Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 05-27-2014, 06:08 AM   #361
flipotto
Human being with feelings

Default I need addll.zip file for dux install, please

bump
I need these add dll files for dux nlite, can some one post a link that works?
flipotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 08:58 AM   #362
bluzkat

Dude,

This post is six years old...

I'm surprised any of the links work. You may want to find another solution.

Old 09-04-2014, 08:28 AM   #363
aarronf1

Default how to add back on board audio

Hello, just installed xp nLited and what a speed increase, wow, very impressed. Can anyone tell me if its possible to add back the on board audio. I will be using a usb interface for quality but on board is ok for quick checks. I have got an xp pro sp3 disk if needed plus of course the nLited disk. Laptop is Dell Inspiron 2200 1.4gh 768mbt mem 80gb hdd Aarronf1
Old 09-04-2014, 08:41 AM   #364
brainwreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarronf1 View Post
Hello, just installed xp nLited and what a speed increase, wow, very impressed. Can anyone tell me if its possible to add back the on board audio. I will be using a usb interface for quality but on board is ok for quick checks. I have got an xp pro sp3 disk if needed plus of course the nLited disk. Laptop is Dell Inspiron 2200 1.4gh 768mbt mem 80gb hdd Aarronf1
You should only need to install the driver for the onboard audio. Maybe Dell has it on their site?
Old 09-04-2014, 11:30 AM   #365
aarronf1

Default sucessfull

thanks there brainwreck, never thought of that, works fine now, still cant get over how snappy xp is, aarron1
Old 09-04-2014, 12:23 PM   #366
brainwreck

Quote:
thanks there brainwreck, never thought of that, works fine now, still cant get over how snappy xp is, aarron1
I remember using it, and I though it was great. I only quit using it because my old machine died a timely death, and the new one came with 7, no xp drivers for some components.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:57 AM   #367
aarronf1

Default no video playback

hello, should I be able to play back video with my nLited xp ? I can get the video window up and sound is fine but no video playback ?? thanks aarronf1
Old 09-10-2014, 05:40 AM   #368
nofish

Quote:
hello, should I be able to play back video with my nLited xp ? I can get the video window up and sound is fine but no video playback ?? thanks aarronf1
Have you seen this thread already ?

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=82459

In short, try installing ffmpeg and/or VLC media player (if you haven't already) and then switch to these in Options -> Preferences -> Preferred video decoding engine.

I used the nLited XP for a long time and video playback wasn't a problem here. For me ffmpeg / VLC used to work better / more reliably than OS native decoding.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 01:18 AM   #369
Oliver_EST

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzkat View Post
Dude,

This post is six years old...

I'm surprised any of the links work. You may want to find another solution.

Very good idea in its time.
Can recommend someone a site where I can download a windows 7 or 8 who's also that this windows XP to be optimized for audio? In my case for DJing. Thank you!
Oliver_EST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 02:17 AM   #370
ivansc

Optimisation became far less of a problem from Win7 on.

Why do you think you need to optimise? Really low spec laptop, or something else?

P.S. If you really want to try optimising your system, Focusrite put out a rather nice little guide to optimising on their site. Dont have a link but it should be an easy google.
Old 01-19-2016, 03:13 AM   #371
Oliver_EST

Quote:
really low spec laptop?
YES
Old 01-19-2016, 08:25 AM   #372
ivansc

OK I'll bite.
What spec is your laptop including cpu OS and ram?
What are you using for an audio/MIDI interface?
What do you have in the way of big, greedy plugins, either FX or virtual instruments that you like to use?
Old 01-19-2016, 08:44 AM   #373
Oliver_EST

Laptop Asus X551CA-SX029D. Procesor Dual core Intel® Celeron® 1007U 1.50GHz, 4GB, 500GB, Intel® HD Graphics, windows 8.1 pro.
Console I want to mix with this laptop is Numark N4. Today I installed Windows 8.1, but when I use for example the effects, music on the console locks for 2-3 seconds. Theoretically, laptop configuration lends itself to the console system requirements. Basically, with Windows 8.1 pro installed laptop can not handle.
Link with review and system requirements Numark N4: http://www.junodownload.com/plus/201...roller-review/
Thank you for help!
Old 01-21-2016, 09:41 AM   #374
DuX

There is a very good Windows 7 x64 lite installation made by "Nil" that I use. Just try googling it and you'll find it easily. The installation DVD is ~1.2GB big. When installed it consumes about 3GB of HD. Windows system folder says 2.68GB. That's far less than the factory installation. He cut down on garbage significantly!

My goal is to use as slim Windows as possible, only for audio. I really don't care about anything else in Windows mostly because I use Linux for everything else, but also because Windows are simply not "appropriate" for Internet. You're playing with fire that will sooner or later burn you if you use Windows for Internet. If I could somehow squeeze Windows 7 into a 200MB installation disk, I'd do it. Unfortunately it is not possible, at least not easily, to cut it down so much. Having said that, this lite version work with Internet and "everything else" without any problems, except for the fact that it's - Windows. :lol:

You can also try googling just "Windows 7 x64 SP1 lite" and something will pop up. This version I use is tweaked nicely from the get-go, too, so you really don't have to mess with it much. That is, you don't need to apply any of the "audio optimisation" tweaks. Both work better and smoother than MS factory installation. I only had to disable several services that are of no use for audio, like printer spooler, windows update, security, wi-fi, remote desktop, system restore, indexing, workstation, server... you know - the usual.

Cheers!

Last edited by DuX; 01-21-2016 at 10:24 AM.
DuX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 10:17 AM   #375
DuX

Since you mentioned Windows 8, I have to tell you that I've been benchmarking different versions of Windows on my main computer, so I can be sure what to install on it, and Windows XP x64 easily won performance-wise. However, due to some audio companies not supporting Windows XP any more, I decided to install Windows 7 x64 because it won the second place performance-wise in my tests.

I simply made a "hard core" project with as many plugins as my computer can run and tried it with different MS OSes on the same computer. Windows 8 is the worst performer and you lose about 10% of plugin performance with it in comparison to Windows XP x64. Windows 7 x64 is only about 5% worse and it still works smooth enough [this "lite" version]. It's probably unnecessary to say, but I didn't even bother with Windows 10 after these results. Also, I tested Windows 8 "lite" version that I found, so it was nicely cut down, and I stopped all unnecessary services just like in other Windows. For an hour I believed MS has done a good job with Windows 8, before I saw it lose to XP and 7 with my own eyes, by what I think is a pretty big margin. 10% can be a really significant 10% when you're running out of CPU.

Cheers!
Old 01-21-2016, 10:34 AM   #376
Spacemen Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuX View Post
There is a very good Windows 7 x64 lite installation made by "Nil" that I use. Just try googling it and you'll find it easily. The installation DVD is ~1.2GB big. When installed it consumes about 3GB of HD. Windows system folder says 2.68GB. That's far less than the factory installation. He cut down on garbage significantly!

My goal is to use as slim Windows as possible, only for audio. I really don't care about anything else in Windows mostly because I use Linux for everything else, but also because Windows are simply not "appropriate" for Internet. You're playing with fire that will sooner or later burn you if you use Windows for Internet. If I could somehow squeeze Windows 7 into a 200MB installation disk, I'd do it. Unfortunately it is not possible, at least not easily, to cut it down so much. Having said that, this lite version work with Internet and "everything else" without any problems, except for the fact that it's - Windows. :lol:

You can also try googling just "Windows 7 x64 SP1 lite" and something will pop up. This version I use is tweaked nicely from the get-go, too, so you really don't have to mess with it much. That is, you don't need to apply any of the "audio optimisation" tweaks. Both work better and smoother than MS factory installation. I only had to disable several services that are of no use for audio, like printer spooler, windows update, security, wi-fi, remote desktop, system restore, indexing, workstation, server... you know - the usual.

Cheers!
Hi Dux.

All I get in Google is links to a russian edition. Is that it?
BTW, I'm in a similar position, migrating everything to LINUX except audio stuff. I'm trying the lastest Manjaro. What distro do you recommend?
Also, any links to security provisions in LINUX? You know, firewall antivirus etc?

Thanks.
Old 01-21-2016, 11:01 AM   #377
DuX

No, it's not a Russian Windows edition.

The problem is I shouldn't post any links. I can tell you that the full name of the torrent file is "windows 7 ultimate sp1 64 bit lite v7 by nil" and it's 1.28GB big. This should be enough, I think. [...try kat dot cr]

I recommend Debian and Ubuntu distributions with MATE desktop environment. Specifically Debian "Jessie" with MATE - that's what I use. But the entertaining thing about Linux is finding a distribution and desktop environment that you like, isn't it? However, if you're a Linux novice, you are better off with Debian MATE or Ubuntu MATE, as they're both easier to handle in my experience which is *not much* with Linux. Only 3 years. I haven't tried Manjaro, for example. The community around Debian and Ubuntu distros is very helpful. Linux Mint with MATE could also be good. I had not so good experiences with Mint distro, but that was around 2 years ago, and even MATE was more than a bit buggy at the time, so I used Xfce desktop environment until Debian "Jessie" got released last year, and MATE 1.12. These two are a very good and reliable combination!

You don't need to bother with security much in Linux, until Linux becomes used on a massive scale, of course. I do use a firewall, very simple one called "ufw". You can read about it here: https://www.digitalocean.com/communi...n-cloud-server Regardless what this article says [it looks complicated eh? ] it is very simple to install it and use it. In fact, it is already enough to install it and enable it, as it blocks all incoming connections by default, but you're free to configure it more securely and according to your needs, of course. This article will help you with that. I also installed an antivirus called ClamAV, but I haven't used it/needed it yet.

Cheers!

Last edited by DuX; 01-21-2016 at 11:12 AM.
DuX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 09:22 AM   #378
Oliver_EST

Thank you very much, Dux. We found that in this moment are available version 9 of windows 7 lite powered by Nile and have only 882 MB, which should represent a more optimized Windows than Windows 7 (version 7) whose kit has 1200 mb. I test it in a short time and come back here to conclusions. Dex, i understand that you still use Windows XP version which amended it in this topic?