Old 01-09-2017, 08:53 AM   #681
reddiesel41264
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicInclusive View Post
Hi - I did a search, and I also skimmed all the posts from last year (the most recent 10 pages) but didn't see anything.

Is there a 32-bit version planned? I have some older hardware on which only a 32-bit version of Linux runs that I'd be interested in running Reaper natively on. I've downloaded and successfully installed and run the 64-bit version from landoleet on other 64-bit Linux systems, but a 32-bit port is still of potential use to me - and I imagine others.

If there isn't such a port presently, I might well be interested in contributing some effort to making it happen (I've been a Linux user / developer / admin since '93).

LMK how things stand.

Thanks! :-)

BTW: I already have Reaper up and running quite successfully using Wine and Jack talking to both audio and MIDI hardware with 5.8ms latency. Just looking to see if I can employ some other hardware that won't support that setup.

Kind regards

Derek Jones
Owner: MusicInclusive LLC
I believe the version on LOL is 32bit as well, it has x86 in the file name which usually indicates 32bit. So I guess you just have to set your compiler settings to 32bit.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:11 AM   #682
MusicInclusive

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddiesel41264 View Post
I believe the version on LOL is 32bit as well, it has x86 in the file name which usually indicates 32bit. So I guess you just have to set your compiler settings to 32bit.
No - it's a 64-bit only version there. If one tries to run it on a 32-bit install one gets this:

bash: ./reaper5: cannot execute binary file: Exec format error

And running file shows it's a 64-bit executable.

file reaper5

reaper5: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1 (GNU/Linux)

A 32-bit executable shows up like this:

ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version

Kind regards

Derek Jones
Owner: MusicInclusive LLC
Old 01-27-2017, 08:12 PM   #683
Nystagmus

Default Poor Man's Muse Receptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. PC View Post
Is it possible to have a computer running Linux Reaper, with a slave running Windows Reaper, to use Windows VSTs?

What would latency be like.

Could it be run over WIFI, Thunderbolt, Cat5?
This is a really good question...
My guess is that it could be a fun experiment to try.
Old 01-29-2017, 05:38 PM   #684
theviolinist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneLessor View Post
I know this has been requested before, but I seriously wonder if Cockos has even considered providing native builds for Linux? Is there any way we can be notified of the status of Reaper in Linux? Reaper is my favorite DAW but it's also the only reason that I have Windows installed on my other partition and going between the two. Given, I have considered and acknowledged the contents of this post;

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=81772

however I find this not to be suitable to production once you get past two or so tracks, and effects alone really bog it down easily. WINE isn't sufficient for running Reaper in any serious situation, to me it's outlandish. I'm serious about my production but I'm also serious about feasibility and compatibility.

I'm also curious about this blog post:

http://www.1014.org/?article=414

Is there any way Cockos can comment on the status of a native Reaper build?

Thanks,
Shane
Hi Shane, and all Reaperites! Totally agree, especially with the "this is the only reason I have windoze..." (sic)
I am swapping to Linux, like NASA and a great many others, I suspect. The ONLY reason I keep a Windoze version running (XP and on another pc Win7) is for Reaper. Ardour is not Reaper, never will be. I love Reaper!! One of these days Justin will release the Linux Native Reaper version, and the whole world will rejoice!! I have hacked and cut and have Reaper running on an Ubuntu Studio on a dual boot PC... (ja, the windoze partition has Reaper 5.32) Reaper is the only company and software that made me WANT to buy the license... which I did... so, I REALLY hope we can have a LINUX NATIVE version... maybe a small "crossover" license? not a new one?
long... live... Reaper!! :-) :-) :-)
http://fiverr.com/theviolinist
Old 01-29-2017, 08:55 PM   #685
mikeypee

I have something like 6 inputs + 4 outputs, some of which are pulseaudio sinks, with many effects running under Wine @ ~10ms latency, 48k/24bit, and barely get an XRUN once per 1-3 minutes (if I put the priority at 70 and "denice" the jackd process).

Are you saying I could get much better performance than that with a native Linux release!?

(not sarcasm .... this would be awesome)
Old 02-02-2017, 04:20 AM   #686
osxmidi

Seeing that Linux Reaper lacks a UI for Linux vst plugins at the moment, I've been playing around with a vst wrapper that loads the original Linux vst plugin and then puts up a UI so that it behaves like the original vst plugin but with a UI.

So far, I've tested it with around 20 Linux vst plugins and it seems to be ok.

u-he plugins seem to work.

The vst UI is coordinated to the Reaper Linux UI button.

I'll put it up for download if anybody wants to try it.

I'm running vst's with UI's in Reaper Linux and setting the pan knobs to "dual mode" (because of the knob bug) and Reaper Linux becomes pretty useable.

One problem is that the wrapper only loads one original vst plugin and basically becomes that loaded plugin with a UI.

How does the wrapper load the plugins for general use?

At the moment I've got a hard coded vst plugin path in the code for loading a particular vst plugin.

I'm not going to put file selector vst loading code in it at the moment.

So if I had 10 copies of the vst wrapper plugin each loading a vst from a hard coded path in /usr/lib/vst with filenames ranging from 1.so, 2.so, 3.so etc up to 10.so, then that would make 10 different vst plugins available with a UI in Linux Reaper and all that the user would need to do is to copy the vst plugins they want to use with a UI to 1.so, 2.so etc in /usr/lib/vst

The u-he plugins hang out in the home/.u-he directory and can easily be hard coded in vst wrappers to load for any user ie Podolski, TripleCheese etc.

Podolski and Carla running with vst wrapper UI's in Linux Reaper

Last edited by osxmidi; 02-02-2017 at 04:59 AM.
Old 02-02-2017, 06:05 AM   #687
mschnell

Impressive stuff...

-Michael
Old 02-02-2017, 11:35 AM   #688
clepsydrae

Wow, yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxmidi View Post
setting the pan knobs to "dual mode" (because of the knob bug)
Could you clarify this? I would love a work-around for the knob bug, but couldn't figure out what setting you were referring to. Thanks!
Old 02-03-2017, 04:03 AM   #689
osxmidi

Quote:
Originally Posted by clepsydrae View Post
Wow, yeah.

Could you clarify this? I would love a work-around for the knob bug, but couldn't figure out what setting you were referring to. Thanks!
I meant "dual pan".

If anyone doesn't know, the pan knobs can be set to "dual pan" which are 2 sliders.

I've got Reaper Linux set to "dual pan" using an option in project settings (or something like that from what I remember).

The "dual pan" sliders can be seen in the images I posted above.

The small control knobs (pan knobs) bug can be worked around by using the "dual pan" sliders and by using the mixer sliders in Reaper Linux.

Reaper Linux is ok with slider controls but the small control knobs have a bug, so just change them to "dual pan" sliders.

-----------

Carla vst can load lv2 and apparently windows vst's but I havn't tested the windows vst's yet, but I have tested the lv2 plugins.

Theoretically, seeing that Carla works with a UI with my vst wrapper, then it's probably possible to load lv2 and windows vst's into Reaper Linux with UI's.

How well the windows vst's would work in Carla, I don't know at the moment.

Last edited by osxmidi; 02-03-2017 at 04:23 AM.
Old 02-03-2017, 04:19 AM   #690
osxmidi

Another thing I've done is to load some drumkits into Linux Reaper.

Drumgizmo vst works with my vst wrapper UI, so the Drumgizmo UI can load the Drumgizmo kits.

The Reaper Linux inbuilt Reasamplomatic 5000 works but it doesn't have a UI, but projects can still load it and use it.

There is a Drumgizmo Muldjord v2 Reaper template that uses Reaper tracks instead of the Drumgizmo plugin at http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=140544

The paths are fixed and are windows paths but redirecting Reaper Linux to the Muldjord Linux paths and enabling the Search autosearch option (On successful search, autosearch for other missing files) seems to work when loading the template and it's just a case of redirecting Reaper to the drum directories (Kick, Snare etc) and then Reaper autoloads the files and then the template can be saved for Reaper Linux.

Tested the Muldjord v2 kit template with Reaper Linux and it works well but needs 4GB to load.
The template needed some file path changing which took a couple of minutes using the Search autosearch option when loading the template.

Another http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=150868 http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=150924
The SM_MegaReaper_Drumkit_Lite Reaper project loads with no file path changing and it needs 4GB of memory, the SM_MegaReaper_Drumkit needs 6GB. https://smmdrums.wordpress.com/category/reaper/

Another http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=172831 https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6K...hWSDVja1k/view (I tested this one and it works fine with the Reaper Linux Reasamplomatic with some file path changing.

Reaper BigMono drums http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?p=1288785
Old 02-03-2017, 04:28 AM   #691
osxmidi

Reaper Linux can have multiple ins and outs appearing as Jack in and out connections, so connecting external hosts up to Reapers track inputs in Jack isn't that hard, and then each track in Reaper can have it's own vst effects.

Reapers tracks can be connected to Jack connections and things can be routed in or out of Reaper tracks.

I had Drumgizmo drum channels connected up to Reaper tracks through Jack via an external host running the Drungizmo vst, like track 4 was the snare etc etc, worked great.

That was before my vst wrapper, and the vst wrapper can load the Dungizmo vst with a UI so it can just be directly loaded into Reaper insead of running Drumgizmo via an external host and routing through Jack into Reaper tracks.

Last edited by osxmidi; 02-03-2017 at 04:39 AM.
Old 02-03-2017, 01:08 PM   #692
clepsydrae

Quote:
I meant "dual pan".
Ah right: right-click the pan knob and change pan mode... and "Options -> Layouts -> Track Panel -> ah -- Standard expanding, popup fader" is handy too.

Too bad there's no way to set dual-pan as default for new tracks, but a track template isn't hard to use either.
Old 02-03-2017, 10:14 PM   #693
osxmidi

For reaper_529_developer_linux_x86_64.tar.xz and libSwell-x86_64-debian-stretch-gtk3.tar.xz http://landoleet.org/dev/

A u-he test using Podolski.

No guarantee on how it performs, there could be crashes or whatever but hopefully it might be ok.

I'll get around to some other plugins sometime later and do some generic loading versions that can just load whatever plugin anyone wants.

Install Podolski from https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=424953

unzip the pod.so.zip and copy the pod.so to a vst directory that Reaper can see

In Reaper Linux

Check "Default VST to generic UI
in
options preferences plug-ins vst

Uncheck get vst names/types when scanning, and then do a clear cache/re-scan

Open up a track and load the pod vst plugin

-------

The UI button controls the plugin window opening and closing and the Reapers default plugin window (with just parameter sliders and no UI) closes the plugin window when it's closed and then the tracks FX button opens it again.

----

Drumgizmo

Install the drumgizmo_vst.so to /usr/lib/vst

unzip drumgiz.so.zip and copy the drumgiz.so file to where Reaper can see it in a vst scan.

Open a track in Reaper and load drumgiz.so via the FX buton.

Tested with the new DrumGizmo v0.9.12 compiled from sources and the Muldjord Kit v1.00

-------

Try Carla Patchbay (untested)

The carla.vst folder needs to be in /usr/lib/vst

The carla.vst might need to be compiled from sources for different systems, with options like win vst's enabled if someone wants them.
Attached Files
File Type: zip pod.so.zip (7.2 KB, 240 views)
File Type: zip drumgiz.so.zip (7.0 KB, 252 views)
File Type: zip carlapatch.so.zip (7.0 KB, 239 views)
File Type: zip carlapatch16.so.zip (7.0 KB, 271 views)

Last edited by osxmidi; 02-04-2017 at 02:25 AM.
Old 02-04-2017, 12:42 AM   #694
soundchaser59

Quote:
Originally Posted by theviolinist View Post
Hi Shane, and all Reaperites! Totally agree, especially with the "this is the only reason I have windoze..." (sic)
I am swapping to Linux, like NASA and a great many others, I suspect. The ONLY reason I keep a Windoze version running (XP and on another pc Win7) is for Reaper......running on an Ubuntu Studio on a dual boot PC... (ja, the windoze partition has Reaper 5.32) Reaper is the only company and software that made me WANT to buy the license... which I did... so, I REALLY hope we can have a LINUX NATIVE version... maybe a small "crossover" license? not a new one?
Same here. Reaper is THE ONLY reason I am still booting to Windows. I am ready to experiment with AVLinux this weekend, be interesting to see how far I get with it.

I know development is not quick and painless, I am a programmer too, but at the same time I'm surprised that we have come this far and there are still so few, if any, options for quality DAW software on Linux. I would gladly pay for another license if it meant I could download a Reaper that runs natively in Linux.
Old 02-04-2017, 03:04 AM   #695
osxmidi

Vst wrappers w1.so to w10.so

w1.so will load a vst named 1.so

w2.so will load a vst named 2.so

etc etc up to 10.

So 10 varying vst's can be loaded into Reaper Linux with UI's depending on what vst's the user wants to use with a UI inside Reaper Linux.

The 1.so and 2.so etc files must be in /usr/lib/vst for the vst wrappers (wr1.so etc) to load them.

Just say I want to load drumsynth.so and Dexed.so into Linux Reaper with a UI, then I copy drumsynth.so to 1.so and I copy Dexed.so to 2.so and I load them by loading the w1.so and w2.so wrappers into Reaper tracks via the FX button.

Dexed http://distrho.sourceforge.net/ports

One problem I've come across is that the Linux lsp vst plugins clash with Reaper Linux's gtk3/gdk3 interface and so can't be used.

-------

u-he TripleCheese and TyrellN6

TripleCheese from https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=424953

TyrellN6 https://www.amazona.de/freeware-synth-tyrell-n6-v3-03/ http://linuxsynths.com/TyrellN6Patch.../tyrelln6.html https://www.u-he.com/cms/tyrelln6
Attached Files
File Type: zip wrvst.zip (69.7 KB, 302 views)
File Type: zip tcheese.so.zip (7.2 KB, 300 views)
File Type: zip tyrel.so.zip (7.2 KB, 298 views)

Last edited by osxmidi; 02-04-2017 at 03:38 AM.
Old 02-04-2017, 04:22 AM   #696
Mr. PC

osxmidi, I don't understand.

Are you saying it's possible to run up to 10 VSTs in Linux Native?

Can they be any VST? Kontakt? Neutron? B2?

If so, I'm ditching Windows. I'm in the same boat as everyone above, I *only* use Windows for Reaper.
Old 02-04-2017, 04:45 AM   #697
osxmidi

Quote:
osxmidi, I don't understand.

Are you saying it's possible to run up to 10 VSTs in Linux Native?

Can they be any VST? Kontakt? Neutron? B2?

If so, I'm ditching Windows. I'm in the same boat as everyone above, I *only* use Windows for Reaper.

Whatever Linux vst that has been copied to 1.so gets loaded by wr1.so inside Linux Reaper.

Whatever Linux vst that has been copied to 2.so gets loaded by wr2.so inside Linux Reaper.

---------------

Linux Reaper doesn't have a UI for Linux based vst's.

Linux Reaper can only load Linux based vst's but the vst UI code is not implemented in Linux Reaper, so the Linux vst's just load and show a basic window of the vst's parameters that can be adjusted by moving sliders.

The basic vst window with sliders is not that great for using a vst, so I've added the UI of the vst and the user can now use the vst like they normally would.

Like the u-he synths for example load into Linux Reaper and just show a basic window with sliders with no UI.

I have to load a Linux vst and then put up it's vst UI and I do that by having my vst (wrapper) load the original vst.

Because I don't know the name of the Linux vst file that someone might want to load into Reaper Linux, then I've got to put up a file loading dialog so that the user can select an original Linux vst to load (I'm not doing that at the moment) or hard code my wrappers (wr1.so, wr2.so etc) to load whatever vst file that has been pre copied to /usr/lib/vst/1.so, /usr/lib/vst2.so etc (much easier at the moment) and then the user loads wr1.so into a Linux Reaper track and that loads whatever original vst file that was pre copied to the /usr/lib/vst/1.so file *and wr2.so loads whatever vst that was pre copied to the /usr/lib/vst/2.so file etc etc).

Original VST (1.so)-> Wrapper VST loads Original VST with a UI (wr1.so) -> Linux Reaper Tracks

So if someone wants to load 10 different Linux vst's into Linux Reaper with UI's, then they use the wr1.so, wr2.so (my vst wrappers) etc vst files inside of Reaper to automatically load the original vst files which have been pre copied to 1.so, 2.so etc.

So just say I want to load the 3BandEQ Linux vst into Reaper Linux with a UI, then I copy the 3BandEQ so file to 1.so (in /usr/lib/vst) and then I use wr1.so inside of Reaper which will load the 1.so vst (which is of course the 3BandEQ vst).

That way, a user can copy any Linux vst to 1.so, 2.so etc and then they can be used inside of Linux Reaper with a UI by loading the corresponding wrapper wr1.so wr2.so etc.

wr1.so loads 1.so

wr2.so loads 2.so

wr3.so loads 3.so

etc etc

-----------

Window's vst's can theoretically be loaded by Carla (see post above) but I havn't tested it and I don't know how stable that would be.

If someone wants to use windows vst's and Reaper on Linux then it's probably best to stick with Windows Reaper and wine.

I'm just adding a vst UI interface for Linux vst's and Linux Reaper.

The Linux Reaper version will probably never have windows vst support.

There are things like airwave that convert a windows vst into a Linux vst using wine but sometimes that's hit and miss but if it works then the converted vst can be loaded into Linux Reaper and used with a UI via my vst wrapper.

So, someone could theoretically convert a windows vst to a Linux vst using airwave and then load that converted vst into Reaper Linux by copying it to 1.so in /usr/lib/vst and then wr1.so will try and load it inside Reaper, but wine/vst stuff is often full of hits and misses.

https://github.com/phantom-code/airwave

I have had window vst's running in Linux Reaper by using airwave and my vst wrapper.

The current Linux Reaper version is sort of complete but doesn't have vst UI abilities (and also has a pan knob bug).

The current Linux Reaper has some advantages because it's integrated into Jack and getting say 16 in and out channels routing from Jack into Linux Reaper tracks is very easy.

Last edited by osxmidi; 02-04-2017 at 05:41 AM.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:03 AM   #698
GL3000

Do ReaPlugs work in native Linux?

Also if you compare the native Linux to WINE how much better is the performance in terms of CPU and memory?
Old 02-05-2017, 09:18 AM   #699
osxmidi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL3000 View Post
Do ReaPlugs work in native Linux?

Also if you compare the native Linux to WINE how much better is the performance in terms of CPU and memory?
Yeah the ones I tested do and so does ReaSamplomatic 5000, it just doesn't have a UI and just shows basic parameter sliders.

Any Linux vst can be used with a UI in Linux Reaper with the wrapper (except for lsp plugins).

That means that the Carla vst can theoretically be used with a UI in Linux Reaper and it can load win vst's.

Apparently Kontakt can be bridged to a Linux vst (so file) using airwave and some dlls https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManag...sion&iId=32836 but that would need to be fine tuned for someones system and their Wine version etc.

Then the bridged Kontakt linux vst (so file) could theoretically be used in Linux Reaper, and then maybe Kontakt could be used with a UI in Linux Reaper, maybe, but wine and vst's are hit and miss depending on wine versions etc etc.

Or, run a windows vst in a windows vst host (something like fsthost) external to Linux Reaper and then connect the outputs of the host to Reaper tracks in Jack Connections, I havn't done it.

The performance of Linux Reaper is pretty good as far as I can tell and I'm using it with a low latency kernel and Jack, and it's very easy to pump anything in and out of Linux Reaper tracks through Jack and as far as I can tell on my systems (AV Linux and Ubuntu Studio) it's all low latency.

Last edited by osxmidi; 02-05-2017 at 09:51 AM.
Old 02-05-2017, 03:25 PM   #700
mschnell

Great !

This at least can make us hope that the devs eventually will manage do include a decent "Windows VST" bridge (including the GUI) (by means of WineLib).

BTW.: any findings regarding licensing commercial Kontakt libraries, and similar issues ?

-Michael
Old 02-05-2017, 09:03 PM   #701
osxmidi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Great !

This at least can make us hope that the devs eventually will manage do include a decent "Windows VST" bridge (including the GUI) (by means of WineLib).

BTW.: any findings regarding licensing commercial Kontakt libraries, and similar issues ?

-Michael
I'd say the devs won't, because wine and vst's are not things that Reaper would officially support IMO.

Reaper OSX doesn't offer wine/vst support as far as I know and Linux would be the same.

Wine and windows vst's are hit and miss and buggy and official support would consist of dealing with peoples wine/vst configuration problems and I'd say they have better things to do than that.

Vst's are basically the same on Windows, Osx and Linux (Intel code) except for the vst interface which is OS dependent.

That's where wine comes in and translates Windows UI calls to Linux UI calls or to Osx UI calls.

It's also possible on Osx using wine and wacvst that translates Windows UI calls to Osx UI calls.

It's best to stay with vst's for the native operating system ie Windows vst's for Windows, Osx vst's for Osx, Linux vst's for Linux and work with those.

Obviously Windows vst's have the best range because Windows is the dominant platform and Osx doesn't quite have that Windows vst range and Linux is even further back, but Linux does have EQ's, Compressors, Drums, Synths, and even u-he, so it's possible to get quite a bit done just using Linux vst's.

Wine and vst's are hit and miss and can impose latencies etc, but if someone wants to do that then they can but I doubt Reaper will ever support it or that other daws like Bitwig and Tracktion will ever support it.

Last edited by osxmidi; 02-05-2017 at 09:17 PM.
Old 02-05-2017, 11:04 PM   #702
mschnell

Quote:
Reaper OSX doesn't offer wine/vst support as far as I know and Linux would be the same.
On Mac a Windows VST bridge is not necessary. Most VSTs are available in Mac versions, and Mac users have a lot free and commercial offers to choose from. So why should the devs care ?

But there is no Kontakt Linux plugin.

Quote:
Wine and windows vst's are hit and miss and buggy and official support would consist of dealing with peoples wine/vst configuration problems and I'd say they have better things to do than that.
That is why the "Bridge" I was talking about would need to include WineLib and not be based on Wine installed on the user's system. (Muse Receptor showed that this is doable even years ago. It should be even more doable today.)

Quote:
..., Linux vst's for Linux and work with those.
Great ! As soon as you persuade NI and others to offer those together with the Mac and Windows versions of their products.

Unfortunately they will not do so before there is a demand. And there will be no demand before Linux DAWs are widely used. And Linux DAWs will not be widely used before there are easily available exactly those ubiquitous high quality plugins for them people converting from Mac/Win might have been using. And those plugins are not usable for them, unless they come with a Windows VST Bridge.

So this is mission critical on the broadest scale. And I am sure the devs do see this.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 02-06-2017 at 09:01 AM.
Old 02-06-2017, 12:30 AM   #703
Drumfix

The devs do see only one thing:

NI, Waves, UAD, others using iLok are not interested in Linux at the moment.
So the best Linux devs can do is to COMPLETELY IGNORE them.

If you want to use Linux, use Linux Vsts. There are plenty of them.
I had quite a number of plugins that were based on the NI player.
Converted the instruments i use to GIG format (thats quite some boring work) and use them in Linuxsampler now.
And there are thousands of sample libraries in sf2, sfz or gig format that can be loaded into linuxsampler aswell (including the old VSL in Gig Format).

If you think you can make music only with NI, stay away from linux.
If not, learn to know the alternatives.
Old 02-06-2017, 04:09 AM   #704
osxmidi

btw Drumfix had the original idea of hooking the Linux Reaper UI routines.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:37 AM   #705
Jack Winter

Quote:
Wine and vst's are hit and miss and can impose latencies etc, but if someone wants to do that then they can but I doubt Reaper will ever support it or that other daws like Bitwig and Tracktion will ever support it.
Yes somewhat hit and miss, depending on what interfaces wine has implemented and what bugs it has. That said, IME most VST(i)s work just fine in wine.

The reason I'm posting at all, is that I'm curious on what latencies it would impose, etc?

IMO it probably doesn't matter very much if Cockos builds a bridge or not, there are already bridges, and if they don't work correctly it's most likely just a question of fixing the bugs or implementing new wine functionality.
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Old 02-06-2017, 09:05 AM   #706
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumfix View Post
If you want to use Linux, use Linux Vsts.
This isolationistic attitude will prevent giving any push to Linux in the audio world.

We are living in a world of globalism, after all (even if some try to ignore or destroy it).

-Michael
Old 02-06-2017, 05:45 PM   #707
Veto

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
This isolationistic attitude will prevent giving any push to Linux in the audio world.

We are living in a world of globalism, after all (even if some try to ignore or destroy it).

-Michael
Can we please stay away from politics in this thread ? (some Germans have a penchant to politicize almost everything)

@osxmidi: Thanks for the excellent work on the wrapper, will try it in the next days! Using U-He plugins in Linux would be so great.
Also just a heads-up: I'm pretty sure ReaSamplomatic had a GUI (knobs still would be buggy) on my Ubuntu 14.04 installation, like every other Cockos plugin.
Old 02-06-2017, 06:47 PM   #708
michael diemer

Quote:
The devs do see only one thing:

So the best Linux devs can do is to COMPLETELY IGNORE them.

If you want to use Linux, use Linux Vsts. There are plenty of them.
I had quite a number of plugins that were based on the NI player.
Converted the instruments i use to GIG format (thats quite some boring work) and use them in Linuxsampler now.
And there are thousands of sample libraries in sf2, sfz or gig format that can be loaded into linuxsampler aswell (including the old VSL in Gig Format).

If you think you can make music only with NI, stay away from linux.
If not, learn to know the alternatives.
This is disappointing. I was hoping I would be able to use my various instrument libraries someday on a Linux Native version. GPO, EWSO Gold, Vienna Sp. Edition, Cinematic Strings. There simply aren't Linux versions of these and other sample libraries. Oh well, we haven't yet seen what the devs are going to do. We know what they are capable of, however, and I would never bet against them. If worse comes to worst, I'll have to stay on Windows 7, even past EOL if necessary. But where there's a will there's a way. I think somebody will find it.
Old 02-06-2017, 06:52 PM   #709
brainwreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael diemer View Post
This is disappointing. I was hoping I would be able to use my various instrument libraries someday on a Linux Native version. GPO, EWSO Gold, Vienna Sp. Edition, Cinematic Strings. There simply aren't Linux versions of these and other sample libraries. Oh well, we haven't yet seen what the devs are going to do. We know what they are capable of, however, and I would never bet against them. If worse comes to worst, I'll have to stay on Windows 7, even past EOL if necessary. But where there's a will there's a way. I think somebody will find it.
Contacting those devs to let them know that you would like to see native linux versions of their plugins can't hurt.
Old 02-06-2017, 10:59 PM   #710
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veto View Post
(some Germans have a penchant to politicize almost everything)
I see. There is a veto.

-Michael (Obviously not the only one preferring cooperation between the operating systems.)
Old 02-06-2017, 11:00 PM   #711
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwreck View Post
Contacting those devs to let them know that you would like to see native linux versions of their plugins can't hurt.
Hoping they are listing here, as this is supposedly the only thread about "Linux Native" and hence about that bleeding edge.

-Michael
Old 02-07-2017, 03:53 AM   #712
reddiesel41264

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael diemer View Post
Will they run in Carla? Personally I'd never load a large VI template into Reaper, either on Windows or Linux, I always use some kind of separate VST host and Linux Reaper offers 64 virtual MIDI ports which makes things easier.
Old 02-07-2017, 04:07 PM   #713
FKAB

I've just built a new machine with the latest Mint, what's the most recent package and instructions for a successful build? I have Jack and ALSA installed. Cheers, can't wait to try this.

"NI, Waves, UAD, others using iLok are not interested in Linux at the moment."

Waves is built with Qt C++ which is primarily a Linux Framework. Wonder why not.

Last edited by FKAB; 02-07-2017 at 04:28 PM.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:19 PM   #714
mschnell

Quote:
NI does not use iLock.

Moreover regarding Kontakt (and Reaktor) the very important "player" license is imposed on the Sound libraries, and not on the software, which is "free", meaning that not the end users, but the library manufacturers need to pay for it.

-Michael.
Old 02-08-2017, 07:03 AM   #715
soundchaser59

Quote:
Originally Posted by danboid View Post
....but if you have to ask about this I'd suggest Linux REAPER isn't ready for you yet.
I find this attitude insulting. Imagine if every teacher said that to all the students who "have to ask," how dumb and backwards the world would still be today.....

I would bet there was once a day when you, too, had to ask. Did you also get a response saying "If you have to ask me that then you aren't ready."

Can you say "doc u men tay shun" ? In struc shuns?

We can follow directions...... and if the instructions are well done, we won't have to ask more than once. Or would you prefer that there never be another Linux Newbie?
Old 02-08-2017, 07:32 AM   #716
soundchaser59

Quote:
Windows randomly takes 30% of CPU for not reason (updates?)
Mine does this even when the machine is powered off.....LOL!! I think it takes 30% of my music gear budget, too, when I'm not looking.

Quote:
Please Cockos. A Native linux Reaper supporting Windows VST!! It would be the best thing since coffee.
Since sliced bread......since sugar.....since internal combustion engines.....since the moon landing....since Brad Pitt and Taylor Swift.....
Old 02-08-2017, 08:05 AM   #717
soundchaser59

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosucherror View Post
I asked Melda if they would ever port their fantastic plug-ins to Linux....here's what they had to say:

"Hi Bill......

costs of keeping a support for an operating system is unbelievable, especially for a madness mess like Linux, and since the market is virtually none (after all the fact that the OS is free gives us some info about the users), it just won't be done......"

I don't think Vojtech meant to sound insulting, it's just business.
I'm not so sure that he didn't intend to embed an insult in that comment. Intended or not, it is insulting. His comment is, in my interpretation, entirely indicative that his only concern is how much money he can get from my wallet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tack View Post
I understand the burden of supporting another OS and that the userbase has to be large enough to justify it, but this statement from Melda is terribly naive in my opinion. The reason I use Linux was never because it was free, and this is true for the vast majority of those I know who Linux. Hell, half their userbase probably pirates Windows.

Here's a slippery slope to underline the problem with that thinking: "We don't support Reaper because it's too cheap. It might work, but we don't support it if it doesn't. The fact that it's the cheapest DAW on the market tells us something about its users."
Well said.....I agree, it is very naive to dismiss Linux and its user base. That seems to me like dead end "we are the greatest one and only" thinking. Yes Linux is free, but the kind of growing development support and user interest it is getting makes many of us choose freely to contribute $$$ to the cause anyway, even without obligation. That, too, should tell them something about its users, something they are fools to ignore.

As soon as I found out Cockos is looking into a native Linux version, I renewed my license. If using the native Linux version of Reaper requires me to purchase a second license, I will do that gladly. As soon as I found out Pianoteq already offers a native Linux version, I upgraded and renewed my license. I WILL convert my studio machine to Linux one way or another, Microshaft can kiss my dusty behind goodbye forever. What does that tell Mister Melda about this Linux user? Here's what it tells me......if your software doesn't work in Linux, this Linux user will not give you any money.

Last edited by soundchaser59; 02-08-2017 at 08:23 AM.
Old 02-08-2017, 11:36 AM   #718
Drumfix

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosucherror
I asked Melda if they would ever port their fantastic plug-ins to Linux....here's what they had to say:

"Hi Bill......

costs of keeping a support for an operating system is unbelievable, especially for a madness mess like Linux, and since the market is virtually none (after all the fact that the OS is free gives us some info about the users), it just won't be done......"

I don't think Vojtech meant to sound insulting, it's just business.
I'll try to translate:

"I don't know nothing about linux other than there seem to be a lot of different distributions that one can download for free. I also don't know nothing about development on linux, so, being a mediocre developer struggling with VST development for Windows and OSX i don't think i'm competent enough to start development for another platform where the possibility of financial return is pretty low.

I'm already plagued by all those Windows users that want to use my plugins for free, pirated inside a pirated Ableton Live on their pirated copy of Windows.

Now, these Linux people are smart, damn smart, a lot less susceptical to advertising than the Windows and OSX sheep. They compare every commercial VST against similar free alternatives and only spend money if there is a real benefit over the free ones. This makes making an income from sales of my mediocre plugins even harder if not impossible. So sorry, no market for me."

Old 02-08-2017, 12:58 PM   #719
soundchaser59

I was afraid I would get some heat for my comments, but you have taken the spotlight off me..... appreciate it.
Old 02-08-2017, 02:19 PM   #720
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundchaser59 View Post
I'm not so sure that he didn't intend to embed an insult in that comment. Intended or not, it is insulting. His comment is, in my interpretation, entirely indicative that his only concern is how much money he can get from my wallet.
Or maybe ignorance about the linux environment.. Sure it can be confusing, but a vst really doesn't have the same issues porting as a game engine linking to many libs would have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundchaser59 View Post
Here's what it tells me......if your software doesn't work in Linux, this Linux user will not give you any money.
I assume you have tried reaper in wine. Most stuff really just works, just a few warts here and there. Once we have a good WDL port, native reaper will be very good in linux with just the builtin fx + stuff like u-he and the other native plugs.

If the wine bridges for vst plugins don't work for all plugins, it's just a matter of elbow grease (open source). Same goes for WDL, if someone who knows how to program graphics in linux applies himself, the port could probably advance very quickly.

Cockos has given us users all we need to have to make it happen (like the macros and scripting), but am not sure how long it will take if we expect Cockos to do it..
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Closed Thread