Old 03-10-2020, 01:20 PM   #1
Fergler
Human being with feelings

Default Scripted or plugin way to modify CC source

I have an Alesis Vmini with 4 knobs and it just occured to me today that maybe with a bit of finagling I could expand that as a bank system with either scripts or plugins.

I'd like to for example:

Press a keystroke or toggle through banks sequentially to set knobs to control kick generator envelopes
" to control individual VSTi volumes
" to pan tracks

The least effort solutions sounds like using JS to take the CC input (13-16) and reassign which channel they are based on an up/down trigger (either MIDI note or CC +/- of 64 movement). For example, my Vmini has pitch bend buttons instead of a wheel. I could then assign these as bank toggles.

Anyone know if such a thing already exists or if there is a scripted way to do this? Thanks

Last edited by Fergler; 03-10-2020 at 01:31 PM.
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 01:36 PM   #2
ThrashJazzAssassin

Check out my MIDI note-banked CC multiplier https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=216034

then try putting ReaLearn after it
Old 03-10-2020, 01:55 PM   #3
Fergler

I'd like to do it with channels to maintain some flexibility but yes that would definitely work!

I think in having some more time to brainstorm it and it's intended purpose, I am going to code a JS plug to simply change the channel after receiving a range of MIDI notes, because the intended purpose is to match my looper setup for my FCB1010 where I am sending MIDI notes to control Super8 instances. On FCB's bank 3 I have keyboard record/play, so if I touch any one of those I could have it change channel for the Vmini. Just quickly tapping a play on and off would do.

Even more thanks due though for introducing me to ReaLearn.. how did that go under my radar? Reaper's learn is missing so much and it looks like this fills in the gaps! (mostly.. pulling out hair any time I wanted to use negative values!)
Old 03-10-2020, 09:49 PM   #4
TonE

pizmidi midiConverter3 maybe? At least this can convert among various midi event types.

Example how I use it with hackey trackey and Reasamplomatic:
Reasamplomatic can not lay multiple sample on keys automatically, but only spread among velocities. Thus I convert notes to velocity, for getting this feature. This frees up my velocities. I add a second instance of midiConverter3 before the first one and convert velocity to anything I like, in my case I started with pitchbend, with a setting of 12 inside Reasamplomatic. Now I can play/edit notes in hackey trackey, hearing immediately different samples, based on note pitch, not note velocity, plus I can edit the velocity column to do pitchbend tricks, mainly pitching samples down, here and there. Simple conversion trick used twice, making Reasamplomatic more fun to work with!
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 07:31 PM   #5
Fergler

Got my solution!

No scripting necessary, although I did attempt to make one. Hit some parenthesis errors and pulled my hair out.

Found an elegant plugin only solution using 2 piz programs:

First,

midiNotesToCC to convert ranges of notes from my FCB1010 to CC values which I used the three sliders for high, low, and rest to set the CC's value and set the CC number to 13. I repeated this for all my FCB banks, changing the high low and rest values to fall somewhere in the first 6 ranges of percent of 128/17. (16 channels and "All" in Midi Tool v2's output channel.

Now when I hit FCB buttons the output channel on the Alesis Vmini control track changes. So now I just send out the CCs on different channels to the various looper tracks.

Next,

I was able to expand the 4 knobs to another 4 using modwheel, which on the Alesis is a button, parameter modulating the bypass on Piz's midi16Router to convert those CC's to other CC's before they're sent. I can do this again if I want using ReaControlMidi to convert the pitchwheel to another CC.

Example workflow:

Using my mic in the looper I can use the far right 2 knobs to change pan and volume of the mic send to my looper set up. Hold mod wheel to change to other bank of knobs to adjust the overall volume of the looper's mic tracks.

Then I lay down some drums, after pressing the loop record for a drum track the knobs purpose will change to be useful for drums...

I am very happy to add this level of complexity to the setup
Old 03-18-2020, 10:30 PM   #6
TonE

Cool, there is also pizmidi midiConverter3.

If you want to do such things outside your DAW, sometimes useful, sendmidi and receivemidi can be very useful, both command line, linux,mac,win.

https://github.com/gbevin/SendMIDI
https://github.com/gbevin/ReceiveMIDI

With receivemidi you can run even any script via incoming midi events. Starting programs or any bash script via your midi keyboard or sequencer. Where could this be useful: Control of rgb colors via notes, if your rgb qwerty keyboard has command line program which can control its colors. And those exist.

Use the highest or lowest certain keys in your keyboard for doing extra stuff in your computer you need often, make a script for it and trigger them, e.g. switching between different windows/programs.
Example: Some external sequencer like Sequetron, some lua plugin window like hackey trackey or hackey patterns and some daw window like Reaper. 3 highest black keys on my midi keyboard could switch then quickly among sequetron, hackey trackey and reapers arrange context, for example. Very powerful, infinite possibilities.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 11:34 PM   #7
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergler View Post
Anyone know if such a thing already exists or if there is a scripted way to do this? Thanks
Did you check out ReaPack ? You'll find Several Midi CC converters.

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 11:06 PM   #8
Fergler

Midi to CC is the easy part, it was the switching based on given criteria that was difficult
Old 03-19-2020, 11:19 PM   #9
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergler View Post
Midi to CC is the easy part, it was the switching based on given criteria that was difficult
A lot of those tools are provided in ReaPack.
-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 09:07 PM   #10
Fergler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
A lot of those tools are provided in ReaPack.
-Michael
I wasn't able to find one. To clarify, what I have several instances of the piz plugin doing is:

FCB1010 input track
Notes 11-20 -> CC 110, value 8
Notes 21-30 -> CC 110, value 13
Notes 31-40 -> CC 110, value 19
etc

CC 110 is then linked to a MIDI Tool II to change the output channel of a track with the Alesis VMini on it, changing the destination the knobs are going to as I've routed each channel to different tracks.

Then I've used his MIDI16CCRouter to direct these CC knobs to different #s, param modulated the bypass on them to respond to sustain button and mod wheel button on the Vmini, so if I hold those I get a different set of CC#s from the knobs.