Old 03-15-2024, 11:06 AM   #1
jkooks
Human being with feelings

Default Getting Project from MediaItem or MediaTrack

Hey all!

Is there any way to get the ReaProject object that a respective track or media item exist in? I know that the parameter "P_PROJECT" exists for MediaTracks but that just gives a number value, and to the best of my knowledge I don't know how to associate that with a ReaProject. Anyone know of a way to get this information from the track or item? Or do I just have to check every project's tracks/items to see if the track or item are in it, then break early when the track/item is found?

Last edited by jkooks; 03-15-2024 at 12:04 PM.
jkooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 12:11 PM   #2
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkooks View Post
Hey all!

Is there any way to get the ReaProject object that a respective track or media item exist in? I know that the parameter "P_PROJECT" exists for MediaTracks but that just gives a number value, and to the best of my knowledge I don't know how to associate that with a ReaProject. Anyone know of a way to get this information from the track or item? Or do I just have to check every project's tracks/items to see if the track or item are in it, then break early when the track/item is found?
Looking at the API, GetMediaTrackInfo_Value(track, "P_PROJECT") should return (a pointer to, hence the "P") the ReaProject object. Are you saying that this is not the case?
Old 03-15-2024, 04:44 PM   #3
jkooks

I don't believe it does - in Lua, for example, it returns a number value and not a userdata type. Wasn't sure if there was an extra step I had to do to get the appropriate ReaProject object that was associated with the number value.
Old 03-15-2024, 04:56 PM   #4
Meo-Ada Mespotine

Quote:
I don't believe it does - in Lua, for example, it returns a number value and not a userdata type. Wasn't sure if there was an extra step I had to do to get the appropriate ReaProject object that was associated with the number value.
Just use the returned number as ReaProject-parameter.
For instance, the following code gets the project of the first track and writes a text into the project's notes:

Code:
A,B,C=reaper.GetMediaTrackInfo_Value(reaper.GetTrack(0,0), "P_PROJECT")

reaper.GetSetProjectNotes(B, true, "Set this to the notes")
Never noticed this, btw but since the function returns a number all the time it probably is logical that it uses a number to describe the project.
Though I don't know, how the number is created. It's not the opened project-tab so it must be something else.

At least it looks like from my tests...

On vacation for the time being...
Meo-Ada Mespotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 06:25 PM   #5
jkooks

Oh, interesting, I will check that out then! I tried to get the actual ReaProject using EnumProjects and passing the number as the index, but as I expected it didn't actually work like that and just returned an empty ReaProject. I will test just passing the number to each function by itself and see how that works.
Old 03-15-2024, 06:30 PM   #6
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meo-Ada Mespotine View Post
Though I don't know, how the number is created. It's not the opened project-tab so it must be something else.
It's the same memory location, just either in decimal or hex.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 11:24 AM   #7
jkooks

Curious as to why there is no similar value for media items and only tracks. I assume it is because it is easy enough to write a function that grabs the track for the item and gets the project from the track, but curious if there is a deeper technical reason why items don't have project associations (or at least exposed ones).
Old 03-16-2024, 12:07 PM   #8
Fabian

Quote:
Curious as to why there is no similar value for media items and only tracks. I assume it is because it is easy enough to write a function that grabs the track for the item and gets the project from the track, but curious if there is a deeper technical reason why items don't have project associations (or at least exposed ones).
You can write your own function:
Code:
local function ItemToProject(item)
    local mediatrack = reaper.GetMediaItem_Track(tem)
    return reaper.GetMediaTrackInfo_Value(mediatrack, "P_PROJECT")
end
I do not see much use in the API having a specific function for this two-line code.