Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 06-28-2019, 02:56 PM   #1
Fabian
Human being with feelings

Default Strange stutter, worse with increasing ASIO buffer size...

Lately I have been experiencing a strange stuttering behavior from Reaper. When I hit space to play, Reaper immediately plays for a short time, and then halts and waits for what seems an equal time, whereafter it continues to play normally. There is only this single stutter, and then the project plays fine; no crackling, nothing, just that single stutter.

Contrary to what is usually the case with stuttering, if I increase the ASIO buffer size, the issue becomes more pronounced. It seems that the time Reaper plays before halting and waiting, is directly correlated to the ASIO buffer size; the larger the buffer, the longer Reaper plays and then waits. Roughly, at 2048 samples 2s, 1024 1s, 512 0.5s, 256 0.1s. At 128 samples it seems the issue disappears...!

Though I can work at 128 ASIO buffer size (Reaper plays fine at 128 samples, CPU is around 20%), I used to work at 512 with no stutter, and if I want to do video, I guess I will have to work at larger buffer size, so I really would want to fix this issue. Any ideas are welcome.

Thanks.

W7x64 on a dedicated SSD, Reaper v5.979/x64 portable install on another SSD, AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 8GB RAM
Old 07-03-2019, 12:39 PM   #2
Fabian

So it is only me then... No one else had this strange single-stutter problem?
Old 07-04-2019, 02:57 AM   #3
ivansc

Funny how its the opposite of normal. You didnt mention what interface you are using, which could of course be a factor
Old 07-04-2019, 10:31 AM   #4
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Funny how its the opposite of normal. You didnt mention what interface you are using, which could of course be a factor
The interface is a Lexicon Lambda. The strange thing is that this issue has just lately started. Previously with the same interface (which I have had for along time, just as long as I've been using Reaper) I have experienced nothing remotely similar.

And yes, it is very strange that the issue is the opposite to the normal case...

I'm thinking, maybe it could be a SSD read problem? Reaper starts playing, then needs to read in more audio from the SSD and this read is too slow, so the halt appears. This seems far fetched, but it is what I can think of now.
Old 07-04-2019, 11:24 AM   #5
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian View Post
I'm thinking, maybe it could be a SSD read problem? Reaper starts playing, then needs to read in more audio from the SSD and this read is too slow, so the halt appears. This seems far fetched, but it is what I can think of now.
The transport will often flash red if the above is occurring. I do know reaper buffers disk streams in 262144 byte blocks per track before it begins to play and thereafter, and it always caches a few seconds from wherever the playback begins. Meaning if a disk read issue, I'd expect there to be a delay when you press play but only the first time you pressed play from a particular position on the timeline in addition to what you are seeing. Also, unless something is really wrong with the disk, I think it would take a good number of audio tracks to start feeling the delay.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 01:45 AM   #6
drumphil

Does the issue go away if you go back to using the on board sound on the motherboard?

If not then the issue doesn't specifically relate to the Lexicon.

If it does go away then it's likely that it is something to do with the Lexicon, it's drivers, or the way in interacts with the rest of the system.
drumphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:35 AM   #7
poetnprophet

Ok, me too, me3. I just noticed this last night, but I'm getting a similar issue.

I have a Motu 828es. I normally record with a buffer of 64. I normally mix with a buffer of 512. I was working on one of my larger projects (79 tracks and 150 plugins), it started stuttering so I went to increase the buffer size to 1024, and the project would not even play (it played super slow). Increase to 2048, and even worse still?

I went down to 256, and was able to continue mixing, the downside is my cpu is now at the limit, a few stutters that correspond to maxed CPU.

I have not experienced this before, I have been through all of my preferences and can't see anything that changed.

Not sure if it's related, but same project also had some rendering issues that I posted last night, very slow rendering.
poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote