Old 05-13-2010, 04:12 PM   #1
southboundloco
Human being with feelings

Default PANNING problem in REAPER

am mixing a song at the moment in reaper and there's a strange thing happenning when i pan mono tracks. i have mono tracks that when i pan it hard right the sound stays in the middle, but when i pan it hard left there is no signal...am i missing something here. or is this a bug?
southboundloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:46 PM   #2
Mr. Data

Yes, you are most likely missing something, but there can be many reasons for this. Routing, cabling, setting of gear....

Check the signal path from the track of Reaper to your speakers.

-Data
Mr. Data is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:33 PM   #3
Nicko

Same problem here it seems to be related to the project. If i start a new one all work A1 but in that projet i can see the meter goes up and down and i ear nothing when its panned to the right again the pan works well on my others project.
Nicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 07:41 PM   #4
poppa_john

Bump!!! Any fix??

Ive spent hours figuring out why this mix is sucking scrotum. I don't want to start this entire song from scratch, delays verbs, eqs, comps, sends, etc, are all in place.

I see reaper sending the signal to the Right chan but whenever i pan right, the audio keeps getting lower and lower until its completely silent at 100%. Panning left makes no change in the audio field.

Im using Asio4All on this laptop as Im on vaca and i didn't lug around my entire set up. Windows and Asio4all detect L+R fine as evidenced in new projects opening fine and in the control panel.

Million dollar questions:
- How do I check routing of this particular project (other than the matrix)?
- Can i simply fix this problem?
- If not, is there a way to copy the entire project to a new one so the new one will work? Including plugins, sends, etc?

Yes, a million dollars to who helps me out :P (legally i must say KIDDING before i get my pants sued off)
poppa_john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:13 PM   #5
Ed Zeppeli

Are you battling any automation?

Check and see if the trouble track(s) have some panning automation on them.

Good luck,

Warren
Ed Zeppeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:24 PM   #6
moliere

double check your hardware outputs (io) on the master, and that you've got your L+R enabled as outputs in your audio device preferences.

also, you can select all your tracks on the left and copy into a new tab (but that won't help if it's in the routing of the tracks themselves).

Maybe post up the project (without media) and someone can have a quick look and see if it's anything obvious in the project itself.
moliere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:13 AM   #7
schwa
Administrator

Posting the .rpp (without media), and explaining which track shows the problem, would probably be the fastest way to get to the cause.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 08:17 PM   #8
ShoGunzalez

Default Same Issue, need help

So I have the same issue. I would really appreciate some help. I have 4 guitar tracks recorded. 1 hard left, 1 50/50 left/center and mirrored on the right. I have checked and re-checked everything from I/O setup to hardware to wiring/cabling, mixer/interface. The specific issue is that I have the tracks on the right, there is a break in the song where I want to hear only the left then only the right and it goes back and forth for a couple of measures and the song picks back up. I setup an automated pan envelope to make this happen. The track that is already panned hard right won't playback if I use the automated pan feature and automatically pan it all the way right. It plays in the right channel when I center the pan. The right 50/50 channel won't play if I pan it right but will play if centered and only out of both channels, when I panned it all the way left just for shizz'n'gigs it still played the audio through both channels as if it had not been panned at all. I have no idea what to do please help.
ShoGunzalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 12:21 AM   #9
EvilDragon

Check out the different panning modes (right-click the pan knob on the track).
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 11:11 PM   #10
SoundGuyDave

Going to bump this rather than start a fresh thread...

I have a panning issue. This is on a mature file, with PLENTY of previously perfect panning. Scenario involves two mono guitar tracks, one panned hard left, the other hard right. I inserted a mono instance of Waves' Stomp2 on each track, and had immediate panning issues with the "left" track. I deleted the new VST on both tracks, and still have panning issues with the "left" track. It's not hardware, it's not cabling, this is all within the DAW. Routing is simple: guitar tracks feed a folder parent (along with two more guitar tracks), which in turn feeds the main mix buss. There is some sort of a phase weirdness happening here. The panning shows "strange" at the folder meters, as well as the master. All tracks are using the default pan mode and gain law. Changing pan mode has no effect. If I change mode to "dual pan" and go 100$ left on both, I still wind up with a nearly mono signal at the folder parent.

For diagnostics, I dropped a pink generator on the suspect track, and here is what I observed: Panned hard L, the meters read -17.8dB/-16.6dB. Panned C the meters read -12.2/-27.6dB. Panned hard right, the meters read -17.8/-15.0. I can't upload the .RPP as it exceeds the forum's max filesize. Routing for the "weird" track is identical to the rest of the folder's child tracks, with Parent send enabled.

Closing and restarting Reaper does NOT fix the problem. Bypassing the inserted VSTs does NOT fix the problem.

So, to sum up: Mono recorded guitar track, no VSTs enabled, default pan mode and gain law, does not feed the parent track properly. Three other "child" tracks feeding the same parent DO work properly, though.

Help!
SoundGuyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 01:34 AM   #11
mlprod

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundGuyDave View Post
Going to bump this rather than start a fresh thread...

I have a panning issue. This is on a mature file, with PLENTY of previously perfect panning. Scenario involves two mono guitar tracks, one panned hard left, the other hard right. I inserted a mono instance of Waves' Stomp2 on each track, and had immediate panning issues with the "left" track. I deleted the new VST on both tracks, and still have panning issues with the "left" track. It's not hardware, it's not cabling, this is all within the DAW. Routing is simple: guitar tracks feed a folder parent (along with two more guitar tracks), which in turn feeds the main mix buss. There is some sort of a phase weirdness happening here. The panning shows "strange" at the folder meters, as well as the master. All tracks are using the default pan mode and gain law. Changing pan mode has no effect. If I change mode to "dual pan" and go 100$ left on both, I still wind up with a nearly mono signal at the folder parent.

For diagnostics, I dropped a pink generator on the suspect track, and here is what I observed: Panned hard L, the meters read -17.8dB/-16.6dB. Panned C the meters read -12.2/-27.6dB. Panned hard right, the meters read -17.8/-15.0. I can't upload the .RPP as it exceeds the forum's max filesize. Routing for the "weird" track is identical to the rest of the folder's child tracks, with Parent send enabled.

Closing and restarting Reaper does NOT fix the problem. Bypassing the inserted VSTs does NOT fix the problem.

So, to sum up: Mono recorded guitar track, no VSTs enabled, default pan mode and gain law, does not feed the parent track properly. Three other "child" tracks feeding the same parent DO work properly, though.

Help!
Delete all tracks not relevant to the problem and upload rpp.This thread should probably be moved.
Old 09-14-2019, 02:24 AM   #12
SoundGuyDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlprod View Post
Delete all tracks not relevant to the problem and upload rpp.This thread should probably be moved.
Weird one... I had to strip almost all the VSTs out to try to get a 2-track plus folder .RPP file to fit the forum limits, and found a VST on the folder that had gotten set to M-S input rather than L-R (I don't remember doing that, but...). Pilot error!

TROUBLESHOOTING TIP: If you have panning issues (or anything else for that matter), START by bypassing all the FX blocks in the signal chain, and then bring them back in until the problem re-occurs! I went at it from the other direction, and it bit me in the butt. I keep forgetting that the track metering is post-fade (and thus post FX).
Thanks MLProd!
SoundGuyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 03:06 PM   #13
petergreeny

Exact same panning problem (with automation) here as described in the original posts from 2010. Not fixed yet? This is clearly a bug, and a major one. Was pulling my hair out last night trying to figure out if I was going mad until I stumbled upon this thread...
petergreeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 03:48 PM   #14
nofish

To quote from an above post:

Quote:
Posting the .rpp (without media), and explaining which track shows the problem, would probably be the fastest way to get to the cause.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote