Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 12-14-2016, 01:33 AM   #41
Xaos
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by o_e View Post
This is my last attempt to find someone who can confirm that the choosen .exs file is not preserved in REAPER and my final call for a workaround.

thanks!
I can confirm this. After several successful openings and closings of my sample file, a recent opening had it all revert to default midi tones.

The only thing that was different about how I opened this file was that I usually have several files open at once in project tabs and just have REAPER open them all automatically. This time, I had another project opened, and opened the file from "Recent projects" in the File menu. I doubt that made the difference, but it's the best I can come up with.

I'm wondering if having REAPER store all the resources in the project folder will have it keep the associations. I'm surprised someone hasn't come up with a plugin for this. Another reason to be grateful for Kenny! Gioia Mania!
Old 12-14-2016, 01:43 AM   #42
Xaos

Quote:
This is my last attempt to find someone who can confirm that the choosen .exs file is not preserved in REAPER and my final call for a workaround.

thanks!
One other workaround is to get your midi files setup just right, then render the tracks once you use the AUSampler to apply the instrument.

And there is also Kenny's great video, which works great if latency is not an issue, in which case, you'd have to freeze the tracks anyway.
Old 12-14-2016, 03:46 AM   #43
o_e

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgetty View Post
What about freezing all your AUSAMPLER tracks. Then saving the project. Open it back up and unfreeze those AUSAMPLER tracks? Does that help load back your instruments?
Just tried that, when I freeze and unfreeze after reloading the project than I have both sounds again (the default sine and the loaded .exs instrument, same behaviour as with the presets).
But freezing is a good workaround against forgetting to reload the instrument again, so thank you for the tip!

Last edited by o_e; 12-14-2016 at 04:56 AM.
o_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 11:09 PM   #44
Xaos

Quote:
Just tried that, when I freeze and unfreeze after reloading the project than I have both sounds again (the default sine and the loaded .exs instrument, same behaviour as with the presets).
But freezing is a good workaround against forgetting to reload the instrument again, so thank you for the tip!
Yes, if you unfreeze the track, it will revert to the default midi tone, and you will have to reapply the instrument if you're having that problem. I didn't have that problem when I had several files open in project tabs and would open and close REAPER. When I would restart REAPER, it would open my previous projects, and the instruments were still there. It wasn't until I closed out all the files and re-opened that file (It was just a test) that I lost the instruments. I'm wondering if there is a permissions issue as to where that plugin stores it's preferences. That might be worth looking into. The plugin might be designed to let Logic save the preferences rather than managing them itself. In that case, this might be something that the REAPER devs could implement. It seems like it would be a simple thing to code. Might be a good candidate for a feature request.

I think Kenny's method of using Logic as a sound module is still your best bet, because Apple has done a fantastic job of applying FX to the instruments to make them sound just like the real thing, and if you use his method, you get all of the FX bus tracks as well.

One thing that comes to mind, though, is why do you close REAPER? I'll leave it open for weeks with several files open and just put my Mac to sleep. That's one reason I didn't run into this issue for so long. I just leave the files open.
Old 01-06-2017, 01:42 PM   #45
uncle808us

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordjc11 View Post
Ok I now have the Logic instrument that I want within AUSampler on a track. When I save my Reaper project, close Reaper, and then re-open the project - the instrument is not saved and AUSampler just has the default instrument. How can get Reaper to save the instrument that I chose, to stick? I have had it work with a coupoe of instruments but don't how that happened to work one time.
Thanks.
I'm having this same problem. And I can not figure it out. I would like to share projects between My home and studio but this problem is holding me back from doing so.
uncle808us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 02:06 AM   #46
mg.man

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgetty View Post
I mostly grab the presets I saved in FX Reaper. But, if I do decide to grab an exs instrument from Logic's folder, it saves as normal.

What about freezing all your AUSAMPLER tracks. Then saving the project. Open it back up and unfreeze those AUSAMPLER tracks? Does that help load back your instruments?
Resurrecting this old thread as I've hit the same issue...

To answer the question re. Freezing/un-Freezing... No, that does not work - same result, AUSampler loads, and it *seems* to remember the Instrument (see attached), but the 'sound' is the default sine wave (or no sound at all).

When first loaded (with no or 'sine' sound), opening the editor in AUSampler shows that no individual samples have been loaded - see attachment (2). Manually loading the EXS Instrument again, sorts everything out. The expected sounds play and the individual samples are also linked - see attachment (3).

I'm using OSX El Capitan (10.11.6 - can't go newer as my Mac is too old). I see someone above reported it working correctly with OSX 10.12? Can anyone else try this save/re-load? Ideally, with 10.11 as well?? My guess is this is an AUSampler bug... *but* it's weird that it does remember the Instrument name... just fails to load the samples... :-|
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AUSampler grab.jpg (18.5 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg AUSampler grab (2).jpg (31.0 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg AUSampler grab (3).jpg (34.1 KB, 143 views)
mg.man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 02:43 AM   #47
mg.man

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg.man View Post
Resurrecting this old thread as I've hit the same issue...
A couple of updates in case anyone comes across this as well...

I managed to update my Mac (MacBook Pro 4,1) to Mojave... same issue... so it seems to be an AUSampler issue not MacOS...

Further, even when I re-loaded AUSampler with the correct Instrument/Samples I was also having audio issues - glitches / pops / etc... So... I've now given up on AUSampler altogether and am using TX16Wx... which loads EXS instruments fine, allows me to relocate the samples (which AUSampler would not do) and also preserves the Instument/Samples btwn Reaper sessions. It also eliminated the audio issues...
mg.man is offline   Reply With Quote