Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 02-03-2017, 02:45 PM   #1
mikeroephonics
Human being with feelings

Default Batch Processing Utility for Kontakt .nki files?

Hi, everyone.

I've got a batch processing question. Has anyone found any application which can successfully batch process multiple .nki files in a single pass?

I have a problem with my Vienna Symphonic Library .nki files where the release sample group's 'amp release envelope' is set too short (~50ms), causing the release sample to end abruptly. I've gone through around half of them, manually setting the release envelope to 5sec, but would rather batch process the rest quickly with a batch utility. These libraries were converted from native Giga format to Kontakt using Extreme Sample Converter, which doesn't include batch processing capabilities from what I can tell (only batch conversion.)

If such a utility exists, can it differentiate between a non-release sample group and a release sample group? It's important that the non-release sample group's amp release envelope is untouched and set to about 50-100ms, to allow it to decay quickly so it doesn't overlap with the release sample when it begins playing.

I found this:
http://www.chickensys.com/products2/...reenshots.html

but there are people complaining about its functionality here (from 2011):
https://www.native-instruments.com/f...istant.140255/

Is Kontakt Assistant good? Has anyone here used it for batch processing?

Thanks!
Old 02-04-2017, 08:58 AM   #2
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeroephonics View Post
Is Kontakt Assistant good? Has anyone here used it for batch processing?
Hey Mike, I don't think there's any way to do that, as you've already mentioned, you have to carefully select the right groups to do this.

I'm sure you already know that you can select all the correct groups using Ctrl+left-click, then right click in the Group Editor and select "Set Edit flag for selected group(s)". Then when you adjust the release, it will adjust it for all the selected groups at the same time.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 06:20 PM   #3
mikeroephonics

Thanks for replying, Tod. Yeah, I've been setting edit flags and adjusting release envelopes this way for all these VSL .nki files. I actually took a 6-month break from this project because it's so laborious, but I'm getting back into it. Tonight I finished editing all the release sample-equipped .nki files for VSL's 'Overdrive' electric guitar library and the results are very nice. I'm trying to finish up the Saxophones 1 library by Monday.

Why am I doing this?

I own all of VSL's Horizon Series libraries in Gigasampler format except Harps 2, FX Percussion and Chamber Strings, and converted all of them to Kontakt format years ago since Tascam ditched GigaStudio. For anyone who owns any of these VSL libraries, you can imagine how much editing there is to do with that many libraries and patches/.nki files. It's boring work, but the end result is a very realistic sound.

The release samples in these libraries ensure the instruments decay properly when letting go of the key by using a real sample of the instrument decaying after the performer stops playing the instrument. After converting the libraries from Gigasampler to Kontakt format the release sample release envelopes were defaulted to around 500ms or so, which caused them to end abruptly. I've set them to a 5-second release, as that's longer than the total time of any of the release samples.

Is anyone here in a similar situation with these libraries?