Old 07-09-2022, 10:11 AM   #41
odedd
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netchicks View Post
Reaper defaults to the /Reaper/Render directory when making a new project.
Just leave this setting empty, and it will always default to the project folder.

Then you can just specify a subfolder in the "directory" field of your usual render preset.

In mine I just write "Bounces" and so I get a subfolder in whatever project I have called "Bounces" with all renders inside.

Stem manager allows you to define a subfolder within that subfolder for each render group, but still - you should probably start off with the settings I just described, regardless of whether you use the script or not.
odedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 01:13 AM   #42
odedd

Allright, so I spent the last few days crushing a lot of bugs and adding new functionality with great help from everybody here, and especially thommazk which turned out to be a great bug finder! Thanks man!

Everything should be working much smoother now. If you do find some quirks, let me know!

Here are some things I'm definitely planning on adding (hopefully this week):
  • Overwrite files without asking (optional)
  • Allow for more than 9 render groups - I'll just make it user defineable up to 99
  • Hide tracks that are hidden in the TCP
  • Still thinking about an elegant way (UI wise) of disabling FX on specfic tracks on a stem by stem basis - pretty optimistic but it might require some work to get done right

Once those are in and working smoothly I'll make an video covering all the features in depth.

In the meantime, please let me know if there's anything else you'd like to see.

Last edited by odedd; 07-10-2022 at 09:48 AM.
Old 07-10-2022, 07:58 AM   #43
dadada

Quote:
Originally Posted by odedd View Post
I'm planning on adding hidden tracks support in the coming week. Sounds like a good default behaviour to have it sync to the hidden/visible state of the TCP.
It's a little tricky with their folder depth, but it's manageable.
Perfect. Yes, I think syncing the visible state of TCP with your script makes a lot of sense. I'll stay tuned for the update and thanks again for coming up with the Stem Manager, soooo helpful!
dadada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 01:52 PM   #44
odedd

Quote:
  • Overwrite files without asking (optional)
  • Hide tracks that are hidden in the TCP
Version 0.5.0 live now with these two!
Old 07-21-2022, 09:12 AM   #45
hans

Thanks for this script!
hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 03:10 PM   #46
dahya

Oh wow, this script is amazing ! I've only tested it a little bit, but it seems like you've already thought of most of the possible uses for it.

My only issue with this at the moment, is that when I set the folder and names for the stems, it reflects this change in the Reaper 'Render to File' Filename box. I usually have this set to "Project Name_Project No." etc, so would need to change it back to this after rendering any stems.

Is there anyway that I can prevent this, or can it restore the previous Filename that was set?
dahya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 11:01 PM   #47
odedd

Thank you dahya and hans!

Quote:
Is there anyway that I can prevent this, or can it restore the previous Filename that was set?
That's a great point. I'll just restore the name when rendering is done.
I'll make the update soon and give a heads up here.
Thanks!
Old 07-25-2022, 02:36 AM   #48
dahya

Nice one, thank you !!

Quote:
Thank you dahya and hans!

That's a great point. I'll just restore the name when rendering is done.
I'll make the update soon and give a heads up here.
Thanks!
dahya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 09:13 AM   #49
odedd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahya View Post
Nice one, thank you !!
You're welcome!
I just added that to v0.6.1, available now.

A detailed video will come later this week, showing all of stem manager's capabilities (though I think most of them are quite self explanatory)
Old 07-31-2022, 08:15 AM   #50
odedd

An in depth video is finally here (I also added it to the first post in the thread):

Old 08-01-2022, 02:52 AM   #51
jules

Quote:
An in depth video is finally here (I also added it to the first post in the thread):

Thank you so much Oded, this is an extremely useful tool and a remarkable tutorial video.
jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 01:29 AM   #52
odedd

v1.0.0 is out!
Unfortunately I had to change the way default settings are saved and loaded, and the new way breaks current default settings.

However, settings saved with projects are still intact, so here's a way to reload and save the default settings for the future:
- Load a project which uses stem manager with the settings you want
- Click settings
- Click "Save as default settings"
- Now whenever you load Stem Manager on an empty project it should have the default settings, as intended.

For this to work, just make sure you update to v1.0.0 first.

Thanks!
Old 09-05-2022, 06:47 AM   #53
lexaproductions

This is amazing. And very nice tutorial video as well!
I’d like to understand something? Is there a way to bounce several tracks in one pass like Reaper’s « stem render selected tracks » but zeroing volume and pan on each track first. And most importantly in one single pass rather than in a lot of separate soloed renders?

I’m really looking into integrate this stem manager into my daily workflow.
lexaproductions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 08:06 AM   #54
odedd

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexaproductions View Post
This is amazing. And very nice tutorial video as well!
Thanks so much! I'll take the opportunity to tell you that ReaLive is unbelievable! Amazing work. I have some friends that swear by it and from what they showed me it's mind blowingly good.

Quote:
I’d like to understand something? Is there a way to bounce several tracks in one pass like Reaper’s « stem render selected tracks » but zeroing volume and pan on each track first. And most importantly in one single pass rather than in a lot of separate soloed renders?
First, since what it does is make "mixes" of soloed tracks, they can't be rendered in one pass.

Of course, if you are using « stem render selected tracks » option as a render source in the render preset you can definitely still use Stem Manager to automate some of the tasks - like making sure specific regions/markers/time selection is/are selected, running custom actions before and after and some naming and subfolder tasks, but it can't fundamentally change the way Reaper renders.

Here's what the script does for each stem:
- Solo/mute some tracks
- Run all kind of actions to prepare the render (load render preset, append folder to filename, change $stem to the stem name)
- Optionally run custom actions
- Render / add to render queue
- Optionally run some other custom actions
- Play+wait before rendering the next stem (to let reverbs die down)

Zeroing the faders is not built in, however it can be achieved like so:

If you give me a more specific use case maybe I can come up with something more elegant or find a way of integrating it into the script.

However, I'm not sure that making it a part of the core functionality is good, since again - the script is not primarily about rendering individual tracks (in which case zeroing the volume would make sense) but rather about rendering sets of tracks, in which case you'd probably (definitely?) want to keep their relative levels. Show me a use case for wanting to zero a whole set of tracks and I'll add it

Another thought: You can also always make sure that you're normalizing as part of the render preset, which might solve that issue while still maintaining the relative levels between each stem's tracks.
Old 09-05-2022, 09:39 AM   #55
lexaproductions

Thanks for the kind words. Tell your friends to give me a shout in the thread. I’m always interested to know how it’s used by others.

So to render separate tracks, I can still use the Reaper setting in the render window by making a preset and then trigger it using stem manager? That would still be a very viable option. Making reaper render presets and use SM to trigger them.
lexaproductions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 10:28 AM   #56
odedd

Quote:
So to render separate tracks, I can still use the Reaper setting in the render window by making a preset and then trigger it using stem manager? That would still be a very viable option. Making reaper render presets and use SM to trigger them.
Yep, that's definitely possible.
You'll get a warning saying the render preset's source is not Master Mix, but it won't prevent you from rendering using it.

If you don't want a message to appear every time you render, be sure to check "don't show non critical errors before rendering".

And I'll definitely tell my friends to give you a shout
Old 09-13-2022, 05:05 AM   #57
dadada

Default Stats?

Your stem manager is amazing - using it on every project now!

One suggestion:
I really like the new render stats reaper offer (loudness, clipping etc)
Is there a way to see some of those stats (maybe the above two) on a single overview page after all stem manager renders completed?
This would allow me to see any issues with the rendered files.
The data is visible while rendering via stem manager, but for unattended renders of many stems it would be helpful to see them all after completion.
dadada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 04:35 AM   #58
illsoulprod259

Complete noob question? How do i install this? new to the reaper script world
illsoulprod259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 05:35 PM   #59
illsoulprod259

Default Got it working but...

I found a bug, when i have reaper on my main 4k monitor of my miulti-monitor setup the script doesn't visibly show up but its active. It's not until I move the main screen down to one of my slate ravens does the script in it's entirety show up. I tried moving the script as well but i just disappears when i try to move it up.
illsoulprod259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 10:50 PM   #60
odedd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadada View Post
Your stem manager is amazing - using it on every project now!
Thanks so much. I'm really glad to hear!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadada View Post
One suggestion:
I really like the new render stats reaper offer (loudness, clipping etc)
Is there a way to see some of those stats (maybe the above two) on a single overview page after all stem manager renders completed?
This would allow me to see any issues with the rendered files.
The data is visible while rendering via stem manager, but for unattended renders of many stems it would be helpful to see them all after completion.
That's a great idea. I need to see if there's a way I can access the stats html page's location and aggregate all of them somehow.
I'll work on it!
Old 09-18-2022, 03:08 AM   #61
odedd

Quote:
Originally Posted by illsoulprod259 View Post
I found a bug, when i have reaper on my main 4k monitor of my miulti-monitor setup the script doesn't visibly show up but its active. It's not until I move the main screen down to one of my slate ravens does the script in it's entirety show up. I tried moving the script as well but i just disappears when i try to move it up.
Sorry for that - multi monitor setups are a bit tricky. I wonder if it's a ReaImGui thing or if it's something I'm doing wrong.
I can't seem to recreate it, but I do have something weird happening when both monitors are at different resolutions.
Can you elaborate a bit please? What operating system are you running? Are the monitors running at different resolutions?
Did it happen the first time you opened the script or only on subsequent runs?
Old 10-10-2022, 02:31 AM   #62
eyal

Default Thanks

This is a great tool and great coding, thanks ODEDD
eyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 02:57 AM   #63
IXix

Nice work!
IXix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 12:12 PM   #64
timothys_monster

I just came to say THANK YOU!

This is so unbelievably useful and well thought-off and still easy on the eyes and mind.

You made a LOT of people's lives easier and gave them the time to drink more beer
timothys_monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 09:26 AM   #65
Deelanee

Default Amazing!

Wow... this is a great and useful script for sure. I discovered it right on time for my preparation of 2023 templates. Thank you so much, can't wait to use this and the extra time it'll give me to make more music.
Old 01-11-2023, 09:32 AM   #66
fero@reaper

Hey,

i get this error when i try to run the script -- Odedd_Stem Manager.lua:2368: attempt to perform arithmetic on a nil value (local 'trackListY')

Seems to work with reaImgui version 0.7.2

Even if i add this line at the start of the code
Code:
dofile(reaper.GetResourcePath() ..
       '/Scripts/ReaTeam Extensions/API/imgui.lua')('0.7') -- or 0.7.2
I get the same error.

Currently using,
reaper v6.73
ReaImgui Version 0.8.2
fero@reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 09:40 AM   #67
cfillion

Quote:
Originally Posted by fero@reaper View Post
Even if i add this line at the start of the code
Code:
dofile(reaper.GetResourcePath() ..
       '/Scripts/ReaTeam Extensions/API/imgui.lua')('0.7') -- or 0.7.2
It'll be fixed in ReaImGui 0.8.3 (likely later today). (The script already loads imgui.lua set to 0.7 in a slightly different manner.)
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 10:32 AM   #68
fero@reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfillion View Post
It'll be fixed in ReaImGui 0.8.3 (likely later today). (The script already loads imgui.lua set to 0.7 in a slightly different manner.)
Aah,
Alright,
Thankss
fero@reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 04:17 AM   #69
Randu_Zimburger

Hello.
First, thanks for the great work!
I use the script on my 2015 macbook without problems but on my M1 Mac Mini, I can't open the "settings" window. I get this error message:

"...ReaScripts/Rendering/Stem Manager/Odedd_Stem Manager.lua:444: number has no integer representation"

followed by "ImGui assertion failed"- popup window saying:

(g.CurrentWindowStack.Size == 1) && "Mismatched Begin/BeginChild vs End/EndChild calls: did you forget to call End/EndChild?"

is there a way for me to fix this? (I'm not a coder but also not completely unable to do tech stuff)

I'm using a Toshiba 23W_LCD_TV Screen with 1920x1080 resolution

Any tips are highly appreciated!

Thanks and greetings from lower Bavaria
Randu_Zimburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 04:28 AM   #70
odedd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randu_Zimburger View Post
I get this error message:
"...ReaScripts/Rendering/Stem Manager/Odedd_Stem Manager.lua:444: number has no integer representation"
Hi Randu.
Please make sure that an extension called "ReaImGui" (using the Reapack package manager) is updated to 0.8.3.
There was a small bug in 0.8.2 that caused problems with scripts using it, and it's solved now, as cfillion stated above.

Thanks very much!
Old 01-29-2023, 04:38 AM   #71
Randu_Zimburger

Hi Odedd,

I've read cfillion's post above (and everything else) before i posted my question and made sure version 0.8.3. is installed. I just double checked again and it is the correct version. I also reinstalled everything a few times but nothing changes.
Maybe I'm out of luck in this case.
Anyway thanks for your quick reply!
Old 01-29-2023, 04:48 AM   #72
odedd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randu_Zimburger View Post
Hi Odedd,

I've read cfillion's post above (and everything else) before i posted my question and made sure version 0.8.3. is installed. I just double checked again and it is the correct version. I also reinstalled everything a few times but nothing changes.
Maybe I'm out of luck in this case.
Anyway thanks for your quick reply!
If possible, could you please post (or DM me) a session file where it happens? It could be without items, FX, midi or audio in it, but it needs to have the same tracks.
I would help greatly help me understand what's going on.
Old 01-31-2023, 07:58 AM   #73
Randu_Zimburger

SOLVED (kind of...)

Yesterday I Imported only the "Configuration" of the "Import Configuration" Window from my Laptop to my Mac Mini and now it works. (See Picture)
I don't know what I did to the settings that caused this. Would like to send you a Project but I'm afraid, now that it's working you will not be abled to trace the problem. I can send you the Config File if you like, but I would be hesitant to undo everything I did, now that it works :-) (and rescanning all the Plugins on a new mac is a pain)
But if you insist, I'll do it for you :-)

(I think the config file alone would be sufficient, because the error also ocurred with no tracks at all...)

Thanks anyway for your kind support. Let me know what you need to get to the bottom if this!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Bildschirm*foto 2023-01-31 um 15.37.33.jpeg (73.3 KB, 87 views)
Old 02-04-2023, 07:58 PM   #74
mks

Just chiming in to say thank you for this!!! A dream functionality way past my usual manual snapshot process. So great.

Wondering if there’s be a way to queue multiple projects and “render immediately” to circumvent the “add to render queue” reloading projects for each stem. Which is an often slow process on my projects with lots of sample based instruments. Either way, just being able to do this on a per song basis is already a huge thing as is!
mks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 07:07 AM   #75
odedd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mks View Post
Just chiming in to say thank you for this!!! A dream functionality way past my usual manual snapshot process. So great.
You're welcome! I'm really happy when people find use for Stem Manager
Quote:
Originally Posted by mks View Post
Wondering if there’s be a way to queue multiple projects and “render immediately” to circumvent the “add to render queue” reloading projects for each stem. Which is an often slow process on my projects with lots of sample based instruments. Either way, just being able to do this on a per song basis is already a huge thing as is!
That would require creating my own "render queue" which is a possibility, but is a bit of an undertaking for now. Maybe in the future. Right now I have some other script ideas I want to pursue

Also, I just released v1.1.0 with a fix for the way pre and post render actions are saved. The old way led to actions sometimes loading as other actions, especially after repack installs, and it's driven me crazy for quite a while.

I finally managed to crack down on the reason, so I released this update.

Refresh my repo to get it.
Old 02-07-2023, 03:22 PM   #76
writtenbyjoe

Default Great Script, but could use some more features.

Odedd great script, thank you, but I feel it's got a little ways to go.
I realized this when I bouncing out Stems just the other day.

Now I realize it's called Stem Manager for a reason, but hear me out if this could also be used to export Multi-Tracks and MIDI that would be absolutely amazing. (example: File - Consolidate/Export Tracks)

This script would be great as a hybrid

As a user. I would like to export and render simultaneously with and without effects
DI's as well as processed. MIDI to Audio while also saving the MIDI

Idk how everyone else works, but I Typically send 3 folders to my clients

-Stems
-Multi-Tracks
- MIDI

I want to be able to bypass effects of the busses as well as on the individual tracks.

I Need printed effects on my sources example: Guitar Amps

Aswell as the Raw Di's

Render MIDI to audio tracks and save the MIDI

and Finally if you could bypass automation as well as print with automation that would also be another great feature.

And if it's something that can be recalled from session to session using the names you give your tracks or busses kind of like how SWS Auto color works to color your tracks that would also save so much time.

I know it may be advantageous and I can't imagine how much time you've already spent on Stem Manger. But I feel I'd be remised if I didn't share my thoughts after unfortunatly realizing I couldn't use Stem Manger for everything and still had to spend hours to export a single song.

Thank you for your time and consideration and all that you do Odedd. I'm sure everyone in the community appreciates your work including myself. Thank you.

Sincerely,
Joe
writtenbyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 10:27 AM   #77
douscinco

I just... love it!! This is perfect! I've been looking for a good solution for the stems in a game I'm working on. The ability of muting AND soloing allows me to make alternate tracks for the same instrument and place them as sends. It's genius!!

Thank you very much!
douscinco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 07:36 PM   #78
Aulicon

Default shouldn't be free

Incredible work.
Now we just need the ability to save and load stem presets. Having to add stems using the + button every time I open a new project makes it kinda pointless when your stems count and naming is always the same (working on a film or tv show for example)
Aulicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 05:41 AM   #79
odedd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aulicon View Post
Incredible work.
Now we just need the ability to save and load stem presets.
Thank you very much!
That's a good idea actually.
I mean, right now you can sort of save presets by using projects templates with the stems already set-up inside stem manager in the project, and they will carry over to every project made from this template (see the end of the tutorial video)

That's what I do for my mixes, but I recently started noticing it would be easier to also have the ability to save/load presets.

Will do at some point in the near future. I just recently started writing my next script, so I might do these while I'm at it.
Old 03-12-2023, 08:07 AM   #80
Jae.Thomas

This looks amazing -

I always wanted something where I could render fx stems:

Through master
Not through master
No fx or sends

Etc

In one swipe.

I don't know if this does that but I am definitely going to try this !!!

Thank you for your work
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote