Old 03-19-2010, 11:41 AM   #321
musicbynumbers
Human being with feelings

Think Jeffos is working on this I think...
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 05:23 PM   #322
Jeffos
Mortal

three things make me hallucinate:
1. nobody's asking "does S&M means what I think it means ?"
2. nobody's reporting bugs ?
3. Tim credited me in the SWS Extensions

about 2): No biggies but I know there're some bugs in very particular cicumpstances (REAPER v3.35). I can't really do something about that, well.. as I wasn't very confortable with that, I've added a global protection (see bellow) so that all should be fine.
about 3): So, I have to deserve it, now!!!
=> here are some other goodies for the NEXT build

___

Global "Safety" update (temporary, I hope): many S&M actions will have no effect while *recording*. See http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=52002 for tech. details

Added send/rcv action:
- Remove receives for selected track(s)

Added FX actions: FX selection (!) + some related actions
- Select previous FX (cycling) for selected track(s)
- Select next FX (cycling) for selected track(s)
- Select FX n for selected track(s)
where n is in [1; 8]. Please, note that the multi-selection in REAPER is only graphical, I can't do that from an extension plugin.
=> Toggle selected FX online/offline for selected track(s)
=> Set selected FX online for selected track(s)
=> Set selected FX offline for selected track(s)
=> Toggle all FXs (except selected) online/offline for selected track(s)
=> Toggle selected FX bypass for selected track(s)
=> Bypass selected FX bypass for selected track(s)
=> Unbypass selected FX for selected track(s)
=> Toggle all FXs (except selected) bypass for selected track(s)

Added window actions:
- Float FX n window for selected track(s)
where n is in [1; 8]. Also, before someone asks for it, please note that I'm unable to un-float FX windows
(well.. I'm able to but REAPER doesn't obey!)
=> Float selected FX window for selected track(s)
=> Show FX chain (selected FX) for selected track(s)
I've already added some "Show FX chain (FX n) for selected track(s)" actions

Updated FX chain actions:
- 32 slots are now available
as there's no related GUI (yet), the only way to access slots from 9 to 32 is to use the new "prompt for slot" actions, see bellow. New actions "List FX chain slots..." & "Clear FX chain slot..." may help for that too.

Added FX chain actions:
- Copy FX chain from selected track
- Cut FX chain from selected track
- Paste FX chain to selected track(s)
rmk: the FX chain "clipboard" is shared with items, so it's possible to copy/paste from tracks to items and vice-et-versa
- Load/Paste FX chain to selected track(s), prompt for slot
- Load/Paste FX chain to selected item(s), prompt for slot
- Load/Paste FX chain to selected item(s), all takes, prompt for slot
- List FX chain slots...
- Clear FX chain slot...
I added those 2 last actions just as a facility (better than opening <my_reaper_dir>\Plugins\S&M.ini a text editor)

Take actions:
- Comping - Clear active take(s)
this one was added in the previous build, just slightly renamed
- Comping - Build lane(s) for selected track(s)
This action uses the "Empty takes" Cockos has added recently. BTW, it's clean and it adds very few overhead in project files.
- Comping - Remove empty take(s) in selected item(s)
- Comping - Move takes up (cycling)
- Comping - Move takes down (cycling)
- Comping - Select lane from selected item

___

A few words on the last comping actions: after first messing around FIPM, doing some take renaming actions,.. I ended with those set of actions. I thought I could share them: after supporting out loud 4 famous FRs about the take system, I'm now quiet happy as it is..
..but our workflow is:

1) record like pigs, just music, no mouse clicks and stuff. So, as a consequence, we end up with:

what we want 2 main things
* "tagging" bad takes (no need to re-listen to them they just suck)
=> S&M: Comping - Clear active take(s)
* turn those takes into "lanes" (for obvious visual reasons, consistent take numbers,..)
=> S&M: Comping - Build lane(s) for selected track(s)

2) then it looks like that

other S&M comping actions are sometimes usefull, also combined with native actions "Switch items to next/previous take".

I hope all will be fine (can't check before a few days..)
Enjoy!
Jeffos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 05:49 PM   #323
sws
Code Monkey

Jeffos's updates above are in the new SWS v1.6.2 #2. Enjoy, and thanks Jeffos!

Btw, does S&M mean what I think it means?

Last edited by sws; 03-19-2010 at 06:05 PM.
sws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 07:14 PM   #324
jonespnice

These updates sounds great, thanks sws and jeffos.
jonespnice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 07:19 PM   #325
BenK-msx

WOW.

thanks jeffos - lots to investigate.

some S&M with Carla Bruni perhaps?
oolaalaa

[edit] I didn't think i'd like the 'slot prompt' for the extra slots, (would prefer a direct action eventually) *but* if I can remember the slot number of each fx chain, (which should happen with the help of a post-it note), I think it could be pretty swift!
"oh i need to apply filterX - that's number 12!... " BAM. its done.
very good indeed. thanku

Last edited by BenK-msx; 03-19-2010 at 07:33 PM.
BenK-msx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 07:37 PM   #326
BenK-msx

Jeffos: in the spirit of your asking for bugs..

the slot prompt should probably be 'empty' when it comes up,
currently it has "1" in it which you have to delete before entering the number of choice.

be better/quicker if if was just: prompt appears, you type the number, then hit OK.

minor but i noticed. thanks
Old 03-19-2010, 07:38 PM   #327
Mercado_Negro

You know when a band releases albums, one after the other and all of them are good and awesome but there's a couple of them you consider classics? If sws, Xenakios and Jeffos were that band this build would be one of those classics for me.

This is too damn good!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for these awesome actions and features guys
Old 03-19-2010, 07:47 PM   #328
musicbynumbers

Default Amazing stuff plus a bug :) for jeffos :)

This is great great stuff, i actually for some reason thought we could drag all fx from one fx icon to another but it didn't work, weird oh well now we can easily!

Any way "the bug"

I will make a project example if you can't reproduce it but if i take a project with lots of fx and sends and folders and then try and make a pre fader, post fx send of anymore than 11 tracks the first track is sent multiple times and the last selected tracks don't get sent at all. The amount of times the first track is sent is related to the amount of tracks over 11 i'm trying to send.

If no one else can reproduce it i'll upload a project.

I'm on win 7 64bit BUT with 32bit reaper. thanks
Old 03-19-2010, 09:27 PM   #329
lawrs

Thank you Jeffos. I'm grateful to you eternally. Amazing how powerful Reaper is now with all these extensions!

I would like humbly suggest, for the "select previous" and "select next FX on selected track " , can you please make it cycle back to the 1st after browsing past the last FX ?

For example, if you're using "select next FX on selected track" if I have 4 plugins on the selected track, lets say :

1. ReaEQ
2. ReaGate
3. ReaComp
4. ReaDelay

After cycling through 1 to 4 , it goes back to 1. ReaEQ, and the cycle can start all over again. Same goes for "Select previous FX on selected track".
Do you think this is a good idea?

Currently, when using the "select next FX (cycling)for selected track", it doesn't bring up the FX window? And when using custom macro to combine "select next FX (cycling)for selected track" + "show FX float window" , it's not intuitive because when the FX float window comes up, main action shortcuts do not function anymore, therefore it stops the cycling. The only way "select next FX (cycling)for selected track" works properly currently, is when the docker is shown permanently. Maybe this can be further expanded?

Is there a paypal account that I can return my gratitude to ?

Last edited by lawrs; 03-19-2010 at 09:50 PM.
lawrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 09:47 PM   #330
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrs View Post
Thank you Jeffos. I'm grateful to you eternally. Amazing how powerful Reaper is now with all these extensions!

I would like humbly suggest, for the "select previous" and "select next FX on selected track " , can you please make it cycle back to the 1st after browsing past the last FX ?

For example, if you're using "select next FX on selected track" if I have 4 plugins on the selected track, lets say :

1. ReaEQ
2. ReaGate
3. ReaComp
4. ReaDelay

After cycling through 1 to 4 , it goes back to 1. ReaEQ, and the cycle can start all over again. Same goes for "Select previous FX on selected track".

Is there a paypal account that I can return my gratitude to ?
Unless I'm casting a magical trick here I can do what you need. Select next FX (cycling) for selected track(s) and Select previous FX (cycling) for selected track(s) do cycle endlessly here
Old 03-19-2010, 10:20 PM   #331
lawrs

Here try creating this macro to have a better idea of what I mean.

1. Select next FX (cycling) for selected track
2. Float selected FX window for seleted track

Once the float FX window appears, the main shortcuts don't work anymore because the float window is currently selected. Also can it be set when cycling, only one FX float window is allowed?

Merci Jeffos!
Old 03-19-2010, 10:27 PM   #332
lawrs

Quote:

1. ReaEQ
2. ReaGate
3. ReaComp
4. ReaDelay

It already cycles endlessly dumbass! My bad!

However the other issue still pertains!
Old 03-19-2010, 10:55 PM   #333
Mercado_Negro

Quote:

Here try creating this macro to have a better idea of what I mean.

1. Select next FX (cycling) for selected track
2. Float selected FX window for seleted track

Once the float FX window appears, the main shortcuts don't work anymore because the float window is currently selected. Also can it be set when cycling, only one FX float window is allowed?

Merci Jeffos!
I think Jeffos won't be able to do anything about it. Once a floating window has focus it eats all your keys unless you use a modifier. It's a normal behavior in Reaper. Only one FX window floating? Sure, you can make that happen right now. These actions exist:

Toggle show all floating windows (except mixer and unattached docker)
Toggle show all floating windows (except mixer)
Toggle show all floating windows (except unattached docker)
Toggle show all floating windows

Use one of those actions (the one that fits your workflow better) in the beginning of your macro.
Old 03-20-2010, 03:46 AM   #334
gofer
-blänk-

- Comping - Build lane(s) for selected track(s)

This one is lovely. Can't wait for checking it in the next "serious" comp I do. (ok, none of my music work really is serious nowadays, as I do it only for fun anymore )

Huge thanks, I've got the feeling it rescues Reaper's take system for me.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 06:05 AM   #335
arkima

Thank you SWS!

Auto color is simply amazing! Along with making highlighting and marking Tracks and items an easy and organized feature - I love the added fact that personalizing the way a large visual part of themes (track/mixer/item backgrounds shade/color/tint) looks by default is now a reality (something I was hoping for someday in Reaper).

I'm finding myself using extensions more and more - I'll have to donate soon when I can manage it. To all concerned - another Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
testing and will post thanks guys but here's something crazy..

I thought auto colouring was very cool.

"auto track icons" would be just as insanely cool!

perhaps all you have to do is choose a folder and then it uses that as the relative path
And then as well as colour you can select an icon too, you wouldn't need to show the graphic just maybe the name or path. Nothing fancy.

This could be added on as an additional column to auto item colouring

too insane?
+1 from me mate
arkima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 06:05 AM   #336
lawrs

I figured it out!

Now I can "Cycle FX float window (single window only) for selected track" !!!!!!!

Try this macro guys!!

1. Toggle show all floating windows
2. SWS/S&M : Select next FX (cycling)for selected track
3. SWS/S&M : Float selected FX window for selected track
4. Toggle fullscreen
5. Toggle fullscreen

IT WORKS!!! YES!

This works as an example of the potential og this function being very useful for many, however, it still needs some customizing from Jeffos/Tim/Dev/Justin as the screen flickers due to the "toggle fullscreen" command.

This could not have been achieved without Jeffos's "Select next FX for select track" action . Thank you guys so much.
Old 03-20-2010, 06:27 AM   #337
semiquaver

comping create lanes FTW !!!
semiquaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 06:56 AM   #338
AdamWathan

This comping lanes action is confusing me, it doesn't actually seem to be putting the right takes in the same lane with each other? How does it work exactly?

In this pic, the active takes should be in one lane and the non-active in another. Maybe it's just meant for visual organization and doesn't actually take into account the source file of each take when deciding where to put everything?

AdamWathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 07:11 AM   #339
musicbynumbers

I think it worked when I tried it but will test again

also Adam, Just in case you don't know about this. You can use the "pixels" box in the top right of the snap settings (right click icon) to make it so you don't see as many division lines until you zoom in. so when zoomed out you only see bars but as you zoom in you start to see more division lines. This depends on screen res though.

I only mention it as your screen shot looks a little busy in the vertical lines "division"
Old 03-20-2010, 03:44 PM   #340
captain caveman

The Build Lane(s) for Selected Track(s) doesn't work as expected when a longer take is recorded over a shorter one.

Record 2 takes the 2nd being longer on both ends: the parts of the longer 2nd take that extend beyond the 1st take are put into the first lane when the action is performed when they should be in the 2nd.

edit: Just read the post 2 above this one... it's the same issue.

Last edited by captain caveman; 03-20-2010 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Must read thread before posting, must read thread before posting, must read thread before posting...
captain caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 04:22 PM   #341
sws
Code Monkey

Posted v1.6.2 #3 with bug fixes from Jeffos.
Old 03-20-2010, 05:54 PM   #342
Jeffos
Mortal

hey! thanks to all!! I'm very, very happy to see people posting macros, seeing this feedback, thank you!
I did it in private, but publically, I of course want to thank Tim for: open-sourcing the SWS Extensions,
for the serious kicks he gave me to get started with REAPER's API, for the fastest releases I ever saw, ..
Again, thank you Tim!

I can't reply to everything right now, but I'll do it when I'll have a moment, though about comping:
this is a visual tool! Rather than complicated explanations, I just described a "pig workflow" above, but it's important!
In other words, the situtaion described AdamWathan can't occur if you just record, and stack takes before building "lanes".
No edition in beween. AdamWathan (and captain caveman): in the situation you show, I guess you deleted a take before recording a new one...
[EDIT] ha! ok! 2nd "longer" take: will dig that (we loop record here..)
That said: of course, it happens, that's why I added "Move takes up (cycling)" and "Move takes down (cycling)" to 'fix' that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamWathan View Post
doesn't actually take into account the source file of each take when deciding where to put everything?
The source files won't be enough (eg in-project midi item) but I hear you clear and loud. you want the full stuff right now
it's just some tools to help. But, re-give it a try with that workflow: no edition during the recording session.

@lawrs, LOL thanks for your "body"!! but.. er.. no, thanks I don't take! hey,good news for you i the SWS tracker..

Last edited by Jeffos; 03-21-2010 at 03:01 AM. Reason: ha! ok! 2nd "longer" take
Old 03-21-2010, 05:45 AM   #343
captain caveman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffos View Post
[EDIT] ha! ok! 2nd "longer" take: will dig that (we loop record here..)
That said: of course, it happens, that's why I added "Move takes up (cycling)" and "Move takes down (cycling)" to 'fix' that.
Thanks for taking the time to understand the issue. I have to point out that the Move takes up/down (cycling) doesn't work in this example....

Record one short take, one longer take, one short take, one longer take (assume for this example that the short ones are the same length and the long ones are equal length too).

The "tails" of the longer takes after lanes are created will be Takes 1 and 2, when they should be 2 and 4. You can't move them individually with the Move takes up/down (cycling), so they can never be 2 and 4, only 1&2, 2&3 or 3&4.

I think some logic relating to keeping file names together in lanes for audio would be ideal. It wouldn't help MIDI, but half the battle is won.
captain caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:46 AM   #344
Subz

i have an FR

"options>>" "enable red ruler while recording (SWS)"

i love this!!!

is there any chance it could flash while recording (dark red to light red? or theme color to red?)

not sure if this is possible but if it is it would make this cool feature even more useful IMO

Subz
Subz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 07:35 PM   #345
Sound asleep

love the new changes, really like the hide floating windows, but, i just noticed i could actually use one other option. not sure if it's programmable, but if there could be a 'hide all floating windows except midi editor' that would be really cool also. somehow a way to open FX chain for track that has current midi editor open would be nice also, there's a way to kind of have that done, and that is to use open FX for currently selected track, and then have tracks select on click in track pane, so opening the midi editor will select that track, except i don't like that behaviour in other instances. again, not sure if it's possible but it would be cool to be able to switch from midi editor to VST quickly to make adjustments to the VSTi quickly with just a button press.

real nice update though, the red ruler when recording is slick, and hide floated windows is awesome.
Sound asleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:36 AM   #346
lawrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound asleep View Post
love the new changes, really like the hide floating windows, but, i just noticed i could actually use one other option. not sure if it's programmable, but if there could be a 'hide all floating windows except midi editor' that would be really cool also. somehow a way to open FX chain for track that has current midi editor open would be nice also, there's a way to kind of have that done, and that is to use open FX for currently selected track, and then have tracks select on click in track pane, so opening the midi editor will select that track, except i don't like that behaviour in other instances. again, not sure if it's possible but it would be cool to be able to switch from midi editor to VST quickly to make adjustments to the VSTi quickly with just a button press.

real nice update though, the red ruler when recording is slick, and hide floated windows is awesome.
I noticed that too. Alternatively , I think many would find more appreciation for a toggle "show/hide midi editor" ? I can think of 1000 macros for that! delights!
Old 03-23-2010, 11:00 AM   #347
lawrs

Has anyone figured out the new comping lane takes ? Can someone post a video tutorial on using the new comping lane takes with Jeffos's new addition? That would be appreciated eternally. It would be a real waste if Jeffos spent all that time to create the new features and no one knows how to use it properly like it was meant to ! :X Thank you in advance!
Old 03-23-2010, 02:19 PM   #348
sws
Code Monkey

lawrs, Jeffos himself says something about it here: http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...&postcount=322
Old 03-23-2010, 02:25 PM   #349
norbury brook

Quote:
Has anyone figured out the new comping lane takes ? Can someone post a video tutorial on using the new comping lane takes with Jeffos's new addition? That would be appreciated eternally. It would be a real waste if Jeffos spent all that time to create the new features and no one knows how to use it properly like it was meant to ! :X Thank you in advance!
+1 here too, I'm not sure how this works either.

MC
norbury brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 03:49 PM   #350
semiquaver

Default bug

hi jeffos -action to "float fx 1 window " etc remove the fx over here in Snow Leopard...
Old 03-24-2010, 01:18 AM   #351
Jeffos
Mortal

Quote:
It would be a real waste if Jeffos spent all that time to create the new features and no one knows how to use it properly like it was meant to !
hey lawrs! no prob at all with that, it doesn't work this way: I do things I need and I share those who are not too specific. And that's what I'm doing those days: adapting/transfering things I already did to the SWS open source (when I'll find a moment, the next ones will be for live perfs..)
That said, I *hate* bugs so I'll of course fix them. Also, you guys have different workflows and different ideas that doesn't cost much time. Take lane is a good example..

Take lanes: wait, wait!
I'm somehow doing what captain caveman and AdamWathan suggested. It works here (woo! way much better!) I just have a last issue on how to handle looped takes. I'll also add actions to move active take up/down (and only the active take) which would be usefull for diffrent recording worflows..
I'll try to explain that better at release time.

@sound asleep (and others):
sorry but I can't close windows (well without an ugly win-hack only..)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenK-msx View Post
the slot prompt should probably be 'empty' when it comes up,
currently it has "1" in it which you have to delete before entering the number of choice.
of course, BenK! Done.

@semiquaver
This is the kind of bug I didn't want to hear about: no mac here. Given what the action does I don't see how this could happen.. but..
.. semiquaver can you help me about that (i.e. testing specific builds), if so: PM soon..
[EDIT] semiquaver, just in case.. please, can you first post a RRP showing the issue ? thanks in advance!

Last edited by Jeffos; 03-24-2010 at 02:19 AM. Reason: semiquaver, just in case..
Old 03-24-2010, 03:57 AM   #352
Xplora

Big thanks for the colouring tools. Really puts Reaper in front of the competition for me. LOVE the idea of autocolouring with gradients
Xplora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 06:32 AM   #353
semiquaver

Hi Jeffos - I'd be glad to help out.

No need to post an RPP: simple to reproduce -

New Project > insert Track > view FX browser > add Plugin > close Browser

then run the "float fx window 1 .." action and the plug disappears

it is un-doable - the edit menu shows an option to 'undo "close fx chain config"'

its 3.36pre3 and the latest posted SWS extension (5 I think) cheers
Old 03-24-2010, 08:50 AM   #354
sws
Code Monkey

semiquaver, I can confirm the float FX bug. Jeffos, I'll take a look for you.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:50 AM   #355
BenK-msx

Thanks for that Jeffos. much appreciated
Old 03-24-2010, 11:39 AM   #356
sws
Code Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by semiquaver View Post
hi jeffos -action to "float fx 1 window " etc remove the fx over here in Snow Leopard...
Fixed in latest v1.6.2 #6!
Old 03-24-2010, 11:51 AM   #357
semiquaver

sweet!!
Old 03-24-2010, 12:15 PM   #358
semiquaver

no love with the S&M copy and paste actions though so far.

select track> copy track fx > select new track >paste track fx > no effect

likewise copy track fx > select item > paste fx to selected item
Old 03-24-2010, 12:19 PM   #359
sws
Code Monkey

Thanks, I'll have a look.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:29 PM   #360
Jeffos
Mortal

a 4th thing make make hallucinate: you come back to get the news and someone else did the fix! Tim, THANK YOU SO MUCH. I was annoyed with this one, definitively not happens on win..

Tim, I saw what you did (another good reason for what we discussed ), so it's clear some other things won't work on OSX: I can report that fix everywhere it's needed -right now- let me know..

semiquaver, thanks for the reports and details!