Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 07-18-2019, 03:45 AM   #1
juliansader
Human being with feelings

Default "Create measure from time selection (detect tempo)" creates multiple measures[FIXED!]

v5.979 included this update:
Quote:
+ Tempo map: improve actions to set tempo from time selection when multiple bars are selected
which affects
* Create measure from time selection (detect tempo)
* Set project tempo from time selection (detect tempo)

Instead of setting a *single* measure as before, REAPER now tries to guess how many measures the user intended to select: v5.978+dev0604 - June 4 2019, and seems to prefer bpm's around 100.

This was not a well-considered update.

* The names of these actions refer to a single "measure", not multiple "measures", so the names are now inaccurate.

* The alternative action "Create measure from time selection (new time signature)" already worked perfectly well with multiple measures, so the new behavior of the "(detect tempo)" version is not needed.

* When a user intends to create a single measure with slow bpm, REAPER now instead creates multiple measures. Tempo Mapping - computes 2x value ??. If the tempo has more significant digits than are displayed in the Edit tempo dialog, it is difficult for the user to calculate the proper, slower bpm for a single measure.

* REAPER guesses badly: Even if the surrounding tempos are all 50bpm, and Project BPM = 50 in project settings, and I select precisely one measure, the action will insist on converting the selection to two 100bpm measures!

I therefore suggest that the action should revert to its original behavior.

Users that want to create multiple measures, should simply use "Create measure from time selection (new time signature)". (Perhaps the name of this action should be changed to refer to "measures".)

Last edited by juliansader; 01-14-2020 at 02:20 PM.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 06:51 AM   #2
juliansader

Existing scripts that use the "Create measure" action for tempo mapping will also be flummoxed by these changes.
Old 07-18-2019, 07:03 AM   #3
schwa
Administrator

The behavior of the action didn't change, it's just that the range of supported tempo narrowed from 20-480 to 60-180 bpm. We would expand the lower bound down to, say, 40 bpm.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:42 AM   #4
juliansader

There appears to be an upper tempo limit to the "Create measure" actions too: I have just been working on a Presto piece that goes above 180bpm, and couldn't use these actions for tempo mapping.

I suggest that the actions' original behavior should be restored, since tempos slower than 40bpm or faster than 180bpm are commonplace. Standard tempo indications such as Grave go down to about 25bpm, and as mentioned above, Presto go faster than 180bpm. Or perhaps the actions can use the customizable "tempo map envelope display range".

A related, small bug in the "new time signature" actions: If the tempo is too low, and two measures of double tempo will be inserted, the dialog box displays "Bars: 1" instead of "Bars: 2".

Last edited by juliansader; 08-07-2019 at 12:02 PM.
Old 11-29-2019, 01:04 PM   #5
Exhul

Is there a fix expected for this? I'm currently trying to make a tempo make in version 5.987 and this is sort of a hurdle.
Exhul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 02:45 PM   #6
Justin
Administrator

In 5.99 the range of the tempo envelope is used. This can be set in the preferences, or overridden by the project tempo envelope settings.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 07:10 PM   #7
Exhul

Default 5.99

Looks like its' working properly now. Thanks!
Exhul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 03:06 PM   #8
BigFella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
...or overridden by the project tempo envelope settings.
Ok, I give up, where?
Old 12-11-2019, 03:50 PM   #9
juliansader

Right-click tempo envelope -> Envelope defaults -> Tempo envelope range.

However, "Create measure from time selection (detect tempo)" does not work reliably yet -- it still sometimes creates multiple measures, even when the tempo of a slow, single measure would be well within the tempo range.
Old 12-11-2019, 03:58 PM   #10
BigFella

Ah, well hidden chaps and thanks, J, for that handy cheat

I did find that in the prefs menu but that's much better. Still can't find how to disable it, though.

As far as "double measure" errors, that's what I'm finding too. For what it's worth I use this a lot in a custom action:

SWS/AW: Set project timebase to time
Loop points: Set start point
Markers: Go to next marker/project end
Loop points: Set end point
Create measure from time selection (detect tempo)

...and it's worked well up to v6

Thanks a million for the help.