Old 10-26-2019, 09:36 AM   #1
dupont
Human being with feelings

Default Imac 2017

Hey guys,

My 2007 imac must be replaced even if it can still handle Reaper flently (on El Capitan) and I'm abble to finish full techno tracks with it (including matering plugins).
There is currently a 30 % rebate on my local store for a 2017, mid range 3,5 Ghz processor 27 " Imac.
https://support.apple.com/kb/SP760?v...S&locale=es_ES
I know there is a fusion drive which is not the top for audio purpose but I mainly work with plugins instruments and if my old 2007 imac with it's 4200 rpm HD can run Logic, I suppose there will be no issue with the fusion drive ?

It seems a new imac design will land next year but I think I have to pay the extra price for it.

Do you think this Imac it is worth purchasing ?
Are there issue with Reaper ?
dupont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 01:17 AM   #2
dupont

after some researches on the net, fusion drive asre not recommended for audio workstation.
The SSD is only 32 Go on this model, On a 2200$ 2017 computer !
there are still fusion drive in 2019 Imac, incredible for a multi billionaire company !
dupont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 07:56 PM   #3
serr

Get a 2010 - 2012 iMac.

Be aware that the post-Jobs iMacs started gluing the screen shield to the frame and the actual display screen component itself to save costs. Replacing or reconfiguring the hard drive involves removing the glued together screen shield and screen. You then need aggressive epoxy to put it back together so you don't have the display fall out and smash in front of you soon after.

A fusion drive setup (either by the OS with a SSD + a HDD or worse, one of the hardware "fusion drives") is not optimal for audio work. You'll be wanting to configure your own hard drives. Some people might say even the real Jobs-era iMacs were a PITA with removing the screen to get inside. But at least they're made to service/mod/repair and the screen shield was only $60 to replace if you broke it.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote