Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 10-11-2018, 11:44 AM   #1
thunderbroom
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper crashes when I attempt to open AKAI VIP in a session?

First, here's my setup:

Windows 10 [Intel i7-8700K @3.7GHz; 16GB DDR4 RAM]
Reaper 5.96
AKAI Advance61 controller (via VIP Controller Software)
Kontakt KOMPLETE 11

The scenario:

I open a session; select a track; select the FX window to choose a VIP instance to control Kontakt.

VIP Window opens; I select the instrument (Kontakt) and double-click the instrument settings from the left menu column. Then, VIP and Reaper both close immediately. No error message, nothing. Just closes.

I've installed, and reinstalled Reaper, the VIP software, and all the Komplete files. And this all worked when I was still on Windows 7, following all the same installation directions and such.

So I'm confused and frustrated that I can't seem to figure this out. I have posted on the AKAI community forums, but I've had such great luck here, I thought someone in the Reaper community must have experience something similar. I've done some forum searches but have found nothing concrete to help. Thank you all in advance for any suggestions or ideas you might offer.
thunderbroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 02:29 AM   #2
pryere

I had that same model. I really wanted it to work, I tried everything, it refused to play nicely after 10 days of hassle.
I returned it and went with NI.It is not a perfect system but it behaves itself.
Dont waste any more of your time with this flaky, disappointing software.
pryere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:40 AM   #3
thunderbroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by pryere View Post
I had that same model. I really wanted it to work, I tried everything, it refused to play nicely after 10 days of hassle.
I returned it and went with NI.It is not a perfect system but it behaves itself.
Dont waste any more of your time with this flaky, disappointing software.
I hear what you're saying. I've had the AKAI and the software for a couple of years, and as I mentioned, it worked flawlessly in Windows 7. I guess my main concern about moving to the NI controller is that it isn't going to be able to be as flexible working with any of my non-NI instruments and synths. What's your experience with that?
Old 10-13-2018, 10:06 PM   #4
pryere

All of my non NI stuff works with no problems at all. I have more 3rd party stuff than I do NI.
There was a recent update that now lets you stack FX.
I did have some folder location problems when installing but they were easily fixed.
I have been using it almost daily for over a year and I can rely on it. No crashes or freezes at all.

The Nektar Panorama is also a popular choice and is definitely worth a look if you haven't already.
If the NI had not worked so well, that would have been next on my list.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-14-2018, 01:18 PM   #5
thunderbroom

Quote:
All of my non NI stuff works with no problems at all. I have more 3rd party stuff than I do NI.
There was a recent update that now lets you stack FX.
I did have some folder location problems when installing but they were easily fixed.
I have been using it almost daily for over a year and I can rely on it. No crashes or freezes at all.

The Nektar Panorama is also a popular choice and is definitely worth a look if you haven't already.
If the NI had not worked so well, that would have been next on my list.

Hope this helps.
Well, I've had the AKAI board for a couple of years now and, through Windows 7 it worked perfectly. However, since this original posting, I've been able to sort out the issue and get it working perfectly now. The issue I found was selecting "Open a new virtual instrument" instead of simply adding VIP as a plugin on the track.
Old 10-31-2018, 04:35 AM   #6
pryere

Well done, I am pleased you got it working.
I cant remember if I used the "Open a new virtual instrument" option" but it is something I use often.
Keep us posted of any problems with updates and reliability, there are a lot of people that would like to know about it.
I'm sure your familiar with the Akai forums, have you posted your good news over there?
Old 10-31-2018, 08:15 AM   #7
thunderbroom

Quote:
Well done, I am pleased you got it working.
I cant remember if I used the "Open a new virtual instrument" option" but it is something I use often.
Keep us posted of any problems with updates and reliability, there are a lot of people that would like to know about it.
I'm sure your familiar with the Akai forums, have you posted your good news over there?
Thanks, and yes, I did post on the AKAI forum too. However, strangely there, no one responded to my initial post, nor to my subsequent posts either. But so far so good.