Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 12-31-2014, 01:33 AM   #1
ProfRhino
Human being with feelings

Default ... a tricky one for the NI experts

Hi folks,
since I own Komplete 2 - 9 (inKomplete, not Ultimate ), there's also Elektrik Piano 1.5 installed (W7Pro64).
All the legacy stuff including freaks like Spektral Delay or Vokator works fine, so does Elektrik Piano 1.
Elektrik Piano 1.5 however refuses to run, even though the Surveillance Center shows that it's properly authorized.
According to NI you can load the EP1.5 patches in Kontakt, you can, but they run in demo mode.
Standalone you see the patches but can't load them, the info screen shows it's fully authorized, library path is correct and I have manually copied the 3 .nks files to the proper location inside the library folder as has been suggested (they were indeed missing), they are byte-identical to the CD.

NI support has ended years ago, the forums show many posts with the identical issue, but no solution afaics.
Anybody got an idea ?

sure, I have the Scarbees and others, so it's not the end of the world, but hey, my DAW is 97% bug free (not counting the program bugs), and I'm always chasing those missing 3% ...

any help appreciated,
thanks and a happy new year,
Rhino
ProfRhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 01:36 AM   #2
EvilDragon

Would love to help but I don't have Elektrik Piano...

However, AFAIK the old NI registration scheme consisted of a Registration Tool, in which you needed to authorize your installation. I think the same is true for Elektrik Piano. So, even though Service Center shows that it's authorized, if Registration Tool wasn't run, there might be some registry data missing. That tool should be somewhere on the discs. Run it, register, see what happens.
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 02:05 AM   #3
ProfRhino

Hi ED,
man, you're quick !
I'll see if I can find that tool, or else do a reinstall of EP1.5 from the Komplete disks, that should trigger the old registration tool if applicable.
Since it shows up registered I have only run the latest update so far.
Thanks for your help, I'll report back !
cheers,
Rhino
Old 12-31-2014, 02:15 AM   #4
ivansc

FWIW I am a b4II user.

It too was discontinued, but I have reinstalled it on every build I have done since then. Currently working just fine in Win8.1 although it claims to be working in demo mode!

IF you get a not registered/demo only message. try ignoring it and just running the plug as though it were registered and authorised. Mine worked, yours might too.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 02:48 AM   #5
EvilDragon

That tool should be on the DVD itself, somewhere. Don't think you need to reinstall. But sure, that might also be worth a shot.
Old 12-31-2014, 02:56 AM   #6
Win Conway

If it doesn't work as paid for, then download a torrent of it that is already registration removed.
German company governed by European law, if it doesn't work as advertised and they are unprepared to fix it, you can basically use any means you like personally to get it working
You would need to check how they worded their support for particular OS though
Old 12-31-2014, 03:10 AM   #7
EvilDragon

Well, that doesn't apply for discontinued software. They discontinued support for Elektrik Piano ages ago, they're not required by any law to fix it or keep it up to date.
Old 12-31-2014, 03:12 AM   #8
ProfRhino

Hi ivansc,
hey, that's a radical concept, but it might actually apply to the EP1.5 patches in K5, only saw the <Demo Mode> behind the patch name, have not tried if it actually times out.
Gonna feed it a Midi loop and let it run for a while ...
If the patches work correctly in K5 all is well, don't need that old standalone/plugin format, and I could live with a fake Demo message.

Btw re your B4-II, mine works fine in W7/64, not as Demo, same for the original B4. It's been a while, but I vaguely remember having some problems with getting tone wheels recognized or something, never had an issue since.

thanks for chiming in,
Rhino
Old 12-31-2014, 03:18 AM   #9
ProfRhino

Hi everybody,
I'll be at the DAW in the afternoon (gotta finish some ultra-last minute paperwork for 2014 first ), I'll report back once I know more.
thanks for all your friendly help, great community !
Rhino
Old 12-31-2014, 04:52 AM   #10
DarkStar

On Windows 7 Home, 64-bit:

... Big pic: https://i.imgur.com/FnWUPrt.png

And they show up as a Library in Kontakt.

Installed as part of Komplete 5, and, if I recall correctly, using the Service Centre offline Authorisation.

Last edited by DarkStar; 12-31-2014 at 05:13 AM.
DarkStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 05:07 AM   #11
whiteaxxxe
Banned

Germany/Europe: if you have a paid (needs not to be registered, can be) copy of any software in your possesion/have the right to use it you are entitled to run a cracked version legally, if the cracked version is the same or under your paid copy and you use the cracked version accordingly to the end user agreement of your paid copy. means: if you have paid for it to run on one computer at the same time, so has the crack to be installed.

I dont know if it is still the case, but years ago when Cubase was suffering of performance due to the then actual copy-protection, there were studios that had a paid license and ran the crack. because the crack was way better in terms of performance.

I mean, who cares. you have paid for it, then if you can get it to run so that you can use it its your decision. you have stolen nothing and you are entitled to make use of what you paid for. thats the way courts see it.

I have B4II and FM7 in use and if the things from NI wont work I wouldnt hesitate to go to a torrent site ... because in this cases that would be absolute ok. although I am glad that these 2 especially work without any problem with W7, and they dont work in demo mode. that is probably because the old resgistration tool is in the archives. so the thing with that is worth a try. if you have the software paid for and registered @ NI maybe if you dont find that tool on your DVDs you can get at least that out of a torrent.
whiteaxxxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 06:30 AM   #12
ProfRhino

Ok, quick update :
I know a bit more now, but the issue is still not resolved.
- the demo mode in K5 does in fact krap out after a while.
Clicking the "activate now" button gives you the message "this library can't be activated". Yeah, right. Klever.
- good call about the activation tool, but that was apparently for earlier versions, like Pro5 or stuff. Bummer, would have been an elegant fix.
- I tried installing EP1.5 (clean) from Komplete 5 on my office PC while doing my paperwork, it runs ok here, W7Pro64 too, just like DarkStar said.
Didn't bother installing Kontakt5, the EP setup alone took more than 30mins to unpack that 2Gb monolithic installer (library not included), install EP and a nonfunctional Surveillance Center. Great Koncept.
- then, in the studio, while checking the library thing, I discovered I had left out Komplete 5 back when installing chronologically, simply ran the relevant updaters on Komplete 4, iirc to avoid another senseless mega-installer, and proceeded directly to Komplete 6 which had some new stuff. Should be the same in theory, but apparently it's not.
So now I'm once more waiting for that blasted monolith to unpack, on the DAW this time. It's not so much about the piano anymore, I need to fix this thing before 2015, it's more like a duel situation by now ...
thanks again to everybody,
to be continued ...
Rhino
Old 12-31-2014, 07:03 AM   #13
EvilDragon

Sounds like something definitely got messed up in the registry there. You skipping Komplete 5 installer might have something to do with it...
Old 12-31-2014, 07:40 AM   #14
Giano
Banned

You talk about downloading cracked versions as if you ´d talk about drinking water - just a normal thing !?

What about infecting your pc with computer viruses this way ?
Giano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 09:05 AM   #15
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giano View Post
What about infecting your pc with computer viruses this way ?
Sure, if you don't know where and how to look, you can get that. And if you don't have a good AV program.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:18 AM   #16
Giano
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Sure, if you don't know where and how to look, you can get that. And if you don't have a good AV program.
Yep :-) I was curious (google!), hell, you can download almost every plugin as torrent/cracked version, but very strange websites ??!
I do not dare download and check anything. Only have Microsoft security.

Last edited by Giano; 12-31-2014 at 09:32 AM.
Giano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 09:54 AM   #17
ProfRhino

Quote:
Sounds like something definitely got messed up in the registry there. You skipping Komplete 5 installer might have something to do with it...
Sure enough, installing EP1.5 from Komplete5 did the trick.
It also overwrote my relatively current Surveillance Center with a vintage version, complete with broken switches and all that.
After reinstalling the current SC version all was fine and authorized perfectly again, including EP1.5 standalone and library in Kontakt.
Just like it ever was, only now the piano works.
Makes you wonder who has the most messed-up installers, NI or Steinberg.
Incidentally, both products themselves are amazingly good functionally ...
Not talking about Steinberg's UI trainwreck of course.

Re skipping Komplete 5 :
It seemed perfectly logical to do so back then.
Clean, chronological install to dedicated samples SSD.
I had to update a few older plugs from Komplete 4 to their final versions, using quick, small installers, everything else came with Komplete 6 anyway.
So why bother with that heavy, huge Komplete 5 DVD pack at all ?
And it worked fine, except for that piano.

Lol, you never stop learning, I guess.
Many thanks to all who contributed, I went into so much detail as there is no other thread anywhere actually presenting a solution to this problem yet, only loose ends. Maybe somebody might find it helpful in the future ...

A happy, healthy and successful new year to all of you,
Rhino
Old 12-31-2014, 10:00 AM   #18
DarkStar

Good oh!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfRhino View Post
Curious - before doing that, how did you get EP1.5 and its library onto your system?
Old 12-31-2014, 10:12 AM   #19
ProfRhino

And regarding download of "streamlined versions" - I'm not judging anybody, but personally I prefer to actually own my tools instead of simply "picking them up".
The flipside of the coin is however, I tend to expect quality for my money and don't mind being a PITA when it comes to discussing bugs, issues and roadmaps.
There is no free lunch ...
Lol,
Rhino
Old 12-31-2014, 10:18 AM   #20
ProfRhino

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
Good oh!

Curious - before doing that, how did you get EP1.5 and its library onto your system?
Simple - by updating EP1.0 to 1.5, those were standalone products too and had their own updaters (in my case I had them installed from previous Kompletes already), you got a new serial for the 1.5 version.
All official, legal and meant that way - but something in the standalone installers / updaters obviously is different to the bundle version.
cheers,
Rhino
Old 12-31-2014, 10:21 AM   #21
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfRhino View Post
It also overwrote my relatively current Surveillance Center with a vintage version, complete with broken switches and all that.
After reinstalling the current SC version all was fine and authorized perfectly again, including EP1.5 standalone and library in Kontakt.
It's Service Center, not Surveillance Center.

Also... in old NI installers I think you had an option to install SC or not. Never do that again, obviously, since SC was updated umpteen times since back then.
Old 12-31-2014, 10:33 AM   #22
ProfRhino

Quote:
It's Service Center, not Surveillance Center.

Also... in old NI installers I think you had an option to install SC or not. Never do that again, obviously, since SC was updated umpteen times since back then.
I know what you mean, just had that with Waves, but no, didn't see that option with the specific installers today. They probably changed that later on.

And re that ominous Center, I never found any aspect actually serving the (paying) user ...
lol,
Rhino
Old 12-31-2014, 10:56 AM   #23
Win Conway

Quote:
Well, that doesn't apply for discontinued software. They discontinued support for Elektrik Piano ages ago, they're not required by any law to fix it or keep it up to date.
Completely untrue, the whole thrust of the change in law is that a product is a product, and no product should stop working just because a company no longer sells said product.
Like i said, OS aside that is, if they said it will only run in win98 and you are trying for something else, then this is actually a grey area that a couple of cases in progress right now are covering
Also they are required to fix any product that is sold that does work exactly as described when purchased and used in the supported way, if not, then they are required by law to actually give you the source or allow you to decompile and fix said software yourself and actually ask for recompense

there is a hell of a lot more to the law than most developers would have you believe hahaha, rather than actually support the law, a lot of developers are now changing their EULA fine print, so that you are basically renting the product, however again their is a current case that is inspecting this, because small print says rent and point of sales says buy this, it is a minefield right now.