Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 03-11-2019, 07:52 AM   #1
Quambo
Human being with feelings

Default Anyone have opinions on Muslady/Freeboss interface?

Hi. I'm shopping for a new USB audio interface and trying to find something with a small footprint that can run off only USB power, has 2 phantom-powered XLR ports, and at least 1 stereo input for the keyboard, preferably on a 3rd input of at least 3.

Pretty much all I have found is missing one of these. If it is big enough, it usually requires AC power.

I was pretty much set on the Yamaha AG06

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

But then saw that only one XLR channel has phantom power. That's the only thing keeping me from getting that. I want to do stereo mic'ing.

The only interface I've found with the specs and form-factor that I want is this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...NUXPN5OP&psc=1

Obviously, I have reservations about purchasing this, since there are very few reviews across the whole net, and it has to come from China. It seems to be a knockoff (I've also seen it branded as Freeboss on a youtube video.)

So I wonder if there is something likely low quality about it.
Quambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 07:06 AM   #2
martifingers

I assume you have seen this.
https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/yamaha-ag06-ag03

SOS are usually reliable IME.
martifingers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 08:57 AM   #3
Quambo

Yup. The only drawback is that it only has phantom power for one of the two mic channels.

Cool story: I used to use a stereo mixer to record with 2 condenser mics, and that's something I want to get back into. Something fun was pointing two mics out of two different windows of a house and hard pan them. You get some reallly cool detail with sensitive mics.

That, and mic'ing vocals with 2 different EQs, and physically moving between the mics. One clear and deep, and the other with only mids. Then pan one a little and add some reverb to the clear one, and it is a really 3-dimensional sound.

So that's why I want the two powered mic channels. The USB-power option would let me take it more places.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:14 AM   #4
cyrano

USB power is only 2,5 W. Not much to run 2 preamps, ADDA, some LEDs and an up-converter for phantom power.

Result: some mics might not work with the phantom power provided. Like my AKG C451's on my Sound Devices USB Pre...
Old 03-12-2019, 09:17 AM   #5
cyrano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quambo View Post
The only interface I've found with the specs and form-factor that I want is this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...NUXPN5OP&psc=1

Obviously, I have reservations about purchasing this, since there are very few reviews across the whole net, and it has to come from China. It seems to be a knockoff (I've also seen it branded as Freeboss on a youtube video.)

So I wonder if there is something likely low quality about it.
The company's website isn't even functioning properly...

https://www.muslady.com/
Old 03-12-2019, 09:44 AM   #6
Fergler

It's Amazon, so if it doesn't work properly you can return it very easily and for free.

I've returned two products now with no hassle. So it's worth a shot.
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 07:00 AM   #7
Quambo

Good points made here.

In case anyone wanted to know, I ended up finding something awesome that should work a lot better for field recordings.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This thing runs off batteries, a power bank, USB, or AC, is a full audio interface with 2 phantom powered XLR inputs, and (90% sure) a stereo input in the auxiliary microphone. But it doesn't require a laptop or anything else to record on. It supposedly has very silent preamps, and the integrated recorder uses a 24 bit converter.

There's conflicting info about whether all 4 channels can be used in interface mode. I'll have to find out.

Other than that, this thing opens up a bunch of possibilities for mobile recording, and now I don't have to have a mixer and a separate recorder or laptop, and it could even serve as an interface in a pinch.

Edit: it was less than $200 when I ordered it.

Last edited by Quambo; 03-26-2019 at 07:41 AM.
Old 04-04-2019, 05:37 AM   #8
zeekat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quambo View Post
Cool story: I used to use a stereo mixer to record with 2 condenser mics, and that's something I want to get back into. Something fun was pointing two mics out of two different windows of a house and hard pan them. You get some reallly cool detail with sensitive mics.
In headphones it must give excellent illusion of having a massive noggin.
Old 04-04-2019, 08:21 AM   #9
Quambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekat View Post
In headphones it must give excellent illusion of having a massive noggin.
Lol yeah I guess it would. With my new setup I rigged up, it's on a single tripod more like I've seen people doing, with the mics not head-spaced, but closer, and I plan to try it with different spacing.

But I wonder if having a large separation would make it sound like you can easily tell how far away things are. I have a VR headset, and making your in-game eyes spaced further apart makes everything appear small, and distances become smaller and easier to judge.

Last edited by Quambo; 04-05-2019 at 12:33 PM.
Old 04-07-2019, 12:16 PM   #10
jack1995

Default thanks

Hi, Thanks for sharing this post helpful to me and finally I came up with the questions that were in my mind.

اسباب کشی و حمل اثاثیه منزل یکی از سخت ترین کارهایی است که می تواند کار سخت و طاقت فرسایی باشد در همین رستا باربری و اتوبار سپند بار دارای شعباتی در تهران را ایجاد کرده است که می توانید از این شرکت ها استفاده کنید
باربری دهکده المپیک
باربری تجریش
باربری نیاوران
باربری فرمانیه
باربری ولنجک

Last edited by jack1995; 05-09-2019 at 10:41 AM.
jack1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 12:13 AM   #11
ivansc

FWIW I have an Olympus L14 which is way cheaper than the zoom and does everything the zoom does in stereo with three built-in mics (L R C) and of course all the other gubbins. Sadly doesnt do four tracks but then I dont ever have a need for that.

Standard SD cards, battery use is great, all the accessories you could ever need either included or available cheaply.

P.S. They prolly have a newer version out by now. Be surprised it if wasnt even better.