Old 11-25-2018, 12:28 PM   #1
jmorel33
Human being with feelings

Default No device show on routing

Reaper version used;5.963+dev1124/x64 rev a3b4c4

My system is;
-Core i7 980x, 16 gb RAM
-devices; MOTU MTP AV USB x2, MIDI SPort 4x4, Yamaha UX256, and some other stand alone devices
- Audio card; MOTU 24AI/24AO

ISSUE;
- Computer crashed while in the software, and I believe it was a slight power failure, that reset a few devices around
- I managed to have everything back to normal (hardware wise)
- But in Reaper, my project now has a rather annoying bug, where the routing for every device shows no hardware output. When clicking on the down arrow, nothing shows up (!)
- In Reaper preferences, I can see all the devices that are connected and they all show Enabled (!)
- If I choose to create a new Project and add a track, I have the same issue; no device is in the pull down list on that track, or any track (MIDI Hardware Output).

Basically Reaper has become unusable.

Help on this matter will be appreciated.

note; If I close Reaper and re-start it, it loops infinitely on it's startup. I have to reboot the computer, and that again, will not restore the MIDI devices. Even in Task Manager or Performance Monitor, I can not close Reaper.

I installed the Nov 23rd version, it first shows all of the devices on each track, then hit play, nothing plays. Go in device manager, all devices show enabled. Hit reset device, takes 10 seconds. Then go back to the tracks and see the midi devcies, they are then all gone...

Last edited by jmorel33; 11-25-2018 at 01:18 PM.
jmorel33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 08:49 PM   #2
jmorel33

Default Crisis...

So I Uninstalled Reaper a few times and reinstall, I went back to version 5.0 and then up to 5.80.

Eventually I get it back running, it sees all MIDI device, I hit Reset MIDI Devices, and it locks there forever.

While it is trying to reset MIDI devices... I'm downloading a very basic virtual keyboard software called VMPK because I want to hear my modules piloted by the computer, so I try a virtual keyboard, and sure enough all my modules play from there.

I close VMPK, go back to Reaper, and close it. Again, in Resource Monitor, I see a Reaper task that is there stuck. I try to end it to no avail.

What I think is happening is Reaper is lost in the project settings, as soon as I load my old Projects and hit RESET MIDI DEVICES, it basically is stuck in an infinite loop or something in the likes. If I don't do that, it still does not play any MIDI though any device.

Last edited by jmorel33; 11-25-2018 at 09:00 PM.
Old 11-25-2018, 09:17 PM   #3
jmorel33

I managed on a blank new Project to map a MIDI device and hear it, but all my projects are scrap; no way to attach a MIDI device as it locks up the software when I Reset MIDI Device, or I get no MIDI I/O if I leave it as it was loaded.

It really looks like the Projects became out of reach for the software in the MIDI Device department...

It's pretty bad because it makes all the projects unusable now.
Old 11-25-2018, 10:31 PM   #4
jmorel33

I downloaded 5.963/x64 from the main page and I'm back with <no device> for MIDI Device on a track (any track). I have a total of 56 MIDI devices listed in the options, but I see none listed, and my whole project is unusable. Also, from boot, I can run Reaper only once, and close it. The second time I start it, it jams at detecting devices...
Old 11-26-2018, 06:43 PM   #5
jmorel33

My intention is to get my system back up and running, but without any guidance, help, assistance, tips, suggestions, I,ll end up skipping using this software. Losing projects, and having no way back to using the MIDI devices, is death to this software for me.
Old 11-27-2018, 09:49 AM   #6
ivansc

You didnt already try using a new PORTABLE install yet?

At least that would bypass your existing installation without affecting it and at the same time restore reaper to factory settings.

That way you can see if the MIDI device settings are restored from the old broken project and take it from there.

One other thing:
Expecting instant help from a global, amateur forum is a little presumptuous. Yes, we ARE all willing to help & happy to do so, but you don`t help your case by threatening to dump Reaper and flounce off.

Not sure where in the world you live, but on MY timeline your first request for help was on Saturday night at 19.28 & the follow - ups were posted at four or five early Sunday morning, then nothing til 1:43am this morning.

YES it is frustrating when, for whatever reason, you have a problem, but there is no point getting stroppy about it just because nobody answered you immediately ON A WEEKEND via the user group forum.

Anyway - rant over, let`s see if we can get you back to where you started.
One thing:
Once you have a Reaper install that works, first thing I would do is see if you can import either the last save of the project or the last backup.
Old 11-27-2018, 05:12 PM   #7
jmorel33

ivansc, you are on my block list... sorry. In my hate for you, I still love you
Old 11-27-2018, 07:40 PM   #8
jmorel33

I managed top have it working right now, in 5.963 except the two Dave Smith products that I have which are plugged in USB are not showing in the MIDI output even thoe they are listed in the MIDI Devices settings...

Maybe it has to do with DSI USB drivers...

EDIT; Actually the MIDI Sport also is not listed in the MIDI output devices too...

So all of these are USB connected, except the MOTU MIDI Express 128 also USB is identified / listed in the MIDI Device outputs.
Old 11-27-2018, 07:57 PM   #9
jmorel33

OK I think I am closer to the issue.

It is not really a Reaper issue, but a USB bus mixup happening inside the computer which threw off Reaper into a pretty severe fit. It's happening between a Tempest, an AS-1 and a Midisport 4x4.

I'll have to figure out what the heck is the story ...
Old 11-27-2018, 08:15 PM   #10
jmorel33

That was it, the moment I unplugged the Tempest and plugged it back, all of the MIDI devices show on the outputs.

That is pretty scary! The mixup I found it in Midiquest because it was still showing the devices but was not playing the right device, it was clear there was a driver issue at that point, some confusion in Windows MM ?! Then in VMPK I managed to diagnose the actual culprit.

I think really think all around, this was not properly handled in Reaper.

-----------------------------------------------------

Also one thing to know about this is; I keep an Excel chart of all my midi connections and routing, because Reaper actively looses them. So many times I had to reassign my midi out connections.

This time was the pinnacle of MIDI issues.

Last edited by jmorel33; 11-27-2018 at 08:21 PM.
Old 11-28-2018, 04:54 AM   #11
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorel33 View Post
ivansc, you are on my block list... sorry. In my hate for you, I still love you

Ha Ha! I took you off mine months ago! Life is too short, especially when someone needs help.

Did you manage to revive the projecrts you thought you had lost OK?

Alaso, it seems a little harsh to blame Reaper for not being able to handle what on the surface looks like a windows system hiccup.

Have you tried reproducing the original problem by retracking your steps and then when you have Reaoer not able to see the devices, seeing if the MIDI devices show up OK in another soft (plenty of free ones about) rathedr than Reaper? This could be real useful if someone else has the same problem later.

Last edited by ivansc; 11-28-2018 at 04:59 AM.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 06:22 PM   #12
jmorel33

Hey ivansc, I've opened up your post.

I'm not a big fan of this dated message board and can't put your questions here.

What I managed to do was get my latest project back up and working.

But it's very scary, because the MIDI output list often shows blank. Then, I click out, to something else, and click again, then it shows (!). Maybe there is a delay the pull down does not respect?! Otherwise, the devices don't get midi muted, so it is good.

BTW, Reaper really improved in the last 2 or 3 years, I like it. The tool is good, but I'm a b*atch to satisfy, yet the semi-old-skool way it works is fine by me, as long as it gets the job done.

So the midi device output section of the software to me is scary. If that could be as rock solid as the MIDI Device Manager layout, it would be great. Also, putting alias names is great, that works for me.

BTW I work with a team of programmer and I know how easy modifying one piece of code can impact a slew of other things... Eh!
Old 11-30-2018, 10:14 PM   #13
jmorel33

I keep losing the Toraiz AS-1 USB device on the track...

Clearly an issue ...

I know there was a lot of work done lately on the MIDI assignment portion of the software, but clearly there are drops here and there...
Old 12-01-2018, 04:42 AM   #14
ivansc

Just had a look at the quickstart manual on that synth. Since it appears to use the regular 5 pin din plugs for MIDI i/o Reaper cannot specifically identify it as what it is via those connectors. So can I assume (couldnt find a reference in the quickstart bit) that you have and are using a pioneer MIDI driver for the USB side of it?

In theory, if you are you should be able to ALWAYS find it in the list of MIDI devices unless you just happen to be using a faulty MIDI/USB cable. Might be worth trying another cable?
Also, are you by any chance using a USB hub for these devices?

Did you try my suggestion of a portable install? Any result?
Old 12-02-2018, 04:45 PM   #15
jmorel33

hey Ivansc,

About that Pioneer DJ Toraiz AS-1;
- It is a Dave Smith Product packaged as a Pioneer
- I use the USB socket
- I do have the AS-1 editor
- It alwasy showed up on the MIDI Devices in the Options
- Where it drops is in the MIDI out device list on the track (!)

It's only the only device that drops from there, also the Tempest, and the MIDI Sport 4i4o.

All 3 of those devices are fed by USB, but I also have other devices fed by USB, such as two MTP AV USB and one MIDI Express 128 and I believe also the Yamaha UX256.

Long story short, the place that it breaks is in the tracks on the MIDI Out Devices. Reaper has the tendency of playing around with that list...
Old 12-03-2018, 03:09 PM   #16
ivansc

Interesting. Obviously I don`t have the same hardware but I do have some similar stuff ( a mate in the next village has a Dave Smith synth of some sort too) so I will have a go at reproducing what is happening to you.

Assume since you didn`t mention drivers & I couldn`t find them on the product site that it acts as a generic usb device.

One other last gasp. If as I suspect you are using a USB hub or two, is it / are they powered or not & also are you using the various USB devices in the same port all the time?
Old 12-03-2018, 11:23 PM   #17
jmorel33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Interesting. Obviously I don`t have the same hardware but I do have some similar stuff ( a mate in the next village has a Dave Smith synth of some sort too) so I will have a go at reproducing what is happening to you.

Assume since you didn`t mention drivers & I couldn`t find them on the product site that it acts as a generic usb device.

One other last gasp. If as I suspect you are using a USB hub or two, is it / are they powered or not & also are you using the various USB devices in the same port all the time?
I actually am wondering, I'll have to look at that USB3 hub I have, if those 3 are connected on that hub, that could explain maybe something there. Yet, I find it bizarre that the Device Manager in Reaper shows all of them properly, but the track MIDI Device Output decides to hide some of them. Maybe there is a form of live detection that hides some devices. Sometimes the whole list goes empty, quite annoying...