Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 03-15-2017, 06:47 PM   #1
RDBOIS
Banned

Default How can I WRITE a VST output parameter as an envelope if...?

Greetings.

How can I WRITE a VST output parameter as an envelope if...?

Ok, I've done this before with some VSTs that have a dedicated/programmed output parameter (e.g. GainRider writes automation data to the DAW via the "CurrentGain" envelope). All you need to do is select WRITE and check the box of the VST output "CurrentGain" and it will print what is coming out of the VST.

BUT... What IF I wanted to do this with a VST plugin that does not have a dedicated output signal designed to be easily written to a DAW?

Say, for example, if I wanted to have the GAIN REDUCTION data of ReaCOMP printed to an envelope. Or any other output data of a VST...

See, in the case of having the gain reduction output of ReaCOMP as an envelope I could, 1) see what is going on in great details, 2) copy paste this envelope to the volume envelope and turn off ReaCOMP, and even modify the reduction of volume to my own specifications.

I know there has to be a way to do this, but just haven't figured it out yet.

Can anyone please share how they print out VST data to envelops?

And perhaps why?

Thanks
RDBOIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 06:52 PM   #2
Lokasenna
Human being with feelings

If it's not exposed as a parameter, you can't do it.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:44 PM   #3
ashcat_lt
Human being with feelings

With ReaComp you can probably get close but you need a couple other plugs.

If you run a DC signal into the main inputs, and the signal you want to "compress" to the aux inputs - basically sidechaining the DC from the actual audio track - then the output will basically describe what you're shooting for.

Now to map that to an envelope, you need a plugin that takes the audio input and wiggles a slider. It's pretty simple to do in JS. Then you can write that automation and I guess copy it to whatever envelope you actually want it on or whatever.

You probably don't want to send that DC signal to your speakers, so be careful about your routing!

All that said, I recently built a JS compressor that works about exactly like ReaComp but includes an "audio" signal that describes the gain reduction on a set of aux outputs. Basically does what I described above except you don't really need the separate DC plug or sidechain routing. You then would use the same type of "audio>parameter" plug, or just a basic ring modulator that multiplies the CV by the actual audio, or whatever.

Other plugs might be a bit more complicated, but for dynamic processors with sidechains, it's relatively simple.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 12:09 AM   #4
RDBOIS
Banned

Interesting.

Thanks for sharing that solution. Not sure I can implement it, but I can give it a go.

On a side note I just found another tool that has a dedicated output for printing/writing:

dpMeter II by TBProAudio 2017

"dpMeter II offers following features:

• click-free 64-bit internal processing
• measurement modes: RMS/EBU R128
• multi channel metering: 2-6 RMS channels, 2.0 stereo, 4.0, 4.1 and 5.1 surround
• RMS: integrated, momentary, peak and true peak
• EBU R128: integrated, momentary, short term, true pack and loudness range
• true peak measurement based on ITU 1770
• ITU1170/A/B/C/M-weighting filter
• continuous/synced measurement
• record metering results as automation data
• large and accurate live meters
• adjustable pre-gain
• manual loudness/peak/TP match with given reference level
• loudness offset mode

6.3 Autom.
Disable/enable writing of automation data

Will try it out and see how it can be used in my workflow.
RDBOIS is offline   Reply With Quote