Old 06-23-2015, 02:48 PM   #121
Jeffsounds
Human being with feelings

Man, it was a tough decision. Great mixes from everybody! After lots of listening I narrowed it down to 5 top mixes. In no particular order:

Fergler

Richie43

RightOnTheMark

SonicAxiom

Fictional Substance

On each of these mixes I'd LOVE to know how you got the bass guitar to sound so good! I have NEVER been able to get it to sound that way. The detail and not being overbearing in the mix is something I've struggled with.

As Lawrence suggested, I could take parts of each mix and put them together but then who would mix it? Me? I struggled with this mix for some stupid reason so that would leave me out. Any one of the above? Well, then it would end up sounding like their mix and might not come out sounding like they do in their respective mixes.

So after hearing these mixes WAY too many times. My choice for the best mix is...

a 3-way tie!

Honestly, I've listened to the top 3 mixes all day and can NOT narrow it down to just one. I like pretty much everything about all 3 mixes. They each went the step beyond just a static mix. Each person added something to make their mix stand out. Some subtle, some not so subtle. But what they each did to the mix, I liked. So, in no particular order, here are the top 3 mixes that I chose:

Fergler

Richie43

Fictional Substance

Listen to the 3 yourself and if you can pick one out of the 3 that is better than the rest then you are a better man than I.

So, when my new site goes up (soon, hopefully) I will list the 3 mixes separately with the little story of how they came to be. Real names will be used unless otherwise notified, so if I don't have your real name, please PM me. I will also be putting up links and recommendations to any websites if you have one.

Congrats and thank you to all who participated! Great job!!!!!
Old 06-23-2015, 03:59 PM   #122
richie43

It's an honor to be in the 3-way tie. I do think that while it is a neat idea to use stems from different mixes, I'd avoid doing that due to the likelihood of some nasty phase issues.... At least if you use any of mine, they are loaded with Nebula and I bet that they would not "play nice" with the other stems....lol
Nice work everyone, and nice tune.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:19 PM   #123
Fergler

I did this for bass:

Fx1:
http://puu.sh/iAtZq/680afad6c1.jpg (receiving 3/4 from drums, in M/S mode)
Fx2:
http://puu.sh/iAtXU/881b9b27f4.jpg
Fx3:
http://puu.sh/iAu32/dbda49108e.jpg

No compression, interesting... thought I would have.

TrackSpacer is one I don't pull out much. It either works great or not at all, but in this case it seems to work well. Under the hood it is a 32 band dynamic EQ, so I have it set up basically to duck a little from the drums. The LP/HP help to control that and the middle dial changes the ratio of ducking.

I could have achieved the tone I wanted without Bass Amp Room but I recently got it and it's been a nice shortcut to loading IRs or putting on algo reverbs which take a while to tune right for bass. I have a preset for EpicVerb that I use for bass but Bass Amp Room blows it out the water.
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 01:54 PM   #124
Jeffsounds

Pretty good, Fergler! I hate the sound of my bass. It sounds like there's just TOO much bottom (if that's possible) and it just spreads out into uncontrollable areas. I have been trying to tame it but I just came to the conclusion that it's not worth messing with and someday I'm getting a new bass. Someday. Probably really far off at this point but someday.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:19 AM   #125
Fictional Substance

This isn't really the kind of 3-way people dream of, but cool. Actually, it's nice to be part of such a difficult decision for you.

My bass treatment is pretty simple.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1 - ReaComp.jpg (41.9 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg 2 - JS Bass Manager.jpg (62.6 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg 3 - ReaEQ.jpg (40.3 KB, 231 views)
Fictional Substance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 10:05 AM   #126
SonicAxiom

Congrats to the winners!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffsounds View Post
On each of these mixes I'd LOVE to know how you got the bass guitar to sound so good! I have NEVER been able to get it to sound that way. The detail and not being overbearing in the mix is something I've struggled with.
I had this plugin on the bass track:

All other stems were fed through most of this outboard gear prior to do the final mix:

Final mixing took place in the Sigma, again followed by those devices that I have available in stereo before being recorded in Reaper.
SonicAxiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 10:59 PM   #127
rightonthemark

sorry I haven't been back in a while.
i got pretty busy with several things - life happens that way.
but i finally got back to mixing again.
even though the contest is done i just wanted to throw this one out there.
when i mixed this tune i was limiting myself to using only ezmix2 & expansion packs.
and i just picked up six more.
pretty much the same mix with a few tweaks after adding a few expansion pack patches.

Down The Drain (rotm-ezmix)

as for what i did with the bass...?...
my earlier mixes had the "bass beetle" patch from the peter henderson pack.
this latest mix has that plus i stacked the "90s rock bass" patch from the andy sneap pack on top to give it some grit.

thanks for letting me mix this cool tune & participate in the contest.
and more surprised to be in the top five.
everybody did some pretty good mixes.
i always find it interesting how differently songs can be interpreted within the context of a mix & how that affects the listener.
great job gang.
rightonthemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 11:16 PM   #128
rightonthemark

to break the three way tie my vote would be for Fergler's mix.
very easy on the ears.
well balanced.
when i listen to it i don't hear anything that makes me think this or that should be changed or done differently or that there's too much or too little of this or that.
again...very easy on the ears.
nice job Fergler.
rightonthemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 12:10 PM   #129
Jeffsounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightonthemark View Post
to break the three way tie my vote would be for Fergler's mix.
very easy on the ears.
well balanced.
when i listen to it i don't hear anything that makes me think this or that should be changed or done differently or that there's too much or too little of this or that.
again...very easy on the ears.
nice job Fergler.
Those reasons are exactly why I had such a hard time! I heard the same thing with all three mixes. VERY little that I would want changed or tweaked.

I have a LOT going on right now but I will be back to this project soon and take care of a few things.

Once again, thanks to ALL who participated!
Old 06-30-2015, 06:40 AM   #130
Fergler

Thank you right on the mark, means a lot to me!
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote