Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 10-29-2013, 03:52 PM   #41
oceanographer
Human being with feelings

Yeah it kind of reminds me of my 1st piece of software, Fruity Loops. Highly condemned, but it got me started and got my head around some basics. I certainly won't buy this software, but I remember when I was completley clueless and a simple program got me into the game when I didn't even know where to begin.
oceanographer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:31 PM   #42
flightzone

Beat thang virtual is only a drum machine sequencing software. I use it from time to time it's really simple to setup and use and has great sounds gritty drums for hip hop and urban prouctions. But it has something's that fail badly, like the effects are horrible. There is also a hardware version that some really love but from what I hear has problems crashing. I create bangers using virtual sometimes so its cool
flightzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:34 PM   #43
Tranquil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xgx4k83zzc
Tranquil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:25 AM   #44
crgn

An awful lot of musical snobbery here for the Reaper forums. I can only imagine that it must be all the ex Protools users ive heard about.

Talking about doing music "real" and "proper" on a music software forum? Irony? Why don't you Daw users do things properly and get out your manuscript paper and quill and make music the REAL proper way. Notate it. Then record it onto 2" Tape the proper way.

OF course the ultimate irony is that while all you old hippies are pressing your real keys and changing your real strings in a proper way and bumbling through a lacklustre version of "Take It Easy" in a bar to an audience of uninterested drunks some kid is going to take this software and do something magnificent with it.
crgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:36 AM   #45
morgon

Well I was runnin' down the road tryin' to loosen my load, and now this^^^...
morgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:34 AM   #46
technogremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by crgn View Post
OF course the ultimate irony is that while all you old hippies are pressing your real keys and changing your real strings in a proper way and bumbling through a lacklustre version of "Take It Easy" in a bar to an audience of uninterested drunks some kid is going to take this software and do something magnificent with it.
I'd say your generalization of 'key pressing' and 'string changing' musicians is much more snobby (and dare I say 'snotty') then any generalization here about 'making beats'

But let's be honest here; what is known as 'making beats' can be done by many kids with some nice software like discussed here, but coaxing something even close to bearable out of a guitar or keyboard takes a lot bigger investment in time and perseverance. Also, I don't see anyone creating a symphony using the 'beat thang' any time soon.

It's not snobbery, it's reality. Sooooooo..... you make of that what you like
technogremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:16 AM   #47
crgn

"I'd say your generalization of 'key pressing' and 'string changing' musicians is much more snobby (and dare I say 'snotty') then any generalization here about 'making beats' "

that was a sarcastic reference to an earlier post. read the thread. it wasn't me that first used those terms.

and yes, a good way of dealing with snobbery is to get even more snobby.

"Also, I don't see anyone creating a symphony using the 'beat thang' any time soon. "

you DO however see someone creating a symphony by their investing of time and perseverance in their guitar and keyboard and Reaper? curious. I think youre gonna be a bit disappointed down the line.

id suggest maybe music lessons and then University. or you could just crank out a load of old blues on five notes of your Fender and pretend that thats somehow superior to a kid with a drum machine.

"It's not snobbery, it's reality."

its old hippies sneering at the younger generation just as they've always done.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:28 AM   #48
crgn

I mean FFS..... Guitar is the easiest instrument in the world to play. virtually everybody I know can play it. that's why its so popular.

and keyboard? the lower notes sound lower the higher notes sound higher. there- ive just showed you how to play a keyboard. whats the problem?

if anyone wants to claim that theyre way above all that then show me a video on youtube of yourself playing Debussys piano works or Coltranes "Giant Steps" and i'll take you seriously. no, I don't want to see your lesson on how to play "Honky Tonk Women".
Old 10-30-2013, 07:33 AM   #49
msore

Default where's the magnificence?

Quote:
An awful lot of musical snobbery here for the Reaper forums. I can only imagine that it must be all the ex Protools users ive heard about.

Talking about doing music "real" and "proper" on a music software forum? Irony? Why don't you Daw users do things properly and get out your manuscript paper and quill and make music the REAL proper way. Notate it. Then record it onto 2" Tape the proper way.

Is that anti-hippie snobbery? I should kick yer ass but I'll just give you a flower, man.

Now, I have been waiting, and searching, and hoping for the young kids to create something magnificent with all the e- and i- tools they have in their hands.

Still ... waiting.

Meanwhile I have been able to see some promise in young folks who are able to usefully and appropriately combine e- and i- tools with instruments and voice to arrive at creative compositions.

Creative music comes out of a level that is far beyond the level of tools.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:44 AM   #50
technogremlin

Quote:
you DO however see someone creating a symphony by their investing of time and perseverance in their guitar and keyboard and Reaper? curious. I think youre gonna be a bit disappointed down the line.
You don't seem to be aware of the fact that most great symphonies where composed on one instrument (mostly piano, which IS a keyboard).

It also puts your 'opinion' in some perspective

Quote:
I mean FFS..... Guitar is the easiest instrument in the world to play. virtually everybody I know can play it. that's why its so popular.
Yet, so very few people are actually very good at it.

Quote:
and keyboard? the lower notes sound lower the higher notes sound higher. there- ive just showed you how to play a keyboard. whats the problem?
Statements like this really don't help your case
technogremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:37 AM   #51
crgn

Its anti-snobbery snobbery. I get on my snobby high horse when I see snobbery at work. just who DO those snobs think they are......

I think you'll find that symphonies are composed with paper and pen. and a brain. composition is done by a composer not a pianist.

"Yet, so very few people are actually very good at it."

define "good". was Lou Reed for example "good" at it? is Yngwe good at it? I know which one I prefer to listen to. I think that this "good" youre talking about is nothing more than a subjective value judgement.

"Creative music comes out of a level that is far beyond the level of tools. "

then we agree. it doesn't matter a bit whether your tool is an expensive vintage guitar, a Steinway piano or a "Beat Thang". this is what ive been ssaaaaaaaayin' man!

and a piano ISNT a keyboard. it HAS a keyboard but it isn't a keyboard. theres a lot more to a piano than that. its has pedals as well for a start. a keyboard is just a controller.

put my opinion in perspective indeed.........
Old 10-30-2013, 08:41 AM   #52
karbomusic

Quote:
Guitar is the easiest instrument in the world to play.
LOL, just LOL

You shouldn't be angry to begin with, just sayin', then again neither should the snobs as you call them
Old 10-30-2013, 08:42 AM   #53
Jae.Thomas

Quote:

THIS.
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:44 AM   #54
crgn

Anger is an Energy.

If any of you are finding the guitar too difficult, you could always become Bass Players!!

haha!!
Old 10-30-2013, 08:45 AM   #55
Jae.Thomas

umm guitar is NOT easy to play compared to keyboard, especially for beginners.

That being said, there are certain things which might seem easy at first, but in order to do anything magnificent, there are different levels you need to get to.

Bass, for instance, is easier than guitar to start, but to make it sound awesome it takes a LONG, LONG time.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:49 AM   #56
karbomusic

Quote:
Anger is an Energy.

If any of you are finding the guitar too difficult, you could always become Bass Players!!

haha!!
LOL I think the bigger point is, that anything that requires lots of work to be able to do contains hidden value; many times even beyond "music" itself. The fact that something require lots of work, sometimes physical discomfort and diligence tends to weed out the lazy people.

I'm not compartmentalizing that into playing an instrument (or not playing one) but before we all start bashing each other again it's probably better to seek out the value each isn't seeing verses only broadcasting the value we have individually gravitated towards, then defending it like its the be all end all.

I personally can't see either side being strong willed about either (physically playing or moving squares around on a grid) if there weren't already some internal envy or struggle. And that applies equally to everyone of us including you.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:55 AM   #57
karbomusic

Quote:
Anger is an Energy.
It's is also very often a handicap and is entirely dependent on how it is handled. Shredding others here and calling them snobs or being the snob complained about is evidence of the handicap.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:57 AM   #58
crgn

no. im not bashing anyone. im saying that music is an area of total creative freedom. you can do whatever you like whatever way you want to do it. its all valid.

the problem is when people try to say that THIS is the "proper" way to do it. that THIS is "real" music and THAT isn't. that's musical fascism. theres no "real" music. theres no "proper" way to do it. groundbreaking innovation in fact has always broken the rules of whats right and proper. grenuine creativity recognises no bounds.

and.

"never trust a hippy".
Old 10-30-2013, 08:59 AM   #59
rcl

And it even comes with a "limitor"
Old 10-30-2013, 08:59 AM   #60
karbomusic

Quote:

"never trust a hippy".
^ You were doing fine till you go to this part because it is the exact same thing you just complained about just wearing different clothes. I'll assume you were just being funny of course....

"Never trust a snot nosed sequencer who can't actually play anything"

See what I mean? It's not good to do that from any direction.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:01 AM   #61
crgn

but "magnificent" and "awesome". how do we measure these qualities? seems awfully subjective to me. whats magnificent to one person is horrible to another. what sounds like a horrible din to one person will sound magnificent to another.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:02 AM   #62
rcl

Quote:

Well said
Old 10-30-2013, 09:03 AM   #63
crgn

"anger is an energy" is a quote from a public image ltd song.

"never trust a hippy" is a quote from a Sex Pistols song.

they amused me anyway.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:08 AM   #64
karbomusic

Quote:
but "magnificent" and "awesome". how do we measure these qualities? seems awfully subjective to me. whats magnificent to one person is horrible to another. what sounds like a horrible din to one person will sound magnificent to another.
You could say that your music (the proverbial you) is the greatest ever and that good is subjective and be 100% subjectively correct. However, if you are the only person on the planet who can stand to listen to more than three seconds of it we must ask ourselves if "good" really has any value at this point.

We don't all live by ourselves on deserted islands so at some point others get a say in "good" if you (again the proverbial you) every had any hopes of others enjoying what you create. If you only care for your own listening and no one else, then not much need to make it available to anyone else. So, good is subjective but it means more in a practical sense than the one liner everyone uses it as.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:09 AM   #65
karbomusic

Quote:
"anger is an energy" is a quote from a public image ltd song.

"never trust a hippy" is a quote from a Sex Pistols song.

they amused me anyway.
Oh..... that one. Coffee slowly takes effect and light bulb goes off.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:29 AM   #66
morgon

Someone really letting rip on a musical instrument is still one of lifes greatest experiences imo. Dedication and training separates the real deal from the pretenders. Also, imo.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:35 AM   #67
karbomusic

Quote:
Someone really letting rip on a musical instrument is still one of lifes greatest experiences imo.
Did that very thing for a while long ago. As a listener though (me) however its a great experience for about 10 minutes then I glaze over and look for something more interesting. It's, for me now, like watching some one juggle chainsaws while riding a motorcycle; wow that must be hard, moving on....
Old 10-30-2013, 09:43 AM   #68
morgon

Was about to edit my last post to say what Karbo just did. Composition is key of course, and long solos boring but it's as well to have many options to keep it fresh. I'm not much of a composer though so it all comes a bit unstuck for me.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:47 AM   #69
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Did that very thing for a while long ago. As a listener though (me) however its a great experience for about 10 minutes then I glaze over and look for something more interesting. It's, for me now, like watching some one juggle chainsaws while riding a motorcycle; wow that must be hard, moving on....
exactly.... I can only listen to "video game" guitarists for so long before it gets tiring. We need something to latch on to, something with which we can relate, something that conveys emotion, etc...

again it's still subjective, but skill at an instrument does not equal good music.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:48 AM   #70
crgn

"So, good is subjective but it means more in a practical sense than the one liner everyone uses it as. "

theres no agreement on what is "good" musically. one group of people will say that THIS is good another group will say its not. its all subjective.

the only real concrete way of measuring the value of music at all is the Market Place. what sells more must be "better" in some sense. but we all know that fallacy of that argument.

however....if everybody tells you (the proverbial you again) that your musics awful and absolutely no-one is interested in it then theres a good chance that it IS awful.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:49 AM   #71
Jae.Thomas

when it comes to my own music, which I write for me, I don't care too much what others think of it. I love it. haha. However, if everyone thinks it's awful I just might not put as much effort into promoting it, etc.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:53 AM   #72
karbomusic

Quote:

however....if everybody tells you (the proverbial you again) that your musics awful and absolutely no-one is interested in it then theres a good chance that it IS awful.
Right, that's basically what I was saying. I agree with you. I made that comparison not really because of your previous reply but rather the general overuse of the term on either side.

I feel exactly the same way about "if it sounds good it is good"... To who and in what context? Maybe it would have sounded a hell of a lot better if the person hadn't stopped the minute they realized that statement.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:55 AM   #73
crgn

"Someone really letting rip on a musical instrument is still one of lifes greatest experiences imo"

yeah you like that - that's good. but it IS just a personal preference. it would probably bore the hell out of me. and ive seen a hell of a lot of it, im a live sound engineer. m not impressed at all by instrumental dexterity. id rather hear a beautiful girl with a beautiful voice sing a beautiful song. personal preference. that's all.

and I absolutely love playing the guitar. I can sit in the house and play it all night and have a great time. I don't want to watch or listen to anyone doing that though. thatd be so boring.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:55 AM   #74
morgon

I prolly should have used a term such as musically adept at the inst rather than let rip implying shredding. something I hardly ever do myself. My way of playing is similar to what I've heard of JBM in fact.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:00 AM   #75
morgon

Having said that, how many people would throw away good hard fought for gtr technique? - you can always use it to taste.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:07 AM   #76
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgon View Post
Having said that, how many people would throw away good hard fought for gtr technique? - you can always use it to taste.
What tiny bit I have left (and it is a tiny amount trust me), I save for just the right time; makes it much more powerful. The only problem I had found with it as a player, I'm just reflecting here... Is that to "properly" maintain shredding skills one has to overplay all the time or they lose the ability. As in shredding almost constantly during the song is required.

Then I saw players playing Mustang Sally and milking notes, and dropping my jaw with pure feel. That's when I realized doing both well is very near impossible and I wanted to be able to achieve that feel too. I also learned that sparsely placed notes and slower tempos are exponentially harder to make sound right due to that extra space. When playing a zillion notes there isn't enough room between them to have quite the same problem.

Again, just my reflection of the old days, doesn't have to be accurate for everyone.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:08 AM   #77
Lazarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgon View Post
Someone really letting rip on a musical instrument is still one of lifes greatest experiences imo.
I just farted on a viola and it did nothing for me.
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:10 AM   #78
crgn

"Having said that, how many people would throw away good hard fought for gtr technique? - you can always use it to taste."

usually easier said than done. technique is a double edged sword. if you can always fall back on technique then the temptation is to do so.

we all know the clichéd call of "their earlier music was better". how can that be? surely instrumentally Paul McCartney must be a FAR better musician now than when he was in the Beatles 40 years ago. surely Metsllica must be Far better now than they were in the 80s. the consensus says otherwise.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:14 AM   #79
morgon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
I just farted on a viola and it did nothing for me.
Hair on a G string?
Old 10-30-2013, 10:17 AM   #80
Dynsdale

If this gadget saves one parent from listening to their offspring practicing oboe, violin or saxophone I'm all for it.
Dynsdale is offline   Reply With Quote