Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 06-21-2018, 07:24 AM   #1
spicicle
Human being with feelings

Default EZdrummer/Reaper graphics latency ?

If I have the EZdrummer2 VSTi FX window open on screen while playing a track in Reaper, the graphics are really jerky - both the Reaper play cursor and track volume meters, as well as the animated drums in the VSTi window, are really slow.

The audio quality is fine though, and the CPU loading is no more than 20%.

But if I run EZdrummer as a standalone Windows app, with some midi files loaded, the graphics animations of the drums are just fine.

I'm sure there must be a setting somewhere that would fix this, but so far I have failed to find it.

OK, so its not a show stopper, just a little annoying :-) Anyone else seen this ?

System: AMD 6 core Phenom 1100T, Radeon R7 200 graphics, Windows 10
spicicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 07:17 PM   #2
brainwreck

I can only say that I never noticed any weird stuff with ezdrummer's gui. Maybe it has something to do with the radeon driver. All my machines run reaper with intel onboard video.
Old 06-22-2018, 04:55 AM   #3
onewayout

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicicle View Post
If I have the EZdrummer2 VSTi FX window open on screen while playing a track in Reaper, the graphics are really jerky - both the Reaper play cursor and track volume meters, as well as the animated drums in the VSTi window, are really slow.

The audio quality is fine though, and the CPU loading is no more than 20%.

But if I run EZdrummer as a standalone Windows app, with some midi files loaded, the graphics animations of the drums are just fine.

I'm sure there must be a setting somewhere that would fix this, but so far I have failed to find it.

OK, so its not a show stopper, just a little annoying :-) Anyone else seen this ?

System: AMD 6 core Phenom 1100T, Radeon R7 200 graphics, Windows 10
If this is what I believe your asking ...it might be your block size adjustment...When I'm in overdub mode 256 the gui is close to being in sync...But in mixing mode 2048 there is a great delay in the gui to the sound....
onewayout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 07:20 AM   #4
spicicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewayout View Post
If this is what I believe your asking ...it might be your block size adjustment...When I'm in overdub mode 256 the gui is close to being in sync...But in mixing mode 2048 there is a great delay in the gui to the sound....
Interesting, thanks. My Reaper ASIO block size has always been 512. I just changed it to 256 and it has made no difference unfortunately.

It seems to be specific to EZdrummer, and only when the VSTi graphic interface is displayed. The graphic interface of their other product EZkeys doesn't exhibit the the same behavior when playing a Reaper midi file.

I will get in touch with Toontrack support for their opinion.
Old 06-22-2018, 07:27 AM   #5
onewayout

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicicle View Post
Interesting, thanks. My Reaper ASIO block size has always been 512. I just changed it to 256 and it has made no difference unfortunately.

It seems to be specific to EZdrummer, and only when the VSTi graphic interface is displayed. The graphic interface of their other product EZkeys doesn't exhibit the the same behavior when playing a Reaper midi file.

I will get in touch with Toontrack support for their opinion.
Thx plz let us know what u find out
Old 06-22-2018, 02:27 PM   #6
spicicle

I was in contact with Toontrack support, but they had not heard of this before.

I then tried adding a second EZD track and VSTi in the same project, and this worked just as it should with the same MIDI file.

Spent a long time comparing all the different settings of the two tracks/VSTs and they were identical in every way possible. Then deleted the original EZD instance and re-added in its track, and this worked fine too.

So I must assume that something somewhere got messed up, and simply reinstalling the VSTi solved it.

I should have tried this first before posting to the forum - apologies :-)
Old 06-23-2018, 12:28 AM   #7
ivansc

Apologies not needed. Someone else with the same problem will be grateful for this thread finding them a solution quickly.

what I love about this forum is that most of us who have been here a while understand how easy it is to become obsessed with your own problem to the exclusion of anyone else & forget there are others hanging onto the coat-tails of thise who already did that, etc.

I sincerely hope this forum never changes from that mindset.
Old 06-23-2018, 08:48 AM   #8
onewayout

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Apologies not needed. Someone else with the same problem will be grateful for this thread finding them a solution quickly.

what I love about this forum is that most of us who have been here a while understand how easy it is to become obsessed with your own problem to the exclusion of anyone else & forget there are others hanging onto the coat-tails of thise who already did that, etc.

I sincerely hope this forum never changes from that mindset.
AMEN!!
Old 07-17-2018, 04:06 AM   #9
force_redo

Hi Spicicle,

sorry for finding this thread a bit late (you were a week before me, by the looks of it)

I have exactly the same issue and flagged it as a bug:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=208496

In order to get it sorted, I also sent it off to Toontrack. I have to say I found their support a little lackluster. At first they didn't really reply, then they said they couldn't open my files and lastly they said they can see it on their end and will give it to the devs but won't give an ETA.

But something in there is broken...

Kind regards
force_redo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 08:39 AM   #10
VinGua

Default EZ Drummer 2/Reaper graphics latency

Anyone found out anything new about fixing the EZD2/Reaper graphics latency? It's been a couple years since I 1st encountered it... it popped up last nite so I thought I'd check the forum... Thx
VinGua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 05:28 AM   #11
adi_james

I have a similar issue when I add the Softube Chandler Germanium EQ to an insert slot. The Chandler GUI is smooth as silk and audio is perfect - but the Reaper GUI framerate slows to a crawl and the faders/knobs don't respond.

I haven't encountered anything similar (yet) with another plugin - but it sounds the same as you are seeing with EZ Drummer.
adi_james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 08:50 AM   #12
onewayout

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinGua View Post
Anyone found out anything new about fixing the EZD2/Reaper graphics latency? It's been a couple years since I 1st encountered it... it popped up last nite so I thought I'd check the forum... Thx
Yes, I found out if you put the RECORD button on the EZD2 trk during playback the GUI and Grid Editor will work in real-time
Old 01-17-2022, 11:46 PM   #13
ivansc

Interesting. I will have to go check this one out for myself! I beta for TT so I will talk to them about this if I can replicate it...