Old 07-24-2018, 07:52 AM   #41
serr
Human being with feelings

That odd white one is the 2009/2010 MacBook. It's a C2D. Literally the same hardware sets as many 2008 - 2011 models. Calling missing a couple of those 2008 & 2009 machines on the 10.12 installer white list a bug felt like a stretch. Still calling it a bug when it wasn't fixed for the 10.13 installer felt like more of a stretch. The hardware sets are fully supported by those OS's. The 2010 & 2011 machines are the same hardware sets as the flagship mid 2012 models. Feels ridiculous to call this an unintended bug at this point no matter how much Apple koolaid you slam!

So apparently the 2018 Macbook (not very) Pro is power starved! Not overheating the CPU. The regulator chips are overheating. A stunning design flaw with no real fix!
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 03:29 AM   #42
Futur8me

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
That odd white one is the 2009/2010 MacBook. It's a C2D. Literally the same hardware sets as many 2008 - 2011 models. Calling missing a couple of those 2008 & 2009 machines on the 10.12 installer white list a bug felt like a stretch. Still calling it a bug when it wasn't fixed for the 10.13 installer felt like more of a stretch. The hardware sets are fully supported by those OS's. The 2010 & 2011 machines are the same hardware sets as the flagship mid 2012 models. Feels ridiculous to call this an unintended bug at this point no matter how much Apple koolaid you slam!

So apparently the 2018 Macbook (not very) Pro is power starved! Not overheating the CPU. The regulator chips are overheating. A stunning design flaw with no real fix!

you are so quick to jump on the bandwagon of hating and believe rumours.., this CPU throttling issues was fixed with the supplemental update to macOS High Sierra 10.13.6.

Old 07-25-2018, 04:56 AM   #43
cyrano

This one might be in hardware...
Old 07-25-2018, 09:31 AM   #44
serr

Software code can't physically cool chips. It can only, for example, tell the machine not to thermal throttle until it reaches an even higher temperature. So... looks like we're going to see what those chips are made of with this workaround!

I'm quick to jump on hating? OK. I could feel my own eyes rolling when I gave them the benefit of the doubt that it was an installer bug with 10.12. Still covered for them calling it a bug when it reappeared in the 10.13 installer. Now we see more of the same (and still no fixes from previous "bugs") in 10.14. I've been slamming the koolaid here, I'm telling ya! How much denial do you want me to stay in this time around? I'm disappointed. What else to say?

Last edited by serr; 07-25-2018 at 09:37 AM.
Old 07-25-2018, 09:44 AM   #45
Futur8me

The tests so far show that these new CPUs handle perfectly fine now after the bug fix.

if you are going to run these CPUs at full tit for hours on end in such a thin designed laptop then obviously you asking for trouble.

Old 07-25-2018, 04:52 PM   #46
cyrano

We'll only know that in a few years. If these MB Pro's start failing, it could be thermal damage. A few of the latest builds come to mind. Although with these, it's usually GPU failure. Pro lifetime is 2 years, at most, for a laptop. The one I write this on, is from 2009, though.

It's not only Apple. Thinner isn't better...

Mojave seems to run good. Seems Apple is keeping it's promise of stability...
Old 09-21-2018, 01:14 PM   #47
Fergler

I'm running the beta now, I've had a lot of random crashes In Reaper. Another today in the Render dialogue while typing, beachballed and was unresponsive.

I'm not sure where the faults lie here but definitely not as stable as my Windows computer when it comes to Reaper. OS wise, beautiful, fast, LOVE the dark theme (finally!!!!) and all other apps are launching quickly and smoothly. Can't complain there.
Fergler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 03:34 PM   #48
LugNut

Hi,
Apples biz plan is why I dumped them. At any time they just shake down their customer base to buy new hardware for no good reason.

I was HARDCORE Mac guy. Decades. From system 7 to early 10. Still use my dual boot mirrored door os 9. Just had my PS refurbished. Runs sounddiver handling all my ext hardware. Can't do that now on any 64 bit platform. Why? Because apple bought emagic. And they don't give a rats ass about their customers vs world domination.
Its all fun and games until they come for you.

Guido
LugNut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 03:13 AM   #49
vanhaze

Anyone already updated to the official Mojave release (released yesterday) ?
Any encountered issues regarding Reaper / Thirdparty Plugins / audiodevices still working/non working ?

I am quite interested in people who didnt do a clean install but an update from OSX High Sierra.
For the first time in 20 years using/installing OSX versions , i am thinking not to do a clean install anymore (i'm too lazy ATM re-installing everything from scratch again), but just the update.

Warm Regards.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:52 AM   #50
northwoodmediaworks

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post
Anyone already updated to the official Mojave release (released yesterday) ?
Any encountered issues regarding Reaper / Thirdparty Plugins / audiodevices still working/non working ?

I am quite interested in people who didnt do a clean install but an update from OSX High Sierra.
For the first time in 20 years using/installing OSX versions , i am thinking not to do a clean install anymore (i'm too lazy ATM re-installing everything from scratch again), but just the update.

Warm Regards.

Reading this and considering the same scenario.... I might just take the plunge, as this is my laptop, studio boxes are Wintel....
northwoodmediaworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 09:53 AM   #51
serr

FYI Dosdude1 is on the case again with bug fixes for the 10.14 installer.
See here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads...hread.2121473/
Old 09-25-2018, 03:12 PM   #52
tjalsma

Hello Everyone!

I just installed the Mojave update.

My Line 6 POD appears to be functioning as when I go to "system preferences" and "sound" it's registering an input when I play.

However, in REAPER, I am getting nothing at all.

Anyone have any ideas as to how to fix this? I have it selected as my audio input device, etc.

I was literally playing and using everything hours ago before the update.
tjalsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 12:59 AM   #53
rstockm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjalsma View Post
My Line 6 POD appears to be functioning as when I go to "system preferences" and "sound" it's registering an input when I play.
However, in REAPER, I am getting nothing at all.
Sounds like this:
https://hindenburg.com/news/2018/don...ojave-just-yet

Quote:
Unfortunately we have found an issue in the public release of Mojave that was not in the Beta.
This change means that Hindenburg is not being allowed to access your audio inputs, so you will not be able to record.
Any statement from the Devs?
rstockm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 06:53 AM   #54
tjalsma

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstockm View Post
Sounds like this:
https://hindenburg.com/news/2018/don...ojave-just-yet

Any statement from the Devs?
I am not familiar with Hindenburg. Do they make components for Mac or something? I am just direct from my Line 6 POD HD to my 2015 iMac direct via USB.
Old 09-26-2018, 07:45 AM   #55
serr

The easiest "fix" is to roll back to your previous install of course.

If you did an update as opposed to a clean install and suspect that, you could do a clean install instead and test that theory. Depends on how much time you want to spend with it.

But cloning your old system back to your hard drive (or swapping the drive back or however you manage your hard drives) is the "I don't know or care and I'm just going to get back to work now" method.

Jumping into the nuts and bolts of it and figuring out a specific fix for something that could be a new incompatibility with a 3rd party driver... Oh boy!
Old 09-26-2018, 08:03 AM   #56
tjalsma

Man. What a bummer. I didn’t expect to run into these kinds of issues with an official OS update but I’ve only updated quickly one time before. I generally try to wait. I guess I’ll wait it out a bit more and hope an update, for something, resolves it.
Old 09-26-2018, 08:14 AM   #57
serr

Quote:
Man. What a bummer. I didn’t expect to run into these kinds of issues with an official OS update but I’ve only updated quickly one time before. I generally try to wait. I guess I’ll wait it out a bit more and hope an update, for something, resolves it.
If you were running strictly all Apple software, then you can do that. When you have anything 3rd party (like a driver for your audio interface), you need to look to them first to see if they're ready.

You could be waiting for who knows how long though. I'd just roll back and call it a day for now.
Old 09-26-2018, 08:25 AM   #58
Vasily

Quote:
I didn’t expect to run into these kinds of issues with an official OS update
it's a .0 major update, so you should have expected some software or hardware broken.
at least, two previous major upgrades (10.12 and 10.13) had problems on .0 version.

so, yeah, two advices:
1. have a backup before upgrading
2. always check in with your hardware vendor to be sure if your device supports the new OS yet
Vasily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 10:31 AM   #59
tjalsma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
it's a .0 major update, so you should have expected some software or hardware broken.
at least, two previous major upgrades (10.12 and 10.13) had problems on .0 version.

so, yeah, two advices:
1. have a backup before upgrading
2. always check in with your hardware vendor to be sure if your device supports the new OS yet
Yeah, I know. I am pretty naïve when it comes to this type of stuff. I've only run into issues when I did update quickly before when my son set our iMac up on their beta program. However, by the time the official update came out everything was in order.

I'll just wait it out or roll back.
Old 09-27-2018, 10:45 AM   #60
Futur8me

So no issues at all, everything works perfect so far for me.

Old 09-27-2018, 10:53 AM   #61
vanhaze

Same here and i even didn't do a clean install of Mojave but update from High Sierra.
The update proces lasted for about half an hour and went flawless.

Mojave feels really snappy for me, it feels fast, it even made 20 gig of free space back on my system SSD (wow).

No issues encountered at all currently, all applications seem to open faster (including my DAW's)
Mojave seems to look abit sharper (thus more pleasant) to my eye.

I would say great work Apple

Macbook Retina 2015.
Old 09-27-2018, 11:09 AM   #62
EpicSounds

Soundtoys is one company warning not to update yet

http://support.soundtoys.com/custome...-compatibility
Old 09-27-2018, 11:18 AM   #63
vanhaze

Odd ..
i experience zero issues with all Soundtoys plugins (latest versions, both VST and AU).

Maybe i just won the Lottery.

Reaper 5.96pre11
Macbook Retina 2015.
Old 09-27-2018, 01:11 PM   #64
cyrano

Mojave looks better than High Sierra. Very few disasters. And those are related to passwords, not to audio.
Old 09-28-2018, 10:35 AM   #65
vdubreeze

Macintouch readers' experiences have included some bad ones, many involving the bumpy transition to APFS file system. Worth reading.

https://www.macintouch.com/index.html

It seems that integrated professional workflows are hardest hit. One person rigs less so.
Old 10-02-2018, 03:10 AM   #66
mikefloutier

I've been on Mountain Lion for ages. Was working on a new song and decided to upgrade to High Sierra as my browsers were complaining.

I ran that for a while as an alternate boot and when was happy decided to upgrade my main Mountain Lion boot. Suddenly it was no longer offering High Sierra so I accepted Mojave instead.

Now today I returned to my new song only to find that, although it seems to load ok it won't play.

Any ideas?

ps I updated Reaper to the latest version btw.
mikefloutier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 03:45 AM   #67
vanhaze

- What audiodevice are you using in Reaper ?
- Did you install the latest (Mojave compatible) driver for it ?
- Worst case scenario would be that your audiodevice is not compatible with Mojave (yet).
- Did you try switching audiodevice in Reaper to internal and see if Reaper plays ?
Old 10-02-2018, 03:57 AM   #68
mikefloutier

Thanks VanHaze,

Yup, I think you're right, don't know why I didn't think of it.

I'm using Tascam US-1800.

Looks like they are still working on drivers for Mojave.

I tried the latest version, ie for High Sierra but that seems worse than the original drivers; Reaper doesn't even think it's connected.

Guess I'll have to wait, at least I'm not in a hurry

ps. just re-read your post, will try internal interface to confirm...

...ok yup, works fine with internals...will be fine for now...thanks again my friend!

Last edited by mikefloutier; 10-02-2018 at 04:02 AM. Reason: confirm idea
mikefloutier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 04:13 AM   #69
vanhaze

Aha, i see: the same old incompatible driver issue with a newer OSX
Good to hear you are not in a hurry.
Old 10-02-2018, 12:32 PM   #70
Martijn (X)

Default Komplete Audio 6 also not working

Same here, no audio input from Komplete NI 6. I guess that there are a few audio interfaces that suddenly don't work with the final relase of Mojave. Thanks to a good back up, i could reinstall High Sierra

By the way, Ableton Live seemed to have no problems, but I did not test that thoroughly.
Make sure you have a good (Time Machine?) back up before you upgrade your OS. Because downgrading your Mac OS can be difficult.
Let's hope it's fixed soon.
Martijn (X) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 07:13 AM   #71
rogpfreck

Default Mac Mini (Late 2014)

All good with upgrade from High Sierra to Mojave 10.4. Reaper 5.95 working well.

Upgrade took about 6 hours and appeared to be stuck at various points. But I just let the install do its thing, and it eventually got through to the end.

Hope this helps.
rogpfreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 02:53 AM   #72
DaveKeehl

Does anyone know if Cockos usually puts in the changelog something like "Added support for INSERT NEW OS HERE" when they release the first update after a new OS release?
Old 10-05-2018, 12:15 PM   #73
tjalsma

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to give an update to my audio issues (primarily with my Line 6 POD).

Line 6 got back to me and the Mojave update reverted some privacy settings. They said that when first loading your DAW, it should ask for microphone access but mine never did.

Anyways, I went into system preferences and privacy (I think) and gave access to the microphone for Reaper and everything is now working!

I feel dumb that I didn't notice this but it's worth looking at for anyone having audio playback issues with certain devices.

Good luck everyone and happy recording!
Old 10-05-2018, 06:35 PM   #74
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKeehl View Post
Does anyone know if Cockos usually puts in the changelog something like "Added support for INSERT NEW OS HERE" when they release the first update after a new OS release?
Once we're comfortable supporting the OS version, we update the web site. Sometimes there are fixes required for a particular OS version, and in those cases we put that fix in the changelog.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 11:26 PM   #75
Ohmdepop

Default Mojave

Did an update from High Sierra to Mojave on early 2013 macbook pro, and here are the litany of hiccups,

Upgrade was smooth, but the weirdness began with the new security stuff. Apparently, though I knew I was supposed to give mic privileges I hit the wrong button (due to age and blindness) which will remove your rights to receive any input from your DAC. There ia a solution if you buggered that up much like myself. Go into "security" in "system preferences", and hit the "privacy" tab and click "microphone" on the left pane, than add Reaper on the right, this will negate your previous poor split second decision making processes, and hopefully an hour or two of unnecessary infuriation when you want to be working on music.

The other issue was with Serato Sample, if any of you are using it. You'll need to click "Accessibility" which is right below the Mic tab and add Serato to the list.

The only Reaper problem I have encountered so far is with the 32 bit host, which always seams to be open in the dock at all times, even when I close it out, or Reaper is shut down. I'm about to just remove the option to run legacy plugs and see what that does.

I run other DAW's and they are chugging away fine as far as I can tell. Reaper being my mainstay gets most of the attention around these parts.
Ohmdepop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:30 PM   #76
RocketPDX

Default I upgraded and now I'm screwed

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwoodmediaworks View Post
Reading this and considering the same scenario.... I might just take the plunge, as this is my laptop, studio boxes are Wintel....
My late 2012 13" Retinal MacBook Pro used to record into Reaper fine on High Sierra. With Mojave installed it is broken. I am having a lot of trouble getting a good backup (something is taking way too long - maybe Mojave related). Until I can get my Mackbook downgraded to 10.13 -- I have lost my recording - or, until Cukos is able to make Reaper compatible with Mojave with an upgrade.

Sad in Portland
RocketPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:35 PM   #77
RocketPDX

Default In a hurry

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post
Aha, i see: the same old incompatible driver issue with a newer OSX
Good to hear you are not in a hurry.
Unfortunately, I am having trouble getting my MacBook to a point where I feel safe downgrading it. And, I AM desperate. In 6 years, I never had an official OS update break Reaper. But then, Reaper (I NOW see - is not compatible with Mojave).

Sad in Portland
RocketPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 01:44 AM   #78
Futur8me

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketPDX View Post
Unfortunately, I am having trouble getting my MacBook to a point where I feel safe downgrading it. And, I AM desperate. In 6 years, I never had an official OS update break Reaper. But then, Reaper (I NOW see - is not compatible with Mojave).

Sad in Portland

Reaper works perfectly fine for me here so far, so there is something wrong with your setup.

Old 10-21-2018, 03:57 AM   #79
cyjanopan

Just installed Mojave on my MBP 13" early 2015. Reaper 5.x works just as before, that means like sh*t.
cyjanopan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 06:12 AM   #80
Futur8me

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyjanopan View Post
Just installed Mojave on my MBP 13" early 2015. Reaper 5.x works just as before, that means like sh*t.

Oh come on.., explain why its "like sh*t".., what are the problems you are having, because for me everything works perfect so far.. the only main issue is that Reapers GUI is very laggy on macOS.