit : oh, i forgot something. How can I transform a C# into a b flat ?

Oh and I cant find any shortcut to scroll vertically with the mousewheel !

Last edited by Orel; 04-15-2018 at 03:30 AM.
Orel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 01:33 PM   #2
Orel

Anyone ? The first problem i explained makes the score really weird for a musician to read :/
Orel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 02:22 PM   #3
Jason Lyon

Orel:

I think the notation view is best regarded as a reasonably useful work in progress for now. I don't know what Cockos' priorities are, but hopefully it'll gradually improve as version 6 goes on. Maybe one day we'll get a fully integrated solution.

I tend to split the task into two chunks and use the best tool for each job. That is, I work in Sibelius up to a certain point then export the MIDI into REAPER for really detailed mockup work (and the occasional fix). I actually find this task division a useful workflow anyway - I'm in full-on composing mode in Sib (where things don't need to sound that good) then in full-on programming mode in REAPER (where I'm solely concerned with making things sound as good as possible).

So I don't really use notation in REAPER, but I seem to recall that one of the right-click options in the notation editor is to insert a key change. Presumably that would at least default accidentals to flats or sharps according to the key.

As to the issue of the clef split point, I imagine that's a nightmare to program. It's difficult enough to manage in a dedicated scorewriting/engraving program.

One option would be to have two separate tracks for treble and bass clefs. (I tend to do that anyway, for ease of editing performances and for some simple extra control over low and high end in piano samplers.) But perhaps REAPER would then simply display another staff rather than using leger lines as you wish. Worth a try.

Attached is a script to split a full keyboard track into RH and LH tracks at a user chosen note. It might be useful to you.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ec82ezg3c1...dAlfa.lua?dl=0

I'll earmark this thread though - maybe someone will come along with better advice.
Jason Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 02:35 PM   #4
juliansader

Select notes, right-click and check
* Staff -> Top or Bottom,
* Accidental -> b or #.

Scroll vertically (MIDI relative/mousewheel)

REAPER's notation view is actually quite advanced!
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 03:14 PM   #5
Jason Lyon

Thanks for that Julian.

REAPER surprises me again. I guess what I was basically saying was that I don't really expect it to be on a par with a dedicated scorewriter. At least, not yet and perhaps it needn't ever.

I should probably try to make the time to visit the notation view in earnest on one of my orchestral projects. It would certainly suit me - I'm an old quill'n'parchment git and I've never been a fan of piano roll. Just had to adapt to it...

OT I know, but since I have the attention of a scripting guru, I wonder if I could ask your opinion on the limited MIDI chasing functionality in REAPER.

I think an option to retrigger maybe the last three or four ccs would be a great addition. That way, eg legato on/off, con sordino on/off, divisis and specific articulations would be more consistently covered.

I think I can see a way of doing a sort of "Multi Chase Play" Lua script by reverse parsing the MIDI files and buffer stuffing, but I'm not knowledgeable enough about MIDI in the raw to proceed.

Any thoughts?
Jason Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote