Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 03-29-2018, 01:28 PM   #1
mcf
Human being with feelings

Default Win/Mac session portability: one plugin not recognized. Workarounds?

Having trouble with a VST (Blue Cat Gain Suite) not being recognized as the same plugin between OSX and Win reaper installations. It's free and avail here:
https://www.bluecataudio.com/Product...uct_GainSuite/

I assume the problem is in how the plugin ID's itself in each of its versions. What I want to ask here: is there some way to work around this within Reaper? A way to trick it, when it opens a session and can't find a plugin, into trying to send its config data to an installed plugin?

Posted about it on the plugin dev's forum here, got no bites:
https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewt...42294#p7042294

The text of that post:

I'm sharing a Reaper session back and forth between my 64-bit Windows installation and a collaborator's 64-bit OSX installation.

The gain suite plugin reports the name "VST3: Blue Cat's Gain 3 (Stereo) (Blue Cat Audio)" exactly the same in both Reaper installations, but neither installation recognizes/loads an instance of the plugin placed by the other person. That's killing the portability of this Reaper session.

This plugin has 2 mac versions of the VST build and 4 versions for windows. For our purposes we can deal with bridging 32bit versions, using VST2 or VST3, etc. Is there some combo of what he and I should install that will let us have portability?
mcf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 01:51 PM   #2
mcf

Here's a session with one instance of the plugin placed via each OS's Reaper installation. Windows one won't load in OSX and vice versa.

I could even open the session in a text editor and search/replace some data if that would get us portable. But I don't know which strings govern the plugin choice (the plugin name seems to already match).
Attached Files
File Type: rpp blue cat fx portability test.rpp (7.9 KB, 138 views)
Old 04-01-2018, 04:12 PM   #3
SonicAxiom

if this plugin is the only one causing trouble I'd simply replace it by the "JS: volume adjustment" plugin which should work flawlessly on mac and win.

Old 06-29-2018, 02:25 PM   #4
mcf

Thanks.

I'm using this to crossfade using a foot pedal, between tracks containing fx banks, for live processing. One track's plugin has to go up and the other's down, at the same time off the same midi values.

I first tried JS SwitchMix but on the mac it seems to introduce massive audio popping when it gets spammed with the pedal's midi input. I settled on that bluecat plug mainly because it has the inverted control linking built in, and then stuck with it because it has some control over the envelope shapes (which the person I was helping by building this realized he needed).

I'm very much open to any other solutions.