Old 11-28-2022, 10:50 PM   #1
PelPix
Human being with feelings

Default wonky timecode/ruler behavior

I've got this really weird thing happening with REAPER, but also maybe in general. The timecode drifts off by almost 4 seconds over the course of the 1h movie, but nothing from the OMF import goes out of sync, which means it's purely a visual error...somehow.

Check this out!

Opening the video file in VEGAS results in correct syncing of timecode with the VEGAS ruler. So the weirdest thing about this is, despite drifting by 4 whole seconds over the 1 hour length, nothing is out of sync. Exporting the WAV out of REAPER results in a WAV that, when imported in VEGAS, lines up perfectly. The length of the exported WAV file (with pad at the end) is reported as being 1:00:47 in REAPER (and foobar, and Audacity) but 1:00:43 in VEGAS and Premiere...? With the handle extended all the way to the end. and Re-export back is still in sync (but the 4 seconds have been regained...) The four seconds are not at the end, but gradually gained over the 1 hour runtime. So there is a full 4 second discrepancy between all of the audio editors I have and all of the video editors I have, opening the same WAV file and same video file, both of which match each other exactly (disregarding pad) in each respective program...That is to say, there is a 4 second drift between all of the video editors and all of the audio editors I have when opening both of these files in any format, separately or together, and this drift is purely in the ruler, and not affecting the actual length of the audio in any way...?

When importing the video file itself into all the above apps, the same discrepancy exists. 4 seconds of drift.
Attached Images
File Type: png timecode test.png (20.0 KB, 36 views)
File Type: png timecode test 2.png (9.2 KB, 33 views)
File Type: png timecode test 3.png (13.5 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by PelPix; 11-29-2022 at 01:03 AM.
PelPix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 01:14 AM   #2
PelPix
Human being with feelings

Apparently HMSF ruler mode results in correct SMPTE time. I am not sure how the difference between real time and this standard creates a 4 second difference, but I am assuming it's some weird fine print detail with the SMPTE standard. I set the format to HMSF and it resolved the 4 second drift. I feel like it should be noted somewhere in the GUI that HMSF in ruler settings uses an entirely separate basis for time than the other settings rather than just being a format difference. HMS results in an 1h47s project length, whereas HMSF results in a 1h43s project length. Not a bug then! just a documentation issue maybe.

Last edited by PelPix; 11-29-2022 at 01:28 AM.
PelPix is offline   Reply With Quote