Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Music/Collaboration Discussion

Old 04-03-2018, 07:53 AM   #81
Grass
Human being with feelings

Thank you, guys! It was a hard song!
Grass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 08:12 AM   #82
jonboper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grass View Post
Thank you, guys! It was a hard song!
It was for sure (the next one sounds even harder...). Question for you Grass: what did you have on your main mix bus? Limiter for sure, but did you use a compressor or an eq there too?

I'm curious about this with everyone - did you attempt any amount of "mastering" regarding the overall track with compression and eq aside from mixing the track?
jonboper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 06:58 PM   #83
Not_Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKeehl View Post
I have the song for April. Oh boy it's gonna be fun.
Quote:
:::::snip:::::the new multitrack :::::snip

Old 04-03-2018, 07:12 PM   #84
Not_Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboper View Post
It was for sure (the next one sounds even harder...). Question for you Grass: what did you have on your main mix bus? Limiter for sure, but did you use a compressor or an eq there too?

I'm curious about this with everyone - did you attempt any amount of "mastering" regarding the overall track with compression and eq aside from mixing the track?
I wouldn't have said that I was doing any type of mastering. But as we all did do something to the mix down as a final step to get -14LUFS @-1db, I suppose that might count as some type of mastering(?).

I used ReaComp > ReEQ > Event Horizon Limiter/Clipper > Youlean

I could give you my .rpp file if you want to look at my little mess,
It'd probably be a good example of what not to do - heh heh.

You mentioned you were doing some Hip Hop mixing? Would you be willing to have a little side chat about that? msg me if so, if not that's fine too.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:05 AM   #85
Grass

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboper View Post

Yes, I used multiband compression on mid frequencies for some glue and adding energy.

I think the compression or EQ on the mix bus can be a mixing process. For example, if you want to glue a song, to add a silk.
Grass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 04:58 PM   #86
g4greg

Quote:
I have the song for April. Oh boy it's gonna be fun.
Holy shrapnel!

I think I chose the wrong month to hop in...

This bad boy is totally out of my comfort zone lol!
Old 04-04-2018, 05:54 PM   #87
DaveKeehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Here View Post
I could give you my .rpp file if you want to look at my little mess,
It'd probably be a good example of what not to do - heh heh.
All the sessions as usual are included in the final zip in the first post
Old 04-04-2018, 05:54 PM   #88
DaveKeehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by g4greg View Post
Holy shrapnel!

I think I chose the wrong month to hop in...

This bad boy is totally out of my comfort zone lol!
That’s a good reason why you should participate instead of running away!
Old 04-04-2018, 08:43 PM   #89
g4greg

Quote:
That’s a good reason why you should participate instead of running away!
Oh I'm not running away, I'm mixing as we speak...

That's how you learn, right? By doing stuff you've never done before..

It's going to sound like crap though
Old 04-05-2018, 08:20 AM   #90
Tod

Hi Dave, what's the name of the April mix song?
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 05:36 PM   #91
DaveKeehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Hi Dave, what's the name of the April mix song?
Hi Tod! the song is called “It's In These Times” by the band Rovers Ahead. I should probably write it in the first post...
Old 04-05-2018, 05:37 PM   #92
DaveKeehl

Has anyone already started mixing the song? How is it? Lots of bleed?

I’ll create the new thread today!
Old 04-06-2018, 12:12 AM   #93
g4greg

Quote:

I did.

there's bleed, yes. But nothing ridiculous IMHO. The musicians being quite loose at times are giving me a lot more headaches than a little bleed on the drums and vocals.

However, i'm having a blast! this is quite a challenge
Old 04-06-2018, 06:21 PM   #94
Dex

I've gotten started on the next one. It's certainly an interesting challenge! It's got a bit of a Flogging Molly or Dropkick Murphys (but not as heavy) vibe to it.

Out of curiosity why are we not allowed to glue tracks? I'm not planning on doing that but I'd like to know the technical reason why the restriction is there.
Dex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 12:23 AM   #95
Not_Here

Quote:

Lots of bleed? Not in the tracks themselves so much..
Have you seen the video? There might be a little bleed after viewing...
This one is a fun one... I have a Guinness on the desk for inspiration.
Old 04-07-2018, 05:41 AM   #96
DaveKeehl

Quote:
Lots of bleed? Not in the tracks themselves so much..
Have you seen the video? There might be a little bleed after viewing...
This one is a fun one... I have a Guinness on the desk for inspiration.
Lol
Old 04-13-2018, 02:50 PM   #97
kgarello

Default Headphone mixes

Hi all - sorry for the thread necro...

I was wondering what percent of us in this last mix contest mix on headphones primarily.

If anyone can reply back - I think it would be interesting
kgarello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 04:21 PM   #98
darjama

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgarello View Post

I was wondering what percent of us in this last mix contest mix on headphones primarily.

I'm pretty much always primarily on headphones (sony mdr7506), with occasional checks on my car stereo and my living room setup (jbl lsr305 and a consumer subwoofer).

I wouldn't blame my poor mix from March on the headphones though. I made a handful of bad last minute decision with ReaFIR.

Starting mixes in mono and rechecking for mono compatibility later helps one of the downsides of headphone mixing. Bass that translates is trickier. I've found tonebooster's Morphit plugin a little helpful there.
darjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 10:18 PM   #99
Not_Here

Primarily headphones, check translation on 4 or 5 other sources.. I noticed improvements after each mix.. +1 on the mono mix time too.
Each mix it's getting better and better. I will be getting some good Nearfields soon. It's all about the translation in the end though. Using all my friends for as long as they have the good will and patience to help...
Old 04-14-2018, 03:57 AM   #100
kgarello

I found that a few of the mixes were left heavy on my monitors, but not on headphones.

I had the same problem when I tried to use the mic positions to widen the guitar, and made the decision to center the guitar which gave my mix an overall mono sound.

I was really starting to question my monitoring as I came across it in multiple mixes.
Old 04-14-2018, 04:55 AM   #101
Grundton

My room isn't treated, so I do 75% of the mix on headphones (HD650) and
25% on monitors.
At the end I crosscheck with different speakers in another room and with
earbuds on smartphone.
Grundton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 01:33 PM   #102
DaveKeehl

I don't remember if I mixed the song for March, but I currently live away from home during the week because of uni I don't have a nice room to mix in. So I'm finding myself in using headphones more than studio monitors at the moment.
At home I have a small home studio I built (nothing fancy though) and even though it's not treated, it has lots of walls that are not parallel and closets blocking a lot of reflections.
If it wasn't for the risk of having unwanted noise coming from the other floors, I could easily mix and track live instruments without any problem. The living room would also be a great drum room because it has a nice reverb
Old 04-17-2018, 03:03 PM   #103
Not_Here

Quote:
I found that a few of the mixes were left heavy on my monitors, but not on headphones.

I had the same problem when I tried to use the mic positions to widen the guitar, and made the decision to center the guitar which gave my mix an overall mono sound.

I was really starting to question my monitoring as I came across it in multiple mixes.
I know just what you mean... I have this mix that is sounding great to everyone. THat is the ones listening in their cars or from thier mobile sources through some type of earphone/buds. I recently decided to throw it through the home theater set up and couldn't even listen to more than a minute or two. Sounded like total crap. way heavy. missing mids etc.... I seriously gave up earlier this week. Unless I can get some decent monitors and know what I'm listening to, I can't see being realistic about my mixing.

I suppose I can keep trying to learn how to compensate for what I think I'm hearing and check translation a bit more.. Maybe some of the software compensation for my headphones? IDK. I'm not going to give up but I am just a little frustrated(? might be to harsh of a word) at the moment.

I'm not saying I don't learn from all of this, or that I'm not totally having fun doing it. Just I KNOW I could do so much better if I could just get the dang monitoring situation up to a better standard.
Old 04-17-2018, 03:08 PM   #104
DaveKeehl

I think this is a situation that a lot of us know really well... I've had Waves NX in my monitoring fx since it came out, but recently I'm using it just for the new corrective EQ tool they added a few versions ago. Not sure if my mixes translate better with it, but what I've recently produced on headphones wasn't bad at all.
Old 04-17-2018, 05:29 PM   #105
dug dog

Quote:
I suppose I can keep trying to learn how to compensate for what I think I'm hearing and check translation a bit more.
I've created some truly disastrous mixes and one thing I'm trying to focus on is the use of reference tracks. Headphones may not be ideal for mixing but if, on headphones, your mix sounds similar to a track that you know sounds good, you're in the ballpark, at least.
dug dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 10:02 PM   #106
Not_Here

Quote:
I think this is a situation that a lot of us know really well... I've had Waves NX in my monitoring fx since it came out, but recently I'm using it just for the new corrective EQ tool they added a few versions ago. Not sure if my mixes translate better with it, but what I've recently produced on headphones wasn't bad at all.
I am a user of a "few" waves products. I was looking at the headphone plugin.. I'll have to go back and give it another look.
It's really great finding the equivalent of some of the 3rd party plug ins within Reaper. good training..

Quote:
Originally Posted by dug dog View Post
:::::snip:::: reference tracks. Headphones may not be ideal for mixing but if, on headphones, your mix sounds similar to a track that you know sounds good, you're in the ballpark, at least.
You know, that's exactly what I was doing with out realizing it. Your comment really made that clear.. See I know absolutely from many summer-night-full moon jams. I knew and jammed with a group (20 to 35 or so) of musicians whom played the Celtic/Folk/medieval styled music (@Bristol Ren Faire) for a living. They used to do these incredible outdoor all night jams. There would be all of these instruments and more including bodhrán, hammer dulcimers, upright Bass, a few woodwinds, Lutes of all varieties and percussion from traditional to a little more modern. I KNOW in my soul what all that sounds like played together. So I was really disappointed with how poorly executed my attempt was. I think Ive done better now and will submit whatever I end up with before deadline.

So - reference track - got it.
Critically listening to my headphones and not just trying to make them Thump and grind my head (like the rap song I mixed right before this one.... )with all the strings.. - got it.
The mix was much improved on the home system and still sounded great elsewhere.

Thank you both for pointing out some important reminders for me to pay attention too. Just cuz my headphpones "have the power" doesn't mean I have to use it, and remember to set a goal/target of where I want the mix to go - and have refernce material to keep me on target.

Right on!
Old 04-19-2018, 12:24 AM   #107
g4greg

Quote:

I mainly mix on headphones because I'm a family man, and I mix when my kids are asleep... In the next room

I do crosscheck in my monitors, and my home studio is somewhat sound treated. However, my monitors are kinda crappy, and their bass response is abysmal. Hence my biggest challenge, bass levels

A reference mix is always helpful, and Isone by toneboosters is my secret weapon. Especially for the final checks. I even use it... on my monitors lol.
Old 04-19-2018, 05:00 AM   #108
kgarello

I understand the translation issue and struggle with it also, but I believe I'm improving with it.

I'm wondering if anyone else with what they believe to be a good monitoring room could hear the left pull that I heard on multiple mixes.

This is the first month in this contest where I heard it. My theory is that the comb filtering effect does not happen on headphones.

I do know that with my current set up, my sweet spot is pretty tight. I picked up some LSR32 monitor's a couple of months ago and have removed all room correction plugs as the before and after wasn't worth the trouble.