Old 06-28-2010, 03:13 PM   #1
-R-
Human being with feelings

Default Please help with my kontakt template

Ok, I'm gonna try to make it short.

I had my Kontakt template well set. However, as I want to use my Novation controller more efficiently, the number of tracks was annoying. I had one track for the midi data of each instruments, and tracks for the different outputs, in order to put different effets, etc.. for differents instruments.
Then I tried, for each Kontakt instrument, to have the midi data and the ouput on one single track. Here is what I came up with, hope you can find the mistake:

One main track on wich the Kontakt plugin sits. It has 20 track channels. The next track is routed as followed:
- Send to the main track. No audio. Midi: all to channel 1.
- Receive from main track. No midi. Audio: 1/2 to 1/2.

just to make it clear, the next track is routed as followed:
- Send to the main track. No audio. Midi: all to channel 2.
- Receive from main track. No midi. Audio: 3/4 to 1/2.

Only half of this works. It sends the midi correctly, but volume changes and fx on the other tracks has no effect on the instrument.

In Kontakt, I have many outputs. For convenience, I'd like to have one for each instrument. First output use kontakt's output 1 and 2, second output uses K.'s output 3/4 etc..
If I untick Master/parent send of the main track, no sound anymore. I have a routing problem but the way I set it up seems totally logical to me.

I attached the template in case you want to check it. Doooh! It's called KontaktPerfect...

Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: rtracktemplate KONTAKTPERFECT.RTrackTemplate (14.3 KB, 180 views)
-R- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 03:52 PM   #2
Tod

I don't have K4 so I of course can't see the VSTi. However the main K4 track looks good as far as the routing goes except on the Sends to the outputs, I would switch the Midi to "Midi: None".

The part that don't look right is the Routing for the outputs themselves. You've got the sends to send to the Midi tracks and from my litmited experiece with Reaper this send shouldn't be there. In other wards delete it. The receives are okay, don't delete them however you might want to change the "Midi: All => All" to "Midi: None".

Also I usually don't have the "Masert/Parent" checked on the main VSTi track but not sure if it makes a difference. I don't use the main VSTi tracks as a Parent but that's my way of doing things.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 04:44 PM   #3
-R-

Thanks for the super fast reply.

Actually, what I want to do is to use the same track to send the midi to kontakt and to receive audio from it. That way I could, on a single track, Put my midi data ( with mouse, keyboard or whatever ) and set level and fx for the same instrument. That is why I have sends and receive.
The sends works ok. I put my midi data and it sends it only to the instrument it is supposed to. But apparently it doesn't get audio back from Kontakt. This is the weak thing here.

Thanks again
-R- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 05:09 PM   #4
Tod

Okay -R-, I know there are a lot of Reaper users who do put their midi and audio tracks together and I've never done that. Actually I don't have a clue how that works or why you would want to do it that way but I know there must be a reason unbeknowist to me.

I don't have K4, but i do have K2 (K4 is on it's way) and I don't have any problems with that as far as sending and receiving. However my midi and audio tracks are separate.

Maybe try separateing them to see what happens. Or click off the "Master/Parent" on the main K4 track although I dobt that will help.

Good luck, I hope you get it figured out.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 05:27 PM   #5
chrisharbin

R,

are you trying to simply eliminate the "midi" tracks and have midi/audio on one track? If so, I'm pretty sure you can't.
chrisharbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:52 PM   #6
stratman

I don't have time to check your post at the moment, so I'll just quickly post a link below, which might help. In particular see post 10 at the link below. Hopefully I'm not missing the point.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...edback+kontakt

To combine midi and audio on the same track I've had to enable feedback routing (FBR). But I've since found out it's not a good idea to use FBR (as explained in post 10 in the link above) so now I always use separate tracks for the midi send and audio return.

Pete
stratman is offline   Reply With Quote