Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

View Poll Results: Which one is stable and low latency in W10?
MOTU Micro Lite 0 0%
ESI M4U eX 0 0%
iConnectivity iConnectMIDI4+ L 0 0%
Miditech MIDIface 8x8 0 0%
Alyseum U3-88c 1 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-17-2019, 11:18 AM   #1
thefruitfarmer
Human being with feelings

Default Best MIDI interface for W10

What's a good MIDI interface that is going to be happy under W10?

Seems like W10 MIDI protocols have changed rendering my midiman midisport 4x4 redundant.

I have narrowed it down to a shortlist and made a poll, please feel free to suggest other models and comment on those I have suggested. I need it for a rack of 9 synths, some of which have been happy sharing a port so I am thinking a 4x4 minimum.

What does everyone think about using the LAN rather than USB? I read that it will be tighter timing with zero jitter and maybe feel like the ataris used to.
thefruitfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 01:36 PM   #2
carbon

What happened with the MIDI?
Midisport 2x2 is working here at least.
Old 03-17-2019, 02:27 PM   #3
thefruitfarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon View Post
Is it the anniversary edition ?
Old 03-17-2019, 11:57 PM   #4
thefruitfarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefruitfarmer View Post
Is it the anniversary edition ?
The anniversary edition versions do have W10 drivers but the midi man midi sport boxes from pre 2000 do not.
Old 03-18-2019, 05:57 AM   #5
carbon

Quote:
The anniversary edition versions do have W10 drivers but the midi man midi sport boxes from pre 2000 do not.
Yep that's it! So, nothing useful to share here.
Old 04-07-2019, 02:44 AM   #6
bcslaam

Quote:
What does everyone think about using the LAN rather than USB? I read that it will be tighter timing with zero jitter and maybe feel like the ataris used to.
I think LAN is a better way of doing it for inter pc (lan to lan). I've been using Copperlan for many years now and performance seems better. I havent bothered to measure/compare though.

All my keyboards and controllers have long active or passive usb extenders to the machine room. Once the midi from usb is in any pc then it can be shipped anywhere else with low jitter/latency. So in times when I need to get MIDI from the tracking room to control room I use a quiet lappy with midi/usb interface then ethernet or just one of my passive usb over ethernet extenders straight into a pc usb in the machine room.

Its a shame there are no copperlan to physical MIDI interfaces available anymore. iConnect have a MIDI to LAN feature on the bigger models that uses RTP Midid I think. Copperlan (free) has an awesome interface which I much prefer to RTP MIDI (free) or MidiOverLan (unnecessarily expensive)
bcslaam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 04:13 AM   #7
thefruitfarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcslaam View Post
I think LAN is a better way of doing it for inter pc (lan to lan). I've been using Copperlan for many years now and performance seems better. I havent bothered to measure/compare though.

All my keyboards and controllers have long active or passive usb extenders to the machine room. Once the midi from usb is in any pc then it can be shipped anywhere else with low jitter/latency. So in times when I need to get MIDI from the tracking room to control room I use a quiet lappy with midi/usb interface then ethernet or just one of my passive usb over ethernet extenders straight into a pc usb in the machine room.

Its a shame there are no copperlan to physical MIDI interfaces available anymore. iConnect have a MIDI to LAN feature on the bigger models that uses RTP Midid I think. Copperlan (free) has an awesome interface which I much prefer to RTP MIDI (free) or MidiOverLan (unnecessarily expensive)
Thanks for the reply.

I have just received my iconnectivity MIO4, so will be installing it soon enough and report back here when it has had a few months in situ.
Old 04-07-2019, 05:58 AM   #8
mschnell

5-pin Midi is so slow that I doubt that any USB interface hardware/driver will introduce any considerable latency.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 01:51 PM   #9
thefruitfarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
5-pin Midi is so slow that I doubt that any USB interface hardware/driver will introduce any considerable latency.

-Michael
That has not been my experience at all.
Old 04-08-2019, 12:24 AM   #10
Weienari

RME for Windows every time. They've developed their own USB drivers. My 802 is rock solid. Not cheap but if you want an ultra reliable work horse RME is your way forward.
https://itrate.co/

Last edited by Weienari; 04-17-2019 at 08:40 PM.
Weienari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 01:48 AM   #11
EvilDragon

Quote:

-Michael
Not latency, but USB MIDI does have higher jitter compared to standard MIDI connection for sure. At least USB 2 which runs on 1 ms polling timer, so you always have at least 1 ms jitter, but usually more.

I have 2x Alyseums and they work like a charm.

Last edited by EvilDragon; 04-08-2019 at 01:55 AM.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 07:28 AM   #12
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
1 ms polling timer,
This is rather exactly the duration of a single 3-byte Midi message on a 5-Pin. The USB hardware and driver can't do anything about that.
-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 10:43 AM   #13
ivansc

I`m about to start doing a bunch of live MIDI again. Looking for a minimalist laptop oriented rig that would give me one or 2 midi i/o in a cheap compact format, ideally USB2. I have already done the "$1.99 MIDI cable" thing & am hoping for something cheap that actually works. e.g. the £30-40 Roland one?
Old 04-08-2019, 12:11 PM   #14
EvilDragon

Quote:
This is rather exactly the duration of a single 3-byte Midi message on a 5-Pin. The USB hardware and driver can't do anything about that.
-Michael
Yes but nothing guarantees that USB MIDI will be polled exactly every millisecond, which adds to the jitter. It's very much true that USB MIDI (at least over USB 2) does have higher jitter than regular MIDI-to-MIDI connection.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 11:26 AM   #15
Oscar Myer

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon View Post
Same here... easy peasy setup as well.
Oscar Myer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 09:57 PM   #16
Swi

Default Mio4

I have a lot of hardware synths. I had been using 3 motu units but I always had the issue where after restarting my computer the next day after an overnight shutdown or just a restart during my work day the USB interfaces would show up in a different order. So my tracknames for my hardware synths were not always accurate. I resolved this by turning to ethernet based midi interfaces with the mio4. Because every midi port then becomes an IP address, they now are always where I expect them to be. Rtpmidi takes care of the ports on my computer. I could not be happier. If you use reamote on another machine or 2 you may create latency in the midi due to the bandwidth of you ethernet.
Swi is offline   Reply With Quote