Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 03-29-2014, 11:49 AM   #1
Lux
Human being with feelings

Default Midi Controller Keyboard in Reaper

This has probably been done before but I'm having issues setting up my midi controller keyboard with Reaper and using it.

Details;

I'm using a M-Audio Oxygen 61 midi keyboard (not the latest model the one before it, link at the bottom), and its connected to my laptop using USB in the back of the keyboard to USB in the laptop. When I open Reaper and go to preferences, under midi devices, my Oxygen 61 appears fine. I've got it enabled on input and I can find and select it on the track input midi settings, so that its linked to the track. Okay so here's the problem, I've got it connected and Reaper recognizes it, but when I go to FX and go to VSTi and choose either Reasynth or Addictive Keys (these are the only two piano plug ins I have)and then press a key on my Oxygen 61 no sound comes out.

I do know that there is no sound in midi, its just signals and you need a VSTi to understand those signals so you can hear something, but no matter what VSTi I use whenever I press a key on my Oxygen 61 I cant hear a thing. Also on the track signal (where it tells you if your peaking or not, and where it shows colours fluctuating when music is played) there is nothing. No activity or movement there.

I've tried downloading ASIO4ALL but when I change the Audio System the only option is ASIO and when I try and change the ASIO Driver the only option for ASIO is ASIO UX1 and not ASIO4ALL. (Yes I'm doing this as an Administrator)

Please help me out, if you don't mind replying in laymen's terms as I'm still getting used to reaper and I'm not that great with laptops and computers

M-Audio Oxygen 61 Midi Controller Keyboard http://maudio.be/usbkeyboards/maudiooxygen61.php
Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 01:29 PM   #2
DarkStar

Hello Lux and welcome to these forums. You'll find many helpful people here and a lot of useful information.

OK so you have enabled the keyboard in Reaper's Preferences as an MIDI Input device.

To use it on a track:
(a) arm the track for recording, by clicking the red RecArm button
(b) select the keyboard as the input device in the drop-down box on the third line of controls in the track header
(c) make sure that Input Monitoring is enabled (the small speaker icon on the third line should be green)
(d) when you play the keyboard you should see the MIDI indicators in the track meter and hear some sounds

Stick with the Oxygen drivers, no need for ASIO4All
Attached Images
File Type: png MIDI_Connect.png (11.8 KB, 2961 views)
Old 03-29-2014, 03:47 PM   #3
DarkStar

Hard to tell without more info.

Are you sure they are sending MIDI notes? Can you Record them and look at them in the MIDI Editor.

Or, add the MIDI Track Controls" to the track (right-click the track header for the menu), open the Logger and look at the MIDI notes in there.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:20 AM   #4
keyman

Default Oxygen keyboard keys

Quote:
To use it on a track:
(a) arm the track for recording, by clicking the red RecArm button
(b) select the keyboard as the input device in the drop-down box on the third line of controls in the track header
(c) make sure that Input Monitoring is enabled (the small speaker icon on the third line should be green)
(d) when you play the keyboard you should see the MIDI indicators in the track meter and hear some sounds
Thanks for this thread. The transport controls now work on my O2/25, but having done as you outline above, I do not hear any sounds or see any indications in (d) above. Blank blocks appear in the track as I "record", but they do not play back any sound. What am I missing? Also can I play the keyboard (for practice) without turning on recording?
keyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 09:42 AM   #5
TheMaartian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux View Post
Thank you!!!

I just have one other question if thats okay, i hvae an Oxygen 61 however when i play the about 8 of the highest keys dont make any noise??
Look for the Octave+ and Octave- (Oct+, Oct-; however they're labeled). Pressing them will move the keyboard mapping (your 61 keys to the standard 88 keys) up or down an octave, each time you press the corresponding key.

Last edited by TheMaartian; 05-20-2015 at 02:30 PM.
TheMaartian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:26 AM   #6
DarkStar

Hello keyman and TheMaartian and welcome to these forums. You'll find many helpful people here and a lot of useful information. Make sure that you get the excellent User Guide too:
http://www.cockos.com/reaper/userguide.php

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyman View Post
Thanks for this thread. The transport controls now work on my O2/25, but having done as you outline above, I do not hear any sounds or see any indications in (d) above. Blank blocks appear in the track as I "record", but they do not play back any sound. What am I missing? Also can I play the keyboard (for practice) without turning on recording?
(a) No sound? Just to check, you did load an instrument plug-in onto the track, didn't you? And, if appropriate, is it "listening" to the same MIDI channel as the notes from your keyboard?
(b) Play without recording? Yes, right-click the RecArm button and select "Record disable (Input Monitoring only)".
Old 05-20-2015, 03:21 PM   #7
keyman

Default Oxygen keyboard keys

Well, I had not loaded an instrument, but now I have, thanks. I loaded Cockos ReaSynth as that is all I have, though would prefer a bass. Now I can see indications of input signal in the meter box - but nothing recorded or heard.
I cannot find where to verify that the instrument I loaded is "listening" to the same channel. Could you point me to that, please?
- keyman.
Old 05-21-2015, 02:00 AM   #8
DarkStar

ReaSynth listens to all MIDI channels; I mentioned it in case you were using something like Kontakt or SampleTank 3.

Double-check that you did all the steps listed above.

Exactly what indication do you see in the meter? A small red square and line, as above, are the indicators for incoming MIDI. If they are there you should be able to Record that MIDI (and hear some sounds from ReaSynth.

Try the attached test project.

As for bass sounds and other goodies to get you started , check out the free plug-in threads. Have a look at technogremlin's Freeware List
.... also
The Good Free Effect Plug-in Thread
http://bedroomproducersblog.com/free-vst-plugins/
http://www.meldaproduction.com/plugi...eEffectsBundle
http://www.voxengo.com/group/free-vst-plugins/
http://www.bluecataudio.com/Products..._FreewarePack/
CM Studio plug-ins (there's even more than are listed there)
Attached Files
File Type: rpp ReaSynth_test.RPP (2.8 KB, 410 views)
Old 05-21-2015, 05:28 AM   #9
keyman

Default Oxygen 25

Thank you, DarkStar.
It is working now, following your directions. (I simply rebooted, and restarted Reaper, the oldest fix).
Now I am going to look through some of your references.

(Oh, to answer your question, the input indication I see in the status box is a sort of small horizontal graphical VU-meter moving bar, in red).

Thanks again! :-)
-keyman

Last edited by keyman; 05-21-2015 at 05:33 AM.