Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 09-03-2017, 01:40 AM   #41
bezusheist
Human being with feelings

check this out...an illustration of the effects of heavy compression/limiting to ISP...
the "bottom" (right) channel is a track of pink noise (w/HPF @ 20Hz)
the "top" (left) channel is the same track of pink noise, only it has been limited to -6 dBFS, then gained back up to 0 dBFS.

(ISP are shown in red) (edit:that would be a cool feature to have with Reaper's sinc waveform view...)

sample peak levels remain the same, but i gained +4 dB RMS and about +1.6 dB "True Peak" by (hard) limiting.

*note the bottom waveform has the same sample peak and true peak values...

Last edited by bezusheist; 09-03-2017 at 01:52 AM.
bezusheist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 08:16 AM   #42
DarkStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Hi DS, I think you missed where I mentioned that the FX meters showed the same as reaper.
No, I saw that. But I could not see why a problem in the audio interface would cause the track levels in Reaper or the plug-ins to change on playback.

Quote:
Did you try the Batch Convert, to make them "compatible" with your project / interface.
Quote:
I'm sorry DS, I'm not understanding what you're asking here?
I was suggesting making the mixed tracks 24-bit / 44,100Hz .wav files, to rule out bit-depth / samplerate differences.
Old 09-03-2017, 02:54 PM   #43
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
No, I saw that. But I could not see why a problem in the audio interface would cause the track levels in Reaper or the plug-ins to change on playback.

I was suggesting making the mixed tracks 24-bit / 44,100Hz .wav files, to rule out bit-depth / samplerate differences.
Okay, thanks DS, the sample rates and bit-depth were exactly the same for both the project and the reference, so there was no problem there.

A project/interface sample rate mismatch definitely has it's problems. What's strange is that loading a particular project in a 2nd project tab would fix it until I closed and reopened the main project. Also there were times it would just start working. And I wonder what the click I heard was when I opened that one project in another project tab, and what significance it had.

I still had problems today when I opened Reaper, the interface was back at 48K. I guess I'm going to have to check it every time I open Reaper.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 03:29 PM   #44
Pet

Quote:
...the interface was back at 48K. I guess I'm going to have to check it every time I open Reaper.
Just a thought: do you have any other software installed that switches the interface back to 48K?

The reason I ask is that I had IKMultimedia ARC installed some years ago and this was the culprit. I had no access to my interface any more, not even in soundcard control panel. Every time I started a programm that uses the soundcard, ARC jumped in in the background without any message. It took my a lot of time to find this out.

As said, just a thought...
Old 09-03-2017, 03:54 PM   #45
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pet View Post
Just a thought: do you have any other software installed that switches the interface back to 48K?

The reason I ask is that I had IKMultimedia ARC installed some years ago and this was the culprit. I had no access to my interface any more, not even in soundcard control panel. Every time I started a programm that uses the soundcard, ARC jumped in in the background without any message. It took my a lot of time to find this out.

As said, just a thought...
Thanks Pet, no, there's no other software running that would have anything to do with that.

Aah, wait a minute I just thought of something, I've got windows setup to use my Audio 6 interface. I'll have to check that out when I get done with Reaper today. That could be it.
Old 09-04-2017, 04:17 AM   #46
DarkStar

... Anyway, I would like to read a comment from Justin / schwa too.
Old 09-04-2017, 08:16 AM   #47
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
... Anyway, I would like to read a comment from Justin / schwa too.
Hi again DS, yeah, because as far as I know, all my other tracks worked fine, why only that reference track?

Incidentally, I did check my windows playback settings and in "Properties>Advanced" it does have a setting for "Default Format", and it was set to 24bit 48K. I set it to 24bit 41K so we'll see.

I don't understand how that can be it, that's kind of a disastrous setting. If it is, that could interfere with all kinds of situations.
Old 09-04-2017, 12:01 PM   #48
MikComposer

Hi Tod,

Tried your file. At 44.1 pick is steady at -0.6db, but at 48 it goes up to +1.8db

I got to say it again here, that reaper is a amalgamat of many good ideas badly put together, not working as intended. //Why are they working on automation items, if the rest needs way more work? Can't build castles on bad fundament. That's why marxism always fails in the end.

I often have doubts regarding if what I hear in reaper is what I'm going to get. Mp3 exports sounds different still. Exporting to mp3 from cubase always gives you what you hear in the mix. One of those many hidden issues of reaper.

Last edited by MikComposer; 09-04-2017 at 12:42 PM.
MikComposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 03:45 PM   #49
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikComposer View Post
Hi Tod,

Tried your file. At 44.1 pick is steady at -0.6db, but at 48 it goes up to +1.8db

I got to say it again here, that reaper is a amalgamat of many good ideas badly put together, not working as intended. //Why are they working on automation items, if the rest needs way more work? Can't build castles on bad fundament. That's why marxism always fails in the end.

I often have doubts regarding if what I hear in reaper is what I'm going to get. Mp3 exports sounds different still. Exporting to mp3 from cubase always gives you what you hear in the mix. One of those many hidden issues of reaper.
Hi Mik, good to see you my friend, I haven't seen you for a while.

Personally I'm not going to be too quick here on pointing a finger in any direction, I've been using Reaper for the last 7 years and I don't have a clue how other commercial DAWs are handling this. It could be that the setup that caused this problem could happen in all other DAWs, and/or there's a perfectly good logical explanation to it.

I'm just not that familiar with some of this stuff, and lets face it, things are getting more sophisticated all the time. I started seriously recording digital audio in 1993. It was a digidesign workstation and, heh heh, I wish I had the money back that I paid for that, although I used it very heavily and got my money worth from it.

In the latter 1900s, I started using software more similar to what we are using now. I had a special love for Cakewalk so I stayed with them until Sonar 4, when I switched to Reaper, that's when Cakewalk ceased to be Cakewalk.

What I'm getting at is that, during most of that process, I was using 41K at 16bit, period. With my old XP which wasn't connected to the net, I had an interface setup with 24 inputs of mic/line inputs, and there was no problem with setting the sample rates or bits. I had my XP Sonar, along with my interfaces, set up for 41K-16bit and never worried about it or had any problems. Things just didn't seem to be that fussy.

Now days, DAWs have to be able to handle so much more, and in turn, there's so much more the user needs to know. Although I've been a computer code writer since back in the 80s (mostly as a hobby, but with some quite serious stuff too, but it was strictly for myself and my friends), I haven't tried to keep up with all the technical stuff. I had my clients and just didn't have time.

Concerning mp3s, I don't remember having any problems with them. When I'm finished with a song, I usually mix it down at 24-bit, but will also mix an mp3 to go on the net. When I load them back into Reaper, they sound just as they should, and when I put the mp3 on the net, it sounds just like I expect it too.

It would be nice to know for sure what the problems are with this situation, and if indeed there should be any.