Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 06-07-2006, 01:35 AM   #1
winbe
Human being with feelings

Default Please help... basic simple MIDI loops !!

Hello,

I have posted my problem several times, but it really drives me crazy.

How do you guys manage to simply loop a midi clip ?
Ok I can do it by adjusting this infamous "green bar" in the midi editor. I want 4 bars (how exotic I am !), so I set set the thing to exactly 5.01.00. Works fine.

(by the way, I thought the last figures where the "tick count" within the beat, so with 120 ticks by beat, I would get values similar to 1.01.30, 1.01.60 ... but Reaper counts in.. percent, so it is 1.01.25, 1.01.50, quite disturbing for me)

Works fine, yes, until I reload my project. Then the green bar is exactly set to... 4.04.99.. why, why ? I reproduce it everytime !

And the looping is incorrect...

Everything else in Reaper in so enjoyable, but this bug makes it totally unusable for me, MIDI user. Also, I would appreciate to simply be able to change velocity globally for a track, by a certain amount, with a global "+/- velocity" setting, or by editing the velocities of all the events.
winbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 04:40 AM   #2
malcolmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by winbe
How do you guys manage to simply loop a midi clip ?
Ok I can do it by adjusting this infamous "green bar" in the midi editor. I want 4 bars (how exotic I am !), so I set set the thing to exactly 5.01.00. Works fine.

(by the way, I thought the last figures where the "tick count" within the beat, so with 120 ticks by beat, I would get values similar to 1.01.30, 1.01.60 ... but Reaper counts in.. percent, so it is 1.01.25, 1.01.50, quite disturbing for me)

Works fine, yes, until I reload my project. Then the green bar is exactly set to... 4.04.99.. why, why ? I reproduce it everytime !
Hi Winbe,

I am unable to reproduce the bug you describe on my system. What operating system are you using? What Tempo do you have the Project set to?

Quote:
Everything else in Reaper in so enjoyable, but this bug makes it totally unusable for me, MIDI user. Also, I would appreciate to simply be able to change velocity globally for a track, by a certain amount, with a global "+/- velocity" setting, or by editing the velocities of all the events.
REAPER is in development, which means, it's in development. At the moment resources are focused on the audio side of REAPER, so it may take some time before MIDI is to the standard that you're probably used to in other applications, but it will be developed. Probably not within the next 24 hours, but eventually.

Cheers,

Malcolm.
malcolmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 05:12 AM   #3
winbe

Hi Malcolm,

I am using two XPs, I mean I reproduce the problem on two machines. Tempo was set to 98.

I was about to send the problematic mid file on a web site, but I have what we call here the "demo effect", meaning that I am not totally unable to reproduce the problem.

In fact this mid files were exported from Sonar to start with. Then I modified them in Reaper, and I had the problem. Since your post I reopened my mid file alone in a project, the green bar was set at 4.04.99, I moved it to the correct position, 5.01.00, and since then, it seems things work.

I know that MIDI is in its early devt stage in Reaper and that the focus is audio rather than MIDI, for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmj
Hi Winbe,

I am unable to reproduce the bug you describe on my system. What operating system are you using? What Tempo do you have the Project set to?

REAPER is in development, which means, it's in development. At the moment resources are focused on the audio side of REAPER, so it may take some time before MIDI is to the standard that you're probably used to in other applications, but it will be developed. Probably not within the next 24 hours, but eventually.

Cheers,

Malcolm.
Old 06-07-2006, 05:16 AM   #4
malcolmj

Quote:
In fact this mid files were exported from Sonar to start with. Then I modified them in Reaper, and I had the problem. Since your post I reopened my mid file alone in a project, the green bar was set at 4.04.99, I moved it to the correct position, 5.01.00, and since then, it seems things work.
Thanks for the extra information. I was trying to reproduce the bug with a file created from scratch in REAPER. Perhaps there is a problem with REAPER reading Sonar MIDI files. It might help Justin to track down the problem if you can post an example of a simple Sonar MIDI file with an explanation of what information the file should contain.

Cheers,

Malcolm.
malcolmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 08:24 AM   #5
winbe

Default more MIDI questions

if only I knew what a midi file is supposed to contain
For example: can somebody tell me where is stored the length of a midi clip ?

For audio, I understand that you can easily add length by simply adding silence. I know how to add midi silence, but this is a trick (adding a note with a very small velocity).

Another question is: where is the "number of ticks per beat" info stored ? It seems it is stored in the mid file, because reaper displays this info. (120 ticks in my example). But I would like to be able to change this info. I like 120 because it is enough precision for me, and I am used to the values to get a precise timing.

It seems Reaper works with percentages instead of ticks, but this is just an assumption.

Last question (that I already ask): the "note information" menu entry is there, but greyed. So I am wondering: is this supposed to work, or is this a feature that is not coded yet ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmj
if you can post an example of a simple Sonar MIDI file with an explanation of what information the file should contain.