Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 08-24-2015, 03:52 PM   #241
reapercurious
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamish View Post
I don't think so unless the mode 'Freely configurable shifted' does something I don't know about.

One instance can play a sample over a range of notes, or velocity layer a bunch of samples, but that's it as far as I can see.

To have sample per MIDI note would require tabs in the plugin at least, unless they radically change the stock plugin architecture.
tabs!!
reapercurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 06:33 PM   #242
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by reapercurious View Post
can a user set 8 samples to play with 8 different midi notes in one instance of reasamplomatic5000?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamish View Post
I don't think so unless the mode 'Freely configurable shifted' does something I don't know about.

One instance can play a sample over a range of notes, or velocity layer a bunch of samples, but that's it as far as I can see.

To have sample per MIDI note would require tabs in the plugin at least, unless they radically change the stock plugin architecture.
Yes, Hamish is right, I think it would take 8 instances to do what you want.

However, it's really not that big of deal, you can use one track for all of the instances. RS5K actually gives you a lot of control. Unfortunately you can't control it directly with Midi Controllers. You can use envelopes for all the controls though as well as link them for even better control.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 02:22 PM   #243
hamish

I do think tabs would be an improvement though, if we're ever going to be able to create a detailed RS5KBass for example, with 48 mapped MIDI notes with channel=>string mapping. Tabs is consistent with the GUI in ReaDelay, where adding a delay tap adds a tab to the plugin.

In the bass example I would have 4 instances (one string->one MIDI channel), with 12 tabs each (frets 0-12) and 8 automatic velocity layers per tab/note/fret.
hamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 06:31 PM   #244
learningit

Default ReaSamplomatic for drums - Round Robin? SM Drums customization?

Hello Tod,

Thank you for your excellent work on the free drum sets Smith drums and SM Drums. Am new to DAWs generally and just learning midi. Newbie questions here...

I'm wanting to customize the drum sets and create some of my own sets from the many excellent free wave libraries, and am having difficulty understanding ReaSamplomatic5000. I read all the manuals more than once and its still not clear.

I think I understand it takes two instances of RS5 set to prob 50% and 100% where the first instance of RS5 needs to be set to Round Robin and "Remove played notes from FX chain".

RS5 seems to be playing more than 2 samples from a folder of 16 snare samples in Smith drums sample pack snare when set up like this. But then you are saying here I need 12 instances of RS5 to use 12 different samples in a RR? And why can't I just open one folder with 16 samples in RS5 and check "round robin" and have RS5 cycle through the samples? It seems like that would be a lot simpler than to have to set multiple probability layers of multiple instances of RS5 to get a round robin. And how does that work with the velocity layers in RS5? My understanding is that the round robin plays multiple instances of samples in a single velocity layer, but velocity layers also often seems to be used like a round robin for realism.

Wouldn't it be easier to set up each drum, cymbal, etc. as a separate instrument with SFZ designer, as far as creating the round robins and velocity layers, rather than having to use 12 RS5 instances to have a 12 sample round robin?

Further, when I set up SMDrums track templates I don't see the different instances of RS5 in the effects chain or how I would go about customizing these templates.

The whole thing becomes very confusing to me and it would be helpful if RS5 had a more thorough treatment in the manuals or a manual of its own. I'm using Windows 7 with 4G RAM

Is there somewhere on one of these threads where I can find clear thorough answers to these questions? Seems very time consuming to try and get answers to these basic questions by sifting through the forums.

One more question: is it possible to have multiple instances of the tempo envelope on different tracks? For instance, to create accelerating drum rolls without speeding up the whole tune - e.g an accelerating snare roll over a steady pedal hat using tempo envelop only on the snare?

Thanks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Yes, that looks pretty old.

Here's a post where Justin explains some.

http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...0&postcount=85

This is a picture of another one of Justins posts.

https://stash.reaper.fm/20355/Justins...r%20RR%201.PNG

As you probably already know it takes a separate instance of RS5K for each RR (Round Robin).

Here's a little chart of the percentages to use for up to 12 RRs. Note it's rounded but I think it will still work. Remember to check Remove played notes from FX chain on all but the last RR.

learningit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 09:40 AM   #245
Vincent Sermonne
Petit manitou

Default RS5K and aftertouch

how to assign the aftertouch signal with the sustain for make cymbal choked with a edrum and RS5K ?
Old 10-20-2016, 03:54 AM   #246
Vincent Sermonne
Petit manitou

Default layers values

It would be so nice to have an option for assign values to the layers.
For exemple I have 10 Ride cymbal layers, i prefer that the last layer have only 127 for value for have oly the "crash" effect.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:56 AM   #247
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Sermonne View Post
how to assign the aftertouch signal with the sustain for make cymbal choked with a edrum and RS5K ?
Hi Vincent, I'm not sure exactly what you're asking, but if you're asking if "aftertouch" can be used to choke a cymbal, I don't think that's possible right now. At least I don't think so.

Possibly one of the scripters could put something together. There are a couple of scripts floating around that will choke a cymbal, or maybe it's a JS FX, but I've never had a great deal of success with them, possibly because I didn't quite understand how to make them work.

I just use the length of the note to determine it's choke point, and after using for a little while, I've kind of gotten to like it.

Quote:
It would be so nice to have an option for assign values to the layers.
For exemple I have 10 Ride cymbal layers, i prefer that the last layer have only 127 for value for have oly the "crash" effect.
I think what you're saying is you'd like to have the crash only play with the value of 127, and then have 126 being divided up by the remaining 9 layers?

If so, I would like to be able to control the size of the layers too, but I've never found a way to do that.

I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:40 AM   #248
Vincent Sermonne
Petit manitou

thank you Tod for your answer, and sorry for my bad english !! but you understood me !
The other thing that I search, since a long time, is the hihat splash ! Do you know something about ?
Old 10-21-2016, 10:51 AM   #249
Tod

Quote:
thank you Tod for your answer, and sorry for my bad english !! but you understood me !
The other thing that I search, since a long time, is the hihat splash ! Do you know something about ?
Hi again Vincent, which hi-hat splash are you referring too. Are you talking about a library or program I put together?
Old 03-18-2018, 04:42 PM   #250
Vincent Sermonne
Petit manitou

Default up up up

Please allow me to re-launch this thread to hopefully spark interest in the development of Reasamplomatic and its complementary JS. I searched in vain how to get the cymbal choking by the aftertouch pressure available on the eCymbal, which work perfectly in other virtual sampler, and I'm still looking for the hihat slammed to the foot obtained by a quick release time of a cc04 pedal.
I made a series of ReaSamplomatic banks available on my site. I took the name ReaperDrummer, I hope I don't offend anyone.
Old 03-19-2018, 04:24 PM   #251
Tod

Quote:
Please allow me to re-launch this thread to hopefully spark interest in the development of Reasamplomatic and its complementary JS. I searched in vain how to get the cymbal choking by the aftertouch pressure available on the eCymbal, which work perfectly in other virtual sampler, and I'm still looking for the hihat slammed to the foot obtained by a quick release time of a cc04 pedal.
I made a series of ReaSamplomatic banks available on my site. I took the name ReaperDrummer, I hope I don't offend anyone.
I'm with you Vincent, I assume what you're mainly talking about here with Aftertouch and CC04 has to do with edrum kits. I don't remember the details, but I wrote a Konakt script for a fellow that had edrums and it was for CC04.

RS5K has the makings of being a fine sampler that would work for everybody. It just lacks a few very important things.

> We need to be able to do a "Save as" without re-creating and saving the samples used in RS5K.

> Currently there is no way that I know of to apply CC64 Sustain.

> RS5K is a huge RAM hog, it needs DFD (Direct From Disk).

We do have the various "Parameter" controls that can be assigned, but it would also be great if some of the common CC controllers were built in. Like CC7-volume, CC10-pan, and pitch.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:48 PM   #252
SMM

Quote:
> RS5K is a huge RAM hog, it needs DFD (Direct From Disk).
Tod,

If they were to add that feature (DFD) to
RS5k, I hope that it would be an "optional"
setting (user selectable within the plugin).

I have 32GB of RAM in my computer
and I prefer to keep the RS5k samples
100% in RAM. I also use Solid State Drives.

I have no experience with DFD, but I guess
that would be a good option for some users.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:45 AM   #253
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMM View Post
If they were to add that feature (DFD) to
RS5k, I hope that it would be an "optional"
setting (user selectable within the plugin).

I have 32GB of RAM in my computer
and I prefer to keep the RS5k samples
100% in RAM. I also use Solid State Drives.

I have no experience with DFD, but I guess
that would be a good option for some users.
Hi my friend, yeah, all the samplers that I know of that have DFD do have the option, as well
as the ability to select the size that you want to use. But really and truly, I've never had any
problems with pre-load buffers, even at 32kb. I use 60kb with Kontakt.

Last edited by Tod; 03-21-2018 at 07:26 PM.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:20 AM   #254
Vincent Sermonne
Petit manitou

Hi Tod !!
The cc04 which makes possible the various openings of hihat with a midi pedal is made with two JS made by jeffos and a midi mute group by fladd, it works very well even if it makes a little gas factory. On the other hand the cymbal choking by the aftertouch I dry completely. And I've been looking for a long time
Old 03-22-2018, 01:29 AM   #255
Vincent Sermonne
Petit manitou

Default XFade

I would like to know exactly what action and benefit xfade has in ReaSamplomatic? I think I understand but I'm not sure about its use.
What value would be recommendable? When should it not be used?
Old 06-28-2018, 08:51 AM   #256
Aeolian

Xfade is usually a stopgap way of looping samples that won't loop well, ie pop and click upon loop.

Drumkits rarely use this feature, it's more for strings and whatnot.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:27 AM   #257
Vincent Sermonne
Petit manitou

Quote:
Hi Tod !!
The cc04 which makes possible the various openings of hihat with a midi pedal is made with two JS made by jeffos and a midi mute group by fladd, it works very well even if it makes a little gas factory. On the other hand the cymbal choking by the aftertouch I dry completely. And I've been looking for a long time
Thanks to Tonton Darmon and his JS , choked cymbals work as long as you do not check the box "remove played notes from FX chain MIDI stream" into RSM5K. However, the round robin seems to be working properly. What is the purpose of this function?
Old 03-08-2019, 04:32 AM   #258
Vincent Sermonne
Petit manitou

up ! up ! up !
Old 03-08-2019, 03:45 PM   #259
Tod

Quote:
Thanks to Tonton Darmon and his JS , choked cymbals work as long as you do not check the box "remove played notes from FX chain MIDI stream" into RSM5K. However, the round robin seems to be working properly. What is the purpose of this function?
Which function are you talking about Vincent? Round Robins?
Old 03-09-2019, 01:53 PM   #260
Vincent Sermonne
Petit manitou

Quote:
Which function are you talking about Vincent? Round Robins?
hello Tod !
I would like to know why we should check the box "remove played notes from FX chain MIDI stream" when using round robin ?
I unchecked it at home and the round robin works, which arranges me so that Tonton Darmon JS can work.

Last edited by Vincent Sermonne; 03-09-2019 at 05:03 PM.
Vincent Sermonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 05:04 AM   #261
TonE

Otherwise also the next Samplomatic in the chain would play same note, so you would double note play. If you have 10 Samplomatic in the chain you would have 10 times playing of same note. I hope this helps.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 06:17 AM   #262
Vincent Sermonne
Petit manitou

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
Otherwise also the next Samplomatic in the chain would play same note, so you would double note play. If you have 10 Samplomatic in the chain you would have 10 times playing of same note. I hope this helps.
Thank you for your answer TonE!
This is what I also thought until I observed the activity of the Reasamplomatic by its "led", the round robin seems to work despite the box "remove played notes from FX chain MIDI stream" unchecked. Hence my question, what exactly is the purpose of this?
Indeed it is the midi signal that is filtered or not, but would the "round robin" box checked only trigger the audio? (thanks to the ReaControlMidi monitor.)
Old 03-10-2019, 10:18 AM   #263
TonE

Oh, then it could be round robin does same internally, so it means round robin is just another form of doing this. As a formula:
round robin = internal_check + random
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 01:50 PM   #264
Buy One

I wonder if RS5k round robin is supposed to be round all the way through meaning to consistently maintain the samples playback order from top to bottom.
Buy One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 01:44 PM   #265
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buy One View Post
I wonder if RS5k round robin is supposed to be round all the way through meaning to consistently maintain the samples playback order from top to bottom.
If you follow the procedure in this link, you can program up to 16 RRs. If you program them correctly, I think they will be consistent.

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=212
Old 03-18-2020, 01:06 PM   #266
Buy One

Quote:
If you follow the procedure in this link, you can program up to 16 RRs. If you program them correctly, I think they will be consistent.

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=212
Thank you, i knew how to set it up, with these values the sequence still breaks after a dozen cycles or so. And my case is not unique.
Old 03-18-2020, 02:34 PM   #267
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buy One View Post
Thank you, i knew how to set it up, with these values the sequence still breaks after a dozen cycles or so. And my case is not unique.
Aah, okay, it's been a long time since I programed them and I haven't really checked them out since.

Have you given the Sforzando version a try? Many people who have tried it like it and it's also go DFD (Direct From Disk), so it uses much less RAM.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=150868

Ha ha, I keep forgetting it's also in my signature.
Old 03-19-2020, 09:09 AM   #268
Buy One

Quote:
Have you given the Sforzando version a try? Many people who have tried it like it and it's also go DFD (Direct From Disk), so it uses much less RAM.
Alright, thank you for suggestion Tod
Old 03-20-2020, 11:59 AM   #269
a13xhp

Quote:
Aah, okay, it's been a long time since I programed them and I haven't really checked them out since.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=150868

Ha ha, I keep forgetting it's also in my signature.
I prefer to use TX16Wx over Sforzando because it is much more than just an SFZ player Did you tried it? The only problem is that the SFZ support is somewhat limited.
a13xhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 05:29 PM   #270
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by a13xhp View Post
I prefer to use TX16Wx over Sforzando because it is much more than just an SFZ player Did you tried it? The only problem is that the SFZ support is somewhat limited.
Hi a13xhp, does TX16Wx have DFD? That's my main support for Sfozando, but I agree, Sfozando can be problematic too.
Old 03-22-2020, 06:12 PM   #271
a13xhp

Quote:
Hi a13xhp, does TX16Wx have DFD? That's my main support for Sfozando, but I agree, Sfozando can be problematic too.
Yeah, version 3 has DFD.
a13xhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 07:49 PM   #272
Tod

Quote:
Yeah, version 3 has DFD.
What about the free TX16Wx version?
Old 03-23-2020, 03:26 PM   #273
enroe

Quote:
Sforzando is a little bit like Reaper: It looks modest, but it
works fantastically. Also Sforzando has the best sfz-implementation
(sfz 2.0+).
Old 04-01-2020, 12:51 PM   #274
Buy One

Quote:
We do have the various "Parameter" controls that can be assigned, but it would also be great if some of the common CC controllers were built in. Like CC7-volume, CC10-pan, and pitch.
So RS5k indeed doesn't respond to CC7 from item MIDI automation, huh, amazing
I thought i was doing something incorrectly
Luckily it at least responds to pitch change