Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 08-21-2020, 01:01 PM   #161
leescratchy
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenarpharazon View Post
Try this to get your live mix going, and get started on a first track and bus design.

1. Use the MIDIMIX to control the first 8 tracks in a project with your delay/reverb send in track 9.
2. Set the first 8 tracks up with 4 channels and send channels 3/4 to channel 1/2 on track 9 at 0db.
3. Then use a JS 3 band splitter plugin with the crossovers at min/max to send each of the tracks entirely to channels 3/4 when fully wet.
4. Map the wet/dry of each splitter to a respective knob above each track 1-8 fader

So you have your 8 fader-controllable tracks each with wet/dry sends to a delay.
Plenty of expansion beyond this by mapping & routing channels like this for more complex effects, delays or arrangements.

This web page should be helpful on explaining such possibilities with tracks and links to Kenny Gioia's helpful video tutorials https://www.admiralbumblebee.com/mus...e-Routing.html

You really shouldn't need any Reascript at all unless knowingly pushing the boundaries of Reaper's great track & bus flexibility. Note that the Reascripts (like MPL's) run and interact very differently against Reaper, compared to an OSCII-bot script even though the EEL2 programming language is virtually the same.
OK thank you so much, can't deny that a guide for noobies would so very much hit the spot but I'll try to figure out what you just described

For that matter the $10 shipped APK case on aliexpress is spot-on :

A simple guide would also help making this thread grow because your script has been downloaded less than 900 times in 4.5 years, that's way too little for such a great mixer in such a great DAW.

I just wonder if this video in Ableton took so much fiddling: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2Roh_J2EsQ as I want to do the exact same things he's doing with 3 sendfx + fx return on master fader, that's the plan at least
leescratchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 01:07 PM   #162
billybuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by leescratchy View Post
I just wonder if this video in Ableton took so much fiddling: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2Roh_J2EsQ as I want to do the exact same things he's doing with 3 sendfx + fx return on master fader, that's the plan at least
I've used the MidiMix extensively in Ableton Live 10, and everything you describe is the default mapping except for the third send. By default, the top two rows of pots control sends 1 and 2, and the third is pan. Mute/record/solo works great--with LED feedback. The 8 channel rows are also bankable with the left/right buttons. No scripting necessary unless you want to customize those defaults.
billybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 12:19 PM   #163
leescratchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybuck View Post
I've used the MidiMix extensively in Ableton Live 10, and everything you describe is the default mapping except for the third send. By default, the top two rows of pots control sends 1 and 2, and the third is pan. Mute/record/solo works great--with LED feedback. The 8 channel rows are also bankable with the left/right buttons. No scripting necessary unless you want to customize those defaults.
That figures thanks, actually everything's a struggle in Reaper, the only things I like is the SQ and ChordGun script. I see that some ppl work the same tune in several DAW's, I might just do that as I was recently told on this forum that unlike FruityLoops Reaper has to be deserved and isn't "a flower you pickup". The thing is I prefer to make music instead of RTFM endlessly
Old 09-18-2020, 02:45 PM   #164
leescratchy

Anyone willing to make a clear tutorial on how to get MIDIMIX working in Reaper please?

And/or possibly a default preset tune ready to roll? This would be so good.

It seems that advanced Reaper users expect newbies to struggle as they did, I got a tune that needs to be mixed now and I don't wanna spend 5 days watching yt tutorials and struggle =(

It's all PNP in Ableton apparently, I wanna stick to Reaper but 910 downloads for the OP script in 5 years just shows how this is a flop and would need some user convenience to really take off

I would happily donate for that matter, just wanna mix this tune without the annoyance, thanks in advance!
Old 09-18-2020, 02:51 PM   #165
DarkStar

By no means a flop - that's 910 users who almost certainly have a MIDIMix controller.
Old 09-18-2020, 02:56 PM   #166
leescratchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
By no means a flop - that's 910 users who almost certainly have a MIDIMix controller.
910 downloads in roughly 5 years, that's like 15 downloads/month......Reaper is amazing and most likely also this mixer, with a clear tutorial or default track to start off all ready to roll it would be 15/hour or so.

And OP would get more donations for that matter, I'd happily pay to get it working without the learning curve huh
Old 09-24-2020, 12:47 PM   #167
goldenarpharazon

Default Simplest possible setup for newcomers

Here is the simplest possible Reaper Tutorial

1. Ensure your MIDIMIX controller is connected connectly and you have a working sound card output

2. Simply open Reaper with a new project and create 8 tracks ( just type Ctrl-T 8 times or alternatively use the menu [Insert Track] ). That gives one track per MIDIMIX slider track which fits nicely.

3. Allocate your instruments or FX or or audio/MIDI recordings to each track (do this as you wish for your musical use or composition or mixing)

That's it
goldenarpharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 02:14 PM   #168
leescratchy

Quote:
Here is the simplest possible Reaper Tutorial

1. Ensure your MIDIMIX controller is connected connectly and you have a working sound card output

2. Simply open Reaper with a new project and create 8 tracks ( just type Ctrl-T 8 times or alternatively use the menu [Insert Track] ). That gives one track per MIDIMIX slider track which fits nicely.

3. Allocate your instruments or FX or or audio/MIDI recordings to each track (do this as you wish for your musical use or composition or mixing)

That's it
OK thanks but your previous instructions sounded far less vague and more like what I would need to do.

This said, you seem unwilling to provide more specific infos so fair enough, I'll keep working on my current tune and then I'll spend 5 days watching yt tutorials as you wish as I've had MIDIMIX for a few weeks now but still didn't get it to work at all.

Last edited by leescratchy; 09-28-2020 at 01:30 PM.
Old 09-28-2020, 09:49 AM   #169
bobobo

it's no too complicated.

Provided you have the midimix plugged into the same Computer that run REAPER.

Step 1 : Prepare MidiMix device. Reset to default

THE AKAI MidiMix has to be set to default.
Get the MidiMixmonitorProgramm from AKAI
https://www.akaipro.com/midimix#downloadtab

Install it, run it , set the MIDI Setup correct (output to MidiMix) and select 'Send To Hardware'
This will set the device to default settings

Step 2 configure REAPER to use OSC

Start REAPER
Pre: an OSC-Device can be a MIDI-device, but not registered in REAPER as MIDI-device AND as OSC-Device.
So disable the MidiMix in the MIDI-Devices in Preferences. Right Click on it and set to disable.

In 'Preferences' and 'Control surfaces/OSC/webcontrol' add the OSC(Open Sound Control)

'Device Name' set to MidiMix
'Pattern config' select MidiMix
'Mode' to Configure device Ip+local port

Device Port 9000 Device IP set to same as shown in local IP (Your IP)
memorize this IP, you need it later on.

set hook at 'Allow binding messages to REAPER actions and FX learn'

Step 3
Get , start and configure oscii-bot

Get the OSCII-bot Programm from https://www.cockos.com/oscii-bot/
It has no installer so unpack it where you have access to it
REAPER'S resource path may not be the worst place

Read the readme.txt in the oscii-bot package !

start the ocii-bot Programm and have a look to the osciibot window.
it says Loading scripts from .
in this path you have to copy the MidiMixControl.txt
Edit the MidiMixControl.txt after you copied it.
change the line
@output OSC_to_REAPER OSC "192.168.0.6:8000" 0 0 // network address/port for MIDIMIX output from script to Reaper

provided your mmemorized IP (s.o.) is 192.168.1.17 change it to

@output OSC_to_REAPER OSC "192.168.1.17:8000" 0 0 // network address/port for MIDIMIX output from script to Reaper

in oscii-boot program kick the *reload Scripts' button
you'll see in the oscii-bot window what's loaded

Step 4 Have Fun

it should work now

you have to start oscii-bot before you start REAPER

read the MidiMix.pdf that came with the MidiMix101b1.zip
bobobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 01:42 AM   #170
leescratchy

Awesomeness, thank you!

But I still wanna do the exact same thing shown in that video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2Roh_J2EsQ with 3 sendfx and fxchannel set on master volume fader

it's pretty much all PNP in Ableton apparently
Old 10-01-2020, 03:28 AM   #171
bobobo

it is not too unlikeley that i'll find a little time these days to check it out. s.t. & greetings
Old 10-03-2020, 06:47 AM   #172
bobobo

so

i made a setup wth the AkaiMidiMix controlled via osc and all three
knob rows controls sends to a delay, anonther delay and a reverbtrack
i use a little jfx-mixer to accompish that.
Mute buttons work.
Fader work
the softtakeover works (maybe softtakeover isn't a good way to make this dub-thing as you have to wiggle first until you get the right spot to takeover)

i post a setup and morte instructions this weekend.

greetz
Old 10-03-2020, 06:56 AM   #173
leescratchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobobo View Post
so

i made a setup wth the AkaiMidiMix controlled via osc and all three
knob rows controls sends to a delay, anonther delay and a reverbtrack
i use a little jfx-mixer to accompish that.
Mute buttons work.
Fader work
the softtakeover works (maybe softtakeover isn't a good way to make this dub-thing as you have to wiggle first until you get the right spot to takeover)

i post a setup and morte instructions this weekend.

greetz
awesomeness thanks in advance you're my savior, I'll be sure to find a way to thank you we'll discuss this in PM.

I'm not sure what "softtakeover" implies but I'd need the master volume fader to be assigned to the fx return channel please.

I might also fancy assigning 2 sendfx + pan on the last knob but I guess this would be fairly easy once 3 sendfx are already assigned.

I'm sure you'll be fairly surprised by the end results as I don't understand why only reggae is mixed like this, my current tunes are anything but reggae but they'll sure get the jamaican dub treatment with spring reverb and tape echo

Last edited by leescratchy; 10-03-2020 at 07:04 AM.
Old 10-04-2020, 04:57 AM   #174
bobobo

i hope i've done it workable for you. Not the masterfaderthing and no pan knob anymore. Sending to more than one effect per knob is easy enough, you have to create another effect track and set the routing accordingly. Load the project and you'll see what my predeccesors above are pointing at.
The more i look into the video you mentioned the more i think there is more routing going on than in my projects. Track one has a kind of sweepeffect on one knob.

however, i "githubbed" and "paged" my efforts.

https://bobobo-git.github.io/AkaiMidiMixDubVersion/

please post here if somethings not working

greetings

Last edited by bobobo; 10-05-2020 at 05:06 AM.
Old 03-01-2021, 09:26 PM   #175
staticwarp

hey there, hoping to get some advice on setting this up.

I've followed the instructions in the MIDIMIX.pdf file. When I start OSCII-Bot and reaper, even if running as admin, I'm not seeing any midi or osc info being logged in the oscii-bot console.

One thing that's unclear from the various instructions and troubleshooting information is what IP to use for the input, ie whatever is listening on port 9000. Can someone please clarify? Here's what I have right now:

Code:
@input OSC_IN OSC "10.0.0.98:9000"                  // Input to script from OSC
@output OSC_to_REAPER OSC "10.0.0.98:8000" 0 0  // network address/port for MIDIMIX output from script to Reaper
Also, for the line referencing port 8000, should it really be followed by 0 0 ? Or should it match the setting in OSC setup in Reaper preferences?

When I load the script I get this output in the console:
Code:
===== Loading scripts from C:\Users\justin\AppData\Roaming\oscii-bot:

C:\Users\justin\AppData\Roaming\oscii-bot\MidiMixControl.txt
	Listening on '10.0.0.98:9000'
	1 inputs, 1 outputs, 2 bidirectional
But when moving faders, tapping buttons, etc, nothing happens.

When I use the Listen feature in OSC setup, I get the following after reloading the script:
Code:
/device/track/bank/select [i] 1 
/action [i] 41743
So, some communication is taking place when initializing the script, but no communication is taking place after. I verified that both oscii-bot and Reaper are allowed in Windows firewall. MidiMix is disabled as a MIDI device, and enabled as an OSC device.

I'd like to view some logging to get a better idea of what's happening. I noticed this post:
Quote:
one also needs to install the MonitorMIDI+OSC-IO.txt script alongside MidiMixControl.txt to monitor the Midi and OSC in this window. See the troubleshooting section of the user guide .pdf for the forum post describing this extra script.
But the referenced post (http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...8&postcount=11) makes no mention of such script. There is a reference to IOTest.txt, but the link to the file is broken.

I'd be very grateful if someone could help with next steps.
staticwarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 02:27 AM   #176
goldenarpharazon

Staticwarp

The IP address you have in the script is not the IP address of your PC or MAC so no communication will happen until it is correct. The IP address will almost certainly be 192.168.x.y where x and y are numbers specific to you. The Reaper OSC setting needs to correspond correctly to this IP address.

The Midimix script instructions gives a way to find this IP address on a PC otherwise an internet search finds how to do this.
Old 03-02-2021, 06:43 PM   #177
staticwarp

Hi Goldenarpharazon, 192.168.x.x is certainly a common IP address for devices on most home networks. Mine happens to be in the 10.0.x.x address space because my internet provider has decided to use that IP space. This has become increasingly common with Xfinity (Comcast) internet.

I located the IP 10.0.0.98 by following the instructions in the readme, using the ipconfig/all command. My computer is connected to the router via ethernet and has been given that IP by the DHCP server. The wireless adapters in this computer are disabled, thus there is no other possible IP address for the host.

that said, the problem matches your description - no communication is taking place.

This is why I'm keen to find the MonitorMIDI+OSC-IO.txt or IOTest.txt scripts, in the hopes that the logging will reveal the IP address that communication is attempting to take place on.

Last edited by staticwarp; 03-02-2021 at 09:41 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 03-03-2021, 02:19 AM   #178
goldenarpharazon

My bad for not reading slowly enough to spot a 10.0.x.x class A private address!

Is your MIDIMIX Midi input working? If it is not working, is the Midi output also not working? You should be seeing both Midi and OSC in the OSCII-bot console window? Nothing will even start to work functionally without a Midi input that reaches the script.

MIDIMIX midi input and output needs to be happening to and from the script. The OSC comes and goes from the script and Reaper, not the MIDIMIX. Start OSCII-bot before Reaper.

You should not need to disable WiFi or other single connection to your internet router.

Logging won't reveal much if something or things in the overall Reaper/OSCII-bot communications configuration remains incorrect. If the logging route could help then try adapting the OSCII-bot sample script "show-io.txt" that comes with OSCII-bot.

Additionally you could try the IP loopback address 127.0.0.1 or its synonym word as the text "loopback" if your PC is in reality in some strange network disconnected state.

Last edited by goldenarpharazon; 03-03-2021 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Corrected advice & added loopback suggestion.
Old 03-03-2021, 09:52 PM   #179
staticwarp

thanks for the feedback

I tested midi input and output on the MidiMix with Midi OX and confirmed that it is sending and receiving midi.

Using the loopback address also did not change anything.

To get a feel for what is happening I changed back to the ip address found in ipconfig /all and ran netstat -a. This shows all active connections along with their port.

I found this:
Code:
Protocol Address          Foreign address
 UDP    10.0.0.98:9000         *:*
but there is no entry for 10.0.0.98:8000, indicating that this connection hasn't been established.

here's how I have it set up:
Code:
@input in MIDI "Mix" 			       	           	   // Input to script from MIDIMIX
@input OSC_IN OSC "localhost:9000"                  // Input to script from OSC
@output OSC_to_REAPER OSC "10.0.0.98:8000" 0 0  // network address/port for MIDIMIX output from script to Reaper
                                                       // This IP address will be specific and need changing to your DAW  
@output out MIDI "Mix"                         	  // Output to MIDIMIX from script
// @input in MIDI "Yoke:  1" 			          // Test input to script from MidiYoke
// @output out MIDI "MIDI Out"                     // Test output to simulate MIDIMIX from script

@init
With this config, I'm not seeing any action in the oscii-bot console window when I use the midimix knobs/sliders/etc.

Trying to figure out why this isn't active: UDP 10.0.0.98:8000 *:*
Old 03-04-2021, 06:30 AM   #180
goldenarpharazon

This seems puzzling behaviour of OSCII-bot and the PC rather than the MIDIMIX script.

There is also still something incorrect with the MIDI from the MIDIMIX not reaching the script. That should at least be working even if there are OSC or UDP comms issues.

Here https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=210001 is another OSCII-bot logger that should of interest in that it shows the typical sequence of the Control Surface responding to the hardware device, which can be summarised as

1. Midi-in to Script from MIDIMIX h/w device
2. OSC-Out from Script to Reaper
3. OSC-in from Reaper to Script
4. [on some occassions only] Midi-out from Script to MIDIMIX h/w device

(look at the screen capture example in this post that is specifically for the MIDIMIX working normally)

The logging script also could be used as an alternative diagnostic for OSCII-bot itself.
Old 03-04-2021, 09:35 PM   #181
staticwarp

thanks for this! Very interesting - after adding this script, I started to get output in the console, but not from MIDIMix. I tried to post the console output here but the forum said it was too many characters. It was all boring anyway, I was mostly excited to finally see some sort of IO occurring.

One of the lines in the console said "Opened already-opened device propellerhead automap mixer".

After I noticed this propellerhead thing, I went through and uninstalled the automap crap that was left over from an old controller, then restarted reaper. Reaper then threw an error about not being able to find my MPK Mini Mk2, which has been connected the whole time I've been trying to get the MIDIMix to work.

unplugged the MPK mini, and IMMEDIATELY the MIDIMix starts working as expected with OB!

So I failed to do one of the most basic troubleshooting steps, which is to disconnect every device except the one you want to work, and work backwards from there. *Facepalm*.

After reconnecting the MPK mini, it started working too, but my interface quit working. I disconnected/reconnected that, restarted reaper, and everything is now fine.

What an adventure! Music production is not for the faint of heart. I was about to start a USB PCAP through Wireshark - I'm glad it did not come to that. XD

Thanks goldenarpharazon for your feedback and for the link to the script that was the key to figuring this all out. And for writing the OSC script! I have a friend who is also going to be very happy about using this with Reaper.
Old 03-04-2021, 09:41 PM   #182
staticwarp

now that I've got it working, I'm wondering if I could just buy a second one and have 16 channels of control. How could I get the script to work with 2 controllers of the same name? I've noticed that the MIDIMix is defined as "Mix" in the script. Where is this defined? How does the script/OSC/reaper know that "Mix" is the MIDIMix? If I could understand that then I could point it to a second midimix with a 2nd name.
Old 03-05-2021, 04:21 AM   #183
goldenarpharazon

Default Two MIDIMIXes together?

Great to hear it is now working!

Two MIDIMIXes should be feasible but it's not plug and play with the current script. The two MIDIMIXs should be given different driver names by Windows or Mac.
One would need to see how the MIDIMIX driver name changes to then match more than the current minimal substring "Mix". See @INPUT on the OSCII-bot code reference page. One modified & extended script could then control two MIDIMIXes.

Some other technical changes would be needed
  • The second MIDIMIX would need all its input MIDI remapping to another channel using the Akai MIDIMIX editor
  • The MIDI feedback output would also need to be sent to the appropriate device / channel.
  • The data structures used internally in the script for state, and to make instrument mode work would need to be extended.
However there are some functional and workflow design considerations for both mixer and instrument mode as part of any suitable modifications.
  • What functionality is expected on track banking across two hardware controllers for the buttons and sliders?
  • The banking buttons' indication would need some thought.
  • How can the quirky Reaper OSC "TRACK BANKING" be extendable across two devices? [experimentation would definitely be needed here]
  • The second device's master slider would probably need to become redundant.
  • The knobs expansion in separate banks across hardware devices should be relatively easy.
  • It would be nice to make it upwards compatible so that projects with existing MIDIMIX mappings would not be affected by the extension.
  • It would be nice to make it expandable for multiple MIDIMIXes for big desk emulations not just two.
That's a germ of an idea for an extension.

Last edited by goldenarpharazon; 03-05-2021 at 04:30 AM.
Old 07-26-2021, 09:22 AM   #184
borisssa

Default bank left and right just for mute/rec buttons

Hi guys,
the script is awesome, but I am having this issue:
bank left and right buttons are valid just for mute/solo and rec buttons, not for faders and knobs!

does anyone figured it out how to work?

thanks!
borisssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 12:32 PM   #185
goldenarpharazon

Default bank left and right just for mute/rec buttons

Possibly OSC is not set up correctly in either, or both, of Reaper and the script.

OSC messages need to go from Reaper to the script for the faders and knobs to work on the correct track.
Old 07-26-2021, 09:21 PM   #186
borisssa

Quote:
Possibly OSC is not set up correctly in either, or both, of Reaper and the script.

OSC messages need to go from Reaper to the script for the faders and knobs to work on the correct track.
Thanks, it worked!

B.
borisssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 09:32 AM   #187
FilterKnobber

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobobo View Post
it's no too complicated.

Provided you have the midimix plugged into the same Computer that run REAPER.

Step 1 : Prepare MidiMix device. Reset to default

THE AKAI MidiMix has to be set to default.
Get the MidiMixmonitorProgramm from AKAI
https://www.akaipro.com/midimix#downloadtab

Install it, run it , set the MIDI Setup correct (output to MidiMix) and select 'Send To Hardware'
This will set the device to default settings

Step 2 configure REAPER to use OSC

Start REAPER
Pre: an OSC-Device can be a MIDI-device, but not registered in REAPER as MIDI-device AND as OSC-Device.
So disable the MidiMix in the MIDI-Devices in Preferences. Right Click on it and set to disable.

In 'Preferences' and 'Control surfaces/OSC/webcontrol' add the OSC(Open Sound Control)

'Device Name' set to MidiMix
'Pattern config' select MidiMix
'Mode' to Configure device Ip+local port

Device Port 9000 Device IP set to same as shown in local IP (Your IP)
memorize this IP, you need it later on.

set hook at 'Allow binding messages to REAPER actions and FX learn'

Step 3
Get , start and configure oscii-bot

Get the OSCII-bot Programm from https://www.cockos.com/oscii-bot/
It has no installer so unpack it where you have access to it
REAPER'S resource path may not be the worst place

Read the readme.txt in the oscii-bot package !

start the ocii-bot Programm and have a look to the osciibot window.
it says Loading scripts from .
in this path you have to copy the MidiMixControl.txt
Edit the MidiMixControl.txt after you copied it.
change the line
@output OSC_to_REAPER OSC "192.168.0.6:8000" 0 0 // network address/port for MIDIMIX output from script to Reaper

provided your mmemorized IP (s.o.) is 192.168.1.17 change it to

@output OSC_to_REAPER OSC "192.168.1.17:8000" 0 0 // network address/port for MIDIMIX output from script to Reaper

in oscii-boot program kick the *reload Scripts' button
you'll see in the oscii-bot window what's loaded

Step 4 Have Fun

it should work now

you have to start oscii-bot before you start REAPER

read the MidiMix.pdf that came with the MidiMix101b1.zip
Thanks for posting this, your comment is what helped me finally get it fully working. The readme that comes with the script is not complete instruction.

-there is no detail for adding OCS device in Reaper
-no mention of adding the .OCS file to the Reaper appdata folder.

I am very grateful, but the instructions should include the extra detail that your comment provides. Thank you!
FilterKnobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 10:08 AM   #188
bobobo

Last edited by bobobo; 08-06-2021 at 08:44 AM.
Old 12-15-2021, 06:46 AM   #189
Russclaat

Default OSC failing to open Midimix

Hi,

I've been try to get this excellent looking utility up and running, but with only partial success.

The first problem is that I get an error message when I launch OSCii.bot (see attachments). Is there something wrong with my setup? I'm using @bobobo tweaked .txt file, but the same happens with the original.

The Midimix works, and the LEDs light up, but the FX window does not close in INST mode on the standard version, yet it does in BOBOBO version.

Lastly (forgive me, I am new to setting up MIDI controlers), how do I assign knobs, etc to Reaper controls? Can I use Realearn? Realean also gives me an error (see attachments).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OSC bot.JPG (41.5 KB, 188 views)
File Type: jpg Realearn.JPG (62.1 KB, 202 views)
File Type: jpg Reaper OSC.JPG (53.0 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg Reaper MIDI Device.JPG (63.9 KB, 185 views)
Attached Files
File Type: txt MidiMixControlAllKnobsNosoftTakeover.txt (38.3 KB, 191 views)

Last edited by Russclaat; 12-16-2021 at 04:34 AM. Reason: Update
Russclaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 04:45 AM   #190
Russclaat

Default Using Realearn 2 to assign mappings

Since the above post I have fixed most things, but now I am struggling to find a workable way to assign mappings. Realearn is not receiving from the Midimix.

I's like to create FX chains which are simply the FX (e.g. Delay) with the Realearn instance containing mappings for the Midimix. That way I can just load up the FX chain and instantly have control.

I like the extra knobs that I have with this setup, but am I missing a reason why Realearn would not be able to connect with the Midimix as an OSC device.

I've attached two screenshots to show settings in the last post. OSC bot is working fine and Reaper can see the knobs if I assign using the Action List.
Old 12-17-2021, 05:25 AM   #191
goldenarpharazon

Default Using Realearn 2 to assign mappings

Glad to hear you now have the MIDIMIX script working along with the knob learning in Reaper.

Realearn won't work with the MIDIMIX script without adaptation or modification. This is due to the way Reaper and OSCII-bot bind (i.e. fully and totally consume without sharing) each of the four current MIDI and OSC inputs and outputs.

These signals cannot be routed somewhere else (i.e Realearn) at the same time although OSCII-bot, with script modifications, could be used to duplicate, extend the routing with transformation.

Any of the following should be possible
- do more complicated mappings or functions by changing the MIDIMIX script (and do not use Realearn)
- use Realearn as a complete alternative to the MIDIMIX script
- understand the desired and expected signal routings, expand them, and make changes to both the script and in an associated Realearn setup

Using both Realearn and the script together is an advanced topic unless one has a good understanding of the desired signal chain and expected behaviour of controllers and the resulting functions. The Realearn user guide might help with signal chain explanation.
Old 12-20-2021, 03:18 PM   #192
Russclaat

Quote:
Glad to hear you now have the MIDIMIX script working along with the knob learning in Reaper.

Realearn won't work with the MIDIMIX script without adaptation or modification. This is due to the way Reaper and OSCII-bot bind (i.e. fully and totally consume without sharing) each of the four current MIDI and OSC inputs and outputs.

These signals cannot be routed somewhere else (i.e Realearn) at the same time although OSCII-bot, with script modifications, could be used to duplicate, extend the routing with transformation.

Any of the following should be possible
- do more complicated mappings or functions by changing the MIDIMIX script (and do not use Realearn)
- use Realearn as a complete alternative to the MIDIMIX script
- understand the desired and expected signal routings, expand them, and make changes to both the script and in an associated Realearn setup

Using both Realearn and the script together is an advanced topic unless one has a good understanding of the desired signal chain and expected behaviour of controllers and the resulting functions. The Realearn user guide might help with signal chain explanation.
Many thanks for taking the time to clarify these points. I'd like to stick with one or the other (script or Realearn). I think I'll try just mapping with the script running and using inbuilt learn in Reaper, then look at the script if I can't get what I want. Thanks to all you guys who post on here in such detail.
Old 01-09-2023, 10:04 PM   #193
FilterKnobber

Okay so my IP address changed today for some reason. I was going to ask why it suddenly stopped working, but I'll just post this in case it helps anyone else.

Also, I figured out how to assign send volume per track to the knobs - custom actions to first to select the track, and then adjust the send. Did anyone ever figure out how to do this with the banks?
FilterKnobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 12:37 PM   #194
Dubhed60

I hope I can get some help here I’ve been trying to make this work without success
Maybe I just posted in the wrong place. Thanks

Thanks to downloading ReaPack and learn I managed to make the faders play much better than with reapers relative values already.
I’m so happy with it and I’ve a lot to learn.
I migrated to reaper after 10 years of using Cubase. I’m still learning the ropes as it is.
Reaper is amazing, almost too many features.

Spent the last week trying to het my head around setting up Osc ii bot.
Made some progress but still some issues are preventing me from getting it right.
I know that the midimix is sending code one way but the opposite ways not doing it.
How did I come to this conclusion.
I opened the listen button, moved a midimix fader and saw the messages.

I will take a picture later of the screen shot so you guys can see what it says and maybe help me get it going finally.

I could just use learn but ideally I’d like the midimix to perform like it was intended to do, leds working and banks and send and all the other features that are not working with my Learn set up.

I found a txt file that says it can do just this here via osc

https://bobobo-git.github.io/AkaiMidiMixDubVersion/
Dubhed60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 08:33 AM   #195
Dubhed60

So I finally got it working unfortunately it’s slower than the reaLearn version I use. So I’ll chalk it up to experience and carry on as I was.
Dubhed60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 03:35 PM   #196
leescratchy

Hey good to see this thread alive, with a DUB script and all, yay

Kinda gave up on it as bobobo's instructions kinda felt like rocket science and was too busy composing tunes anyhow, but now is almost time to go King Tubby

I haven't really looked into it yet but I presume that script allows sending all 3 knobs/channel to 3 different FX(tape delay/short reverb/long reverb) and global fx return to "MASTER" sliider, but I would like to assign the "REC ARM" buttons to that sweeping "King Tubby's big knob"(emulated by Alborosie's VST plugin): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTaZFGwg2rY : ez-pz eh?
Old 11-03-2023, 07:41 PM   #197
leescratchy

yeah you see, someone else using plain switches for fx: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjnyQdpOovw

could we use "REC ARM" buttons to route to FX4 somehow please?
Old 11-21-2023, 01:12 PM   #198
bobobo

we can

https://bobobo.de/reaper/midimix_3_knobs_4_fx/
Old 11-22-2023, 05:26 AM   #199
bobobo

and another one
recarm toggles mutes sends with this.
actually i am too .. mentally incomplete, too dumb, small-minded .. to make the recarm led toggle with the sendmute-function. i'm working on it.

the reaper toolbar buttons (if you bring yourself to build it) will toggle.

https://bobobo.de/reaper/midimix_3_k...fx_recarm_ktb/

-----------
finally
here is a version that can do the led stuff correct, mute solo and recarm will do and the led will show it

Last edited by bobobo; 12-05-2023 at 12:11 AM.
Old 12-04-2023, 11:22 PM   #200
leescratchy

you da man bobobo, thanks a ton!

looks quite scary to setup but once you get the hang of it hopefully it goes smoothly, MIDIMIX is PNP in ABLETON, usually everything's a struggle in REAPER so I'm used to it.

BTW, this site has tons of legal reggae stems, REBELUTION's are quite fun, just the vocal tracks that are very meh IMO so you might as well discard them: https://songstems.net/genre/reggae?page=1

Mad Professor said that you can make a good dub out of a bad song so be it, main recipe to dub is set everything to the max -including feedback- and hear what happens

playing thunder sound fx during drops like King Tubby is always a nice touch