Old 12-10-2018, 01:04 PM   #1
dhilgart
Human being with feelings

Default How to change a gradual tempo?

I've got a tempo map that is set to gradually change from one marker to the next. I want to change the tempo of some sections. When I do so, Reaper does not alter the tempo beat-by-beat or measure-by-measure, but instead either speeds up or slows down the entire recorded section to match the new average. My midi drums work fine, but my other instruments don't match. To solve this problem, I put in splits (without volume faders) every measure on the other instruments, and they now match up in time the way I want them to. However, during playback, I hear noticeable clicking every time there's a split. I zoom in super close to the splits, indeed there are no volume effects. I undo/redo the splits, and the waveform looks no different. But when I split and then glue items back together, the waveform changes, seemingly FORCING the raw audio to have some weird volume effect at the edges of the split I don't want. How do I make Reaper just glue the damn items together and not try to apply some smoothing algorithm (which is what I assume it's doing)? Is there another way to alter gradual tempo changes that can avoid this issue?
dhilgart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 09:25 PM   #2
foxAsteria
Human being with feelings

You need to read up on timebase:

"The project timebase controls how media items, track envelopes, and project markers behave when the project tempo changes.

Timebase beats (position, length, rate):
Project elements will keep their position and length constant as measured in beats. Media item playback rate will speed up if the tempo is increased, or slow down if the tempo is decreased. This is the default project timebase.

Timebase beats (position only):
Project elements will keep their position constant as measured in beats, but media item length will remain constant as measured in seconds.

Timebase time:
Project elements will keep their position and length constant as measured in seconds. Positions and media item length will change as measured in beats, if the tempo is changed. This was the default project timebase prior to REAPER version 4.25.

Tempo and time signature change markers have timebase beats by default, regardless of the project timebase. This behavior can also be changed in File/Project Settings.

The timebase for individual tracks and media items can be set independently of the project timebase. MIDI media items always have timebase beats (position, length, rate). The timebase for individual MIDI media items can be locked to a specific tempo regardless of the project tempo, in the media item source properties."

You also need to enable tiny fades and auto crossfades for splits if you don't want to hear clicking. Preferences/project/media item defaults