Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 07-18-2019, 05:50 AM   #1
EManBass
Human being with feelings

Default Add exceptions to scope of commands

So, recently we got the update where you can change the "scope" of a command, say, to global. This means that I can play and stop the playback no matter what screen I'm on and what is active other than the edit or mixer window, as long as I have a key (the spacebar in my case) set to "global" on the scope selection when adding a shortcut key to a specific command. This is brilliant, and such a time saver. It really makes the workflow fit the user.

Now, I'm having a silly problem with the W command, which as a default it goes back to the beginning of the project. I set it up to global as well, and it has worked great until now that I'm working with midi items. When working with midi, W usually brought me back to the beginning of the midi file, but now, since it's global, it will take me to the very beginning of the project. I could remove the global command option, but then if I'm tweaking plugins or doing something else, I'll have to click on the edit or mixing window to make those active in order to bring the playback cursor all the way to the top. I could do a little trade-off like that, but why not just add exceptions?

If we could get exceptions, I could set up W to go back to the beginning of the project, and add an exception for the midi editor, in which it will then behave as usual, bringing me back to the beginning of the midi item. And this could apply to so many other things that I'm sure we'd all find extremely useful. Whatcha'll think?
EManBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 06:59 PM   #2
EManBass
Human being with feelings

I guess nobody has encountered my same issue?

To paraphrase my problem, the same one I am facing right now: I have W set as a global command to bring me to the start of the project, just as I have number 1 to go to marker #1; number 2 to go to marker #2; and so on. In the middle of a mixing/mastering project, I could be adjusting a plugin while wanting to go to the intro, the verse, chorus, and bridge back and forth, listening as I adjust. This is done thanks to the global settings, which are god-sent.

Next, I double-click on a MIDI item to open the MIDI editor, and when I press W I get sent all the way to the start of the project, not to the start of the MIDI item. I would want the latter to take place.

How could I do this, use W to go to the start of a MIDI item while in the MIDI editor, while retaining my global W command so it still brings me to the beginning of the project when I have plugin windows active and such (except for the MIDI editor only)? The answer, for me, would be simple: add exceptions to the scopes of commands. This way, I can make global W to bring me all the way to the start of a project, but with the added exception of the MIDI editor. Then, when I choose the MIDI Section (as opposed to the Main Section) to add shortcuts to the different commands, the W can be used for MIDI editor windows to take me to the start of the MIDI item, without interfering with my global settings.

I know, I know, beggars can't be choosers. But I'm sure we all could benefit from this option if it were available =)
EManBass is offline   Reply With Quote