Old 08-20-2018, 09:14 AM   #1
svijayrathinam
Human being with feelings

Default Reasurround

Hi, I have made a video explaining the problems I am facing with Rea Surround. It looks like a great plugin that could solve a lot of issues while working in surround in reaper. But I feel its got to be more simpler than what it is at the moment. If you watch my video WITH THE AUDIO TURNED UP, you will hear me narrate the issues that I have. I am sure this can be done in the plugin. But I couldn't figure it out. I request either the developers or any member of the forum to share that info or make a preset available for all reaper users...

Here is a link to the youtube video

https://youtu.be/4kQarbUNWyU
svijayrathinam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 07:04 AM   #2
denisp

Have you tried using "Influence" instead of "Gain", in the bottom right small menu box ? then push the horizontal sliders just above, to the right at the maximum, so the circles overlap much more. Not sure what it means precisely in theory but I had this "no sound" problem as well and this worked for me.
denisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 08:53 AM   #3
jm duchenne

Yes, it one a the few flaws of ReaSurround when using non symetrical layouts.
There is several solutions in these posts (among others) :
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=169473
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=202783

As denisp says, the circles have to overlap, and tick the "normalize" option if you want to keep always the same level.
jm duchenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 10:54 AM   #4
svijayrathinam

Quote:
Originally Posted by denisp View Post
Have you tried using "Influence" instead of "Gain", in the bottom right small menu box ? then push the horizontal sliders just above, to the right at the maximum, so the circles overlap much more. Not sure what it means precisely in theory but I had this "no sound" problem as well and this worked for me.

If I do that then it starts bleeding sound to the wrong channels..For example check out the attached image. I have placed the pan puck between centre and right speakers. In that position the signal should never come out of the left channel. But it does...It would be so easy if cockos can just release a preset that can be used for 5.1 film and 7.1 film setups...And since reasurround is a 3D panner..why not release a preset for the dolby atmos bed too...

Pls check out the attached image...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Yl...e7pv-biEN8LevW
Old 08-22-2018, 12:33 PM   #5
NadirNovelties

I think of Reasurround as being more about structuring the surround environment and speaker placement and less about interacting with the mix. It's an output matrix. If I want to pan something, that something is a mono or stereo file, and I use Sonic Anomaly's Surround Pan to feed the track into the matrix. Works quite well.
NadirNovelties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 12:35 PM   #6
svijayrathinam

Quote:
Originally Posted by NadirNovelties View Post
I think of Reasurround as being more about structuring the surround environment and speaker placement and less about interacting with the mix. It's an output matrix. If I want to pan something, that something is a mono or stereo file, and I use Sonic Anomaly's Surround Pan to feed the track into the matrix. Works quite well.

The Sonic anomaly's surround pan also has the same issue..Bleeding sounds into unintended channels. I even wrote to them about it. Unfortunately they dont want to address that issue. I am currently using Iosono Anymix panner. But I really feel if they give these presets in reasurround it could go a long way for film and TV post.
Old 08-22-2018, 02:34 PM   #7
NadirNovelties

Quote:
Originally Posted by svijayrathinam View Post
The Sonic anomaly's surround pan also has the same issue..Bleeding sounds into unintended channels. I even wrote to them about it. Unfortunately they dont want to address that issue. I am currently using Iosono Anymix panner. But I really feel if they give these presets in reasurround it could go a long way for film and TV post.
Reasound is designed to give you an output matrix that feeds a speaker array in the same way stereo is an output matrix for a speaker array. But it isn't a panner, nor should it be. You don't do your panning on the master stereo bus, you do it in the mix that feeds the master bus. Same thing here. Reasound works best as a tool to determine which output channel feeds which speaker and where those speakers are located.

Now as far as your particular goal of keeping the volume consistent across the side walls of a 5.1 mix, let's walk this through in really basic terms. That box in Reasound with the speakers in the corners is a listening space - presumably a theater if you're mixing for film. The circles coming out of the speakers indicate the volume drop-off of the speaker: the farther away you get from a speaker, the quieter the signal coming out of it. But obviously those aren't the complete range of where the sound is audible since you can hear all of the speakers everywhere in the theater if the sound is loud enough because amplitude varies. We control where a sound seems to localize by controlling the volume coming out of each speaker. Simple, right? Obvious, even. And the wrong way to understand how this works.

Let's say in a film, a missile flies from the front of the theater to the back. That sonic illusion is created by having the volume range from very loud up front to very loud in the back. But looking at the meters, you can see that that volume level drops in between the speakers. If you're not mixing in a 5.1 room (and I'm guessing you aren't), you might think to yourself that the sound is going to drop off in the middle and the 3D illusion will disappear.

In your video, you even went so far as to compensate for the sound differential in between the stereo speakers up front by sending some of your mix to the center speaker, treating the whole thing as a 3-speaker array across the front of the theater. Rather than use the phantom center in the stereo image of the left-front and right-front speakers, you folded the center speaker in so that it would look consistent volume-wise.

But having consistent amplitude across a plane isn't how we localize sound. You can establish this for yourself by panning a tone back and forth between a stereo speaker array. When the volume level on each output is equal as it reaches the listener, it sounds like it's in the center of the stereo image, but it is 50% less than it was when it's only coming out of one speaker or another. The same works front to back. That's what we perceive as a phantom center.

Because we place audio in space based on time, not amplitude. The millisecond differences between when sounds reach each of your ears are far more important than their relative volume levels.

If you want the volume of your missile to remain constant in amplitude from front to back as it flies overhead, then what you're actually asking for is for the front and back speaker to boost the volume by double or more (depending on the shape of the listening space) so that the amplitude is the same in between the two speakers. Which, assuming you've got a full theater, would not be particularly popular with the people sitting closer to those speakers. Not only would you be destroying the 3D illusion for everyone but the 1 or 2 people in the right position, you'd also be blowing out everyone else's ears to make it work for them.

Unless you're mixing for one person sitting dead center in a 5.1 environment, 3D effects like what it sounds like you're looking for don't really work the way it seems like you're picturing them. Which is not to say you can't have front-to-back effects (you can, obviously), but that you have to create them using the feeds to the individual speakers and their relative volume levels. The audience will localize the sound source by hearing what is in front of and what is behind them at relative levels. Because, again, we perceive space based on time, not amplitude. That's what a phantom center actually is - time, not amplitude.

The way you're thinking about this is more aligned to creating a stereo image, and that's great if you can get everyone in the theater to wear headphones so that the stereo center is consistent for everyone. Since that's not going to happen, you have to think about it slightly differently. If I'm right and you're not mixing in a 5.1 room, try to mix in a proper room at least once - you'll hear what I'm talking about immediately. Move around in that room, get a sense of how it changes.

TLDR: Reasound isn't the right tool for panning, and amplitude isn't the right unit of measurement.

On a side note, the center speaker is generally reserved for dialog or anything that needs to be heard consistently throughout the theater. If you're panning left-to-right you probably want to leave that channel out. Let the phantom center work for you.

I hope that's helpful.

[edited for clarity.]

Last edited by NadirNovelties; 08-22-2018 at 04:04 PM.
Old 08-22-2018, 04:23 PM   #8
EpicSounds

Hi Nadir

I know you mean well but Vijay isn't new to film mixing, nor to reaper and since this is the feature request forum I'm pretty sure he's not looking for a workaround, or to be told why he shouldn't want something.
He and I have spent many hours making videos on post-production in reaper if you'll like to check them on my website.
Old 08-22-2018, 04:30 PM   #9
svijayrathinam

Quote:
Reasound is designed to give you an output matrix that feeds a speaker array in the same way stereo is an output matrix for a speaker array. But it isn't a panner, nor should it be. You don't do your panning on the master stereo bus, you do it in the mix that feeds the left and right channels. Same thing here. Reasound works best as a tool to determine which output channel feeds which speaker and where those speakers are located.
False...According to cockos.."ReaSurround is a multi-channel surround panner with support for any number of input channels and speakers"

Quote:
Now as far as your particular goal of keeping the volume consistent across the side walls of a 5.1 mix, let's walk this through in really basic terms.

Pls dont. From whatever you are saying it is very evident that you have very little or no knowledge on how things work in film audio post production. If you really care to understand I strongly recommend this book.

https://www.amazon.com/Surround-Soun.../dp/0240808290

If you cared for it further..I suggest you spend some time in any film mixing studio to get an understanding of how things work in the film world.

Quote:
If you're not mixing in a 5.1 room (and I'm guessing you aren't)
False. I am working on a calibrated 5.1 room built for designing sound for films

Quote:
In your video, you even went to far as to compensate for the sound differential in between the stereo speakers up front by sending some of your mix to the center speaker, treating the whole thing as a 3-speaker array across the front of the theater. Rather than use the phantom center in the stereo image of the left-front and right-front speakers, you folded the center speaker in so that it would look consistent volume-wise. And in so doing, you ignored the phantom center that was already there for you.

That is how it is supposed to be in film audio post workflow. Pls read the book and spend some time in a surround mixing studio working on a film.

Quote:
But having consistent amplitude across a plane isn't how we localize sound.

False..Pls read the book.

Quote:
If you want the volume of your missile to remain consistent in amplitude from front to back as it flies overhead, then what you're actually asking for is for the front and back speaker to boost the volume by double or more (depending on the shape of the listening space) so that the amplitude is the same in between the two speakers. Which, assuming you've got a full theater, would not be particularly popular with the people sitting closer to those speakers. Not only would you be destroying the 3D illusion for everyone but the 1 or 2 people in the right position, you'd also be blowing out everyone else's ears to make it work for them.

Unless you're mixing for one person sitting dead center in a 5.1 environment, 3D effects like what it sounds like you're looking for don't really work the way it seems like you're picturing them. Which is not to say you can't have front-to-back effects (you can, obviously), but that you have to create them using the feeds to the individual speakers and their relative volume levels. The audience will localize the sound source by hearing what is in front of and what is behind them at relative levels. Because, again, we perceive space based on time, not amplitude. That's what a phantom center actually is - time, not amplitude.

More proof for your lack of understanding of film post workflow. Again I suggest you to spend some time in any film mixing studio and read the book.

Quote:
If I'm right and you're not mixing in a 5.1 room, try to mix in a proper room at least once - you'll hear what I'm talking about immediately
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm3221039/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Thats my IMDB Profile for you to look at. Film audio post is what I do for a living and I work in a Dolby atmos/Auro 3D film mixing room every day of the week.

Quote:
TLDR: Reasound isn't the right tool for panning

I am pretty sure surround panning is the reason why this plugin was designed by cockos in the first place.

Quote:
On a side note, the center speaker is generally reserved for dialog or anything that needs to be heard consistently throughout the theater. If you're panning left-to-right you probably want to leave that channel out. Let the phantom center work for you.
99% of the time when a sound is panned between the screen channels the sound pass through the centre channel. Thats how its done in the film post workflow. Pls read the book.

Quote:
I hope that's helpful.
Totally not. But thx for your time. I wish you used that in a better way.
Old 08-22-2018, 05:45 PM   #10
NadirNovelties

Actually, I do work in post. Been doing it quite successfully for a while now and have mixed at Skywalker and Fantasy. Tom is actually an acquaintance of mine - glad you liked his book.

I certainly didn't mean to be condescending above, but it's clear you don't understand some basics. I won't stick my nose in, though - good luck, though.
Old 08-22-2018, 05:50 PM   #11
svijayrathinam

Quote:
I won't stick my nose in, though - good luck, though.
Thank you very much for saving yours and my time . 😀
Old 07-05-2019, 03:41 PM   #12
svijayrathinam

Bump pls .. reasurround needs some love from developers. If it can do what is expected on the link posted in the first message.. it will be huge for film post workflow 😀😀.. pls developers
Old 07-08-2019, 10:01 AM   #13
airon

Maybe we should limit our request to standard panners integrated in to track controls.

Mono/Stereo -> 5.1/7.1 are the most used, unless you're doing Atmos, in which case I'm wondering whether there are any effective solutions for use in Reaper anyway.

Justin , Schwa , we're got a bunch of 2.0 panners in the track controls. How about a 2->5.0 panner for starters as an optional track panner ?

Optional pop-up pan field via single-click. Could be on the TCP. Could be its own view, dockable. Mono input option. Center exclusion via volume slider. For starters. How long can that take with your experience level ?
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 10:23 AM   #14
svijayrathinam

Just an LCR panner will go a long way for starters.. we can have a surround mode button on the TCP and with that turned on if the balance panner is placed in the middle the audio should come out of 3rd channel which is centre channel

Most important thing is to retain stereo pans.. for example an Fx editor works in a stereo room and uses the reaper track balanced.. and he has done some left to right pans.. now when we are doing surround mixes .. I would not want to re do all the x axis pans.. as it’s done already.. all I have to do is turn the surround panner on and X axis pan should just follow the track balance panner automation..
Old 07-09-2019, 02:03 PM   #15
airon

Good point.

Automation would require conversion. The left/right panner can have different modes and this would need to be kept when switching to a 5.1/7.1 panner.

We should describe what happens to all three(iirc) stereo pan mode parameter and envelopes thereof when going to 5.1/7.1.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 02:08 PM   #16
svijayrathinam

I really hope Justin and schwa are reading this.. it’s about time we have this. Reaper is almost ready for mainstream post production. Things like this will definitely push reaper in the right direction for post production.
Old 07-14-2019, 02:51 PM   #17
Philbo King

I've often thought it would be nice to have an additional option in the track panning setup: a tick box that would turn on another pan knob labelled 'Front-Back'.
Old 07-14-2019, 03:28 PM   #18
svijayrathinam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbo King View Post
I've often thought it would be nice to have an additional option in the track panning setup: a tick box that would turn on another pan knob labelled 'Front-Back'.
Yes that would be nice too.. anything other than what we have currently would be a major step in the right direction for post production..
Old 07-15-2019, 10:33 AM   #19
bertom

Hi! i have had the same issues recently. I don't know if it can help, it's not perfect, but here is the best setup i could think of for 5.1:
https://i.imgur.com/GPJ95DP.png
https://i.imgur.com/wzGjrB8.png

Basically reducing Y Depth to 50%, and adding a Cs "speaker" routed to Ls & Rs outputs.

I even tried using only one reasurround per aux (first pic), and controlling it from channels with midi CC so you can still pan sends independently, or, for example, put another reasurround on a reverb aux and using another "midi controller" to pan the send in surround. It works, i can attach my jsfx here if someone wants it. But to be honest, it's very stressful to manage in a big session...

Edit: I guess we would need rectangular influence shapes for it to really work as expected. For example with this setup if you pan 25% left and say 10% rear, there is a small gap and nothing enters the rear channels. It should. But even with that it would not be simple enough to pan sends independently in surround. I wish there were integrated surround panners on channels AND on sends too

Last edited by bertom; 07-17-2019 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Precisions
bertom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 05:08 PM   #20
svijayrathinam

Bump pls
Old 10-14-2019, 10:51 AM   #21
fakemaxwell

Bumping as well, I can't figure out why the panner should be working like this. Would be a great help to get it fixed, there isn't a replacement panner plugin out there.
fakemaxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 05:16 PM   #22
JZStudios

Quote:
Hi, I have made a video explaining the problems I am facing with Rea Surround. It looks like a great plugin that could solve a lot of issues while working in surround in reaper. But I feel its got to be more simpler than what it is at the moment. If you watch my video WITH THE AUDIO TURNED UP, you will hear me narrate the issues that I have. I am sure this can be done in the plugin. But I couldn't figure it out. I request either the developers or any member of the forum to share that info or make a preset available for all reaper users...

Here is a link to the youtube video

https://youtu.be/4kQarbUNWyU
I'll be the first to admit I'm a huge novice to all of this, but I've been doing a lot of mediocre 5.1 music mixes and exclusively using ReaSurround because I'm cheap. It seems to me like what you want to set the speaker influence to relative instead of absolute.
With absolute the panning is well... absolute. Each speaker has the radial circular influence, and any time the sound source exits that radius it doesn't send any audio signal at all. The huge empty spot in the middle exists because of this. The dead zone in the phantom speaker ranges is because the falloff is 100% in the middle where the speaker is and 0% at the radius edge. thus in between it's at 0% for both speakers. If you want to send audio to the phantom speaker you need to increase the speakers influence radius, but the falloff is still weird. To increase speaker influence, use the dropdown on the bottom right to change between speaker output gain and speaker influence.
There's a tickbox under the absolute setting to "Normalize multichannel gain" which 100% sucks if you're looking to actually pan anything. I don't really know why it exists. It makes the speaker play 100% volume from the sound source as long as it's in it's influence radius. It's identical to just sticking the sound source in the same location as the speaker. Again, I don't know why it exists. There's no fading at all, and it'll just instantly swap over 100% volume to another speaker if you try and pan it.

With Relative speaker influence the falloff extends beyond the radius, so you might get some bleed over into other channels. Thus you might actually want to lower the influence, but the phantom center is present and there's no completely dead zones like with absolute.

Some other things to note, which I only recently figured out, under the inputs meters there's a dropdown box where you can select LFE and change the volume of LFE send per input, and you can cut out or boost the center channel with Center Trim. Which also seems kind of pointless when you can adjust the per channel output gain anyways.

That's the best answer I can give. Absolute speaker influence is super weird and I don't know in what scenario it would be useful. Relative gives a more realistic and natural response.
JZStudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 04:37 PM   #23
svijayrathinam

Can we have some improvement on this pls developers
Old 08-03-2020, 04:16 PM   #24
svijayrathinam

Dear developers, there are so many of us doing surround work in reaper. There are so many threads discussing the issues we are facing with reasurround. In the first post on this thread I explain the issues I am facing with reasurround. Can you pls take a look and give us a good solution pls.

Things like rotate , ability to link and unlink pan pucks with modifier keys etc, can really be very useful. Pls.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:29 AM   #25
sonictim

I keep trying to switch from protools to reaper, but the biggest thing keeping me in protools is the lack of a built in surround panner in reaper. There are solutions, but none seem particularly elegant or fully achieve what I am looking to accomplish. There was a great thread a few years back, and reasurround added relative mode and corners, which was great, but it still doesn’t behave correctly. There is a noticeable dip in perceived volume in relative mode if I pan something to the center. In relative mode, I lose the ability to discreetly pan across the front, whereas, in absolute mode, I can discreetly go from left to center to right, but then panning to surrounds has all kinds of holes in the sound field where sound disappears. I’ve had good luck with the sonic anomaly panner. I find the imaging as I move my sounds around the space with it is much better than reasurround, and it doesn’t have that noticeable dip in volume when I pan sounds to the very center. However, it does not offer the ability to discreetly go from left to center to right without creating some kind of phantom center in addition to the center speaker.

A built in surround panner would be great! Perhaps, when selecting there panner type for the track, there’s one that also has a front back dial as previously mentioned in this thread, but I offer another option: XY mode which is a little grid we can slide a puck around in. I know reasurround can do this as a built in ui as of version 6, but until we can get a version where it works well as a surround panner this is useless to us. Perhaps reasurround could read this XY mode and work with it.

The problem I’m guessing as a developer is, which surround protocol do you support? As reaper is meant to be very flexible, so much of why protools is able to do surround successfully us that it is very rigid with its track types and busses. Perhaps this becomes an option in the track routing. When you chose number of track channels, perhaps there is an option that allows you to select 5.1 or 7.1 formatting/pan laws. Once I’m cutting a show in 5.1, 7.1, Atmos, once I establish what I’m using, it remains universal throughout my session. So perhaps it’s something you set on the master track?

These are just Ideas. I think reasurround is a very powerful tool and can be used and customized to create almost any sound field and movement through it we need. I think the problem is, we don’t want to have to create a custom sound panner for ourselves for each specific use. (I want to pan something LCR, I need to set it to LCR, I want to pan around the room, okay, I’ve got to set it to relative mode and play around with speaker influence until it sounds right), but instead we want a panner with one mode where the pan behaves according to established cinema conventions and guidelines. Thanks for reading.
sonictim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 09:36 AM   #26
svijayrathinam

I agree with everything Sonictim says!! A DAW which is as sophisticated as reaper can really do better with surround audio . Development in this area will be a huge game changer for film post and game audio.
Old 08-23-2020, 01:16 PM   #27
JZStudios

Quote:
Dear developers, there are so many of us doing surround work in reaper. There are so many threads discussing the issues we are facing with reasurround. In the first post on this thread I explain the issues I am facing with reasurround. Can you pls take a look and give us a good solution pls.

Things like rotate , ability to link and unlink pan pucks with modifier keys etc, can really be very useful. Pls.
I tried to explain how ReaSurround works. It's not amazing, but it works. Your issues are with using Absolute instead of Relative. Use Relative and you'll get your phantom center.
You already can link/unlink pucks with ctrl and shift. Shift only adds though, ctrl lets you add/remove. You can also do a box selection with right mouse + drag. Double clicking resets the pucks to center.
Rotate you can do with the dropdown boxes on the right of the plugin. It's literally called rotate and spins around the center point. What it doesn't do is let you automate that one variable and instead just automates x and y. Might also be nice if you could select the pivot point.

My biggest issue is that it should realistically be an inverse falloff so the further from the center the puck is the quieter it is. It's a weird inverse logic right now where the further from center the louder it is. As it stands, I'm happy it's "free" anyways. Most surround panners and tools are $200+.
JZStudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 07:02 PM   #28
sonictim

Default Not discreet

When you use reasurround in relative mode, the center bleeds i to the left/right speakers. You can no longer have a discreet image that pans along the front without jumping. Reasurround is great, as long as your sound is stationary. You can fiddle with various modes and place your sound. BUT, if you need your sound to fly around the room, reasurround is not your friend. Also, you can’t automate to have it switch between discreet and absolute modes. I find each has its merits, but you can’t have it switch back and forth as needed. I think reasurround needs absolute, relative, and one more.., FILM. Which follows pan laws needed for film surround environments as well as the ability to switch between all 3 modes with automation.
Old 08-24-2020, 01:18 PM   #29
svijayrathinam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZStudios View Post
I tried to explain how ReaSurround works. It's not amazing, but it works. Your issues are with using Absolute instead of Relative. Use Relative and you'll get your phantom center.
You already can link/unlink pucks with ctrl and shift. Shift only adds though, ctrl lets you add/remove. You can also do a box selection with right mouse + drag. Double clicking resets the pucks to center.
Rotate you can do with the dropdown boxes on the right of the plugin. It's literally called rotate and spins around the center point. What it doesn't do is let you automate that one variable and instead just automates x and y. Might also be nice if you could select the pivot point.

My biggest issue is that it should realistically be an inverse falloff so the further from the center the puck is the quieter it is. It's a weird inverse logic right now where the further from center the louder it is. As it stands, I'm happy it's "free" anyways. Most surround panners and tools are $200+.
Both absolute and relative mode doesn't solve all the issues mentioned here. Sonictim says exactly the problem we have with reasurround.
Old 08-26-2020, 03:09 PM   #30
svijayrathinam

Dear developers,

Can you pls put us surround users out of our miseries ? There are so many reasurround requests in the forum. Users pleading for a film and game audio solution for more than 3 years as far as I know. Pls developers.. pls pay some attention to reasurround and give us a “film mode” with the right pan laws. There aren’t good solutions for a good surround panner in reaper . I am currently using the iosono surround panner . It hasn’t been updated in a long time ever since barco bought iosono. I kindly request you to improve the reasurround panner . Pls
Old 08-30-2020, 06:58 AM   #31
hans

That would have been a dream come true if the developers could take a little look at the surround features! The best DAW in the market deserves a good surround workflow!
hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 07:23 AM   #32
dadada

just adding to this, an enthusiastic yes please!

Having proper Surround (and ideally 7.1) support in Reaper through reasurround would be amazing. It is one of the very rare areas where Reaper seems to be behind the curve compared to Protools or Nuendo etc.

In the meantime: Which non-native surround panners are you audiopost people using as a workaround?
dadada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 04:16 PM   #33
tdc

Adding my voice to the chorus of immersive reaperites for some attention on the panning tools. The 64ch track and busses is fantastic. Time for an upgrade to ReaSurround with 3 axis positioning.

Setup my studio this afternoon within ReaSurround feeding a 32ch array. Too much fun, lots of potential!

tdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 01:45 AM   #34
ktm

Did anyone here test multichannel-panning with different pan laws?

This user did a JS panner (quad afair) with a variable pan law
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=163614

Reasurround seems to use -6dB, my guess would be that -3dB would make more sense? Can anyone confirm? My feeling was that i had dips between speakers when input feeds were moving around the room.
ktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 01:33 PM   #35
svijayrathinam

Dear Developers,

Pls This is a repeated request. Pls pay attention to surround panner.
Old 11-01-2020, 04:26 AM   #36
svijayrathinam

Bumping this post again. Pls developers. A Good solution for this will put all film post and game sound designer users out of their misery !
Old 11-01-2020, 09:22 AM   #37
sonictim

Monthly +1
Old 11-01-2020, 12:04 PM   #38
pepe44

Hi everyone. im sorry if this isnt by far anything to do on what you´re saying. I dont work with surround sound. Sometime ago i came across this tools for Ambisonics.
Is there a change this works to what you guys need ? for now i mean. Till the stock surround plugin gets some love ?
just in a hope i can help.
All the best.

Link: http://www.ambisonictoolkit.net/
pepe44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 02:29 PM   #39
dadada

another +1
So sad that this still does not exist....
dadada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 01:11 PM   #40
plush2

Default Reasurround workaround

I've been following this thread with interest for a while and had some extra time so I put together a 5.1 preset for Reasurround that works somewhat similar to the Surround Pan 3 JS that has been mentioned here as a good implementation.

Reasurround 5.1 smooth motion preset

Because I needed to add several speakers to the layout that matrix in some empty spots in the stock 5.1 preset, the pin out looks a little odd. It basically should look like this...

First of all I'm hoping some might find this initially useful. Second, I am hoping this can be a jumping off point to discuss and model exactly what an ideal panning influence is for ITU/Film 5.1/7.1 etc. In my experience it is easier for the devs to make these changes when the desired behavior is demonstrated in easily achievable terms.

Last edited by plush2; 12-15-2020 at 09:10 AM. Reason: I updated the preset file to increase the absolute center location volume 1.5 dB to match continuity of all other locations.
plush2 is offline   Reply With Quote