Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 11-13-2011, 09:06 AM   #1
influenced
Human being with feelings

Default how to install 64bit Reaper alongside 32bit?

Afternoon all

I'm sure I've seen some posts on this topic before but I can't seem to find it now...I have a Win7 64bit PC running 32bit Reaper very happily. The other day I decided to install 64bit Reaper, just to check it out. I installed it in the regular way (not a portable install) but ran into trouble shortly afterwards.

My audio interface is an EMU 0404 PCI (Win7 beta drivers). Basically, I tried 64bit Reaper for a while - no worries, worked well. But when I closed that down and went back to 32bit I had no sound. In fact, R32bit reported that there was no EMU on the PC at all! After a lot of sweating with no success I ended up uninstalling the drivers and had to physically remove the card. Re-installed it fresh and all was ok again, but I'm nervous about trying R64bit again as a result.
So my question is, seeing as the EMU seemed to collapse around / after using R64bit, could this have caused the problem, and therefore is there a particular method of installing both versions of Reaper on one machine?

Hope someone can point me in the right direction.
Cheers.
influenced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:55 AM   #2
bluzkat

You might have nailed it as a 'driver' problem. There are quite a few people running both versions of Reaper but its the first time I've heard of this happening.

You aren't trying to run both Reaper versions at the same time are you? The first open instance will retain control of the sound card.

Could you possibly 'borrow' a different interface and try that and see how it goes?

Old 11-17-2011, 01:20 PM   #3
influenced

Hey Bluzkat

Thanks for chipping in. No, I had definitely closed R64 before I went back to R32..... *gazes back into the memory banks and wonders "hmmm, are you reeaaally sure about that?!"*

I'm going to have to try R64 again (happily, I might add). Over in this thread: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=91313 , Richie43 has what seems like a very similar set-up to mine and has been successful with both bit-types of Reaper on his 64bit machine. I'm hopeful that the problem was a one-off but time will tell.

I've been pondering about getting a newer more modern interface, but the EMU has been a trusty friend, and actually sounds pretty damn good too. If it still works, I'm happy.

Cheers for your input buddy. Much appreciated.
influenced is offline   Reply With Quote